• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Financial sponsor not needed for Diversity Visa lottery winners to adjust their status in USA

viharaf

Hello, I am DV lottery winner for 2023 who is residing in the US as a student under F1 visa. Currently I am filing my I-485 form to adjust my status here and after I read the instruction form of I-485, they have mentioned that for us Diversity visa applicant, WE DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE AN DETAILS OF FINANCIAL SPONSOR. So that means I do not have to provide any financial sponsor information when submitting my I-485 form. I want to know if this true or not? This could be found in page 41 of the instruction form of I-485. I have attached the I-485 instruction form pdf too below if anyone wants to read through it. Please be kind enough to clarify this issue that I have. Thank you.

1679361468049.png

Attachments

• i-485instr.pdf
    899 KB · Views: 3
DV doesn't need I-864. But you will be filling in your financial info in I-485 part 8 #62-65, like with other I-485 applicants.

While a DV applicant may not be required to submit evidence of financial support with their I-485, the applicant is expected to be able to demonstrate they will not become a public charge should the need to demonstrate that arise.

1. INA 212(a)(4) requires ALL DV based AOS applicants (regardless of if they are working full time or not due to circumstance beyond their control) to be able to demonstrate they are not likely to become a public charge in order for their application to be approved. The adjudicator is empowered to find an applicant inadmissible and, therefore, ineligible for a visa if in their opinion, at the time of adjudication, the applicant is likely at any time to become a public charge.
2. USCIS Policy Manual (Footnote 61) - the adjudicator manual which guides IOs says: "A winner of the Diversity Visa Program lottery has no petition or petitioner. Consequently, a Diversity Visa Program adjustment applicant does not need to file an Affidavit of Support. However, the applicant is still subject to the public charge ground of inadmissibility."
3. See link to a DV 2021 selectee post who received a RFE due to the IO having concerns about the possibility of their becoming a public charge

Also, take a look at the “Other Unique Cases” tab/section of the DV Tracker - Unique Situations spreadsheet (link in my signature) to read up on some other interview experience reports and I-134/financial document requests.