• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

Hello everybody!

It's a good theme to speak

Do you know smth about immigration to Canada?

What country would you like to live?

These are the most important questions for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody!

You'd need to find a different, general forum for that discussion - this forum is specifically for DV visa immigration into the USA.

Hello everybody!

I am in Canada right now, it has its good and bad, but for my ambitions, Canada is just not for me.
If you are a middle class, just wanting to raise a family in your everyday job, then Canada is a good fit.

If you aim big, Canada may not be the place, lot and lot of Canadian move to the US... I mean a lot, most to pursue cinema, startup, music or high paying job.

And keep in mind that as an immigrant, you will have a very tough time finding a job that suit your degree (50% of taxi drivers in Toronto actually have engineer degrees, doctors, animal doctors... but do not find job...).

I am in Canada, my goal is USA but if i can not get there, sometimes I think about Australia

Last edited:
I am in Canada right now, it has its good and bad, but for my ambitions, Canada is just not for me.
If you are a middle class, just wanting to raise a family in your everyday job, then Canada is a good fit.

If you aim big, Canada may not be the place, lot and lot of Canadian move to the US... I mean a lot, most to pursue cinema, startup, music or high paying job.

And keep in mind that as an immigrant, you will have a very tough time finding a job that suit your degree (50% of taxi drivers in Toronto actually have engineer degrees, doctors, animal doctors... but do not find job...).

I am in Canada, my goal is USA but if i can not get there, sometimes I think about Australia
Interesting

I doubt anyone here can really help you on that. I suggest you look at the USCIS page on the various legal ways to immigrate.

I do know you need to be careful with J visas because some of them require you to return home for two years after they are completed - so you cannot adjust status from those ones.

Hi, I just wanted to correct something, I had j2 visa with 2 year home residency rule before I won the green card lottery and adjusted my status. You can waive that rule by writing a letter, paying the fee and then waiting 3 months for decision. It is not impossible but not so easy either.

Edit :
There are more than 900 000 Canadian in USA LEGALLY, Since Canadian do not get an I94 nor a departure date when they enter the US, many stay there illegally (especially in NYC).

There are more than 300 000 Canadian in the Bay area alone...

Yeh Canada.. it's nice, but.. it kinda sucks. It's cold and boring.

imho most immigrants who move to Canada would prefer the USA, but they take Canada as their plan B. It's USA-lite.

imho most immigrants who move to Canada would prefer the USA, but they take Canada as their plan B. It's USA-lite.

Funny this post came up..we are currently considering the move to Canada (from Australia) - just that one step closer to the US ;)

Q

Funny this post came up..we are currently considering the move to Canada (from Australia) - just that one step closer to the US ;)

Q
Well, I kind of think the oposite, I am in Canada but would rather go to Australia (visit first). here are my cons about Canada:
  • The weather... Until you experience 100+ days per year of snow, from December to mid april you have temperature ranging from -5 to -30 (plus wind chill which makes it feels -12 to -40). Where you electricity bills climb up to more than 400$ a month because you need to heat up your home. After the winter is over you have to deal with the rain... then august and september are nice
  • Expensive (internet, phone, TV...) unlimited internet here start from 60 to 80$ per month and you do not get the TV nor the phone at that price, 4G / LTE data.... 70$ for just 2Gb...
  • Not a lot of food in groceries stores, When I went back to France, I was amazed about the different choices you had in term of food.
  • If you are black (even with advanced degree), you are more likely to work as a security guard or taxi driver... The unemployment rate among immigrant and visible minority is more than twice the national average.
  • Not too risk savvy for entreprenorship, that is why ambitiious young canadian are moving out.
  • expensive real estate
  • Everytime I go to Walmart.com (american walmart) I see lot and lot of product you do not have in Canada and that can not be shipped to Canada (same for Costco, Marshalls...).

But I do not agree about the boring part... True most of Canada is boring but cities like Montreal and Toronto can be fun, the largest caribean street festival in the western world is actualy in Toronto (Caribana festival)

Not in your opinion, it is kind of true, For most immigrant to Canada, either they could not even apply for USA or were rejected... The only group that goes there as a first choice are caraibean and some french (even the french goes there because they feels USA is too hard), French people who have money or a startup, all go to USA (especially New York and San Francisco on a E2 visa which is what I am planning to get since I am a french citizen)

My plan is bootstraping my startup, save some money then apply for the E2 visa (5 years indefinitely extendable)

However, if Donald Trump somehow becomes President of the USA, look for a WHOLE LOT of Americans suddenly wanting to emigrate to Canada... I'd be one of 'em.

However, if Donald Trump somehow becomes President of the USA, look for a WHOLE LOT of Americans suddenly wanting to emigrate to Canada... I'd be one of 'em.
Well, you have nothing to worry about, there is no way Trump (or even Cruz or Carson) become US president....

Keep in mind that Trump has to win Florida, Pensilvania and Ohio in order to have chance to win and there is no way trump can win Florida and Pensilvania

Luckily the US is a democracy that can vote its presidents out again after 4 years. Would be strange to make a life changing decision like emigration for a temporary problem, but different strokes for different folks...

Countless number of Americans, starting with Stephen Baldwin, Rush Limbaugh, et al, threatened to emigrate to Canada if Obama won the presidency. Well, Obama is 7 years into his presidency and they're yet to make true on that promise. Nothing new!

Countless number of Americans, starting with Stephen Baldwin, Rush Limbaugh, et al, threatened to emigrate to Canada if Obama won the presidency. Well, Obama is 7 years into his presidency and they're yet to make true on that promise. Nothing new!

Sadly they didn't leave...

Bernie Sanders for president! lol
"too bad" it will be Hillary.
Sanders is a nice man but he want to turn the USA into Danemark.
As for Clinton, despite all her bad thing, she is way better than Cruz, Trump or Carson.
Only Rubio can beat her but as strange as it seems, republican do not want to win the white house otherwise Trump, Cruz and Carson won't be leading

Okay people, let's leave politics out of this forum. This is a DV lottery forum, not meant for discussions on whom our favorite presidential candidate is or who we consider ideal for the WH!

@Maisy,

I had to delete your post as we do not encourage highly inflammatory and inappropriate political opinions in this forum. Your decision to proceed or not to proceed with the visa lottery is yours, we respect that. But please no inappropriate posts as to what or who think the President of the United States is!