• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

EUROPEAN SELECTEES! Meet here!!

Around 60-70k dollars for 4 people would be enough I say.

Lazder,

I really don't think the embassies would ask people to show proof of 60-70k. There are lots of Americans that don't even make that kind of money in a year, not to mention that half of the country does not have that kind of money in their own savings.

Hi Hzss12 and Juicee,

I`m originally from Pakozd (Szekesfehervar), but live in England with my husband. We both are waiting for the miracle, ha-ha.
Actually I can`t really tell anything about the cut-off numbers, only found out yesterday what that is about:) I have a bit of concern about my number which is above 19k. I really hope we gonna fit in the limit!
I`m very glad for finding this forum and more info. I had high expectations, but had to realize it is a slow process and takes ages.
I would read more success-stories from people who has already been through everything how the process goes. I mean from the beginning to getting their GC: sending their forms to KCC and then got confirmed, and how was the medication examination - what happened, how long the interview takes for and what they were asked about, etc. So if you know, or anybody else in this forum knows others, who has already received their GC, please persuade them to write down every little detail.
Thanks

with EU case number below 25k you are nearly guranteed to be processed before September

Lazder,

I really don't think the embassies would ask people to show proof of 60-70k. There are lots of Americans that don't even make that kind of money in a year, not to mention that half of the country does not have that kind of money in their own savings.

Well if you are going in alone with no connections, I heard something in a region of 15k pp dollars a year is seen as a decent sum to have, to at least sustain life for 1 year, because finding job is not easy.

Well they got to make sure you are not going to sit on benefits in USA... So its either very good friend connections or a very large wallet...

Last edited by a moderator:
It does happen, because one of requirements is to show Interviewer than you can sustain life in USA while you are looking for a job, it got strict in recent years because of crysis and they simply cant afford any more people coming in and sitting on benefits. You either show that you got a friend with whom you can live and who can support you or you going to have to show very large sum of money...

Think about it, how much money would you need to survive lets say in New York??? Pay for rent, food, transport maybe a car...

that's true. and if you read my earlier posts you would see i wrote exactly the same thing. what i was trying to say now though, is the following - there is no perfect amount of money you should have on your account. the consular officer looks at the general picture (as somebody wrote above) what means everything depends on your particular situation.

I agree!!! That`s far too much. I can`t imagine anybody from my country could save that lot of money. Actually I was wondering what could I do if I`ve stayed in my country. I suppose I had nothing. It`s a shame. But I moved, and I`m still happy if I can save about $10000 till my interview for two of us.

I agree!!! That`s far too much. I can`t imagine anybody from my country could save that lot of money. Actually I was wondering what could I do if I`ve stayed in my country. I suppose I had nothing. It`s a shame. But I moved, and I`m still happy if I can save about $10000 till my interview for two of us.

You would be surprised how much money can people from "poor" countries collect, mexicans manage to get 10k dollars each to pay coyote to take them into USA illegaly, and those people are considered to be very poor....

Thing is, how far will 10k dollars go for 2 people in USA though... Considering that health insuarance without job would be eating away around 200 a month with a pretty big excess so god forbid you got ill...

Us europeans tend to forget that there is no such thing as free healthcare in USA and insuarance policies prices are mind boggling.

and if you dont pay insuarance and got seriously ill and your bill goes into hundred-thousands you going to have to declare banrkupcy, US government doesnt want people like that.

Not trying to scare anyone, but guys be realistic USA isnt cheap... tickets from UK cost around 500 pounds per person... from eastern europe we could be talking close excess of 1000 dollars each... Living in one of most expensive regions of UK I didnt find much stuff cheaper in USA while I was there... So be realistic do some reading especially if you never visited US... You dont want to loose your life savings and come back home battered... American dream is appealing, but so many people fail to get it..... Hopefully we wont be one of them.

Especially people with no experience of immigration and coming from eastern europe... America is a tough country and you can fall very far if things go wrong, very far...

You would be surprised how much money can people from "poor" countries collect, mexicans manage to get 10k dollars each to pay coyote to take them into USA illegaly, and those people are considered to be very poor....

Thing is, how far will 10k dollars go for 2 people in USA though... Considering that health insuarance without job would be eating away around 200 a month with a pretty big excess so god forbid you got ill...

Us europeans tend to forget that there is no such thing as free healthcare in USA and insuarance policies prices are mind boggling.

and if you dont pay insuarance and got seriously ill and your bill goes into hundred-thousands you going to have to declare banrkupcy, US government doesnt want people like that.

Oh don`t go that far! I mustn`t be ill! I`ve been waiting for this opportunity far too long to screw up! I believe that I will find a job, ANY JOB, in a couple of month. I have already moved once to a completely different country. I made it. And not because I had money or had friends in this country. I had nothing! I worked hard for my existence and everything I have now. From zero with poor English language skill. Now nobody should tell me how hard it is! Because I know! And America is just another country where you can make it if you want. It is easy.

Oh don`t go that far! I mustn`t be ill! I`ve been waiting for this opportunity far too long to screw up! I believe that I will find a job, ANY JOB, in a couple of month. I have already moved once to a completely different country. I made it. And not because I had money or had friends in this country. I had nothing! I worked hard for my existence and everything I have now. From zero with poor English language skill. Now nobody should tell me how hard it is! Because I know! And America is just another country where you can make it if you want. It is easy.

Where are you from and where did you move? If you dont mind sharing obviously...

I based my figures on my current life in UK, since cost of living in US is not exactly cheaper (depends what state obviously) Property are generally cheaper to buy for sq/m but rent is the same... To run our family with 4 members a year takes around 60k pounds that is 95k dollars... That obviously includes everything houses,cars,fuel,food, holidays ect... I mean when you spend 2000 a month on a property mortgage thats already 24 000 a year so it really doesnt seem as much as it looks... a bit of maintainace broken boilers, water,gas,electricity bills, re-fit ect ect and that figure is pushed toward 30k pounds.

big change from my old country where our family income was 700 dollars with 2 members working :p but our flat with size140sq m only set us back 5000 dollars (in 90`s we sold it for 10 000 in 2006) instead of nearly 500 000 dollars for same size in UK...

Yes, living in the US is not always cheap, but it really does not take 95K per year. On average food for a 4 members family is roughly about 5-600 per month, but I know people who spend much less than that, car and gas are not really needed if you live in NY or Chicago for example, but they are pretty much needed anywhere else, and especially in the South where public transportation is not the best and everything is very spread out. You can find a reliable car for roughly $5000-6000, gas could be somewhere about 200 per month, and for rent, you can find affordable apartments for under 2000 even in the NY area. For example in Texas you can find plenty of good areas to live in with rents of around $1,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I think a family of 4 can make it on much less than $5000 per month with no problems, but you have to be smart about it and not buy into the American life of paying for style and conveniences.

Yeah this does ring true... but I calculated that if i transferred my UK lifestyle to US, it will not cost me less to maintain there... Hope is that salary will be increased... For 3 bed in the north states chicago,NYC you will still end up paying towards 3grand... Fuel is cheaper but cars are not... I can buy a ford mondeo with mileage under 100k for about 500 pounds pre 2000 year... depending on age, insuarance in UK would set me back 250 quid for comp and 1000 dollars in USA for 3rd party...

I never said that you would need 90k to survive, I know people who live with income under 18k a year with 4 family members... its just that they are living worse than we did in Lithuania......

at the end you did mention you can survive on less than 5000 a month if you do not buy into American life... but most people want to move to USA so we can get the taste of American style...

All I am trying to say is that, you should be careful where you tread.. its so easy to assume that if you move to USA your life will suddenly improve, thats why the American dreams broke so many lives and hopes.

Many of us from old Soviet Union countries also fail to realise apart from paid healthcare is that Universities are not free.... and some would set you back around 20k dollars a year in tuition fees and to get in, the kids would have to prove that you "parents" can afford it...

I based my figures on my current life in UK, since cost of living in US is not exactly cheaper (depends what state obviously) Property are generally cheaper to buy for sq/m but rent is the same... To run our family with 4 members a year takes around 60k pounds that is 95k dollars... That obviously includes everything houses,cars,fuel,food, holidays ect... I mean when you spend 2000 a month on a property mortgage thats already 24 000 a year so it really doesnt seem as much as it looks... a bit of maintainace broken boilers, water,gas,electricity bills, re-fit ect ect and that figure is pushed toward 30k pounds.

big change from my old country where our family income was 700 dollars with 2 members working :p but our flat with size140sq m only set us back 5000 dollars (in 90`s we sold it for 10 000 in 2006) instead of nearly 500 000 dollars for same size in UK...

I live in England too - from Hungary. So you don`t have to tell how much is to live here. I understand your concerns now, as you have 2 kids. And as living in this country I see that English life is expensive, but if temporary you give up spending on "extras" it makes it easier - I still remember when I had nearly nothing (my monthly wage was about 200 pounds in 2008) in my country and had to save for the monthly payments/bills. It wasnt easy but still could do it for good in case I don`t get a job straight away.
Still believe that around $10k for a young couple would be enough- at least for a while, but I`m not that person who sits on her buttocks, and waiting for an offer.
See you for now

I live in England too - from Hungary. So you don`t have to tell how much is to live here. I understand your concerns now, as you have 2 kids. And as living in this country I see that English life is expensive, but if temporary you give up spending on "extras" it makes it easier - I still remember when I had nearly nothing (my monthly wage was about 200 pounds in 2008) in my country and had to save for the monthly payments/bills. It wasnt easy but still could do it for good in case I don`t get a job straight away.
Still believe that around $10k for a young couple would be enough- at least for a while, but I`m not that person who sits on her buttocks, and waiting for an offer.
See you for now

I never directed my repply straight at you, so please dont be offended by the things I said... Kinda tried to paint the picture for everyone...

I never directed my repply straight at you, so please dont be offended by the things I said... Kinda tried to paint the picture for everyone...

That`s OK! And same here, I just wanted to try to make my opinion clear too. Let`s see how others thing! I`m curious!

90K is a BIG salary. Most people do not make that much. I made 60k while I lived there and that is considered pretty good. I was in Baltimore. I was comfortable with my car and had enough to shop, go out and even save quite a bit each month. I lived with a good friend. We shared a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment so we were able to split electric and cable and internet bills. So that helped a bit. But I had plenty of co-workers that lived alone on that salary and were very comfortable. They went to happy hour almost every Friday and partied all the time. I don't live that lifestyle, so I went out with other friends. But the point is, 60K is pretty good in a lot of cities.
I have a bachelors and work in healthcare. Now if you do not have a university degree that is in demand and will get you a decent paying job fast, things will be harder. I personally knew families that struggled on 30-40k a year. You must also think of taxes. When you are given an offer, they give you pre-tax amount. After federal, state and city taxes, social security, medical/dental insurance, medicare/aid all come out of your paycheck, about 1/3 will be gone. so let's say you a get $1000 payslip, you only actually get $700 in your bank account.
Electricity, let's say about $100-200, depending how much heat or air conditioning you use. Internet $60. You could get a package deal with cable and phone if you want for varied prices. Car insurance, if you just get there with no US driving record could cost you about $100 a month or more. A nice one bedroom apt for $900, maybe less if you know how to shop for specials. We had a decent 2 bed/2ba in a gated community for 1200/mo, with a pool, hot tub, club house, water included. Gas about $200/mo with a 30min commute to work and weekend outings. Groceries $300-400/mo for 2 of us (2 girls who eat healthy, not too much processed foods). Cell phone was $100 but that's because I had the full internet/GPS/phone deal. You can also find prepaid cell phones and pay as little as $30-40/mo if you're not a big talker.
You have to shop around to get the most for your money and it will take a while if you are new tot he country and the way things work there. If you can afford a car, try to live away from the bus routes. Usually safer areas. Around September/october you will find specials for apartments.

NOTE: These were prices for BALTIMORE city area. Virginia, Florida, Texas, Georgia are cheaper states to live in. New York city, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washingon DC are some of the most expensive paces to live. Many immigrants live there, and many new comers go there to find the American dream and stay with people they know. But it is not worth it if 10 people have to live in a small space. Too many people pay a lot and struggle only to be less comfortable than they were in their own countries. It's not as easy as you see on TV. Stay with people you know to begin, but as soon as you can you may want to find cheaper cities to move.

90K is a BIG salary. Most people do not make that much. I made 60k while I lived there and that is considered pretty good. I was in Baltimore. I was comfortable with my car and had enough to shop, go out and even save quite a bit each month. I lived with a good friend. We shared a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment so we were able to split electric and cable and internet bills. So that helped a bit. But I had plenty of co-workers that lived alone on that salary and were very comfortable. They went to happy hour almost every Friday and partied all the time. I don't live that lifestyle, so I went out with other friends. But the point is, 60K is pretty good in a lot of cities.
I have a bachelors and work in healthcare. Now if you do not have a university degree that is in demand and will get you a decent paying job fast, things will be harder. I personally knew families that struggled on 30-40k a year. You must also think of taxes. When you are given an offer, they give you pre-tax amount. After federal, state and city taxes, social security, medical/dental insurance, medicare/aid all come out of your paycheck, about 1/3 will be gone. so let's say you a get $1000 payslip, you only actually get $700 in your bank account.
Electricity, let's say about $100-200, depending how much heat or air conditioning you use. Internet $60. You could get a package deal with cable and phone if you want for varied prices. Car insurance, if you just get there with no US driving record could cost you about $100 a month or more. A nice one bedroom apt for $900, maybe less if you know how to shop for specials. We had a decent 2 bed/2ba in a gated community for 1200/mo, with a pool, hot tub, club house, water included. Gas about $200/mo with a 30min commute to work and weekend outings. Groceries $300-400/mo for 2 of us (2 girls who eat healthy, not too much processed foods). Cell phone was $100 but that's because I had the full internet/GPS/phone deal. You can also find prepaid cell phones and pay as little as $30-40/mo if you're not a big talker.
You have to shop around to get the most for your money and it will take a while if you are new tot he country and the way things work there. If you can afford a car, try to live away from the bus routes. Usually safer areas. Around September/october you will find specials for apartments.

NOTE: These were prices for BALTIMORE city area. Virginia, Florida, Texas, Georgia are cheaper states to live in. New York city, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washingon DC are some of the most expensive paces to live. Many immigrants live there, and many new comers go there to find the American dream and stay with people they know. But it is not worth it if 10 people have to live in a small space. Too many people pay a lot and struggle only to be less comfortable than they were in their own countries. It's not as easy as you see on TV. Stay with people you know to begin, but as soon as you can you may want to find cheaper cities to move.

I noticed that insuarance in US is much higher than UK both health (you can get private in UK too) and car ... Internet is also higher its about 20 dollars for unlimited here with highest available speed... Phones 100 dollars wow... I`ve got Iphone 4s 64 gb when it came out on 3000 minute 3000 text plan + completely unlimited internet (cap is aparrently 100gb a month, never get there) I pay 60 dollars a month and put in a sum of about 300 dollars for the phone when bought it. If you are not a big talker in Uk, 600 minutes, unlim internet, 500 text would set you back around 25 dollars on sim only.

90k for 1 person is a big salary, I was talking about 2 people earning it.

But I guess higher salary, much cheaper gas and cheaper property prices do make up for it.