F1 student, husband lied about sponsoring me and now jeopardized my status

Not to get the original posters hopes up, but there are certain situations in which a spouse of a GC or an USC can petition themselves. If you do qualify then you would use form I-360. Information about situations that do qualify are included in the instructions of the form.

The OP seems to be married to someone who is lazy and careless. No mention of battering or abuse has surfaced so far. So I doubt an I-360 will help the OP out.

Not to get the original posters hopes up, but there are certain situations in which a spouse of a GC or an USC can petition themselves. If you do qualify then you would use form I-360. Information about situations that do qualify are included in the instructions of the form.

TripleCitizen, the thing is I don't know what to do at this point, reason why Im seeking help :(

DHLunar, I don't qualify under those situations on the I-360 form

Well you have shot down all options given by others so far. Forum members cannot create more for you since they are limited as far as your case goes. Either reconcile with him, leave the US or live in the shadows as an illegal alien. Sorry to sound curt but this is reality I am afraid.

TripleCitizen, the thing is I don't know what to do at this point, reason why Im seeking help :(

1-I want a divorce coz I've lost all respect and trust for this man
You can't hold on to at least June? If you interview for the GC in June or later, you'll get your 10-year GC free and clear of his clutches. Then you can decide whether to stay in the marriage or get divorced without worrying about your green card. However, to get to that stage you'll probably have to handle nearly all the GC paperwork yourself, filling it out every form yourself then asking for his signature where it's required. Because he's apparently too careless to do it himself.

2- If I leave the US, I will be banned for reentry for 10 years and also there will be a custody case involving my daughter
It's been less than a year since you lost your status. So your ban would be 3 years*, not 10 years.

However, it is practically guaranteed that the US government will not let you take the child outside the US against the father's wishes, unless the father dies or is permanently incarcerated.

On the other hand, maybe he would actually be OK with the child being taken out of the US, given the type of person he apparently is (based on your description) and the alternative of raising the child by himself. So that's another option you could pursue ... divorce him and see if he'll agree to release the child to live with you abroad.

*there is a technicality based on the "D/S" of I-94 whereby it is possible you're not banned at all. But you can't count on that and I don't want to dive into those details at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't hold on to at least June? If you interview for the GC in June or later, you'll get your 10-year GC free and clear of his clutches. Then you can decide whether to stay in the marriage or get divorced without worrying about your green card. However, to get to that stage you'll probably have to handle nearly all the GC paperwork yourself, filling it out every form yourself then asking for his signature where it's required. Because he's apparently too careless to do it himself.

If I hold on till June, I would be solely doing it for my legal status which is kinda unethical, isn't it? Also, I know I would be unhappy as I am unhappy now and I will be faking everything and living an emotional nightmare knowing that I wanna be out of the marriage.

It's been less than a year since you lost your status. So your ban would be 3 years*, not 10 years.
Well, that's good to know, which means I'd have to leave before June 2010.

However, it is practically guaranteed that the US government will not let you take the child outside the US against the father's wishes, unless the father dies or is permanently incarcerated.

On the other hand, maybe he would actually be OK with the child being taken out of the US, given the type of person he apparently is (based on your description) and the alternative of raising the child by himself. So that's another option you could pursue ... divorce him and see if he'll agree to release the child to live with you abroad.
But if Im not allowed to live here legally, they expect me to just leave my child behind? That is so not fair. The father wouldn't allow me to take the child abroad because of this controlling issues, he'd rather have the child with him so he can control everything even if that wouldn't be in the best interests of the child

*there is a technicality based on the "D/S" of I-94 whereby it is possible you're not banned at all. But you can't count on that and I don't want to dive into those details at this time.
Well I was reading a lawyer's blog about that and he mentionned that :
Being out of status does not necessarily mean that one is accruing unlawful presence. The F-1 student who is not in F-1 status anymore is out of status; but unless immigration finds out and makes a determination that s/he is out of status, s/he is not accruing unlawful presence
I've never heard of that before, so I don't know but the whole article can be found here : sarmientoimmigration.typepad.com/blog/unlawful-presence/ ( add http in front of the address, im not allowed to post links since i have less than 15 posts, weird?)

That depends. If the father is not capable of taking care of the child, I don't see why not.

That is worth investigating. It won't help resolve her current situation, but may clarify the consequences of leaving the US.

That depends. If the father is not capable of taking care of the child, I don't see why not.
That would be hard to proove. He has a child from a previous relationship and is sharing custody with his former partner, so there is no reason for them to beleive that he can't take care of my daughter

In that case, they would seek to place the child with another family member, and let the father visit (possibly supervised visits, depending on why custody was taken away). So the child would still remain in the US if there is another family member willing and able to raise the child.

In that case, they would seek to place the child with another family member, and let the father visit (possibly supervised visits, depending on why custody was taken away). So the child would still remain in the US if there is another family member willing and able to raise the child.

Where do you get this information from? It's almost impossible to separate a child from a birth parent capable of raising the child, especially a mother.

But if Im not allowed to live here legally, they expect me to just leave my child behind? That is so not fair.
Immigration law is a mountain of unfairness.

I've never heard of that before, so I don't know but the whole article can be found here : http://sarmientoimmigration.typepad.com/blog/unlawful-presence/
In practice, even though the D/S of your I-94 may avoid the statutory 3-year/10 year bar for "unlawful presence", your significant overstay will make it very difficult to obtain another nonimmigrant visa for several years. People get visa applications rejected because they overstayed their last visa by a couple weeks. So you'll effectively have a multi-year ban anyway, unless you're applying for a green card (immigrant visa) through the consulate.

Where do you get this information from? It's almost impossible to separate a child from a birth parent capable of raising the child, especially a mother.
It's closer to impossible to (legally) take a child outside the country of the child's citizenship against one parent's wishes if there is a family member in the same country who is willing and able to raise the child. Look how hard it was for that American father to get his boy out of Brazil, and that's even after the mother took him out of the US illegally and then died. If the father didn't have a truckload of money and time to spend in the court battles, the boy would spend the rest of his childhood in Brazil.

So basically I should be prepared to be separated from my daughter for life if i decide to leave now :eek:

So basically I should be prepared to be separated from my daughter for life if i decide to leave now :eek:
Yes. No US court is going to release a US citizen child overseas to a noncitizen parent, if the citizen parent is free and alive to fight against it. Except maybe if the citizen's parental rights were permanently terminated by a court due to abuse. Or neither the citizen parent nor other US-based relatives are capable and available to take care of the child in the US.

That's really messed up then that the law is in such a way that a child who is 3 months old, breastfed by her mother, refuses the bottle and doesnt take forumula, will be forced to separate from her mother just because she is not a citizen of that country. Isn't the best interest of the child considered? This will result in intense hardship on my daughter if it were to happen as I take care of her 24/7 and she is 100% breastfed

Yes. No US court is going to release a US citizen child overseas to a noncitizen parent, if the citizen parent is free and alive to fight against it.

Before you frighten this poor woman any more, please quote a single precedent where a US court gave custody of a child to a non-parent just to keep the child in the US.

If the father has lied to the mother and is generally lazy and disorganized, then I doubt the child would be given away just to keep it here. Kaylee, what is your home country?

That's really messed up then that the law is in such a way that a child whose 3 months old, breastfed by her mother, refuses the bottle and doesnt take forumula, will be force to separate from her mother just because she is not a citizen of that country.

The law is not written this way. It is explicitly written to consider the best interests of child. I cannot see any justification for taking her away from you.

Before you frighten this poor woman any more, please quote a single precedent where a US court gave custody of a child to a non-parent just to keep the child in the US.
They don't give custody to "just to keep the child in the US", they give it to preserve the visitation rights (including future visitation rights, if the rights are currently suspended due to probation, incarceration, etc.) of the non-custodial parent. It's hard enough just to (legally) take the child to another state.

I challenge you to give a single case where a US court gave custody of a US citizen child to a noncitizen parent overseas even though the US-based American parent was alive and not in prison and fighting against it and had not had his/her parental rights permanently terminated. I'll save you some trouble ... you can't.

You're talking about preserving visitation rights, how about preserving visitation rights of the mother? If the mother can't enter in the US, how is that gonna go?