• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Does It mean that if someone gets up under AP, they don't invite to interview until clearance of AP?(In other words, will the petition be approved before interview? or after interview?)
Moreover, Is it possible that someone gets up under AP only based on their nationality?

Please settle down as you read the responses you've been provided with to better understand the process.

If someone is on AP, their petition cannot be approved until that person clears AP. I've said this over and over, I'm getting tired of repeating myself!

It's possible to be invited for an interview while the background check is still pending. Some FOs schedule interview with a pending background check, and some don't.

There are various/numerous reasons that can lead to being on AP. Yes, a person's nationality in addition to some other factors may lead to AP.

Another question: if my waiver does not get approved by the time my number is current (October), can I send the package later on when I receive the waiver? I already submitted by DS 260 form during the first week of May and received the 1st letter. Thank you!

Another question: if my waiver does not get approved by the time my number is current (October), can I send the package later on when I receive the waiver? I already submitted by DS 260 form during the first week of May and received the 1st letter. Thank you!

Yes, the AOS package can always be sent later, that's not a problem.

Hi everyone,

I had a question about the AoS package that I have to put together when applying for a GC.

1) Do I need to include my DS2019 forms in the package? The spreadsheet in the beginning of this spread only talks about the I-20 form.
2) In the same spreadsheet in the beginning of this thread it mentions the "DV lottery winner letter (the letter with barcode sheet). However, only the filled out DS260 has a barcode. The DV lottery letter (entrant status check) doesn't. Which one is it now?

cheers

Hi everyone,

I had a question about the AoS package that I have to put together when applying for a GC.

1) Do I need to include my DS2019 forms in the package? The spreadsheet in the beginning of this spread only talks about the I-20 form.
2) In the same spreadsheet in the beginning of this thread it mentions the "DV lottery winner letter (the letter with barcode sheet). However, only the filled out DS260 has a barcode. The DV lottery letter (entrant status check) doesn't. Which one is it now?

cheers

1. The DS form isn't required as part of the AOS package, so it's not listed on the spreadsheet.

2. The 1NL no longer displays the barcode like it did in the past, so don't worry about the letter not displaying the barcode. (The spreadsheet will be updated momentarily to reflect this).

Hi,

In the spreadsheet it advises not to rush into making $300 DV payment if you have a high CN. My CN number is AS6xxx and it should be current around May/June next year. Does that mean I need to wait till my number becomes current (May or June) to make the payment? or If I am certain that it'll become current before september 2017 then can I make the payment just after I receive 2NL?

I am from Iran which is in Asia,My Visa Is F1, My case number is under 700 and I submitted my Ds-260 on May 12th 2016. I still have not received my second Letter (email). Is there anyone that can help me I do not know what wrong is with my case?
It is almost 2 months and half that I submitted 260 form and I am concering about that. My interview normally should be held in October and I still have not get the second letter.
Thank you in advance

I am from Iran which is in Asia,My Visa Is F1, My case number is under 700 and I submitted my Ds-260 on May 12th 2016. I still have not received my second Letter (email). Is there anyone that can help me I do not know what wrong is with my case?
It is almost 2 months and half that I submitted 260 form and I am concering about that. My interview normally should be held in October and I still have not get the second letter.
Thank you in advance

You can help yourself by understanding how you are supposed to process your case via adjustment of status. Go to the first post in this thread and click on the link to the spreadsheet. Read it. Pay special attention to the AOS process and timelines.

Hi,

In the spreadsheet it advises not to rush into making $300 DV payment if you have a high CN. My CN number is AS6xxx and it should be current around May/June next year. Does that mean I need to wait till my number becomes current (May or June) to make the payment? or If I am certain that it'll become current before september 2017 then can I make the payment just after I receive 2NL?

No it doesn't mean you must wait for your number to become current before making the payment.

It however means it's your call as to when you feel comfortable enough to make the payment. You may go ahead and make the payment now if you're certain of your CN becoming current, or you may decide to wait a while and watch the CN progression before making the payment. Just be sure to give yourself enough time to get back the receipt before sending in your AOS package.

Thank you in advance

None receipt or delay in receiving the NL for AOS is no indication something is wrong with your case. It's possible it already got sent and went into your spam box, or KCC is yet to get to your form.

Like Simon said above, be sure to go through the AOS process spreadsheet if you haven't done so already to ensure you know what the process involves.

No it doesn't mean you must wait for your number to become current before making the payment.

It however means it's your call as to when you feel comfortable enough to make the payment. You may go ahead and make the payment now if you're certain of your CN becoming current, or you may decide to wait a while and watch the CN progression before making the payment. Just be sure to give yourself enough time to get back the receipt before sending in your AOS package.

Thanks @Sm1smom

You can help yourself by understanding how you are supposed to process your case via adjustment of status. Go to the first post in this thread and click on the link to the spreadsheet. Read it. Pay special attention to the AOS process and timelines.
I already read that but My concern is delay in receiveing the second letter. Why some letters yo be sent late? Is there anything wrong? Can I do the money order even though I have not got my Second Letter?

Thank you, would you please help me to find the soreadsheet? I could not find it I am new to this forum.

Thank you, would you please help me to find the soreadsheet? I could not find it I am new to this forum.

But you just responded to Simon's post above ^^ that you've gone over the spreadsheet. :rolleyes:

To find the spreadsheet, you back to Simon's post and do what he recommended.

Hi, I asked some questions before.
Really appreciates for your kindness answering all my questions.
Thank you.

I’m in US with my OPT visa right now, but I just work as a volunteer at the legal service center.

My parents have some healthy problems, so originally I want to go back to my country for them and prepare all the documents for AOS.

However, I’m afraid that I cannot get in US if the custom does not render the volunteer qualified as a job under OPT. Then I will be refused to get in US.

That’s the reason why now I want to choose AOS here.

My number is 1XX.

I think it will be current in Oct., and my husband will apply for it with me.

I have some questions regarding the process of AOS here.

1. I have not sent out my DS260 form since I have the concerns as what I described above. I’ll send them out as soon as possible, but I’m wondering whether I can process my payment and send out my package even if I have not received the 2NL from KCC for confirming my choice of AOS when my number is current?

2. Can I send out my AOS package before my number is current? I saw the timeline spreadsheet DV2016 that some of them sent out the package in Sep..

3. I’ll apply Advance Parole(AP) with my application at the same time. Is it correct that once I get my AP, then I can go back to my country and re-enter US with AP?

4. I have applied the EAD card with my OPT visa now. Do I have to file I-765 again when I apply for AOS?

5. If I re-enter US by AP, what will my visa status be after that? still OPT? My husband is under F1 now, and I’m OPT (F1) as well. I’m wondering what the visa status will be if we re-enter US with AP. Will it void our F1 visas?

6. Regarding the qualification for DV selectee, I have my bachelor and master certificates here, but I don’t have high school diploma. Do I have to get one in case that they don’t accept my higher education diplomas?

7. There is military service in my country. According to the website of U.S. Visas, it requires to prepare the military record and police record, but these documents are not included in the spreadsheet. Do we have to send them in the package? or just bring them to interview?

8. Regarding the financial statement, can I just use my US bank statement? or I have to present my bank in my country as well? Besides, will it have the negative impact if I don’t have a job here?

Really appreciates for your assistance!!

Hi, I asked some questions before.
Really appreciates for your kindness answering all my questions.
Thank you.

I’m in US with my OPT visa right now, but I just work as a volunteer at the legal service center.

My parents have some healthy problems, so originally I want to go back to my country for them and prepare all the documents for AOS.

However, I’m afraid that I cannot get in US if the custom does not render the volunteer qualified as a job under OPT. Then I will be refused to get in US.

That’s the reason why now I want to choose AOS here.

My number is 1XX.

I think it will be current in Oct., and my husband will apply for it with me.

I have some questions regarding the process of AOS here.

1. I have not sent out my DS260 form since I have the concerns as what I described above. I’ll send them out as soon as possible, but I’m wondering whether I can process my payment and send out my package even if I have not received the 2NL from KCC for confirming my choice of AOS when my number is current?

2. Can I send out my AOS package before my number is current? I saw the timeline spreadsheet DV2016 that some of them sent out the package in Sep..

3. I’ll apply Advance Parole(AP) with my application at the same time. Is it correct that once I get my AP, then I can go back to my country and re-enter US with AP?

4. I have applied the EAD card with my OPT visa now. Do I have to file I-765 again when I apply for AOS?

5. If I re-enter US by AP, what will my visa status be after that? still OPT? My husband is under F1 now, and I’m OPT (F1) as well. I’m wondering what the visa status will be if we re-enter US with AP. Will it void our F1 visas?

6. Regarding the qualification for DV selectee, I have my bachelor and master certificates here, but I don’t have high school diploma. Do I have to get one in case that they don’t accept my higher education diplomas?

7. There is military service in my country. According to the website of U.S. Visas, it requires to prepare the military record and police record, but these documents are not included in the spreadsheet. Do we have to send them in the package? or just bring them to interview?

8. Regarding the financial statement, can I just use my US bank statement? or I have to present my bank in my country as well? Besides, will it have the negative impact if I don’t have a job here?

Really appreciates for your assistance!!

1. Yes.

2. Yes you can. However be aware there's a possibility of denial. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet linked to the first post on page one of this Thread for further guidance. (I previously referred you to the spreadsheet).

3. Yes that's correct. You also need to be aware that re-admission is not automatic simply because you have an AP card. One could still be denied admission even with an AP card. The purpose of the AP card is to prevent your AOS petition from being considered abandoned if one travels out before the petition gets adjudicated - it is not an automatic re-admission card.

4. If you like/want. You're eligible to apply. One thing to be aware is the fact that using an AOS based EAD card invalidates your OPT status and puts you in what's know as 'adjustment pending' status.

5. 'Adjustment pending' status, like 4 above. And when you're in an adjustment pending status and your AOS petition gets denied for whatever reason, you guys will automatically become out of status. You will not be able to revert back to your OPT/F1 status.

6. Try your best to get the HS diploma. Some IOs have been known to have insisted on seeing it.

7. PCC is not required for AOS. The military record will be required. Should be included with the AOS package.

8. US bank statements only, provided you have enough savings to show you will not become a public charge. Otherwise get someone to fill out an I-134 for you.

You stated you're on OPT and you're not in a paid employment but volunteering at a legal service center - is that you're doing related to your field of study. Volunteering in place of a paid job with OPT could be a bit dicey - you may be required to present evidence this is not in violation of any labor law. I suggest you start looking for a paid position (related to your field of study) real fast just to ensure you're not setting yourself up for the possibility of a denial on a technicality of labor law violation or being out of status which makes you ineligible to file AOS.

I already read that but My concern is delay in receiveing the second letter. Why some letters yo be sent late? Is there anything wrong? Can I do the money order even though I have not got my Second Letter?

If you HAD read the spreadsheet you would know the answer. So READ IT.

1. Yes.

2. Yes you can. However be aware there's a possibility of denial. Go through the AOS process spreadsheet linked to the first post on page one of this Thread for further guidance. (I previously referred you to the spreadsheet).

3. Yes that's correct. You also need to be aware that re-admission is not automatic simply because you have an AP card. One could still be denied admission even with an AP card. The purpose of the AP card is to prevent your AOS petition from being considered abandoned if one travels out before the petition gets adjudicated - it is not an automatic re-admission card.

4. If you like/want. You're eligible to apply. One thing to be aware is the fact that using an AOS based EAD card invalidates your OPT status and puts you in what's know as 'adjustment pending' status.

5. 'Adjustment pending' status, like 4 above. And when you're in an adjustment pending status and your AOS petition gets denied for whatever reason, you guys will automatically become out of status. You will not be able to revert back to your OPT/F1 status.

6. Try your best to get the HS diploma. Some IOs have been known to have insisted on seeing it.

7. PCC is not required for AOS. The military record will be required. Should be included with the AOS package.

8. US bank statements only, provided you have enough savings to show you will not become a public charge. Otherwise get someone to fill out an I-134 for you.

You stated you're on OPT and you're not in a paid employment but volunteering at a legal service center - is that you're doing related to your field of study. Volunteering in place of a paid job with OPT could be a bit dicey - you may be required to present evidence this is not in violation of any labor law. I suggest you start looking for a paid position (related to your field of study) real fast just to ensure you're not setting yourself up for the possibility of a denial on a technicality of labor law violation or being out of status which makes you ineligible to file AOS.

Really thanks for your detailed information.
I graduated from law school in US, and I participated in the volunteer program at Women's Resources Center which provides assistance to women.
They provide training for volunteers who want to participate in this program, and it is not a paid job.
Will it be possible in violation of labor law?
At the mean time, I'm looking for jobs related to my field of study as well.
Appreciates for your information!!

Really thanks for your detailed information.
I graduated from law school in US, and I participated in the volunteer program at Women's Resources Center which provides assistance to women.
They provide training for volunteers who want to participate in this program, and it is not a paid job.
Will it be possible in violation of labor law?
At the mean time, I'm looking for jobs related to my field of study as well.
Appreciates for your information!!

Sorry I can't provide any guidance as to whether what you're doing is in violation of labor laws or not. The best I can do is bring something like that to your attention, which is what I've done.