• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2023

Hello, before application dates are open, I would like to ask a question regarding different names. I have dual citizenship (Burma and Taiwan) and thus, I have two names (Burmese name on Burma Passport, Chinese name on Taiwan Passport). I am currently residing in and will be applying from Taiwan. Can anyone advise which name or passport I should use for the application? Will I still be eligible to apply?

Hello, before application dates are open, I would like to ask a question regarding different names. I have dual citizenship (Burma and Taiwan) and thus, I have two names (Burmese name on Burma Passport, Chinese name on Taiwan Passport). I am currently residing in and will be applying from Taiwan. Can anyone advise which name or passport I should use for the application? Will I still be eligible to apply?
What is the name on your birth certificate ?
Which country are you chargeable to?
What name do you want to use in the US if you are selected?

What is the name on your birth certificate ?
Which country are you chargeable to?
What name do you want to use in the US if you are selected?
Hello Susie, the name on my birth certificate is in Burmese, and I'm chargeable to Burma. However, my Burmese passport has expired since I haven't returned for a very long time. Burmese passport only contains Burmese name, but Taiwan passport also has Burmese name as my alias. If possible, I would like to use Chinese name and Taiwan Passport.

Last edited:
Hello Susie, the name on my birth certificate is in Burmese, and I'm chargeable to Burma. However, my Burmese passport has expired since I haven't returned for a very long time. Burmese passport only contains Burmese name, but Taiwan passport also has Burmese name as my alias. If possible, I would like to use Chinese name and Taiwan Passport.
Ok so - as your Burmese name is also on the Taiwanese passport you could show how it links to the birth certificate, which you would need to do if selected. (I assume you also have documentation of the name change somewhere if it gets to the point they ask for it.) The name you use on your entry/application will be the name on your green card if you get that far. So given what you’ve said here I don’t see an issue using your Chinese name. You don’t have to use the passport of your birth country (many selectees never even had a passport from their birth country) so there shouldn’t be a problem using the Taiwanese passport for entry. Good luck!

Ok so - as your Burmese name is also on the Taiwanese passport you could show how it links to the birth certificate, which you would need to do if selected. (I assume you also have documentation of the name change somewhere if it gets to the point they ask for it.) The name you use on your entry/application will be the name on your green card if you get that far. So given what you’ve said here I don’t see an issue using your Chinese name. You don’t have to use the passport of your birth country (many selectees never even had a passport from their birth country) so there shouldn’t be a problem using the Taiwanese passport for entry. Good luck!
Alright, thank you very much for your advice, Susie!

Instructions are late this year.
Have not been this late in the last 5 years.

Also found the old instructions for DV-2018.
DV-2018 dates came out on September 16, 2016.
Entry dates: October 4, 2016 to Tuesday, November 7, 2016.

Instructions are late this year.
Have not been this late in the last 5 years.

Also found the old instructions for DV-2018.
DV-2018 dates came out on September 16, 2016.
Entry dates: October 4, 2016 to Tuesday, November 7, 2016.
Last year they came out 30 Sept

I read the instructions and it seems fine but was wondering if anyone had seen or experienced this before: my passport expires in March 2022, so it will be valid for my application, but expired before the draw in May. It will be renewed before DS260/interview/etc, and I know that renewal of passports is ok, I'm just concerned if it expiring before the draw will make my entry ineligible? It appears that it only has to be valid as of the submission date?