• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

FYI about Unlocking DS-260

Obviously, Iranians can be living anywhere and there are some areas where there are large Iranian communities (such as Hamburg). So those Iranians resident abroad would interview at their local embassy. However, for Iranian residents there are 3 embassies that handle the visa interviews given the lack of a local embassy.

I have helpfully pointed out the 3 embassies on a map with an extra arrow for Frankfurt - just to illustrate the point. :p:cool::)

View attachment 459
Thank you, Britsimon, this explains it. Thank you for including the map, after some years in the US, one might loose orientation... :)

Hello,

My wife is winner of DV 2015 with CN 2015AS7xxx and we're from Iran. Our post is Ankara, Turkey. We submitted DS-260 in early June 2014.

Due to expiration of my wife's passport she got a new passport. So that seemed I should update passport number in the DS-260. I consulted with a lawyer and he told you should request to unlock the DS-260 and update it there.

I did so and asked KCC to unlock the forms last week and they did it immediately (same day), But immediately after KCC unlocked my form, I read some forums and noticed that any changes may require the case to be processed again by KCC and so our interview may be delayed. So I did some more search and asked a few other guys and all of them stressed that I should re-submit the DS-260 without any changes or KCC will process it again (which they told would take about 4-5 months and no chance for Visa)

Finally, I submitted the DS-260 again without any changes and replied to KCC email and mentioned that I have made no changes to the form.

Now, Due to unlocking the form (and locking it without any changes) and possible AP for our case (as we're from Iran) I'm worry about our interview being delayed (or even we don't get interview time at all).

I would appreciate if you can advice and share your ideas as I'm so worry about that.

Regards,
Hamid

Processing or re-processing the DS-260 form in this case isn't going to be 3-5 month situation. While I ordinarily would have suggested not bothering to update the DS form with the new passport number, but because you guys are from Iran and your wife would have had the new passport for quite a while before the interview, my suggestion would be to unlock the form and update it. Iranians are highly subjected to the AP process, this is something I would do to further reduce the possibility of that happening or the amount of time spent on AP if it were to happen.

SusieQQQ, Britsimon, I do much appreciate your help. Thank you.

So the thing in common between your ideas is that I will not face any issues due to unlocking and locking the form after a week without any changes. Am I right? May that cause AP? How about unlocking it again for passport number update?

I should add that my own passport will be also expired within next 10 months and I believe I must get a new one because of 6-months validity requirement (To allow me have a trip to Turkey for interview).

Do you believe sending an email to Ankara post when my CN is current and informing them of the new passports (along with scan of both) will help?

And do you believe KCC processing for Iranian cases take same time as others? (because lack of US embassy here)

As I have not served in military nor had any relation to the government, I'm going to prevent anything causing AP.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Hamid

Now with regards to your own personal situation, I'm assuming you don't yet have your new passport, so I wouldn't bother about updating it. Not sure when you will get it but I'm thinking you wouldn't have enough time by the time you get it for KCC to unlock your form and for you to update it before being scheduled. In which case, you will just have to show up with both the old and the new passports for your interview.

Processing or re-processing the DS-260 form in this case isn't going to be 3-5 month situation. While I ordinarily would have suggested not bothering to update the DS form with the new passport number, but because you guys are from Iran and your wife would have had the new passport for quite a while before the interview, my suggestion would be to unlock the form and update it. Iranians are highly subjected to the AP process, this is something I would do to further reduce the possibility of that happening or the amount of time spent on AP if it were to happen.

Now with regards to your own personal situation, I'm assuming you don't yet have your new passport, so I wouldn't bother about updating it. Not sure when you will get it but I'm thinking you wouldn't have enough time by the time you get it for KCC to unlock your form and for you to update it before being scheduled. In which case, you will just have to show up with both the old and the new passports for your interview.

Thanks Mom,

So I'll go ahead and ask to unlock the form again. As for my own passport, It's valid until March 2016 but as far as it should be valid for 6-months and we have to go to Turkey for interview that seems I must get a new one. My CN is 2015AS76xx so hopefully our interview would be in Aug.

I can get my new passport within 1-2 weeks. If you believe that would help, I'll go ahead and request a new one immediately and then update my passport number as well. What you think?

Sincerely,

Thanks Mom,

So I'll go ahead and ask to unlock the form again. As for my own passport, It's valid until March 2016 but as far as it should be valid for 6-months and we have to go to Turkey for interview that seems I must get a new one. My CN is 2015AS76xx so hopefully our interview would be in Aug.

I can get my new passport within 1-2 weeks. If you believe that would help, I'll go ahead and request a new one immediately and then update my passport number as well. What you think?

Sincerely,

You don't have a lot of time with regards to yours, like I said. If your CN becomes current in August, that means KCC will be scheduling your interview in June, and once they do that they can no longer unlock your form. Remember, it's not like they will respond to the unlock request immediately, they may take a couple of days before they respond. So go ahead and contact them now, get your wife's information updated ASAP and stop dragging about it. As for yours since you can get a new one within a week or two, I see nothing wrong in waiting until after you're scheduled or even a moth before your interview before applying for a new one. They will understand why you're showing up with a new passport in this case.

Thanks Mom, You're very helpful.

I just asked them to unlock the form by email.

There is also another issue on the DS-260 form for my wife where we have entered Education and Word Experience in the reverse order. They were asked to enter the last education and job first but we have entered the first one first and the last one last. Do you believe I should update it as well and re-arrange the order or leave it untouched?

Thanks Mom, You're very helpful.

I just asked them to unlock the form by email.

There is also another issue on the DS-260 form for my wife where we have entered Education and Word Experience in the reverse order. They were asked to enter the last education and job first but we have entered the first one first and the last one last. Do you believe I should update it as well and re-arrange the order or leave it untouched?

Not a big deal, but since you're unlocking the form already, you might as well go ahead and make those corrections.

Not a big deal, but since you're unlocking the form already, you might as well go ahead and make those corrections.

That means re-processing time could not be affected by what I change in the forms? If that would affect re-processing time and also would not cause AP, I prefer to keep it untouched, What you think?

That means re-processing time could not be affected by what I change in the forms? If that would affect re-processing time and also would not cause AP, I prefer to keep it untouched, What you think?

Why are you reluctant to correct something that's obviously an error which you've also noticed yourself? Anyway, it's your case, do what you think is best.

Why are you reluctant to correct something that's obviously an error which you've also noticed yourself? Anyway, it's your case, do what you think is best.

Do you believe correction of the order for Education/Work would make reprocess longer than when only passport number is changed? If yes, May it put my case on the border line?

If not, Why not updating that as well :)

Thanks

Thanks to the speed of KCC in unlocking my form, I updated both passport and order of previous work records.

Simon, for me with CN 2015AS000076xx when should I expect to receive 2NL? next month? Any hope that reprocess get completed by that time? Any ways to speed it up?

Thanks to the speed of KCC in unlocking my form, I updated both passport and order of previous work records.

Simon, for me with CN 2015AS000076xx when should I expect to receive 2NL? next month? Any hope that reprocess get completed by that time? Any ways to speed it up?

The changes you mention won't cause reprocessing so you should get the 2NL when you are current - and yes that could be next month.

Thanks Simon for your advice.

Do the status of forms in CEAC expected to change before the CN is current? It shows COMPLETED for us, is it as expected?

CN: 2015AS000076XX

Hello everyone , does opening ds 260 form and just reviewing make any problem after submission???
We cant do any changes anyways
Thanks

Hello everyone , does opening ds 260 form and just reviewing make any problem after submission???
We cant do any changes anyways
Thanks

No it doesn't. However, if you need to make any change, you will need to contact KCC for them to unlock the form so that you can make the necessary change(s). If all you want to do is review, by all means feel free to login and review the form without any fear or trepidation.

Hi!

I'm dv2016 winner and already send ds-260 at May 13.

Well, I hurried. I didn't mention high school. :) I'm asked to unlock my form for correct my mistake. Now I worry about interview date. My CN is 9*** and I'm not sure about interviews schedule. How it works? Is schedule based on case number or ds-260 sending date? Is unlocking ds-260 may delay my interview date? I want to end it ASAP.

I understand, my questions may seems weird and paranoid but I'm serious worried. To my 2NL left more than half year and I have all this time going to worry. :) This chance to move to US is important.

Thank you!

Hi!

I'm dv2016 winner and already send ds-260 at May 13.

Well, I hurried. I didn't mention high school. :) I'm asked to unlock my form for correct my mistake. Now I worry about interview date. My CN is 9*** and I'm not sure about interviews schedule. How it works? Is schedule based on case number or ds-260 sending date? Is unlocking ds-260 may delay my interview date? I want to end it ASAP.

I understand, my questions may seems weird and paranoid but I'm serious worried. To my 2NL left more than half year and I have all this time going to worry. :) This chance to move to US is important.

Thank you!

The official word is that unlocking the form would not delay an interview. However, we tend to think that it depends on the information you changing in DS-260. I would think that adding high school would not delay the interview. So unlock it, make the changes, double check everything and re-submit right away. KCC should go by your original submission date.

What's your region (Africa, Asia, Europe)?
There is nothing to worry about. If you are from Africa or Europe, you will get your chance even if it sightly delays your processing. If you are from Asia, your interview is about a year away, so there is plenty of time.