Family based I-130/I-485

ncgirl said:
NBC_June04,from your personal timeline,seems the entire EAD processing from NBC takes 90 days from receipt to actual card in hand...am i right?is there any other person who can share their timeline on EAD from NBC so we can be sure thanks...
From the RD (14 July) to the actual card in hand (25 Oct) =104 days
From RD to approval date (first e-mail on 19 OCT )-= 98 days

Following the count down I was supposed to receive the Approval on 11 Oct.
I received the second e-mail on 22 Oct (that they mailed it)

The card is valid 10/19/04 - 10/18/2005
If you want timelines, you can find 3/4 in this thread
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=144507
In genearl what i"ve read from other guys in the forum it takes +/- 1-2 weeks around the 90 days. Now with the upcoming holidays ... Who knows. There's always an inetrim EAD though.
Good luck girl

I came on an F1 visa -> got H1 status -> married to USC
I had applied for Form I-130/ I485 together at the Detroit District office and then applied for I765/I-131 later on at the Detroit District Office. Its moved to MSC now.
My dates:

RD: I130/485 - 08/25/04
ND: I130/I485 - 08/30/04
RD//ND: I765 - 09/21/04 // 09/27/04
RD//ND: I131 - 09/22/04 // 09/28/04
FP and Biometrics for I485 and I765 - 10/14/04 -- Online Approved (case resumed) 10/21/04 (havent gotten any approval in mail regarding the FP and Biometrics.. not sure if you do or not!)
....urgently waiting for EAD and AP!! :(

I just wanted to know if there is anyone here from New York. I want to compare with other family based cases how long it took to get an EAD. I will post my timeline below. Good luck to all!
I-485, I-130, I-765 application sent to NY local office. All receipts from NBC.
RD: 09/23/2004
ND: 10/04/2004
FP: 11/02/2004
Received a week after FP an appointment letter for interview at Federal Plaza on 1/11/2005.

ugeek05,
waoooo man....it seems u may even get a green card before the EAD...the way things are going!that was pretty fast to get an interview date....basically I think all marriage based cases can be compared since only NBC processes them...

I just got my EAD approved. Below is my timeline:

I485/I130/I765/I131 concurrently filed in Houston forwarded to NBC.

RD = 9/7/2004
ND = 9/13/2004
Biometrics = 9/18/2004 (for I765)
FP = 10/02/2004 (for I485)
EAD approved = 11/23/2004
AP - still waiting
Temporary AP = 11/22/2004 (from Houston local office)

In addition to the above, I applied for and received a temporary AP from the Houston local office (since I plan to travel outside the US within the next 2 weeks). The appointment was for 11/22/2004. It was a pretty painless process. I went at the appointed time with a new I131 form and all documents needed for it. The officer checked all the documents (Passport, H1b approval, etc). She then told me that she will issue a temporary AP and asked for 2 passport photos which I handed over gladly. She did not ask for any documents relating to an emergency (death in family, etc.) nor did she ask for the fees. I received the AP in another 15 minutes. Overall, it took me about an hour. I think it was so easy since the TSC is currently processing AP applications dated 10/6/2004 or before. Nonetheless, I am greatly relieved now that I can still visit my family.

Tinkerman

approved.

All forms were filled in NJ forwarded to NBC.
Filling date 08/21/04
FP 09/25/04
EAD approved 10/14/04.
Interview Letter Received 11/01/04.
Interivew Date : 12/20/04
Approved : 12/20/04

It was a strange set of affairs at Newark office to say the least. Files for lot of applicants were not received due to delay by UPS so their interviews were rescheduled. It seems gc20040 got stuck in that unfortunately...

Our case was at 1:30 pm. They kept us waiting till 4:!5 pm. We were the only people left by that time. Then the officer called us to the window. Asked for the medical, mother's passport and my Driving License. Came back 5 min later with her passport stamped. He kept the I-94.

No interview . Didnt ask for the EAD, advance parole, Birth certificate affidavits or anything else which was mentioned in the Interview letter.

Since he approved the case, I didnt volunteer to give him the paper work and came back home gladly...

I 130 help

Hello there,

I'm a US citizen father. I just received my citizenship thru Greencard. I filed for my son in Aug,2001
unmarried and received a notice (Dec 27, 2004)yesterday (i-797, notice of action) saying that the patition has been approved. NOw..
1) what should be my next action? :confused:
2) Should I file I-824 now to let the CIS know about my citizenship?
or do i need to file I 485?
I heard that my citizenship can help my son to get to US faster. Do I need to do anything to change his file status so the CIS knows that when my i filed for my son i was a permanent resident and Now i have become a US citizen.
any help will be appreciated. should i be taking any lawyer's help? :confused:

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys I might sound stupid but just joined the forum and have no clue what all the abbreviations mean :confused:
When all of you have written your timelines what do all abbrev. stand for like EAD etc.
I am still awaiting my spouse's oath and will hopefully be soon applying for I-130 so have started research.
Kindly help.

Interview Experience

Good day everyone. I just had my AOS interview this morning Jan. 11, 2005. My wife and I came in around 9:30 AM at 26 Federal Plaza. We went to the 8th floor where they were doing the interviews. We submitted our appointment letter to a lady working one of those INS windows and then waited for our lawyer. We got called around 11:00 AM but we told the person reviewing our case that we were still waiting for the lawyer. :( Our lawyer arrived around 11:15 and he checked in with the officer handling our case.
We got called at about 12:00 PM. The officer led us to her office and we then took the oath. The officer addressed all the personal questions to my wife. She then asked me questions that were asked on the I-485 application form. She asked for the originals of several of the documents and examined it.
She took one picture from us and then looked into her computer. She then asked me if I had my picture digitally taken during the time of my fingerprinting. I answered yes and she told me that she has approved my case and that I would be receiving the new green card in 4 weeks through mail. :) My lawyer then came in and asked the officer if she could stamp my passport. The officer told us that since this was a pilot program, she will only stamp my passport in case of an emergency. My lawyer politely inquired further if she (the officer) could give us some proof that I am officially a permanent resident. The officer told us that she can't do anything but tell us that the green card will be in the mail in 4 weeks since it was a pilot program. :confused: My lawyer and I came out of her office scratching our heads. My lawyer then told me that should I not receive my green card in 4 weeks, I give him a call. I guess that's it. Here is my timeline:
IEAD: 11/27/2004
Interviewed and I guess approved?: 1/11/2005

still waiting

I file I-130 on 2/jan 2004 VSC get Approval 15/sep 04 I file I-485/I-765/I-131 on 14/oct 04 get receipt and FP letter on 18/nov 04 recieved interview letter 2/dec 04 for march 05. waiting for approval for EAD/AP/485.

My updates

All done at Detroit local office and then sent to MSC

RD: I130/485 - 08/25/04
ND: I130/I485 - 08/30/04
RD//ND: I765 - 09/21/04 // 09/27/04
RD//ND: I131 - 09/22/04 // 09/28/04
FP and Biometrics for I485 and I765 - 10/14/04 -- Online Approved (case resumed) 10/21/04 (havent gotten any approval in mail regarding the FP and Biometrics.. not sure if you do or not!)

AP approved - 12/03/04
EAD approved - 12/21/04
waiting for the appointment letter now...

update

Weird thing happened to me. I just got a code 2 letter from Federal Plaza stating that I need to have my biometrics taken again last Jan 12. Has anyone been thru this kind of processing? My I130 was approved on the same day as well according to the USCIS website. :confused:

chicogo lock box to NBC

sent the package (130,131,765,864,485)to chicago lock box looks like they forwarded it to NBC,
RD:01/06/05
ND:01/10/05

haven't secudule for biometric & finger printing yet, planning to do next week

485 receipt says my 485 will be processed in 120 - 180 days , not sure how accurate that information, can anyone confirm pls :confused: ??

it also says i should my EAD in 30-90 days & AP in 30-60 days, can anyone confirm pls :confused:

All,
I have recieved my interview date. Below is my timeline.

I485/I130/I765/I131 concurrently filed in Houston forwarded to NBC.

RD = 9/7/2004
ND = 9/13/2004
Biometrics = 9/18/2004 (for I765)
FP = 10/02/2004 (for I485)
EAD approved = 11/23/2004
Temporary AP = 11/22/2004 (from Houston local office)
Full AP = 11/25/2004
Interview = 03/18/2005

Does anyone know of a good certified translator for my Gujarati birth certificate. I have a document in English from the Indian Embassy stating my birth date, place, parent's name, etc. that is based on my passport. Can I use this as my birth certificate instead of having to do a translation of my original birth certificate.

Thanks,
Tinkerman

Greencard ordered!

Hello to everyone. Just to give an update. I have just received an e-mail stating that INS has ordered the card for me. I think that INS uses the picture that was taken by INS ASC last Jan. 18 for the greencard. Well, at least that was what my lawyer told me. INS has moved forward on the right direction. Now, does anyone know how long does it usually take them to mail the card after it has been ordered? Any information will surely be appreciated. I am really excited to see my greencard. :D

IEAD: 11/27/2004
Interview date: 1/11/2005
Biometrics: 1/18/2005
Card ordered: 1/20/2005

Thanks for the quick response. I will update my case once I receive the physical card. I wish everyone a great weekend. Its a big snowday tomorrow here in NYC! :)

Need Help for I-130 F2B

Hi All
My mom is petitioner for me and my younger brother as F2b. My mom is Green card holder and she still need to wait 2 years for her Citizenship. She has submited I-130 petition At California Service Center on April 22nd 2002. I checked my case status on USCIS Web site who had shown 815 day to 830 days before one year back,. Then they had increased my proceesing time to 990 days to 990 days. Now it had to complete by January 7th 2005, but it is still as unchanged. Nither they have updated my case nor they have changed website status. Could Anyone tell me what's going on. My big brother has visited to INS office and after waiting for more than 3 hours they only told we don't know any things. Kindly pls. anyone tell me if anyone had F2B Experince , How long We have to wait. ? And what happend next after approving of our cases..Pls. Help us to find out what's going on ? :confused:

Just Starting...

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences...I know each case is different but knowing what will happen next eases the apprehension and tension...

I'm Brazilian and just started my AOS process due to marriage to a US Citizen (USC) last november; we filled the I-130 (Alien Relative), I-485 (Adjustment of Status AOS) and I-765 (Employment Authorization Document EAD) concurrently on 01/15/2005 with Chicago. We received the Notice of Action (NOA/I-797C) for all 3 applications (1 per application) on 1/25/2005. The Received Date (RD) and the Notice Date (ND) were 1/17/2005 and 1/20/2005 respectively.
The Receipt Numbers started with MSC, so I'm assuming I'm under the National Benefits Center... Anyway, the I-765 Receipt instructed me to schedule an appointment for Biometrics while the I-475 Receipt wanted both Biometrics and Fingerprints (FP).

I called the 800 number (on 1/26/2005) and after being told by the first lady to hang up and try again because she was rebooting her computer, a gentleman answered. I told him that I had received the NOAs and wanted to schedule appointments for them. He asked for my Alien Number (which was on my I-485 NOA), my Name and Zip Code and telephone number. Then he asked for the ASC Code on the receipts.

The I-765 had code 2 and the I-485 was code 3 (I'm assuming that Code 2 means Biometrics only and Code 3 means Biometrics and Fingerprints).
He told me that they didn't have anything for code 3 but I could go for the code 2 on 1/27/2005, so I took it. He also told me that I would have to wait until I was done with the code 2 in order to schedule the code 3 (contrary to what my lawyer had told me) and also that the best time to call for code 3 is 8AM...Being that my appointment for code 2 was at 9, I decided to call the 800 number again in the day of the appointment...After repeating my telephone number about 5 times to a lady (she kept mixing numbers) I was able to schedule my code 3 (FP) appointment to 3/10/2005. I wasn't happy about the date, but at least I had an appointment...

I got to the Application Support Center (ASC) at 8:30A and got in the first line, there I spoke to a security guard who checked my NOA and ID to see if I had an appointment. Once she verified that I was "on the list" she told me to stand in a second line. (Some people had to fill up a form and then stand in line 2...I didn't need a form...so I figured the form is only for people taking FP). After a little bit I spoke to a gentleman who again checked my ID and NOA, gave me a number with EAD on it and told me to sit and wait to be called. I kept observing the people that called the numbers, and they all seemed nice and courteous except for one young man who seemed a little upset, luckily I was called by an older Cuban gentleman who was very nice.

Until that time I had never mentioned the fact that I had another appointment on 3/10/2005 but I was carrying all the NOAs in my hand, so when he asked what were the other ones. I said that the fingerprinting was going to be done in March because they didn't have an appointment available.
He called his supervisor and talk to her about what they had told me over the phone, and they both seemed disappointed with the service being performed by the 800 number. She told that they were going to take care of everything and brought me the form to fill out, he collected my data, fingerprints, picture and made me sign on the computer...She then stamped my NOAs and signed them.

So now we are waiting for the next steps...this is our current timeline:

1/15/2005 - Mailed I-130, I-485 and I-765 to Chicago
1/17/2005 - Received Date (RD)
1/20/2005 - Notice Date (ND)
1/25/2005 - Received the NOAs in the mail
1/26/2005 - Called 800 number to schedule appointments
1/27/2005 - Biometrics and FP app. FP originally schedule for 3/10/2005

P.S.: Like some, I was initially confused with all the acronyms so I tried my best to explain some of them…I apologize if I made any mistake.

Citizenship

"My mom is 70 years old and she can file for the US citizenship next year. My mom can't read or write English and is at the age where learning a new language is not easy. There is a requirement in the citizenship process that the applicant must be able to read and write English and know basic US history. I know there are exceptions to this rule but my mom does not qualify for any of them, for example, she has been living in the US for only for 4 years. Does anyone know of any other exceptions that she could use to get an exception to this requirement? Any help is appreciated"