• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Well, I kind of think the oposite, I am in Canada but would rather go to Australia (visit first). here are my cons about Canada:
  • The weather... Until you experience 100+ days per year of snow, from December to mid april you have temperature ranging from -5 to -30 (plus wind chill which makes it feels -12 to -40).
How would anybody torment themselves to live in such harsh conditions, is beyond my understanding. There's a joke that I know that says something like this: " Summer in Canada begins on the 21st of July. It ends on the 22nd of July."
Lots of areas in the US have equally harsh winters (Midwest and NE), but at least they have moderate periods of spring, summer.

How would anybody torment themselves to live in such harsh conditions, is beyond my understanding. There's a joke that I know that says something like this: " Summer in Canada begins on the 21st of July. It ends on the 22nd of July).
Lots of areas in the US have equally harsh winters (Midwest and NE), but at least they have moderate periods of spring, summer.

I'm not sure if the system still works like this, but it used to be at least that if you were a doctor, they'd put you in somewhere godforsaken like that for 4 years then you could get citizenship and then live where you want. My cousin was a doctor in a hospital in rural Saskatchewan under this scheme and almost all of the hospital's doctors were foreign. So yes, many need incentives! Though I am constantly amazed at the conditions under which people live. Of course immigrants from Sweden etc were well used to conditions like that.

How would anybody torment themselves to live in such harsh conditions, is beyond my understanding. There's a joke that I know that says something like this: " Summer in Canada begins on the 21st of July. It ends on the 22nd of July."
Although harsh, winter in the NE is not like let say Quebec (apart the extreme NE which border Newfoundland, for the Midwest, I can not say).
The first time I went to NYC was in April 2011, it was warm, then I came back to Montreal... I was freezing.
One example, last year in Boston was exceptionally cold.... Winter vortex they were saying.... When I actually saw the temperatures and the snow I was like "Well, on a normal winter in Montreal, we have way more than that...." Ottawa is actualy the world's coldest capital, and Winnipeg is the world's coldest large city.

This year though is unusually warm (all of the NE), still no snow here in Montreal. In Canada, Toronto is not that bad, although very cold, on a Canadian standard, it has moderate weather. Alberta... Man, you have to love your oil job (although it is coming to an end thanks to cop21 and low oil price) because it get COOOOOOOOLD. Vancouver is not cold... But rainy as hell.
As for Canadian prairies... (Saskatchewan, Manitoba...) Who the hell wants to live there? Saskatoon? Winnipeg? ... Really? Cold as hell. I remember a joke in a Simpson episode Where Homer went to Canada to buy medicine, he went to Winnipeg and the city slogan was : We were born here, what's your excuse?
FABF16_3.png

Sharing my thoughts,

Gotta admit, I'm worried about my chances of getting accepted. Now that the situation in the middle east doesn't look good, and terrorist attacks that have been happening lately cause of the SO called Muslims.

Really sad for whats happening to the innocent people and their families.

I'm from Saudi Arabia...Yeah you now the rest... Not sure what to expect here.. Was there any update regarding this matter? I know for sure that I will go through some SERIOUS SERIOUS check ups if I get accepted, and I don't blame them.

Hope that my previous experience in the US as a student would ease the process, but don't think so.

Wish everyone the best

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I deleted my own post after 10 secs of writing it . It was I who deleted it...
@Maisy,

I had to delete your post as we do not encourage highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions in this forum. Your decision to proceed or not to proceed with the visa lottery is yours, we respect that. But please no inappropriate posts as to what or who think the President of the United States is!

To to honest mom, I wish it was the 60s where Kennedy was the president or much earlier Lincoln was my favourite...Clinton wasn't bad either...I think I should have been born earlier when America was the land of milk and honey. I believe it still is in some places.

I'm sorry but I deleted my own post after 10 secs of writing it . It was I who deleted it...

No, it was deleted by Mom - and rightly so - there were too many obviously incorrect and inflammatory statements in there. If you really believe those things you said (which I doubt you could), you are very badly misinformed.

To to honest mom, I wish it was the 60s where Kennedy was the president or much earlier Lincoln was my favourite...Clinton wasn't bad either...I think I should have been born earlier when America was the land of milk and honey. I believe it still is in some places.

I think you should spend some time reading from different sources that you currently use to learn more about the USA. It still is a land of enormous opportunity, but I'm not sure it was ever a land of milk and honey.

Take this as being kind words of advice: drop the politics.

I think you should spend some time reading from different sources that you currently use to learn more about the USA. It still is a land of enormous opportunity, but I'm not sure it was ever a land of milk and honey.

It's always been the land of people getting ahead for hard work. Those who want "milk and honey" are the ones who think places with generous welfare systems and free healthcare are better ;)

@Maisy,

I had to delete your post as we do not encourage highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions in this forum. Your decision to proceed or not to proceed with the visa lottery is yours, we respect that. But please no inappropriate posts as to what or who think the President of the United States is!
:) Please read this in the way it is meant, namely constructively, Sm1smom: obviously we can not know now the specific content of Maisy's "highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions", hence I simply would like to point out that freedom of speech protections under the First Amendment, specifically as pertains to political speech is extensive, as you know. A matter highly relevant to new immigrants to the US, I believe, specifically from countries where these rights to not exist in this shape and form. I fully agree, however, that the DV Lottery forum is not meant for political discussions per se, no question.

:) Please read this in the way it is meant, namely constructively, Sm1smom: obviously we can not know now the specific content of Maisy's "highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions", hence I simply would like to point out that freedom of speech protections under the First Amendment, specifically as pertains to political speech is extensive, as you know. A matter highly relevant to new immigrants to the US, I believe, specifically from countries where these rights to not exist in this shape and form. I fully agree, however, that the DV Lottery forum is not meant for political discussions per se, no question.

And there are plenty of forums for people to post polarizing political opinions, however, this forum isn't one of them. I for one believe stoking political arguments would undermine the primary purpose of this forum, i.e. to help each other.

The forum is moderated, for various reasons. In this case the comments were WAAAAY off topic, and would have detracted from the purpose of the forum. Maisy said she thought she had deleted the post, although it was actually deleted by Mom an hour after posting.

As Susie points out, there are plenty of places where anyone can exercise their FOS - and it is not an infringement of anyone's FOS by moderating a forum (keeping things on topic).

Sm1smom: obviously we can not know now the specific content of Maisy's "highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions", hence I simply would like to point out that freedom of speech protections under the First Amendment, specifically as pertains to political speech is extensive, as you know.

If all you wanted was to know the "specific content of Maisy's" post which I categorized as being highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions relative to this forum, I might have been willing to oblige and provide you with a summary of it. I will however not be drawn into a conversation regarding what and what constitutes freedom of speech protections under the 1st Amendment.

As a moderator I am tasked with challenging and cleaning up inappropriate posts - this requires my making a judgement call, and not based on taking a majority vote.

Yes the OP is entitled to her political opinions, however like I clearly communicated in my post those opinions and any other political opinions are not acceptable in this forum as they deviate from its main purpose of assisting DV selectees wade through DV process.

The forum is moderated, for various reasons. In this case the comments were WAAAAY off topic, and would have detracted from the purpose of the forum. Maisy said she thought she had deleted the post, although it was actually deleted by Mom an hour after posting.

I honestly wasn't even going to bother to respond to her claim of deleting the post herself for whatever reason, but seeing how far things have since gone, I feel a need for some clarifications:

I came across the post within less than 5 minutes of her posting it (contrary to her claim of deleting it within 10 seconds of posting) and I promptly deleted it. If you check my explanatory post immediately following that deleted post you will notice it was posted less than 10 minutes of her original post.

Because I deleted the post almost as soon as she posted, the system software assumed she was the one that deleted it and recorded it as such. I realized this when I came back online about an hour later and to rectify the erroneous record being displayed under the deleted post, I had to go back into the 'moderator's tool tab' and delete it again hence the one hour time difference currently being displayed under the post.

I honestly wasn't even going to bother to respond to her claim of deleting the post herself for whatever reason, but seeing how far things have since gone, I feel a need for some clarifications:

I came across the post within less than 5 minutes of her posting it (contrary to her claim of deleting it within 10 seconds of posting) and I promptly deleted it. If you check my explanatory post immediately following that deleted post you will notice it was posted less than 10 minutes of her original post.

Because I deleted the post almost as soon as she posted, the system software assumed she was the one that deleted it and recorded it as such. I realized this when I came back online about an hour later and to rectify the erroneous record being displayed under the deleted post, I had to go back into the 'moderator's tool tab' and delete it again hence the one hour time difference currently being displayed under the post.

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. You will see she posted another similar post, which I deleted, and pm'd her with a request (as a mod) for her to stop posting such points, and I also made some points from my non mod side. I hope we can get back on topic now.

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. You will see she posted another similar post, which I deleted, and pm'd her with a request (as a mod) for her to stop posting such points, and I also made some points from my non mod side. I hope we can get back on topic now.

Yeah, I saw it and just had to roll my eyes. Anyway, back on topic as you said.

So you're claiming UAE for chargeability, which is correct... I'm missing the problem??
In 9 FAM 502.6 (Diversity immigrant visas) 9 FAM 502.6-4 section d it stated the following “A principal registrant born in a country, which is among those for which Diversity Visas are available, may derive a more favorable foreign state of chargeability from an accompanying alien spouse. For example, a principal applicant from a DV eligible country from a high-admission region may claim a more favorable chargeability from a spouse, who is from a DV eligible country from a lowadmission region, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the DV entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously”
Is this mean if I born in Saudi, I can cross chargeability to Egypt from spouse given the relation before apply to get more benefit? Thank you!

Yep - as Susie mentioned, you would be increasing the chance of refusal. Is it really worth introducing this risk?
In 9 FAM 502.6 (Diversity immigrant visas) 9 FAM 502.6-4 section d it stated the following “A principal registrant born in a country, which is among those for which Diversity Visas are available, may derive a more favorable foreign state of chargeability from an accompanying alien spouse. For example, a principal applicant from a DV eligible country from a high-admission region may claim a more favorable chargeability from a spouse, who is from a DV eligible country from a lowadmission region, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the DV entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously”
Is this mean if I born in Saudi, I can cross chargeability to Egypt from spouse given the relation before apply to get more benefit? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: