Timeline

EAD Card Received!!!

I-765 Approved - 7/17
Card Issued - 7/17
Approval Email - 7/20
Card Mailed - 7/20
Card Received - 7/22

Whooo hooo !

Now go get your SS card, just don't be dissapointed if your info isn't in the system yet.
They told us it will take about a month to get.

Hey Someitguy,

SSN is not a problem for me, as i already have, being working on H1B from past 3 yrs ...

thanks though.

someitguy said:
Whooo hooo !

Now go get your SS card, just don't be dissapointed if your info isn't in the system yet.
They told us it will take about a month to get.

New Comer

Hello you all~
It seems to be the perfect place for me to post my status and ask for advices. I'm feeling lucky and thankful.

My Status:
Got married in Aug 2001.
My husband is an USC.
Being in Japan from Aug 2002 to March 2006.
Came to the U.S. (OR State) on 1st March 2006.

June 6 All the GC application was sent out. (Married for 5 years now, but it's my first time application.)
June 9 GC application was received by USCIS.
June 16 ASC Appointment mail arrived.
June 20 RAE(I-485) letter arrived.

Stating: ...unable to complete the processing of .....(I-485)
additional infotmation. You are ineligible for interim
employment authorization requested below. You must
submit the info. wihin 87 days ....

You are ineligible for interim employment authorization
pursuant to Title 8, Code of Federal Regulation, Section 103.2
(b)(10)(ii) until 90 days after the missing initial evidence is
received.

Does it mean that after 90 days, I will be automatically eligible for employment and I can go to the local USCIS office to ask for my EAD?????
RAE reason:
..unable to determine if your household income meets
or ....the poverty line.
They suggests us to submit the w2s and the tax return of 2005.
However, the problem is that my husband and I were in Japan in the past four years. He indeed filed taxes to the States. However, we only have the tax return copy of 2005 and he never received any W2s from this counytry due to the fact that he was not working on the US soil.
I called the USCIS hotline and only found out that they were totally not helpful. I said:" in our case, without the W2s that the USCIS asked in the RAE letter, what should we do if we do not want to do the co-sponsership?" Are there any files that we can submit to help them to determin whether our last year's income is above or below the poverty line?" The lady on the other side of the tel. line answered in a very plain but cold polite tone:" Sorry, you need to submit all the files that the letter asks you to." I said, " But our situation is special coz my husband was working overseas. We dont have W2s. Therefore, we cannot submit the files that the letter asks us to. So, in our case, what should we do?" Well well well. Guess what, the hotline lady gave me the same answer again! " I dont know. But you need to submit all the files that the letter asks you to..."

June 29 ASC Appointment was done.

July 07 Mail with a Japanese tax statement of 2005 and its translation send out to respond to the RAE letter.
(After having an info pass and talking with the local officer again, I sent out the original copy of the tax statement file of 2005 (Japanese) and the translation(I translated it by myself though) together with that RAE(I-485) to US Department of Homeland Security, MO on July 7th.

Today is July 24, two weeks have past just like that. However, I havent received any reply yet. The whether is hot this week in OR. State. I started to get worried. After all, I have been in the United States for 115 days!!!

Brothers and sisters, do you have any ideas or sugestions on what should I do now? How long will it take for me to get EAD??? Will it possible they are going to send me the second RAE because we simply dont have w2s that they had asked for due to our 2005 living in Japan. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome Xiaoping,

I will add you to our timeline, thanks for your information.

Did you submit the tax return of 2005 with your original application?
Did you send paystubs?
Did you check whether or not your husband is making enough for your household? (There is a poverty guideline, and you guys have to be 125 percent over that, unless he is in the military then it's just 100 percent.)
You talked to an Infopass Officer about it, so I'm thinking what you sent with your RFE will be fine.

Yeah, that service number isn't always that helpful.

Did you send your RFE (we call it RFE, not RAE, but I know what you mean! :) ) with some kind of notification receipt, meaning, can you trace your package?
Don't worry, it sometimes takes a while for them to process it. You will get a receipt email from them soon.

About that 90 days questions of yours: Usually, when you get an RFE, your EAD will take a little longer. And under normal circumstances you could apply for an interim EAD (iEAD) if you didn't get your EAD after 90 days. Now, with that RFE, the letter states that you cannot apply for an iEAD until it's been 90 days after they received your RFE.

On the other hand... I still tried to get an iEAD after 90 days of the original Notice Date of my I-765. And they still gave me an iEAD, even though it was only about 50 days after they received my RFE.

With what Visa did you come into the US? Don't worry about the overstaying, it's forgiven to spouses of USCs. Just don't leave the country ok?

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!
:)

P.S. Can you give me your exact Notice Date and the Notice Date of your RFE?

XiaopingZer Saying Thank You

Hello Patty,

I took a little nap just now. It is so hot today here in Portland. When I woke up, I saw your reply! Thank You.

Before talking abt my situation, how was your interview going? (Just noticed that you had an interview this morning.)

Here are some additional info of my status:

I came here on a visitor's visa. B2 I think.

We prepared all the files under the direction of the local USCIS officer. Actually, before sending the GC application out, we runt to the office again with an info pass to ask the officer to check it again for us to see whethe the files are good and suficient. We sent the tax return of 2005, and the checks(got several mails from USCIS with the receipt number and notice date on them.).

We carefully checked that the income of 2005 is above the national poverty line by transfer the Japanese yen to American dollars.

I should have the receipt that was given by the Post office. (Just called the post office tracing system to know that the mail of responding to the RFE was received by the USCIS on July 7th.

In terms of the email from the USCIS, I just registered for the email notice service. And truely thanks to this BBS, I just found out that I can actually get on line to find my case progress. ( Though, I checked yesterday, it said nothing but WE HAD RECEIVED YOUR APPLICATION ON JUNE 9TH, ....WE WILL LET YOU KNOW THE DECISION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...something like that.)
Seeing so simply information on it, I wonder, couldn't help wonder whether this means that my case has not being progressed at all.

I will not go back to China before I get the iEAD even though I am longing to go back to see my families and friends from this endless waiting hot days.

Finally, my notice date was June 9th and the REF arrived date was June 20

That's all the info to the questions in your last post. And, thank you again for being there and being helpful!

I noticed the term "LUD", what does it mean? :)

Wish you all have a cool evening!

Xiaoping,

everything sounds good to me, so you needn't worry.
That online status is not very reliable, so don't worry about that one either. Check it once in a while, but when something important has come up in your process you will get an email.

LUDs are Last Updated Dates. It's when the dates in your online status change, with or without an email notification. It means that they have touched your file.

If you got a receipt notification thingy from the Post Office, it has a confirmation number. With that you can trace it online on the USPS website.
You had to buy it though when you mailed your letter, 50 more cents I think.

If you don't have it, and you don't hear anything from USCIS within the next two weeks, I would call the service number again.

Xiaoping, until when is your I-94 valid? It's important that if you have stayed a lot longer than the I-94 is valid then you are not supposed to leave the US before you get the GC!! You could have trouble going back into the US.

I hope you have a good night... Denver is very very hot too, but it's ok with A/C! :)

I got interview letter

Today 7/24/2006 I got interview letter, the letter notice date is 7/17/2006 and my LUD date has not changed at all :confused: Does it mean that I will not get LUD for EAD, maybe LUD are good indications for EAD???
My interview date is on August 31 (99 days from ND). I hope I will get my EAD before interview..

Got AP approval

Funny, after so many LUDs on all my docs other than 131, I got an email today saying that my AP (131) was approved on 07/21/2006 and that the letter was sent on the same day.

I need AP more than EAD, so I'm actually very happy!

Patty Got Gc-congrats

Patty tell us how Did your interview go, I am already nervous, any advices??
CONGRATULATIONS ON GC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thanks blondy!! :)
I posted my experience, it's still on the first page. But I'm also gonna dig out that big experience thread and post again there.

Don't be nervous, when your marriage is legit there really is nothing at all to worry about!

Is Second REF Possible?

So far, I haven"t heard about anybody who had got the second REF letter from the USCIS. Hope, I won't have one. Then I don"t have to wait for another couple of months.

Thanks Someitguy

Because now I dont have the EAD yet, I have been at home for about three months now~ Time flies too fast!!!
Talking about time, tomorrow, we are going to celebrate our fifth year marriage!
My birthday day is Aug 24th, hope by then, I can at least get the work permit and get a job(Is it maybe too much to ask for).
:rolleyes:
Today is much cooler here in Portland. Wish you all enjoy today with a peaceful heart. :) :D

Xiaoping, I know what you mean... I can't wait to start working!!
I hope for you that you will get the EAD as a birthday present. :)
Without wanting to disappoint you, you will have to apply for a Social Security Number after you received your EAD, so you can get hired for a job. That can take about 4 weeks to get too.
So you have to be patient.. everything will be fine in the end!

Congratulations to your 5 year marriage! :)

What if I have

Hello Patty,
Thanks for the reply. I had always thought that after getting the EAD you could start to find a job! If with a tax number(not the S.S.)number, can you work? Or at least can you start to apply for jobs or even getting interview?

You might find a job that will start you working by showing your EAD and application reciept for SS card, but most shy away for fear of immigration ramifications.

Like my wife, you will probably have to wait to get the SS card before getting employment.

Thanks

To Someitguy,

This piece of info is very useful for me!
If lucky enough, I can get the iEAD and S.S.number by giving it a little more time. However, job hunting seems like another rock to deal with. :)
Well, what can I do? No complains. :D