• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

If the interview is in Paris, they will quite probably ask for a AoS

I am Australian and my husband is French and speaks fluent English. We are both successful in our fields and have solid savings and own an apartment on top of that, will that make a difference?

Hi All,

One more question...

I received an email from the Sydney Consulate this morning confirming my appointment time, in the email they stated the following:

"Please immediately email our office to confirm if you can “attend” or if you wish to “cancel”."

The only issue is that the email was sent from 'DoNotReply_syd@state.gov'; who do I reply to? I checked my 2NL and thoroughly read this email but couldn't see an email address I could use to contact the Sydney Consulate - does anyone have their email address?

Ben

Folks,

Does anyone know if there is an issue in regard to replacing a passport prior to interview? Replacement is not a necessity as such, but would provide more flexibility in regard to travel times should something unexpected occur and my planned entry to the US be delayed. Thank you.

Hi All,

One more question...

I received an email from the Sydney Consulate this morning confirming my appointment time, in the email they stated the following:

"Please immediately email our office to confirm if you can “attend” or if you wish to “cancel”."

The only issue is that the email was sent from 'DoNotReply_syd@state.gov'; who do I reply to? I checked my 2NL and thoroughly read this email but couldn't see an email address I could use to contact the Sydney Consulate - does anyone have their email address?

Ben

Hi Ben. I did as EmilyW suggests a couple of days ago and received a lovely "Thank You" reply from the Consulate the next day. EmilyW even predicted with 100% accuracy the response I would get :). If nothing else its good to have the confirmation of the interview time. One less thing to stress about.....

I am Australian and my husband is French and speaks fluent English. We are both successful in our fields and have solid savings and own an apartment on top of that, will that make a difference?

In most embassies yes it would. In Paris, they still might ask for the I-134.

Hi all

We have our interview in London tomorrow - bright and early at 8am. At this time of year it'll mean the sun is only just coming up (though we probably won't notice through all the cloud haha!) Keep flipping from being quite calm about everything and then super nervous for the same reason - everything seems relatively straightforward (especially after doing my UK visa at the end of last year!) But it has helped immensely hearing everyone's feedback on this forum so thank you. Looking forward to sharing our experience, which will hopefully be a positive one!

Hi all

We have our interview in London tomorrow - bright and early at 8am. At this time of year it'll mean the sun is only just coming up (though we probably won't notice through all the cloud haha!) Keep flipping from being quite calm about everything and then super nervous for the same reason - everything seems relatively straightforward (especially after doing my UK visa at the end of last year!) But it has helped immensely hearing everyone's feedback on this forum so thank you. Looking forward to sharing our experience, which will hopefully be a positive one!
Good luck. Positive vibes to you :)

Hi again. Thought I'd share our experience at the London embassy yesterday.

Interview was at 8am so rocked up at 7.15am (still dark!) to join the line. We started filtering through security at 7.30am and my husband and I were inside with our ticket by 7.45am. Now the waiting....

We sat watching the big screen with instructions, pictures of the US and the accompanying casual 'bing' sound as the numbers started popping up, for just over half an hour. We got to the first window at around 8.25am. Handed over the documents they needed, took our fingerprints, popped over to the next window to pay and then asked to sit back down.

We then waited. And waited some more. Everyone at the embassy was very friendly and everything was running very smoothly and efficiently. But there were a lot of people there. We were called back up around 10.15am. I had been relatively calm up until this time but as I sat and waited the anxiety kicked in and the adrenaline started pumping. By the time I got to the window and was asked to take the oath, my right hand was up in the air shaking like crazy!!! Maybe I shouldn't have had that early morning coffee.

We said our oath, took more fingerprints and answered some questions. They were in a very conversational tone but due to my nervousness, panicked when I couldn't remember who my high school mascot was (a follow on question to which high school I went to) and then after some bumbling ranting realised we didn't have a mascot. The CO was fine though and made a joke about Harry Potter instead. We then joked over my relatively useless arts degree (as I am now an Operations and HR manager). He took a long pause and said, "Well guys.....you're all approved." Way to draw to out!

So my husband and I are heading to the US. We just have to work out the whens and hows of it all.

Just wanted to note a couple of things. If anyone else is attending the London embassy, I would definitely make sure you take financial statements. They don't ask for it on the website but they asked us (and they asked friends of ours). We only had the last statement from our bank here and a statement of our savings in Australia (our bank only give an end of financial year statement so it was six months out of date. I also took a screenshot of the online banking to show the current balance). Also, they wanted to see 2 copies of our marriage certificate for each of us. I explained I only ever ordered one when we got married so only have the one and he let it go, but if you want to make sure you are not caught off guard, might be worth having a certified copy at least.

Well that's that. I hope this info helps someone else like everyone's input has helped me. It made the process truly easy, being able to read everyone's experience and suggestions, so thank you. We will be doing our activation trip to New York in April and then not sure but plan to be in the big apple by the end of the year.

Look forward to hearing of everyone else's successes!

Hey all,

I have my interview in Sydney next week, yay! Everything is prepared but two questions just for a final check lol

1. Both the Primary Applicant and Dependent checklists say you need a marriage certificate - but I presume I can provide just the one original for me and my wife?

2. You just pay the $330 DV fee at the consulate rather than beforehand?

I've been reading all the other stories recently of interviews, congrats to all who are now done!

1. The principal takes the marriage certificate and a copy. The spouse just takes a copy of the marriage certificate in their paperwork.

2. You pay the $330 at the consulate. They will call you up to pay.

You'll be fine. Just let us know when you get it so that we can celebrate Tuesdays again!

Folks,

Does anyone know if there is an issue in regard to replacing a passport prior to interview? Replacement is not a necessity as such, but would provide more flexibility in regard to travel times should something unexpected occur and my planned entry to the US be delayed. Thank you.

I'm a 2015 winner, and replaced my passport shortly before my interview (it had about six months left). I didn't update my DS-260 with the new number, I just brought both my new and old passports to my interview, and it was fine.

Ugh yeah I know, I really though it was all going to work out but I'll be out of the country during the appointment but I got in touch the second my 2NL came in, so fingers crossed it will all work out.

Well very happy to report I've been rescheduled for the 23rd of Feb thank goodness, it took quiet a few emails and phones calls but it's all sorted now! Just need to organise the last few things and get all my paperwork finished.

Well very happy to report I've been rescheduled for the 23rd of Feb thank goodness, it took quiet a few emails and phones calls but it's all sorted now! Just need to organise the last few things and get all my paperwork finished.

Wow that happened so fast! Awesome.

Getting excited woke up this morning to see VB and our number is current for March! Whoop whoop! Niw just got to wait for the interview date :)

We are down in Sydney for holidays for a few days so we are going to check out how to get to the embassy. Any recommendations for hotels close by? I vaguely remember someone talking about a travelodge?

Travelodge is cheap and close but we couldn't get a room there. We ended up at the Westin and that was beautiful. Five minutes walk to the embassy.

Lol @ 850 cut off for OC! This is all gonna be over in a month or two! Why on earth did KCC under select so much this year, or was it just a goof?

Haha. This is embarrassing, but I'm just now filing my DS-260 form (was foolishly waiting on a new Passport and the prediction that my number wouldn't be current till May-June), so it's not over for me. At the point where it says 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?' I guess I have to answer yes, even though in the past I just said No because I was given Diversion for a minor misdemeanor over ten years ago. I'm wondering if they even go this far in depth with the background check, and if I've kinda screwed myself by ignoring it in the past.

Haha. This is embarrassing, but I'm just now filing my DS-260 form (was foolishly waiting on a new Passport and the prediction that my number wouldn't be current till May-June), so it's not over for me. At the point where it says 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?' I guess I have to answer yes, even though in the past I just said No because I was given Diversion for a minor misdemeanor over ten years ago. I'm wondering if they even go this far in depth with the background check, and if I've kinda screwed myself by ignoring it in the past.

Hold on there tiger. Let's get some facts.

The diversion programs I know of mean that upon completing the diversion program the charge is dismissed. In that case you do not have a criminal conviction, but you have been arrested. You should provide information/evidence to the CO. Chances are, with an arrest (and no conviction) for a minor offence they will let that slide. They are a little tougher on crimes involving drugs - but they are able to decide how serious the crime is and see where it fits in to their "Crime of Moral Terpitude" definition.