• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi,

Thank you so much for setting up this forum. Your spreadsheet is extremely helpful. I won the 2017 lottery and I am planning to do AOS. I already the $380 diversity fee visa. I am currently on h1b with 2 years left on it, The major issue is that at the end of last week, I was laid off and informed that my last day would be the end of this month. Therefore I have one month to find a new job before I am out of status. Based on last year's numbers, my DV number probably won't be posted until January. So what are my options at this point in case I don't find a new job by September 30th? Adjust to B1/B2 visa in order to remain in status and then what do I do when I get another job?

In order to be eligible to file AOS, you need to be in legal status at least as at the time of the AOS package being formally received by USCIS. With the way things are looking for you right now, you might be better off processing CP. I typically do not get into what someone can or should do such as undergoing a COS in order to remain and be eligible for AOS later on. You may want to have a discussion with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

Ok thank you for you help. In that case, would I have to pay the DV fee again? Given that I paid it here under the presumption that I would be filing AOS?

Unfortunately if you go the CP route, you will have to pay the $330 DV administrative fee again at the embassy when you do go for the interview. The embassies collect the payments in person, it does not get transferred. This is one of the reasons I always tell selectees processing AOS to not rush into making the $330 DV administrative fee payment.

How does one proceed when they change their US home address during the AoS process? I'm an F1 student. I won't submit the AoS forms until November because of the 30-60-90 days rule, and I may have to move to a different address (in the same town) as early as May 2017. I'm crossing my fingers the process would be done by then, but we all know, based on the experiences of people who post here, that there's a good chance it won't. Would putting a work address (i.e. my mailbox in the department I belong to at the university) in the AoS forms be an acceptable alternative?

AFAIK, one is required to list a home address on I-485 form, not a work address. However, since you're a student with no permanent home address in the US, you may be able to get away with using your school departmental address.

One document we need is high school diploma. What if we have bachelor and master degree? Is it necessary to have high school certificate?

In form I485 there is a part for expiration date of current status.
I'm a student with F1 visa. My visa is expired but my I20 is still available. Which date ahould be mentioned? Visa expiration date or I20?

Thanks

AFAIK, one is required to list a home address on I-485 form, not a work address. However, since you're a student with no permanent home address in the US, you may be able to get away with using your school departmental address.

And if I end up going with my home address, what difficulties would arise once I move to a new address (in the same town) and the AoS process isn't finished? Is there a way to tell the FO to update the address?

In form I485 there is a part for expiration date of current status.
I'm a student with F1 visa. My visa is expired but my I20 is still available. Which date ahould be mentioned? Visa expiration date or I20?

Thanks

The date on either your I-20 or I-94, which ever is the longest date.

And if I end up going with my home address, what difficulties would arise once I move to a new address (in the same town) and the AoS process isn't finished? Is there a way to tell the FO to update the address?

Possibility of not getting the notifications/mails USCIS sends you. Yes you may be able to tell the IO at the time of your interview of your new address, but that's assuming you would have received the IL which gets sent to the listed address on the I-485 form.

Hello,

I am filling out my form I-131 Applicant for Travel Document to submit with my package as I have a trip schedules to Australia (my home country) early next year.
I am from Australia, currently here on an E3R visa (I renewed my E3 in June) and filing for AOS in October.
In part 1. section 6 "Class of Admission" what do I write? I do not yet have my green card so I am unsure if it should be DV-1 or is it related to my E3R?

In part 4 section 1A "Purpose of trip" can I just write "To visit my family"? or do I need to have a more important reason to travel?

Thank you!

Hello,

I am filling out my form I-131 Applicant for Travel Document to submit with my package as I have a trip schedules to Australia (my home country) early next year.
I am from Australia, currently here on an E3R visa (I renewed my E3 in June) and filing for AOS in October.
In part 1. section 6 "Class of Admission" what do I write? I do not yet have my green card so I am unsure if it should be DV-1 or is it related to my E3R?

In part 4 section 1A "Purpose of trip" can I just write "To visit my family"? or do I need to have a more important reason to travel?

Thank you!
Line 6 (Class Of Admission) refers to your current admission status. For the I-131 it is best practice to add an attachment to the form (Part 7) itself in which you explain the reason you qualify for Advance Parole. As far as 'purpose of trip' is concerned, something along the lines of 'I should like to travel during this time to visit family' will be fine. You also need to include 'date of intended departure' and 'expected length of trip' (Part 3). Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you!

Class of Admission - E3

"To visit family" is good enough.

Bear in mind when you return, you're being paroled into the US, and if for any reason your AOS petition gets denied you will not be able to revert back to your current E3 status.

Hi,
I received my acceptance letter for joining one of the US Universities, PhD program (My admission is for January 2017 Semester). So, I continued the process of applying for F1 visa and booked an interview appointment for 22th September 2016. But, two days ago I noticed that I won the Lottery.
Now, I do not know if it is possible to continue both processes or I must cancel my interview appointment for F1 visa.

Does one of these two processes have any impact on the other one? one of them Could jeopardize the other one?

Hi,
I received my acceptance letter for joining one of the US Universities, PhD program (My admission is for January 2017 Semester). So, I continued the process of applying for F1 visa and booked an interview appointment for 22th September 2016. But, two days ago I noticed that I won the Lottery.
Now, I do not know if it is possible to continue both processes or I must cancel my interview appointment for F1 visa.

Does one of these two processes have any impact on the other one? one of them Could jeopardize the other one?

You may continue with both, they may ask you about the DV lottery selection at the time of the F1 visa interview, you will of course have to tell them the truth because they already know. You will still be expected to show strong ties to your home country and demonstrate you plan on returning at the end of your studies though.

What you really have to decide on is whether you plan on processing AOS or CP for your DV selection.

Hello,

I noticed that on the forms and documents spreadsheet it's recommended that I submit a I-797 Notice of Action form. What exactly is that and is it really necessary? I am currently an F-1 student in the US. Thank you for your help.

Hello,

I noticed that on the forms and documents spreadsheet it's recommended that I submit a I-797 Notice of Action form. What exactly is that and is it really necessary? I am currently an F-1 student in the US. Thank you for your help.

The spreadsheet says "if applicable". The fact that you don't know what this document is means it's not applicable in your case. Yes it is 'really necessary' for those whom it is applicable to. It's sort of like a receipt from USCIS.

Ahhhh!!! OMG!! My number is already current!! I'm SUPER excited and nerviuos now!!! Yiiii

NOVEMBER:

AFRICA 13,500 Except:
Egypt: 7,500
Ethiopia: 7,500
ASIA 3,000 Except:
Nepal: 2,000
EUROPE 13,000
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 3
OCEANIA 475
SOUTH AMERICA,
and the CARIBBEAN 575

The spreadsheet says "if applicable". The fact that you don't know what this document is means it's not applicable in your case. Yes it is 'really necessary' for those whom it is applicable to. It's sort of like a receipt from USCIS.
I am F1 visa holder and I have I 797. The university sent me after paying the SEVIS fee.

Hi,

When I applied to F1 visa we had a workshop at Fullbright commission with a visa officer. One student ask this question about entering to DV visa and winning it would impact on F1 visa. Officer said DV lottery has no bearing on F1 visa and they would not reject F1 visa because of DV winning. In fact he said if such question asked by another officer tell him that you like to take part in lotteries and you happened to took part in DV lottery. Now this is back in 2009 and that student got F1 visa and successfully processed the AOS case upon entering to US.