F1 student, husband lied about sponsoring me and now jeopardized my status

I think your interpretation is incorrect. After F-1 expires, one will be out of status, but won't accumulate unlawful presence until a judge / USCIS determines that the non-immigrant has been unlawfully present. No?

Even if the F-1 Expires what counts is the I-20, until the I-20 is kept alive then your status will be legal

I don't wanna go through this anymore. My husband slapped me n chocked me today. I called the cops and they said they can't arrest him or ask him to leave because he told them I hit him first which is a lie and I don't have any bruises so they cant arrest him. My FP appointment is on Friday and I don't know if I wanna go through this anymore, Im so tired of this situation I don't wanna stay in an abusive relationship just for papers. He knows I cant go anywhere coz I dont have my papers, a job or family around.

So I just spoke to the police and they told me to file a protection order against my husband to have him removed from the home and I will do it tomorrow morning.

If you divorce him before getting the green card, you can still get a green card through VAWA (Violence Against Women Act). But it's complicated and you'll need time and effort and perhaps legal assistance to prepare a VAWA case. So don't kill this GC process yet. If you miss the FP appointment and they deny your I-485 because of that, deportation could soon follow. So make sure to go the FP appointment to keep the GC process alive for a while, even if you ultimately don't go through with the interview.

Remember, it's not just about "papers"; it's also about your ability to see your child. If you are deported, you may never see your child again. You almost surely won't be able to remove the US citizen child from the US with a US citizen father contesting custody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have time and effort anymore since I have been waiting for so long. My only issue is with my daughter, I don't wanna lose her due to deportation or something else. How will the protection order affect my case?

I don't often see a thread about one case that lasts this long. I don't have patience to read about the situation, but I guess this is one of those complicated cases that need lawyer. If you try to get by without lawyers, mmm well, keep posting, it only seems to get more complicated.

I don't have time and effort anymore since I have been waiting for so long. My only issue is with my daughter, I don't wanna lose her due to deportation or something else. How will the protection order affect my case?

K,

I am sorry to read about this male-man who happen to have ballz. Unfortunately, real men don't slap their women, but provide, protect and please their wives. Are you in MD? If I am not mistaken, you will have to your FP in glenmont, correct? I would strongly encourage you to go to the FP process, HE IS NOT REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE FP process with you. This step requires only you. Since you have no criminal history or any issues as far as I know, your FP will be cleared almost the same day and send back to USCIS. The case will be transferred to the local DO, await scheduling for interview.

The interview will certainly require his flesh. This will happen in roughly 30-60 after the FP process, depending on the DO workload. In the interview, collect all necessary documentation and hope that Walmart sells new heads, you might have to buy him a new head to use for progressive things in life, as opposed to the Taliban type tactics of beating women. If you kill this immigration process, hardship is going to follow you. Since your child is a minor, 95% chances that the court will award parental responsibility to your husband, while USCIS deports you for being in the country without legal documentation. You want to avoid this step as much as possible. You have been married to his for a while is that correct? If it is above 2 years, should you stick with the process, you will get your 10 years green card and have a fighting chance to raise your daughter. Unfortunately, if he is beating you, what kind of example is he setting for his daughter?

K,

I am sorry to read about this male-man who happen to have ballz. Unfortunately, real men don't slap their women, but provide, protect and please their wives. Are you in MD? If I am not mistaken, you will have to your FP in glenmont, correct? I would strongly encourage you to go to the FP process, HE IS NOT REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE FP process with you. This step requires only you. Since you have no criminal history or any issues as far as I know, your FP will be cleared almost the same day and send back to USCIS. The case will be transferred to the local DO, await scheduling for interview.

The interview will certainly require his flesh. This will happen in roughly 30-60 after the FP process, depending on the DO workload. In the interview, collect all necessary documentation and hope that Walmart sells new heads, you might have to buy him a new head to use for progressive things in life, as opposed to the Taliban type tactics of beating women. If you kill this immigration process, hardship is going to follow you. Since your child is a minor, 95% chances that the court will award parental responsibility to your husband, while USCIS deports you for being in the country without legal documentation. You want to avoid this step as much as possible. You have been married to his for a while is that correct? If it is above 2 years, should you stick with the process, you will get your 10 years green card and have a fighting chance to raise your daughter. Unfortunately, if he is beating you, what kind of example is he setting for his daughter?

Thank you for your comment. I will go to the FP appointment, I just don't know how the interview is gonna go if I file a protective order against him. He said he was going to file one against me if I file one. Knowing him,He could even try to beat me to it. I called a hotline and they told me that if he files one before me, I could be asked to leave the house even thought its only under my name. So, i will have to go to the courthouse in the morning to file the order against him. Yes we've been married for more than 2 years and I live in MD

In any case, like you said the custody of my daughter is at stake but I don't have the choice at this point. There is a high possibility that he will refuse to attend the interview. I have even read about child kidnapping because I don't wanna leave my daughter behind, especially to someone who never took care of her, even if its my last resort, if i don't have the choice i will take my daughter and leave to another country, even if we have to live hidden for the rest of our lives :(

Kaylee sorry to hear about your situation,

I have one of my best friend who married American girl. After 2 years they had one child. He got his working permit, and then suddenly things started to change. His wife started drama on him, fighting, call the cops on him. After while he got letter for GC interview, and his wife refused to go with him at the interview. So, I told him to go by himself. The Consular told him "He will approved his GC because he has the child with her" So I see similar situation to you. Good luck, make sure you go to FP.

Kaylee sorry to hear about your situation,

I have one of my best friend who married American girl. After 2 years they had one child. He got his working permit, and then suddenly things started to change. His wife started drama on him, fighting, call the cops on him. After while he got letter for GC interview, and his wife refused to go with him at the interview. So, I told him to go by himself. The Consular told him "He will approved his GC because he has the child with her" So I see similar situation to you. Good luck, make sure you go to FP.

Wow, your friend is very lucky, I don't know if I will be that lucky. Thanks for sharing

makrida, thank you

Kaylee,

Sounds as if your husband just recently start getting physical with you, because in recent posts he was not physically abusive.
My advice would be, if u can try to play on his good side for now that would work in your favor (at least for another couple months till after the interview) If hes being abusive where u have to get away from him then by all means seek the order of protection. But again my first order would be to be on his good side as much as I can. (pretend as much as u can, a woman knows how to do that) just keep your daughter in mind each time.
Good luck

LadyM,
Thank you for the advice. It's just that he does whatever he wants because he thinks there are no repercussions. I just dont think its a healthy situation for me to be in for the next 2 or however months I will have to wait for.

I went to my FP appointment this morning. It was quick, but Lord do those people need customer service skills? The officer who greeted me at the entrance was nice and courteous but the lady who did my FP had a mean mug. She did not say hello or smile and acted like she was really mad to be there. It was unpleasant. To the least, they should have basic customer service skills since USCIS charges high fees that are paying for their salaries. :mad:

I went to my FP appointment this morning. It was quick, but Lord do those people need customer service skills? The officer who greeted me at the entrance was nice and courteous but the lady who did my FP had a mean mug. She did not say hello or smile and acted like she was really mad to be there. It was unpleasant. To the least, they should have basic customer service skills since USCIS charges high fees that are paying for their salaries. :mad:

Where did you do your FP? Glenment people seem to be nice, except for the security guard...lol!!!

Jackolantern, they are humans, aren't they? lol

Al Southner, loll. I got the opposite experience. The security guard was the only person who was nice to me. Everybody else was mean mugging and yes it was at Glenmont.

Oh, there are 2 security guys: black and white. The white one was nice in helping out today. the black one was the one who told me a big fat no with a mean face when i tried to walk in few weeks ago.