H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

Response from Consulate

Hi Guys -

Need some input here. I have applied for H1 B visa in May 2006. At that time - the consul gave me 221(g) telling me my case needs administrative processing and they need to verify the employer / client details. The case was forwarded to the State Dept and the State Dept had actually called up the client site manager for project verification.

I have receieved a letter from the Consulate yesterday requesting additional information. One of the items listed is

A notarized list of petitioner's employees at the job site listed. The list should show all employee names, their specific job titles, and their individual salaries and immigration status.

Can you please tell me what the job site here means - is that the client or my employer?. Did any one had similar experience? and what was the outcome. What is the consulate trying to accomplish with these details?.

Thanks!

notorized...

Hi James,
we are in the same boat. i need to submit the docs for the same. it meant for what are all the resources alloted for the particular project from the petitioner. it meant for petitioner only not client.

with love,
aiya.

Emergency appointment Experience

Hi,
Anyone who got their Visa under emergency appointment(Returning worker category), can you please post your experience here..

Latest Chennai today

Before I went for interview, I thought I am from the India’s biggest software exporter (Don’t want to name it) and I had 4 stampings already, So My interview will be done in couple o mins. But she took me on and went for more than 20 mins. BTW I am with my wife as well.

Be cautious about these things.
She Asked all the requested docs…like passport, 156,157, I-129, 797…

What will you be doing?
Temporary worker as a Software Engineer

Who is your employer??
Xxx xxxx xxxx

Are you working for them first time?
Yes.

How many people are there with the company?
##

How long you are married?
4 yrs..

Do you have any kids?
Nope..

(She started doing something in Computer I gues she was looking at my company history..and then reverted after 2 min)

I think here started the problem………………….

Have been to US before? How long?
Yes. Close to 5 years.

Have you lived in Canda(I had Canada stamp also)..
No We visited there.

What is your project? Who is the client. ?( I thought I am stumped.. :( )
I said I will work with my compny directly in internal project.

So you don’t have any specific project or client right now?
Then I said .Once I reach US my SSN will be verified which I already posess
Then I will be under going an induction program and submitting my I 9 and W4. After this only clients and specific project details will be known

Small tip :-
If your project is confirmed say it and elaborate it. Unfortunately I didn’t have the project. Request your employer to give the project description letter and if possible get SRS and Project management structure….

Then followed these questions

Do you work in INDIA now?
Yes
Who is your current employer?
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX (Number one software exporter in INDIA just to hint you )

2. Do you have work there to go and start working?
Yes they badly need me ( I already told her that they have an internal project for me to start on immediately) .

3. How do you say that they need you immediately?
Please have a look at letter from my employer letter it describes my proposed duties.

Do you have your employer taxreturns...

Yes. Please have alook at 2005 tax filings..showed her bunch of records..

4. Whats your degree? (Come on..?? She can say rejected.. not any more.. I concluded in my mind)
I have to show the certificates both Masters in Aerospace Engineering and Bachelors in Mechanical from AU…

Have you worked in Aerospace anytime before?
No. Immediately after my masters I moved onto Software Engineering.

Then she again went back to her computer and took around 3 mins( those 180 seconds I still remember )
Final Verdict: Sir, I am ……….(I heard refusing in tension) your VISA. There are couple of problems with this company. Be careful. Make sure you are paid for your experience. If any problems, Please contact these. And Gave me a US Labour department card.

BY The Way I heard wrong. I am Sorry. She said "Sir, I am issuing you a VISA".
Thanks to GOD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
US Children not allowed in Chennai consulate

:confused:

I emailed Chennai enquiring about getting along my US born infant in the Consulate. We got an email response from chennai stating that any US children should be left outside with baby-sitters. Did anybody have success in taking US kids in Chennai lately?

I would appreciate this info as we have nobody at Chennai.

Thanks

221(g) More details on project and Letter from Client asked

Hi All,

I am into a strange situation. Pls read and help me how do I go about it.

I attended interview in XX Nov 2006 at Chennai Consulate. I was issued 221(g) asking me to give the following in e-mail:

(1) more details on the project that I mentioned I will be working in USA.
(2) Letter from the client

Strange situation, my petitioner is a consultant in USA, i had very few details of the project to mention (as you all know only after entering US on H1, my consultant will market me for a job, after getting a job, then only I will infact know who is the client) . Also regarding client of the project, I think I committed some Client name assuming Consulate Officer will be OK with that.

But now I am asked to provide more details on the project and also letter from client mentioning the project and stating employees of my petitioner working on that project.

Pls suggest me what should I do in this scenario?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The first mistake you did is lieing to the consular office. Never ever lie to consular officer if you cannot corroborate your statement. I am not dissappointing you, but try to get a letter from your employer stating your potential client will be so and so and you will be working for them. You can go back to the consular and tell thet the client you told to him earlier was one of their clients and not necessarily you will be working with them. Best of luck!

not to disappoint you, if you get 221(g), you may be stuck for weeks. i got stuck for about 5-6 weeks in 2004. recently, a friend of mine got stuck for 3 months..of course, my line of work is R&D that probably explains the delay...maybe for software, they may issue a visa sooner.
good luc!

I had my interview at the Chennai consulate on Friday @ 3:45 (Worst time to get an appointment I think) and was given a 221g with almost all the columns ticked. The VO did never had a look on any of the document, I had almost 70% of the docs on what was ticked in the 221g. What I was missing is the End Client details.

Let me share with you guys on what I suspect would have went wrong. The very first question was "Have you ever been to US?" The answer is "Yes" . Then she started asking what type of VISA and I told B1/B2. Then followed the interesting thing from the VO, What were you doing there for the 6 Months. I was in US on B1/B2 for very close to 6 months. This happened about 5 yrs and 6 months back. She was NOT convienced when I said that it is for a Training and Knowledge Transfer, I took the caution of NOT mentioning that I was there for Work.

Almost many Indian companies try to exploit the loop holes as B1/B2 saves lot of tax money for the Employer. So I am such a victim. When you are send from your company on B1/B2 be sure you retain those Invitation Letters from the Company in US which would state the purpose. Although you would be on Work, upon seeing something they would get convienced. I was able to convience the VO while travelling for B1/B2 with a valid Invitation letter stating the reason as Training (but actually for Working).

The beauty of the Interview with regard to H1 this time is I was never asked a single question related to H1 all were revolving around my previous trip and the nature of duties I perform on a day to day basis.

Now I am going thru the hurdles of 221g. Though the petitioner agrees to assist me with the required papers, the processing time involved is a big pain. I do not have any idea on how long the processing takes after dropping the required documents in the VFS drop box.

My kind advise would be "BE VERY CAREFUL ON THE DAYS YOU SPEND IN US WHILE IN B1/B2" .

End Client letter - Sample Requested

Can someone post a sample end client letter please?

Would greatly appreciate your help!

sakreg said:
I had my interview at the Chennai consulate on Friday @ 3:45 (Worst time to get an appointment I think) and was given a 221g with almost all the columns ticked. The VO did never had a look on any of the document, I had almost 70% of the docs on what was ticked in the 221g. What I was missing is the End Client details.

Let me share with you guys on what I suspect would have went wrong. The very first question was "Have you ever been to US?" The answer is "Yes" . Then she started asking what type of VISA and I told B1/B2. Then followed the interesting thing from the VO, What were you doing there for the 6 Months. I was in US on B1/B2 for very close to 6 months. This happened about 5 yrs and 6 months back. She was NOT convienced when I said that it is for a Training and Knowledge Transfer, I took the caution of NOT mentioning that I was there for Work.

Almost many Indian companies try to exploit the loop holes as B1/B2 saves lot of tax money for the Employer. So I am such a victim. When you are send from your company on B1/B2 be sure you retain those Invitation Letters from the Company in US which would state the purpose. Although you would be on Work, upon seeing something they would get convienced. I was able to convience the VO while travelling for B1/B2 with a valid Invitation letter stating the reason as Training (but actually for Working).

The beauty of the Interview with regard to H1 this time is I was never asked a single question related to H1 all were revolving around my previous trip and the nature of duties I perform on a day to day basis.

Now I am going thru the hurdles of 221g. Though the petitioner agrees to assist me with the required papers, the processing time involved is a big pain. I do not have any idea on how long the processing takes after dropping the required documents in the VFS drop box.

My kind advise would be "BE VERY CAREFUL ON THE DAYS YOU SPEND IN US WHILE IN B1/B2" .

New aspirant

Hi, i'm a new aspirant for H1B. Can any one tell me do i need to bring the current company photographs for VISA interview. that would be great advise to me.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Srujan

H4 Stamped - H1 Stamping expired

My wife got H4 visa stamped 0n 28th December from Chennai.

This is 7th year on H1 B
My H1 visa stamp in passport is expired (2003)

I didn't go for stamping

I was concerned based on some postings that they will ask for Husbands valid H1 stamping. It was not a problem

Scheduling the interview in chennai

My spouse and I were planning to go to interview in Jan. 2007.Is it possible to schedule the interview together so that we can attend the interview at the same time

stamping with a Startup
I was on H1 before for 7 yrs and then came back to india for a one yr break.

Now I applied for my H1 thru a consulting company which happens to be a startup.

- I am wondering if I should go for the "Stamping" with a startup, especially since I will be the first one to do so from the company.

- If so, what documents should I take along. at the top of my head..
Company financial docs, Tax Returns, Office Pics, Lease Aggrements etc..
are all these necessary?

- Should I just transfer to another company & hopefully make it easier...??

I am on Company X H1 since last 2 years (after completing Masters here in US) and I just had it stamped in Feb 07 at Ottawa, got married in March 07 in India and I am currently back in US and my wife is in India and has to appear for her first H4 stamping.

Unfortunately i could not have H4 stamping done for my wife while I was there in India and now my wife has to appear by herself in Chennai.

The thing is I have to TRANSFER my H1 from Company X to Company Y immidiately in first week of May 07.
I expect the transfer process to be completed by end of May 07.

Is it OK for my wife to appear for H4 stamping with Company Y papers where as my VISA is stamped on Company X and valid until 2009?

Thanks,
Rahul

I am on Company X H1 since last 2 years (after completing Masters here in US) and I just had it stamped in Feb 07 at Ottawa, got married in March 07 in India and I am currently back in US and my wife is in India and has to appear for her first H4 stamping.

Unfortunately i could not have H4 stamping done for my wife while I was there in India and now my wife has to appear by herself in Chennai.

The thing is I have to TRANSFER my H1 from Company X to Company Y immidiately in first week of May 07.
I expect the transfer process to be completed by end of May 07.

Is it OK for my wife to appear for H4 stamping with Company Y papers where as my VISA is stamped on Company X and valid until 2009?

Thanks,
Rahul

I would wait for the transfer proces to complete and then send the necessary docs for H-4 stamping.

DS 156 question for H-1 B stamping

Hi

I am planing to go for H-1B stampng in Mumbai some time in June/july.

I am confused about what to write in question-31 of DS 156 form.

I came here on student visa in Jan 2001 and currently h-1 approved (not stamped) since March 06.

When I orginally applied for student visa in Oct 2000 I was given probably 221 G. then I reappeared in Dec 2000 and my Student visa were granted.

So on my DS 156 what should I write in question-31 - which ask " Have you ever been refused US visa ? Yes or No?

Does replying yes will result in denial of H-1 Stampng? I work for reputed University in USA and already working there since last two yrs. I also have my I-140 approved and I-485 pending.

help from experienced members will solve my confusion.

thanks

Hi

I am planing to go for H-1B stampng in Mumbai some time in June/july.

I am confused about what to write in question-31 of DS 156 form.

I came here on student visa in Jan 2001 and currently h-1 approved (not stamped) since March 06.

When I orginally applied for student visa in Oct 2000 I was given probably 221 G. then I reappeared in Dec 2000 and my Student visa were granted.

So on my DS 156 what should I write in question-31 - which ask " Have you ever been refused US visa ? Yes or No?

Does replying yes will result in denial of H-1 Stampng? I work for reputed University in USA and already working there since last two yrs. I also have my I-140 approved and I-485 pending.

help from experienced members will solve my confusion.

thanks

Was your visa denied under 221G? Usually this is approved after additional administrative processing ... just my thoughts. Experts, please add here.