• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery Re-draw Oct

'm not saying this to be mean but I, personally, prefer to keep my expectations low and end up being pleasantly surprised, rather than devastated because I got myself worked up over this. I appreciate all input on this.

I concur, the odds are not in our favour.

I personally do not think that a re-draw will take place. That is why DoS keeps highlighting the word MAYBE. That notation is only there as a formality. However, IF it does take place, only Asia and Africa will be affected as they get a large percentage of selectees. It is likely for these regions to not have a good turnout thus far (i.e. disqualifications, fraudulent documentation, do not the meet minimum education requirements, broke, expecting notification via mail etc.)

Does anyone know what will happen to those 22,000 visa that were not issued due to DV-2012 fiasco?

I personally do not think that a re-draw will take place. That is why DoS keeps highlighting the word MAYBE. That notation is only there as a formality. However, IF it does take place, only Asia and Africa will be affected as they get a large percentage of selectees. It is likely for these regions to not have a good turnout thus far (i.e. disqualifications, fraudulent documentation, do not the meet minimum education requirements, broke, expecting notification via mail etc.)

Does anyone know what will happen to those 22,000 visa that were not issued due to DV-2012 fiasco?

Are you sure about that? I mean are you sure that they weren't issued?
Sorry, for me it's al new here! ;-) About the selection (possible selection) i think you are right. Africa and Asia usually have
lots of applicants. Maybe this would be good for Europe and the Pacific. Nevertheless, i don't hope to much any more.
There's only a small chance to win. So i need to change my path that leads to USA.

But winning would be a nice surprise!

BTW, I still haven't gotten a response after e-mailing KCC about the status of the October 22nd re-draw. Not that I was really expecting to get one.
On another note, I know everyone is really excited about the possibility of re-draw and winning the lottery in general, but we need to remember that the odds of winning are really low. I'm not saying this to be mean but I, personally, prefer to keep my expectations low and end up being pleasantly surprised, rather than devastated because I got myself worked up over this. I appreciate all input on this.
The odds of winning DV lottery at 1 out of 75 are actually quite good as far as lotteries go. The payoff of getting a better life in USA is in the millions of dollars in a lifetime (assuming $30,000 a year income and 40 years of life in USA). By comparison Indiana lottery pays a couple of dollars for its game with 1:53 odds.

Still, it is a lottery, and it's pure dumb luck. I have entered DV lottery off and on since I became aware of it back in 2000, back when they still used papers and envelopes. I didn't bother checking until June this year because this could very well be another losing year, so I was hugely (and pleasantly) surprised when the selection letter with that logo appeared on my PC. I had to read it three times to make sure it really means that we win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure about that? I mean are you sure that they weren't issued?
Sorry, for me it's al new here! ;-) About the selection (possible selection) i think you are right. Africa and Asia usually have
lots of applicants. Maybe this would be good for Europe and the Pacific. Nevertheless, i don't hope to much any more.
There's only a small chance to win. So i need to change my path that leads to USA.

But winning would be a nice surprise!

Remember, the 22,000 ex-winners lost the appeal sometime in July 2012 to which only two months of that fiscal was left. Unless they issued the 22,000 visa between July and September?

Trust me, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out what is really going on. For e.g. there are about an average of 15-18 selectees each year from my country and about 900+ from Oceania. Five months have elapsed since the initial selection on May 1st; thus chances are the selectees have already submitted their forms respectively. However, the only possibility for a re-draw for these two countries is IF the majority of applicants did not continue with the process OR disqualified.

So again, there is a possibility for a second selection for Asia, Africa and perhaps Europe. But don't hold your breath...:cool:

But yes, winning would be a nice surprise. Everyone is in it to WIN it!! Hope to win but don't EXPECT to win.

Did you know that many people here just play without the intention to move. They just like it because it's a game.
If they win, they don't go any further with the process. It's a shame!

Win dv the ex-22k is a bye gone issue after all another redraw was conducted July 15 with newly winners for DV2012 even on a low turn out of returning winning forms for process.Visas has never been exaulted in a particular year program of DV.
As for the second redraw for DV2013 there will be more winners come Oct 22 but not on a selections cos its seems there are some hidden winners which were not announced May 1st.Don't KCC conducted a second redraw selections but some hidden winners which i guess.
If there won't be any second redraw by now KCC would had removed the word MAY BE or WILL BE from our status after all Oct 22 is the announcement date of the results so why still the word MAY BE or WILL BE on our status when Oct 22 is of three days time from now.Anything is still possible cos there have been low turn out of returning forms of winning applicants only few turning up and i guess DV2014 might just have a low submition of entries comparing to previous years with huge submition of entries.I don't hope on Oct 22.Plan B is always there waiting.
Entered DV2014:Oct 18.

Sorry for this stupid question, but what's a hidden winner? Is that someone that not had been selected may 1st? Or is that someone who's selected, and had received NL, but the number is too high?

I know, this sounds really stupid, but it's all new for me and my native language is not English, so...
I 'm in a learning phase!:D

Sorry for this stupid question, but what's a hidden winner? Is that someone that not had been selected may 1st? Or is that someone who's selected, and had received NL, but the number is too high?

I know, this sounds really stupid, but it's all new for me and my native language is not English, so...
I 'm in a learning phase!:D

There's a theory that they pick more winners than they announce. They're "spares" or "substitutes". Then when they reckon they don't have enough to fulfill the 50k available visas, they release these already selected but hidden winners and let them know they've been selected for further processing. But then there's stuff being said by US govt officials that say they actually go back and select new winners. So who really knows what's going on? It's hard enough to understand for those of us whose native language is English so don't apologize, it's perfectly understandable to be totally confused about what's going on. It's like a totally different language that none of us are familiar with: US-Governmentese. We sort of fumble around and help each other find things in the dark here. So welcome!

Thanks Vichel for the very helpfull explanation. US Governmentese seems to be quite hard for everybody.
Nevertheless, we will see on monday what will happen! Have a nice weekend!

hehehehe school boy is back. sup

Tiwanna its good to be back on forum.Missed you guys.
Just want to wish every non selectees of DV2013 expecting a second draw best of luck if its going to be possible and the selectees here successful interviews.

The reason of a second draw (not a re-draw!) is that they kept aside 22000 visa of DV 2013 because in may 2012 the appeal was still pendant. Now the court took its decision and they need to grand those 22000 visa. That may also explain why numbers published on the visa bulletin are low.

The reason of a second draw (not a re-draw!) is that they kept aside 22000 visa of DV 2013 because in may 2012 the appeal was still pendant. Now the court took its decision and they need to grand those 22000 visa. That may also explain why numbers published on the visa bulletin are low.

Thank you for your information.

What is the status of DV-2012 appeal? Does it game over?

Do you think the future visa bulletin will big jump, such as January 2013?

The odds of winning DV lottery at 1 out of 75 are actually quite good as far as lotteries go. The payoff of getting a better life in USA is in the millions of dollars in a lifetime (assuming $30,000 a year income and 40 years of life in USA). By comparison Indiana lottery pays a couple of dollars for its game with 1:53 odds.

Still, it is a lottery, and it's pure dumb luck. I have entered DV lottery off and on since I became aware of it back in 2000, back when they still used papers and envelopes. I didn't bother checking until June this year because this could very well be another losing year, so I was hugely (and pleasantly) surprised when the selection letter with that logo appeared on my PC. I had to read it three times to make sure it really means that we win.

Can't agree with you more. Same here. I started entering in the 90s. This year, I couldn't believe my eyes and have read the letter more than 10 times, cried, pinched myself and screamed on top of my lungs, I was esctatic at that moment... Sometimes, I still ask myself if this is a dream. IN HIS TIME! God knows the best time and best year for us. And I pray that all of us will get through the interview.