Get OCI reissued after passport renewal OR travel with both passports?

thinker_new

We have a new Canadian passport for my son (minor)who has an oci.We are Canadian passport holders with oci resident in India and need to go out of India for a short time.
Can we go out even if the new oci is not issued by the time we go out( we have already applied but the process is getting delayed and we need to go out soon) with the old oci and u visa.Will there be problems in Indian immigration.

You don't need new OCI.
You can travel with you, as long as you carry the old passport with you.
Just apply for a sticker transfer if you like after your trip...

I don't mean to scare you but I thought it is necessary to get a new U-visa sticker when u get a new passport. Below is the info from the chicago consulate website. Not sure if Indian immigration will give any trouble if you don't have a new U-visa for the new passport. It is always better to double-check with the indian consulate. Otherwise the best would be to get an Indian visa for this trip.

"In case of issuance of new foreign passport:

OCI registration certificate and ‘U’ visa sticker contain the passport number of the OCI holder. Accordingly, each time a new passport is issued to an OCI holder; it has to be captured on the registration certificate and U visa sticker. This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and U visa sticker each time a new passport is acquired by the applicant in the following cases

Ø Up to the completion of 20 years of age, OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued to the holder.

Ø Between 21-50 years of age, there is no need to seek re-issuance of OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she may avail the service for re-issuance of OCI documents.

Ø After the completion of 50 years of age, OCI documents have to be re-issued once after issuance of a new passport"

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help me.

These two things are contradictory. But maybe since they introduced the misc service
later they have made it compulsory for new oci card for minors.

/mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf
//25. Will a new OCI visa sticker be pasted on the new foreign passport after the expiry of the old passport?
Yes. On payment of requisite fee, a new OCI ‘U’ visa sticker will be issued. However, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport wherein the OCI ‘U’ visa sticker was pasted along with new passport for visiting India without seeking a new visa, as the visa is lifelong.//

/mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf
//3. OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.//

I am resident in India and already applied for new oci and u visa for my son at Chennai FRRO but its getting delayed (status is "UnderProcess" and its more than 5 weeks")
and i need to go out for a short visit with family (1st week of April) cant postpone it so I cant wait for new oci if it is delayed.

I dont want any problems at immigration so I need to know if u know of anybody had gone through Indian Immigration in the recent past with a minor who had new passport but used the u visa on old passport without any problems.

Thank u

Visit the link and talk to them or send email to ALL and if get any info please post.
http://moia.gov.in/showinfo1.asp?linkid=482

I will call AND will send Email to all
Shri K. Mohandas
Shri D.N. Srivastava
Dr. Ranbir Singh
Ms. Sandhya Shukla
Shri V.B. Singh
Shri. Mithlesh Kumar
Shri K.B. Arora

Last edited by a moderator:
thinker_new,
We are in the same boat as you are. We are flying to India in June and I am pretty sure we will not get the OCI reissued for my daughter in-time (haven't received her new US passport yet). So please let us know what your arrival experience in India is.

BTW, I found the below information on Chicago Indian-consulate's website.
"IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OCI CARD HOLDERS
OCI card holders traveling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa sticker and OCI Card to avoid problems at Immigration check points in India. In case registered OCI has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure to carry the passport containing U Visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India. ALTERNATIVELY Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under “OCI Misc Service” particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited."
(unfortunately I can't post a link since I have less than 15 posts...so here is the website
chicago.indianconsulate.com/iNFOOCIHOLDERS.htm)

My plan is to take a printout of this page and carry it with me to India...so if the immigration officer asks any questions or give us any trouble, I present this printout to them and hopefully all problems are solved.

Good luck!
Thanks.

Get OCI reissued after passport renewal or travel with both passports

Hello, has anyone renewed their passport and got the OCI sticker transferred to the new passport? Do they give you new booklet/visa with the new photo? Ho long did it take? Thank you!

Travel with OCI visa on expired passport

Hello, has anyone travelled with a renewed passport while the OCI visa sticker was on the old passport? Any problems travelling if the OCI visa sticker is not transffered to the new passport? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Hello thinker_new and mtillu... were you able to travel with the OCI visa sticker on the old passport.... did you have any problems. will appreicate any info. Thank you very much!

Hi ImmiPortalUser,
We are traveling to India in June/July. I have already submitted the papers for new OCI sticker for my daughter. If we receive it before we leave for India, then that will be great...if not, we will travel with her old passport and then after we come back we will get the new OCI from the consulate.
I will post our experience.
Thanks.

Hello, has anyone travelled with a renewed passport while the OCI visa sticker was on the old passport? Any problems travelling if the OCI visa sticker is not transffered to the new passport? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you very much!

It should not be a problem, I believe - I have had that experience before (Visa on an expired passport, while travelling to India on a new passport)

OCI Reissue after US Passport Renewal

I just got my OCI reissued after getting a new US passport. Here is the time line:

18-May-2009 - application mailed (with passports and OCI card)
20-May-2009 - application received by CGI SFO (USPS Priority)
27-May-2009 - date of acknowledgment
28-May-2009 - photo/Signature scanned
28-May-2009 - registration status granted
28-May-2009 - documents printed
01-Jun-2009 - documents dispatched from Delhi
06-Jun-2009 - documents received at CGI SFO (actually 05-Jun in USA)
08-Jun-2009 - passports mailed from CGI SFO (USPS Express)
09-Jun-2009 - passports received with U visa sticker and new OCI card

This is from SFO. Your mileage may vary at other consulates/embassy. Fairly straightforward process... for SFO, start here http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci_misc.html. Look for similar links at websites of other offices. Let me know if you have any questions.

Few questions -
How much did it cost?
Did the consulate return old OCI card?
Why did you decide to go thru this?

Few questions -
How much did it cost?
Did the consulate return old OCI card?
Why did you decide to go thru this?

1. Fee of $25 + postage, etc. for an additional $20-$25.
2. Old OCI card is not returned, instead a brand new card (with new passport # and new picture) is issued.
3. I fall under: "OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completion of 50 years of age." - see #16 in http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQs-28.12.07.pdf

Update: We received the new OCI sticker for my daughter who has got a new passport now. The process was very simple and very fast. As per the OCI inquiry online link, it was received in Chicago a week from the acknowledgement date. So we will be traveling to India with her new OCI.

Update: We received the new OCI sticker for my daughter who has got a new passport now. The process was very simple and very fast. As per the OCI inquiry online link, it was received in Chicago a week from the acknowledgement date. So we will be traveling to India with her new OCI.

That's great. I too completed the same process via SFO this week.

Also, I will merge the current 2 threads on the same topic into one so that all the discussion can be found in one place. Thanks.

OCI procedure with new passport

Hello

My son's passport expires in April 2010. He will be 5 at that time. I will be obtaining a new US passport at that time.

How can I transfer the OCI sticker to the new passport ? If I go directly to the New York consulate in the morning, will they do this for me ?