• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi,
I am a winner this time and my CN is AS1XXX. Thank you for all the resources!! I have a few questions.
1. Shall I fill the DS260 now? Or should I wait closer to October?
2. If we fill the DS260, how would the KCC know that we are on AOS tract, not the CP ?
3. My parents won the lottery last year from Asia region, and their CN is 17xxx, and still waiting for an interview. I want to know whether either of our processes may get impacted by the others. Is there any chance of such?

Please help me understand.
1. You may, if you wish. Be sure to go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet if you’re yet to do so.
2. You indicate your processing preference on the DS260 form.
3. No impact.

Congrats to all who got selected!

My submission was selcted as well and case number is a little less than 5000. I am from one of those countries cutoff date historically is usually a couple thousand behind than rest of Asia. I am currently on STEM OPT that expires in Jan 25.

My employer has started the process to move me to another country (Not home country), but I was wondering if it is worth the hassle. I was thinking of taking a leave of absence (if they allow) and maintaining my status through attending college for a semester.

1. Any suggesstions if AOS would be the right thing to do here or just go ahead with Consular Processing (so move to 3rd country)?
2. Also, do I have to take the interview in my home country? (or can I do it in the country my emplyer moves me to?)

Congrats to all who got selected!

My submission was selcted as well and case number is a little less than 5000. I am from one of those countries cutoff date historically is usually a couple thousand behind than rest of Asia. I am currently on STEM OPT that expires in Jan 25.

My employer has started the process to move me to another country (Not home country), but I was wondering if it is worth the hassle. I was thinking of taking a leave of absence (if they allow) and maintaining my status through attending college for a semester.

1. Any suggesstions if AOS would be the right thing to do here or just go ahead with Consular Processing (so move to 3rd country)?
2. Also, do I have to take the interview in my home country? (or can I do it in the country my emplyer moves me to?)
1. I cannot tell you which processing option could be the right one for you, you’ll need to figure that out on your own. You just need to be aware, in order to be eligible to process AOS, you cannot be out of status, not even for one day, prior to filing for AOS.
2. CP interview can be at the embassy/consulate with jurisdiction over your home country, or in the country you’ll be residing at.

Sm1smom , In case of AOS denial, is it possible or recommended to appeal that decision ? Been in a certain District circuit have any influence in the AOS approval ?

Thank you

Hi, My wife won the green card lottery this year. I have a family of 4 people. 2 children and 2 adults. 3 are located in the United States under the U4U program. one in another country. I have a question. Can we not file Form I-485 for him? Now he is not going to come. if you're lucky enough to get a green card. then apply for family reunification in the future. Wouldn't it be a violation of lottery rules if we didn't file Form I-485 for him? Form DS-260 has not been completed or submitted yet. tell me what to do? Thank you.

Hi, My wife won the green card lottery this year. I have a family of 4 people. 2 children and 2 adults. 3 are located in the United States under the U4U program. one in another country. I have a question. Can we not file Form I-485 for him? Now he is not going to come. if you're lucky enough to get a green card. then apply for family reunification in the future. Wouldn't it be a violation of lottery rules if we didn't file Form I-485 for him? Form DS-260 has not been completed or submitted yet. tell me what to do? Thank you.
You cannot file AOS for someone who is not in the US. There’s no requirement for all of your eligible dependents to proceed with you/your wife’s selection as derivatives. Therefore there’s no such thing as violation of DV rules if a derivative does not go ahead and file.

You cannot file AOS for someone who is not in the US. There’s no requirement for all of your eligible dependents to proceed with you/your wife’s selection as derivatives. Therefore there’s no such thing as violation of DV rules if a derivative does not go ahead and file.
Thanks a lot for answer!
In the future can I file form I-130 if I get a green card?

Yes you can. Or p
Thanks a lot for answer!
In the future can I file form I-130 if I get a green card?
Yes you can. Or depending on your CN ranking, + when you complete your AOS process, your family member may be able to process FTJ (follow to join) as a DV derivative. You can take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS process spreadsheet for more information about FTJ.

Yes you can. Or p

Yes you can. Or depending on your CN ranking, + when you complete your AOS process, your family member may be able to process FTJ (follow to join) as a DV derivative. You can take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS process spreadsheet for more information about FTJ.
Thank You so much. For your help!
I have one more question. If my wife won lottery and she is now in US , no needed fill out form I-260? If her case number 24XXX, Will there be enough time to review Form I485 and complete the interview before the end of fiscal year 2025?

Thank You so much. For your help!
I have one more question. If my wife won lottery and she is now in US , no needed fill out form I-260? If her case number 24XXX, Will there be enough time to review Form I485 and complete the interview before the end of fiscal year 2025?
To start with, your CN, as posted without the region, is meaningless. Anyway, I cannot predict when her CN is likely to become current, and even if I could do that, I equally cannot predict if she will have enough time to complete the process or not as each case is reviewed on an individual basis.
There are several factors such as background check clearance, the FO’s workload/their practice around DV based applications, etc.

I however can tell you on the past, we’ve had several cases that became current as late as August or September and they successfully completed the process.

Начнем с того, что ваш CN, опубликованный без региона, не имеет смысла. В любом случае, я не могу предсказать, когда ее CN станет актуальным, и даже если бы я мог это сделать, я в равной степени не могу предсказать, будет ли у нее достаточно времени для завершения процесса или нет, поскольку каждый случай рассматривается в индивидуальном порядке.
Существует несколько факторов, таких как допуск к проверке анкетных данных, рабочая нагрузка FO/их практика работы с приложениями на основе DV и т. д.

Однако я могу рассказать вам о прошлом: у нас было несколько дел, которые стали актуальными еще в августе или сентябре, и они успешно завершили процесс.

Hi. So I’m currently a F1 holder. My case number was 2025OC2017. Because I was unclear of the whole visa bulletin, I did the DS2-260 Asap, because I thought the sooner the better, and now I’ve submitted it two days ago. Will this benefit me or disadvantage me in any way? Will it really ruin my current non immigrant status if I end up not making the cut off number or will it be fine ? I also haven’t completed the documents or photos requirements from it. So what do you think my next step should be ? Should I wait till my 2025 case become current then file my I-485 ? And based on 2023’s stats, my number can go current in the August/September. Do you think there’s enough time for them to process my I-485 in a short period of time before the end of their fiscal year ?

Any answer would really help.
Appreciate it.

The fastest way for you, the main selectee, will be through DV (depending on how high your CN is and it becoming current) considering DV cases have just one year for completing the process. Asylum based AOS could most likely take longer than that. As for your wife, I'm not quite sure about her eligibility to file for or be approved for AOS if she currently has no other valid status outside of her pending asylum.

Should we fill out one form for both of us or should we each fill out separately?

Thank you

Should we fill out one form for both of us or should we each fill out separately?

Thank you
Each person applying for AOS is required to fill and submit form I-485 and make the applicable payment. So if your wife is planning on applying as your derivative, a separate I-485 needs to be submitted for her.

Hi. So I’m currently a F1 holder. My case number was 2025OC2017. Because I was unclear of the whole visa bulletin, I did the DS2-260 Asap, because I thought the sooner the better, and now I’ve submitted it two days ago. Will this benefit me or disadvantage me in any way? Will it really ruin my current non immigrant status if I end up not making the cut off number or will it be fine ? I also haven’t completed the documents or photos requirements from it. So what do you think my next step should be ? Should I wait till my 2025 case become current then file my I-485 ? And based on 2023’s stats, my number can go current in the August/September. Do you think there’s enough time for them to process my I-485 in a short period of time before the end of their fiscal year ?

Any answer would really help.
Appreciate it.
1. DS260 submission will not ruin or impact your current non immigrant status if your CN ends up not becoming current. It however may impact the approval of a future NIV application.
2. To better understand the AOS process and to help you figure out the next steps, I recommend you take a look at the first post on page one of this thread. That post has links to useful tools you need to carefully go through.
3. While we know of cases in the past that successfully completed the process after their CNs became current in August/September, I cannot predict if anyone would be able to successfully complete the process regardless of when they filed or when their CN became current as each case is reviewed based on its totality of circumstances.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.

Since you filed for asylum first, when your current valid status as a visitor expires your new status will be asylum pending, even if you now file for TPS before your current valid status expires. So when you subsequently file for AOS, you will be submitting your application as asylum pending, unless you plan on waiting for TPS approval before filing for AOS.

My recommendation re withdrawing the asylum application is to ensure you roll into TPS pending (as against asylum pending) following the expiration of your current valid status and when you subsequently file for AOS. However, if you prefer, you can go ahead and keep the asylum application in addition to filing for TPS before filing for AOS, your call.
Hello experts,

Returning to this matter, I have a few more questions: I've already applied for TPS while my B2 visa is still valid. I've also submitted an expedited TPS approval request to USCIS, including 100 pages of evidence about my situation, my DV case, the potential fallout of being out of status if TPS isn't approved in time, country conditions, and other confidential evidence from my asylum case.

Please note that my B2 visa status expires at the end of this month, May 2024. So, fingers crossed,

1, if USCIS approves my TPS before my B2 expires, that is before the end of May 2024, can you confirm if legal status will no longer be an issue for my AOS?

2, In case they reject my expedited TPS approval but still approve my TPS after May, let's say around October 2024. Provided I applied for TPS while on status, will the time from May to October (the duration between TPS application and TPS approval) be considered as a status gap (period of being out of status)? Or can I just apply for AOS right after my TPS approval without Legal Status case worry ,as my CN is low?

Any feedback from team members on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance. Once I secure my AOS, I vow to stick around and help newbies.

Last edited:
Hello experts,

Returning to this matter, I have a few more questions: I've already applied for TPS while my B2 visa is still valid. I've also submitted an expedited TPS approval request to USCIS, including 100 pages of evidence about my situation, my DV case, the potential fallout of being out of status if TPS isn't approved in time, country conditions, and other confidential evidence from my asylum case.

Please note that my B2 visa status expires at the end of this month, May 2024. So, fingers crossed, if USCIS approves my TPS before my B2 expires, that is before the end of May 2024, can you confirm if legal status will no longer be an issue for my AOS?

In case they reject my expedited TPS approval but still approve my TPS after May, let's say around October 2024:

2.1. Provided I applied for TPS while on status, will the time from May to October (the duration between TPS application and TPS approval) be considered as a status gap (period of being out of status)? Or can I just apply for AOS right after my TPS approval as my CN is low?

Any feedback from team members on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance. Once I secure my AOS, I vow to stick around and help newbies.
1. If TPS gets approved before your current status expires, there’s no OOS to contend with in that case.
2. If the TPS approval is effective from Oct for instance, then it means you were in asylum pending (OOS) between the period of B2 authorized stay expiration and TPS approval in October.

hello team ,

1,I am planing to file DS260 later around September I belive it does not matter if my CN becomes current on october 2024 because I am using AOS track , does it ? if it does , then when is the right month to file DS260 for CN becoming current on October 2024 ?

2, should I fill DS260 the sooner , ? if my case is low and immigration intent is not my consern provided 2NL is required but optional to be included in AOS application ?

3, when filling DS260 do all my dependents need to have passport ready ? my and my spouse already have one but my daughter passport is not issued yet (pending at my country immigration authority) . should I wait for my daughter passport before filling DS260 ?