Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Packet 3 Contains
1)Your Letter of requisition addressing the Consulate
Clearly Specify your A#, Priority Date and EB Category, when you got married and when you got GC in the body of the letter.
2)DS 230 Part i and Part 2(Part Filled but not signed) filled or your wife not for you.
3)your I-140 and I485 Approval Notices
4)Copy of your Green card
5)marriage Certificate
6)Your Spouse's Passport Copy.(you passport copy also)
7)I-824 Approval or Receipt Notice.

She can enter and leave US as long as she has a valid visa. Don't even have to mention. Moreover H1 is dual intent. You can apply for 824 and wait till you get the appointment with the consulate. Travel back for the interview.

Thanks
Rammy.

Thanks Rammyrammy.

I appreciate your response. But can you point me to a link or a website that gives me information about packet 3. Again I apologize I am new to this since I have never been involved in FTJ process.

Also, one more question is: Since you suggest that I apply for I-824 my wife can come on her H1B1 visa and there will be no issues at the POE although I have applied for FTJ i.e applied for I-824. What I mean to ask is she can continue to be in the US while the process is going on?

Please help with the above 2 questions. Indeed appreciate.

Vinsam

mega007,

Sorry to hear about your case. I am also in similar situation. Residence date is before marriage date. I just applied for I-824. Let's see what happens....

What is your I-485 approval date? Is it before or after your marriage date?

Thanks to this forum and wishing the best of luck for inprocess collegues

Friends,

My wife has arrived safely to USA last night with out any problems. Immigration process was less than 30 minutes.They stamped the arrival stamp on her passport.Thanks again for all for the support and valuble suggestions.

Thanks,
RM

Hello Guys,

still no info regarding the I-824. Will there be any problem if I refile I824 for my wife?

I am thinking that I changed my application I-824 to I-485 have caused some problem. Infopass didn't help me at all. The only like she spoke to me was "Write a letter to TSC" When I told her TSC rep asked me to have an infopass for more info. She said she can't help and she said Calling TSC won't help.

Even after sending 5 emails to fking lawyer, he hasn't responded past 3 months. I am hesitant that changing lawyer will cause more havoc.

here's the story
After I-140 approved
- Applied for I-824 for myself (wife included) - sept 06
- got letter from NVC (regarding payment) - which was replied
- changed from I-824 to I-485 - Oct 06
- I-485 approved - may 07
- Called NVC to find out about my wife's case, he told me that the case is closd since I opted for I-485. they asked me to email me the PR Card which I did

Can someone please suggest on what I should do? Should I find another lawyer or who should I call to find out if I need to refile I-824 or not?

Please help.

greetings to all subscribed in this thread! there is a lot of helpful information here but i tend to get lost with all the visa related jargon that i cannot keep track of the necessary information im trying to find. therefore if anyone would be kind enough to answer some of my question i would really be grateful.

here is my dilema... my boyfriend is working in Thailand and i am here in the Philippines with a US petition I-140. i am still in the initial stages of the petition as i have still to receive and fill up my DS-230. i've heard that even if i did not include my boyfriend's name on the DS-230 that was filed, but do still get married around the time before my Packet 4 arrives(or before interview), I can still bring him with me as long as I've filed and paid the necessary papers needed for him. Is this true?

Is it also true that it takes only about one year processing of a Follow to Join visa after which your hubby can follow you in the US if he wasn't able to go to the US with you at the same time?
Thank you in advance and more power!

First all congratulations to all who successfully completed the FTJ process. Thread has a lot of useful information and guidelines to start and complete the process.

yogkc: Have you contacted embassy/consulate regarding your spouse? They should be able to guide you with the scenario you are facing.

Vinsam: As along as she got VALID status, she can stay in US.

yameen79: Correct. I-824 is about your information. Also, please do attach a letter with spouse details.

You are pretty much on the right track.

But, If I were in your position, I would rather include person in DS-130 now rather then waiting for a year, and then apply for FTJ.

greetings to all subscribed in this thread! there is a lot of helpful information here but i tend to get lost with all the visa related jargon that i cannot keep track of the necessary information im trying to find. therefore if anyone would be kind enough to answer some of my question i would really be grateful.

here is my dilema... my boyfriend is working in Thailand and i am here in the Philippines with a US petition I-140. i am still in the initial stages of the petition as i have still to receive and fill up my DS-230. i've heard that even if i did not include my boyfriend's name on the DS-230 that was filed, but do still get married around the time before my Packet 4 arrives(or before interview), I can still bring him with me as long as I've filed and paid the necessary papers needed for him. Is this true?

Is it also true that it takes only about one year processing of a Follow to Join visa after which your hubby can follow you in the US if he wasn't able to go to the US with you at the same time?
Thank you in advance and more power!

usnycus, Thanks for your response. I did contact Embassy and they told met hat I-824 needs to be approved before they can do anything.

First all congratulations to all who successfully completed the FTJ process. Thread has a lot of useful information and guidelines to start and complete the process.

yogkc: Have you contacted embassy/consulate regarding your spouse? They should be able to guide you with the scenario you are facing.

Vinsam: As along as she got VALID status, she can stay in US.

yameen79: Correct. I-824 is about your information. Also, please do attach a letter with spouse details.

Please go ahead and apply for I-824.

Also, if you post name of the country where your spouse is resident of, someone may be able give you advice specific to that embassy.

usnycus, Thanks for your response. I did contact Embassy and they told met hat I-824 needs to be approved before they can do anything.

I-824 for my wife has already been lodged on Sept 06. I can't seem to get an update calling TSC or infopass. Do you think it will be okay to refile the I-824?

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Please go ahead and apply for I-824.

Also, if you post name of the country where your spouse is resident of, someone may be able give you advice specific to that embassy.

Sep 06, is the one you applied originally, and NVC said that it is closed. right?

File again then. Looks like TSC is working on cases filled in Feb 07.

I-824 for my wife has already been lodged on Sept 06. I can't seem to get an update calling TSC or infopass. Do you think it will be okay to refile the I-824?

Thanks again for your prompt response.

For new members who started viewing recently.

Summary of Process:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1039027&postcount=1088
http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0942053PN.pdf

Steps:
1) Marry someone before GC approval :)
Marriage

2) After GC approval, file for I-824. Please note that many embassy/consulate accept request for FTJ without approved I-824.

3) After I-824 approval, send documents to US consulate/embassy requesting FTJ
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1082084&postcount=1136
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=985829&postcount=1037

4) US embassy/consulate will assign a case # and schedule interview.

5) Appear for FTJ inteview

Interview Experience:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1090677&postcount=1145
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1071557&postcount=1109

List of Documents:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1125854&postcount=1217

6) Enter into US
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1111670&postcount=1176
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1157191&postcount=1249

Finally I got to talk to someone at TSC who knew about the case. She said the offier who was checking my case has left the office and the application could have lost. She asked me to fax the I824 application.

She said it will take a week to forward the case to NVC. I hope she is telling the truth.

Fingers Crossed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rammyrammy, for replying my post,
I have applied i-824 to the TSC,
Shall i start preparing packet3 documents and send them to NVC as Montreal Consulate does not produce the case nos.

ofcourse along with the 824 receipt notice and all other original documents, which the montreal consulate returns them at the time of the interview

will NVC generate the Case No. depending on the above documents, or will they wait till 824 is approved

usnycus thanks for summarization of the complete process,

Guys,

Does anyone know to qualify for follow to join benefits should the wedding occur before the I-485 approval date or is it the date printed on GC card. Sometimes the date printed on GC card is pre-dated to before I-485 approval date. My wedding date was before the I-485 approval date however the date printed GC card is earlier to wedding date. Lawyer applied for I-824. I am a little worried that they ask questions to spouse at consulate during FTJ interview.

case numbers for such cases will be generated by consulates.
Send the packet 3 Along with the Cover letter and required documents,and I824 receipt. Different Consulates act differently if they say they have to wat for 824 approval, they would atleast create a case number.
Dont include any Original Documents with packet 3

Thanks Rammyrammy, for replying my post,
I have applied i-824 to the TSC,
Shall i start preparing packet3 documents and send them to NVC as Montreal Consulate does not produce the case nos.

ofcourse along with the 824 receipt notice and all other original documents, which the montreal consulate returns them at the time of the interview

will NVC generate the Case No. depending on the above documents, or will they wait till 824 is approved

usnycus thanks for summarization of the complete process,

if thats the case,I am afraid you will have issues. See posts from mega in this thread.
Your marriage date should be before your GC residence Since Date(and I am pretty sure that Residence since date will be same as your I485 Approval Date).

Guys,

Does anyone know to qualify for follow to join benefits should the wedding occur before the I-485 approval date or is it the date printed on GC card. Sometimes the date printed on GC card is pre-dated to before I-485 approval date. My wedding date was before the I-485 approval date however the date printed GC card is earlier to wedding date. Lawyer applied for I-824. I am a little worried that they ask questions to spouse at consulate during FTJ interview.

rammy,

my Residence Since date is different from my I-485 approval date. It is earlier to I-485 date approval date which is my concern. I was not aware that GC will be approved so soon after marriage and situation will be so close.

Get the spouse on H4. Ask her to wait after I-140 approval and when the spouse gets here then apply for 485 together. This will be quick and easy.

this is a friends case:

she has an H1B visa that will expire on 2009. she went to the US as SINGLE, then she wants to get married this coming December. she will apply for her GC next month(sept.). can she apply for H4 for her husband? or does she need to apply an i-824, simultaneous with her GC application?

thanks,

judex

From different people experiences the date on GC counts. So if the date is before your marriage date then you have to follow I-130 route ... Period.

Good Luck.

Guys,

Status
Not open for further replies.