• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi mom, Sorry to bother you again. I took my medical examination before October and the I-693 was last version, I asked the Doctor to print it out again in the new version but Influenza is still marked "not Flu Season". Does it hurt the form and should I make it now despite the fact the date of signature in for before October?
I think I should not have changed the form. Is it alright if the date of civil signature is befor the date of form revision?

You are submitting your AOS package during flu season, so I believe your medical exam should include the flu shot. Looks like you rushed to complete the medical exam long before your CN became current - one of the reasons I suggest people wait before completing the medical is to avoid complications such as this. Anyway I don’t know if it will be an issue or not, you make the call on what to do.

Hi Mom,
I wonder if we can use PO BOX address as the mailing address in the form I 485?
There is also a mailing or safe address, which I do not know if I should put the PO BOX address there.
I look forward for your guidance.
Thank you!

You are required to provide your actual home address in section 13 itself. You may list a P.B. Box in section 14 if you wish. The instructions for that section says:
Alternate and/or Safe Address.
If you are filing an adjustment of status application based on VAWA or as a special immigrant juvenile, human trafficking victim (T nonimmigrant), or crime victim (U nonimmigrant) and you do not feel safe receiving mail about this application at your home address, provide an alternative, safe mailing address in Part 1., Item Numbers 14.a. - 14.f.

I have a couple of questions about filing I-485
I have read most of the pages in this forum but I could not find them
1- Do I have any A Number? (I am in F1 visa)
2- should I fill all the questions that are not related to me wit "N/A" even for "Interpreters" which I do not have?
As the instruction said, there should not be any blank spot

1. You wouldn’t have an A# if you’ve never applied for any form of immigration benefit from USCIS in the past.

2. Again this calls for discretion. The interpreter’s section should be left blank. On the other hand, section such as children’s information should contain N/A if you have no kids.

Yes, this document seems like newer one then I referred to, I referred to the following doc, at the end it has QA about non-immigrant status and TPS:

"syriaTPS-USCIS-FAQ.pdf" (search by the keyword, it doesn't allow to put link)

Now, looking at the new memo I am a bit concerned about our AOS, Lawyer we consulted at that time also mentioned it is ok to maintain two status and work. But new memo seems to be strict about using TPS EAD for non immigrant status. One of my friend recently received employment based Green Card, but he was only on TPS. I wanted to consult lawyers about this but they are pretty much divided, and we went with my wifes company lawyer suggestion.

I have a few questions that concerns me:

1) Since my wife is on TPS (we have mentioned status as h4 on I485 application, but also provided copy of TPS EAD ). Will this stop adjusting status only based on non immigrant status (working on h4)?

2) I am the prinicipal applicant and am in H1B. If situation gets against our favour in (1) then does it affect both or only one ?

Thanks SusieQQQ for pointing me to the document. We will keep on posting our case, we are currently waiting for interview letter

1. I can’t categorically say if your wife’s AOS petition will be denied or not based on this. The IO has the final say.

2. Your wife’s petition decision will not impact yours since you’re the main selectee / primary petitioner.

You are submitting your AOS package during flu season, so I believe your medical exam should include the flu shot. Looks like you rushed to complete the medical exam long before your CN became current - one of the reasons I suggest people wait before completing the medical is to avoid complications such as this. Anyway I don’t know if it will be an issue or not, you make the call on what to do.

Last edited:
Hello,

First of all - THANK YOU so much for the spreadsheet! You have no idea how much it helped me!

Now, I do have couple of questions and I hope I'll get lucky to get them answered here:
1. I'm currently on F1 Visa on OPT; I have my EAD card and I'm employed full-time. The EAD card expired May 31, 2018. Do I need to submit for I-765 and ask USCIS to renew my EAD card?
2. I've heard that now you have to have a lawyer with you for an interview - is this true? Do I need to get a lawyer to attend the interview with me? (please say no - lol)
3. Finally, when filing the required forms and documentation can you help me with the order:
- Pay $1225 online
- File paperwork
or
- File paperwork
- Pay $1225 online

Thanks!

Hello,

First of all - THANK YOU so much for the spreadsheet! You have no idea how much it helped me!

Now, I do have couple of questions and I hope I'll get lucky to get them answered here:
1. I'm currently on F1 Visa on OPT; I have my EAD card and I'm employed full-time. The EAD card expired May 31, 2018. Do I need to submit for I-765 and ask USCIS to renew my EAD card?
2. I've heard that now you have to have a lawyer with you for an interview - is this true? Do I need to get a lawyer to attend the interview with me? (please say no - lol)
3. Finally, when filing the required forms and documentation can you help me with the order:
- Pay $1225 online
- File paperwork
or
- File paperwork
- Pay $1225 online

Thanks!

1. If you want an AOS based EAD card, you need to submit form I-765 with your AOS package, and select ‘New’ as the filing option.

2. Not true.

3. I’m glad you find the AOS process spreadsheet useful, however it looks like you’re not quite paying enough attention to it. The spreadsheet does not say anything about online payment.

Hello everybody,
I have received an invite for the interview today and it has one line that perplexes me. It says to bring translations of all foreign documents and that the translations must be certified as complete and accurate. So far it is expected and reasonable. But the next sentence reads: Use certified translators only.

I did all my translations myself since I am well proficient in both languages and I certified them by writing a statement saying that and signing. It worked before for visa applications. Even if I have someone other than myself translate and certify I am not sure who would qualify as a certified translator. I called USCIS but they just repeated the part about certified translation and were of no help regarding certified translator.

I couldn't find anything related on the forum, is this a new thing by USCIS? Do you think it's their odd way of saying "don't use google translate" or the matter is important and needs to be addressed. Any idea what translator certifications would be recognized by USCIS.

Thank you
Hello Rex.

Please tell us about your interview experience.

Thanks

Thank you. I just have my last question about Medical. Is it valid one year after signed date or the experiments date?

Hi mom and everyone,
I am on F2 and primary DV applicant.
I went through the I-485 form. I found it was a good exercise to familiarize myself with its requirements even if my CN (AF29xxx)seems still far ahead. It raised the following questions:
1.a I have a master's degree from a US university, for which I came on F1 visa 12 years ago. Do I still need to provide my High school degree from my home country?
1.b. would the bachelor's degree from my home country serve in lieu of High school degree?
1.c. As far as I could see, there was no requirement for translation into English. is it obvious that it has to be translated?
1.d. does the birth certificate need to be translated?
2.a. I am a financial analyst by experience (10 years, overseas) and qualification (CFA) (not currently working because on F2). I have a certificate of employment from my previous employers (in english). I am not sure what does USCIS/DOS mean by "work experience requiring at least 2 years of formal training". Based on job posts a financial analyst job almost always requires a bachelor's degree. Does it satisfy their requirement of "formal training"?
2.b. if the work experience satisfies their requirement, can I opt for not providing evidence of Education? or is it that you have to provide both if they apply?
3. being on F2, I cannot work. I accompanied my wife to the US so that she finishes her Master's. My primary occupation is to take care of our son (US citizen, born at the time when I was F1 student), his homework, school pick up and drop-off, making dinner, etc. On the side, I am taking online, non-degree courses (coursera,edX, Kaplan, cfa institute, etc.). Under primary occupation (DS-260), I am inclined to put "Homemaker". is it correct? or should it be simply "Unemployed"?
Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
3. I’m glad you find the AOS process spreadsheet useful, however it looks like you’re not quite paying enough attention to it. The spreadsheet does not say anything about online payment.

Hey Mom,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I realize there is no online payment mentioned in the spreadsheet, but I am sure that I've read on USCIS website that you can pay the AOS fee ($1,225) online. Never mind, I'll just attach the check with my documents.

One more question. I've found G-325 form online (biographic info) and I was wondering if it's something that I need to attach with other identification documents? (I know it's not on the spreadsheet).

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

Hey Mom,

I realize there is no online payment mentioned in the spreadsheet, but I am sure that I've read on USCIS website that you can pay the AOS fee ($1,225) online. Never mind, I'll just attach the check with my documents.

One more question. I've found G-325 form online (biographic info) and I was wondering if it's something that I need to attach with other identification documents? (I know it's not on the spreadsheet).

Thanks! Happy Holidays!
USCIS lets you pay the fees of a few forms online but I-485 is not one of them.

Form G-325 is no longer needed because the questions about biographic info are incorporated into the new I-485.

Hi mom and everyone,
I am on F2 and primary DV applicant.
I went through the I-485 form. I found it was a good exercise to familiarize myself with its requirements even if my CN (AF29xxx)seems still far ahead. It raised the following questions:
1.a I have a master's degree from a US university, for which I came on F1 visa 12 years ago. Do I still need to provide my High school degree from my home country?
1.b. would the bachelor's degree from my home country serve in lieu of High school degree?
1.c. As far as I could see, there was no requirement for translation into English. is it obvious that it has to be translated?
1.d. does the birth certificate need to be translated?
2.a. I am a financial analyst by experience (10 years, overseas) and qualification (CFA) (not currently working because on F2). I have a certificate of employment from my previous employers (in english). I am not sure what does USCIS/DOS mean by "work experience requiring at least 2 years of formal training". Based on job posts a financial analyst job almost always requires a bachelor's degree. Does it satisfy their requirement of "formal training"?
2.b. if the work experience satisfies their requirement, can I opt for not providing evidence of Education? or is it that you have to provide both if they apply?
3. being on F2, I cannot work. I accompanied my wife to the US so that she finishes her Master's. My primary occupation is to take care of our son (US citizen, born at the time when I was F1 student), his homework, school pick up and drop-off, making dinner, etc. On the side, I am taking online, non-degree courses (coursera,edX, Kaplan, cfa institute, etc.). Under primary occupation (DS-260), I am inclined to put "Homemaker". is it correct? or should it be simply "Unemployed"?
Thanks for taking the time.

1a. Yes
1b. Presenting the HS diploma in addition to whatever other degree you have is highly recommend.
1c & 1d:
All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See 8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

2a. Yes
2b. No you cannot opt to not provide educational information on the I-485.
3. Doesn’t matter, makes no difference.

Hey Mom,

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

1. The online AOS fee payment you read about (from some other immigration forum, I’m assuming) is related to Affidavit of Support, NOT Adjustment of Status fee.

2. Form G-325 is no longer required. It is now included as part of the I-485 which is why it is not listed on the AOS process spreadsheet.

Hi Mom! @Sm1smom

Today I received an email from KCC that USCIS has requested my DV case file and also they wrote:

KCC has received payment of $330.00 for your case file. You have a case size of 2. Please send the remaining payment or provide a written statement to KCC explaining why the additional family member(s) will not be adjusting their status. Please include PA Name, Case number, and Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY) with your correspondence.

FYI: $330 payment for myself was made in July. In AOS Form to the question if my husband is adjusting his status with me the answer was "no" (the reason is: my husband is not eligible to adjust his status, because he's out of status)

Do I have to send them an explanation or is it unnecessary, because I can explain it during the interview ? or do I have to send them an explanation letter asap because they might hold my case until they receive an explanation letter and only then send it to USCIS? Please advise!

1a. Yes
1b. Presenting the HS diploma in addition to whatever other degree you have is highly recommend.
1c & 1d:
All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See 8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

2a. Yes
2b. No you cannot opt to not provide educational information on the I-485.
3. Doesn’t matter, makes no difference.
Thank you

Hi Mom! @Sm1smom

Today I received an email from KCC that USCIS has requested my DV case file and also they wrote:

KCC has received payment of $330.00 for your case file. You have a case size of 2. Please send the remaining payment or provide a written statement to KCC explaining why the additional family member(s) will not be adjusting their status. Please include PA Name, Case number, and Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY) with your correspondence.

FYI: $330 payment for myself was made in July. In AOS Form to the question if my husband is adjusting his status with me the answer was "no" (the reason is: my husband is not eligible to adjust his status, because he's out of status)

Do I have to send them an explanation or is it unnecessary, because I can explain it during the interview ? or do I have to send them an explanation letter asap because they might hold my case until they receive an explanation letter and only then send it to USCIS? Please advise!

You need to respond to KCC or they will not forward your case file to your FO.

Hi! My husband and I are in the US currently on e3 and e3d respectively. He won this years lottery with a case number OC000004**which will become available in Jan.

We were just about to lodge ds260 when I came across the 90 day rule! :/ our issue is we just arrived back in the states on dec 13th from a quick vacation overseas.

How strict is this 90 day policy ? I have heard of people in the past not abiding by this rule and being fine but is it not worth taking the risk?

So, If we wait 90 days we can lodge the ds260 on march 13th is this our only option, to play the waiting game?

Our current visas are up on August 14th -do you think we have a safe amount of time to complete the GC process before this date if we don't send ds260 off until March :/

Thank you in advance for your advice!! :)