GC not a birthright

Dear Blister,

We do not moan/groan abt GC being approved/disapproved. It's the in-ordinate delay that we complain abt and we do have a right for that.
Now imagine American Citizens going through such an ordeal with any of America's Govt. agencies- boy -they would tear down the Government. The hardworking aliens spend $5000-10000 in the process and yet have to put up with this crap.

The US govt. (they run USCIS) applies double standards with their own borders while serving their own citizens and foriegners when both pay same taxes.So much "fairness" on the part of Govt. equality,liberty,justice!!! No wonder US has credibility problem around the world.

You sound more like that company director in "North Country" asking the employee to resign or tolerate everything. Iam glad that the entire US is not made up of people like you.

enjoy your life now

Arvind_I140 said:
everyone has a right to expect to live a decent life free from slavery and bondage.

Aravind ... do U work for desi employer ?

I often wonder why desi employer expoilt only desi guys ... I know a guy who was lucky to get GC fast thru the desi employer ... his employer was not good either .. paid low and in irregular manner ... He often mad at his employer and vowed to quit after he gets his GC ... well he quit after the GC ....Now he has opened a body shop company himself and last time he said .. he has got 12 Murgas form India...
Now he pays them once in 2 months and cuts huge sum from the billrate etc.
Has put all of them in 2 single bedroom apartment .... hmmm.

Has any one who works for non-desi company .. been exploited to that extent .. just because they are processing there GC?

Desi guys must improve there culture and attitude towards people ... for now it looks like an evil society .....

Surprising

Blisters1889

I am amazed you found my comments - "veiled threats". When did straight talk become "veiled threats"?

Sometimes truth is tough to swallow. I am highlighting that immigration process may cause disenchantment. You know what is the biggest problem Europe has - a disenchanted immigrant community. Remember France? Fortunately, USA has avoided that.

BTW - I do not think I have to grateful or indebted to USA for GC. USA needs skilled labor which is why it has its doors open. Remember, USA does everything in self-interest.

And in the future, it will have to open its doors even more - you know why?

Because of its aging population. There just will not be enough "young" workers to support that "aging" population. Europe already is in trouble because of aging population, low birth rates, high social safety net, etc. Without immigrants, USA will go the same way. This is what experts say, not me.

The fact is USA DOES need us and all we are asking is for a FAIR, STREAMLINED PROCESS.

==================================
Things unrelated to GC process:

Question: What has India's foreign policy "stupidities" got to do with USA's GC process?

I agree with you, Indian government, like many other governments, has done many stupid things. Jammu & Kashmir, Tibet, Uganda, Fiji, Sri Lanka, etc.

But, I do know there are many things India has done right.

Like Government of India gave the world's richest country money when Katrina happened.

Also, when Asian Tsunami happened, India was in the forefront of help to other countries.

Also, when China overran Tibet, India was the only country which took in Tibetan refugees. Dalai Lama lives in safety in India.

Not to mention throughout centuries, people prosecuted in their home countries found a refuge in India. Remember Parsis.

I also know India is one of the largest contributor to UN peacekeeping efforts. Indians have died trying to maintain peace in various African countries.

I can go on listing things India did right.

Also, regarding stupidity of USA, UK and other countries, I can definitely give you a long list.

But this all has nothing to do with the GC process.

So, let's not drag India's or any other countries' foreign policy into this forum.

==============================================

Regards
GCStrat :)

blister1889 said:
IT is amazing to me how some people think it is their birthright to get a GC and they start moaning and groaning about how long it is taking. Please understand clearly that it is not your birthright to get a GC. It is a priviliege accorded to certain and a fixed number of people and you have to get in line and wait as long as it takes. Be it 3 ,5 or 10 years !!
I know it sounds blunt and rude , but that is the fact. I know it pains to wait, but the pain does not mean that the govt just hand out GCs to everybody like drivers licences.
They have to consider everything including the effect that will have on the people alredy here..and no matter how much you think you are great or useful to the USA, somebody else has to think that too..

Who said GC is a birth right? All we want is a timely decision on our GC application...is that too much to ask for?

blister1889blister1889,

Nobody thinks its a birthright, we all know its a privilege to be here, that's not the point.

Keeping people in a queue for the purposes of limiting the flow of immigration is a completely different issue than not addressing the incompetence of the USCIS policies and practices.

The issues most of us groan about are based on USCIS not being able to coherently come to a decision on our cases. There is no reason it should take 5 years to find out whether one is eligible to be here or not.

Personally, when my case was being processed there were no limits on visa numbers. Why did it take 5 years? The ONLY reason(s) I waited so long was because USCIS could not process my case in a timely fashion. All they could do was to extend the processing time by 10 percent every month or so, giving random excuses, including the processing of illegal immigrant at the time (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that were put in the queue in forn t of me, hurricanes, lost cases, and every stupid excuse under the moon, transferring my case from service center to service center to the local office only wasted more time. If a public company would be run like USCIS is, their stock would be worthless. If they could only have told me that my case was approved or denied, but visa numbers won't be available for another 5 years, then that's a different story. At least I would have known, and I wouldn't have to have put my life on hold for so long with all the uncertainty.

This is why we complain. Not because we feel its our "birthright".

The sheer volume of work throws every infrastructure into a havoc

sick_of_waiting said:
Who said GC is a birth right? All we want is a timely decision on our GC application...is that too much to ask for?

Yes every one wants 'timely decision' ... may be at the most in a years time.
But one must also see the problem from the USCIS angle....

1> Since they have come under the umbrella Homeland Sec ... more red tapes
2> Less number of adjucators .... tax cuts need to go hand in hand with spending .... so they cannot hire more.
3> More security checks then before .... the process has slowed down.
4> More guys are applying .... specially from India, china etc ...

we are seeing only the tip of iceberg in the EB area .... I know a company nearby ... which has applied for over 220 GC ... all of the guys are not in US but in India .. It is Legal ... but I am trying to make a point that ... there are tons of people even in India who are waiting for GC to be competed....

The sheer volume of work throws every infrastructure into a havoc... increasing quota etc etc that congress is working towards might only be a BandAid solution.

We don't have a birthright to a green card.

What we do have is an earned and paid right to have a timely decision made on our green card applications, because the US government has collected thousands of dollars in various fees for each of our applications. They are providing a service which we have dearly PAID for.

And where that is not possible, we have an earned right to be given enough information to determine how long the decision will take, rather than waiting and wondering whether it will take 6 months or 6 years longer. Instead, they keep us in the dark with respect to the number of green cards approved this fiscal year and the statistics on the pending I-485 applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
coming to think of it..........we are not even the service requester in true sense......it is our employers who apply for our GC.....and since getting us quick GC is not beneficial to them.....they do not complain about the shit system...

blister bhayi and many others never understand the system,

in a democratic country we have right to crib, bitch, protest against the system and ofcourse it's our birth right to voice our concernts and there is nothing wrong with that.

techy2468 said:
it is our employers who apply for our GC
Incorrect.

Our employers apply for our Labour Certification, and our I-140. Similarly in a family based petition, our US family members apply for the I-130.

We apply for a green card by filing an I-485, or filing for consular processing, not our employers.

my point is.....we are given GC because our employer requests for that.......and in fact all the rules are such that if the employer wants he can pull the plug anytime...

even after filing I-485 we are not safe....and the EB based immigration has been designed for the employer......they have to protest if they are not happy........we are just beneficiaries....

techy, u r right. It is a political issue and we don't have support from employers.

The EB system was designed to get highly skilled workers from outside the country and also make sure that a skilled worker really contributes to maintain his/her identity.

Applying per country quota does not help anyone. If the govt is really serious about applying per country quota then must do it for h1b visas so that the intake matches GC processing and there is no overload. But they dont do it.

The "Intention is clear". The road has been paved rough.

All this works to the benefit of employers. Employers from all countries benefit by this. Believe me, I know some Chinese, Indinesian, Singapore companies which exploit h1bs to the core, they exploitation they do is nothing compared what desi consulting companies do. In fact, I worked fulltime for 4 years for a mid sized american company and got cheated on comp time and bonuses just because I was on h1b.

A good way to move ahead in a planned manner is to identify good consulting conmpanies who do not cheat where we have control and access over our immigration issues. Just move over to such companies and make employers have less control. Such a thing will make lives better (if not 100% happy).