FBI name Check and Oath Delays

kuruvilla1000

Registered Users (C)
For those of us who are waiting for our oath ceremonies after clearing the interview, I am sure many have found out that the delay is because of a BCIS mandated Name-check. After a delay of more than 5 months past the interview date, I called the FBI Office in Washington. They actually have a Department for name check! You can know about the status of your file if you turn in your Alien # and that information can be used to query the local INS office. Unfortunately, the interview process starts when the Central Office sends your file to the local office; FBI once again sends your name check results to the Central Office (Nebraska, Vermont, Texas etc) and I am sure one has to wait again until the information dribbles down to your local office. I completed my interview on January 20th in denver- still waiting.......

Kuruvilla

Me, too...

Same for me...I've been waiting for >2 mos after interview. My wife and I passed our interview the same day by the same officer but she has become a citizen last mo while I am still waiting...don't know what to do...

I send a letter to my Senator's office but no response from him...guess he is too busy to care...what else can we do...? Please advise.

Davidgore,

That explains, I was watching a TV program on immigration over the past weekend. They mentioned that name checks are not done for women, and that could be the reason why your wife got it and you did not.

FYI from http://www.indiaimmigrationusa.com/page7.html

Background on security checks:
USCIS advises that, for most of the adjustment of status, there are three checks (other than IBIS) that must be completed: a fingerprint check with FBI (which looks for arrests and convictions), a name check with FBI (which looks for whether the person is or has been under investigation), and a name check with the CIA (which looks for "adverse information"). According to USCIS, all these three checks are usually completed within 48 hours.
The FBI name checks, however, can be a problem for all types of adjustment cases. In these checks, the USCIS sends a tape containing the names, dates of birth, and countries of birth of adjustment applicants. In December 2002, USCIS sent 3.2 million names to the FBI for clearance. Of those, about 60,000 are still pending. In addition, USCIS sends a tape to FBI once a week with new names. Of these, some 80% are usually cleared within 72 hours. The remaining 20% go into a triage process. If the information regarding name, DOB and/or COB is far a field of that information regarding the individual identified in the "hit", the clearance will usually be sent back to USCIS the next week. If these factors are closer to the "hit" information, the physical file will have to be retrieved from wherever it is (storage, FBI field office, etc.) and inspected. This is where the lengthy delays tend to occur. The CIA name checks also present a problem, mostly because the information received as a result of these checks tends to be less than definitive, and the impact on the immigration application therefore unclear. CIA generally responds to name check requests within 60 days, and has agreed to expedite up to 500 per week (but has been known to expedite more).

Originally posted by kuruvilla1000
FBI completed my name check on 9-14-03. Still waiting.

Kuruvilla

Kuru-

How did you find the status of your name check? Could you share the FBI phone numer for name check?

Thanks!

David

Kuruvilla1000

yeah.... can we have the number for FBI name check department...please...

Its been more then 3 months i am waiting for my oath everybody i know in person went for interview with me and after me are already citizens.. and me still waiting......

and about the name check for woman.... IF u are following this forum for a while u will see member name **Mariahoneyy** had to wait 5 months and some days ( almost 6 months ) for her oath,
and she also mentioned FBI name check delay in her posts.
so i am not too sure about male name checks only.

Thanx...

Guys- I cannot put the name and phone number of the FBI person directly here because it might flood this officer with too many calls and that will close the small window we have into the name-check scenario. Let us be careful in not annoying this person too much. However, here is how I went about it. I visited the FBI website at www.fbi.gov and called the 'contact us' number on there. The FBI officer receptionist heard my story about being a citizenship applicant and that my file was with the FBI - she connected me to a Department that responded with 'name Checks- may I help you?' When I described my problem to this officer, I was given a person's name and a telephone number which I called. Pretty neat arrangement, if you leave a message, the officer will call you back etc etc. But the problem is not here - the processed file is sent back not to the local office where we were interviewed but back to the place where we sent our application originally. I called up BCIS Nebraska following the FBI contact and filed a 'status inquiry' which starts all the way again from the LIN*receipt number which we received when the fees and application had been sent in. I have to wait 3 weeks now while Nebraska digs into their paperwork. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaagh - when will all this end? I am so very tired; 10 years of struggle from one visa to another and still no end in sight. Maybe we should kneel down and pray for deliverance.

Kuruvilla

interesting K, thanks for sharing ur experience.. how long
did u say it takes 48 hrs ? I highly doubt it.. There are so many
applicants waiting for their oath ceremoney pending FBI check.. Would be great if really true

Rahul - FBI will let you know over the phone if they are done with your case or not - right away. The situation is reminding me of applying for a passport in India. I know of many who bribe their way through the Regional Passport Offices but even a bribe does not get anywhere if the Indian CID Name check is not complete. Remember the pot bellied officer who comes to your home, drinks coffee or tea eats lunch and finally forwards your 'OK' to the Passport office? In the US, there are no such people(hopefully) but the FBI name check list is now highly populated and INS is helpless.

Kuruvilla

Rahul - FBI will let you know over the phone if they are done with your case or not - right away.
Kuruvilla

I concur with Kuruvilla1000. I called to verify my name and FP check during my 485 processing, and they are very prompt and courteous. I left a message, and received a call back from an agent within 24 hours.

kuruvilla

I called FBI and asked for name check dept, one lady picked up and i explained my situation, she told me to fax name check status inquiry and gave me fax number , and told me to wait for 7 to 10 buisness days for reply, and that was on last monday, i called today , monday the 8th december, and told my situation and asked if there is answer for me, and that person told me that nothing was recieved, and what am i talking about.?

well thats my experiance.... i dont think i will bother again trying to find out whats going on with my case....

i have made 3 inquiries one by phone and 2 in person and no answer, that was 3 months ago.

went to my senators office, Sen. Shumer, gave them my case details and i was told NOT to call back unless 11 weeks have past, 11 weeks.....

i guess my luck aint working on this .......
waiting for oath letter more then 5 months.

i give up.

Shaky

Stop knocking the FBI doors- if there was a problem with your name check, those guys would be at your door by now. The delay is a volume thing and an INS officer said that the FBI has only now started to get a hang of it. Kuru

hello guys''

First time on this forum i am going to share + progress ..

i sent Fbi my name check inquiry form on dec 3 2003 and i just got reply as follows....

This is refrence to fax recieved on Dec 3 2003. Your clearance was completed and sent to USCIS on Dec 8 2003.

OK now question....

my interview was in July 2003 almost 6 months ago and according to this e mail looks like USCIS never fwd my fbi name check request???? because it just got done on 8th dec 2003. and i sent them on 3 dec 2003 so only 5 days it was cleared.

what u guys think of this situation plz let me know. should i take this as positive responce and be happy that my case is moving finally.?????

plz share...

shaky...

Shaky
I would take it as good news. Hopefully you should hear from the INS soon.

I am still waiting for my oath since June. I have made several visits to the INS office and called the 800 number but to no avail.

Can you please share with us how and who you contacted at the FBI for the name check. I called one number (posted elsewhere on this newsgroup) but no one has answered to the message I left on the voice mail. Is there a fax number I could fax my name check request??

Many thanks

T

You can fax on the following number to find the status of NAME CHECK:

(202) 324-3367 --> Fax

Attn: Ms. Hall

Please provide the following info:

LAST NAME:
FIRST NAME:
A#:
DATE OF BIRTH:
EMAIL ADDRESS:

FBI completed my name check on 9-14-03. Still waiting.

Kuruvilla

Kuruvilla,

I had interview in August 2003 at Boston. I was told everything was all set except my FBI Name Check.

I got great hints from your case. I called FBI yesterday and I did get feedback. The FBI Agent told me that they already sent my FBI Name check result to Vermont on October 20, 2003.

I knew you had same situation before. My question is: how can I expediate the Vermont Center to transfer my FBI Name check result to local Boston BCIS?

I do appreciate your help!

I completed my interview on July30th, still waiting for oath due to FBI name check pending?

Did several Fax enquiries ...replies FBI name chk pending....

Its been a year now....:mad:

Angrywait

You cannot expedite it. There is way too much red tape around the stuff. If you try to push it through congressmen, your file will be taken out of the queue. I spoke with some guys at the oath ceremony- the wait is 11 months

Re: Angrywait

Did you ever try to go to your local BCIS office and tell them your FBI Name check actually be finished but just be sent to the Central BCIS Center? Did you ever require your local BCIS office to contact with Central BCIS Center to get your FBI Name check result?

Is it possible that you require FBI to re-send your FBI Name Check result to your local BCIS?

Thanks