• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi everyone just wanted to thank you all for the advice over the last few months. The interview was successful on Tuesday.

Just wondering how long does it normally take for them to post the passport back? Thanks again.

Less than a week for me.

If for any reason they raise the matter, just tell them that you bought it because it was cheaper - there are a number of airlines/routes which have cheaper return than one way fares, so they've probably seen this before.
Thank you!! Booking now :)

Oop another question. These flights have a 2 hour 20 minute layover in LAX. From experience, do you think that's enough time to get through immigration?

I've just booked flights too! I'm outta here on Feb 24. There's some decent one-way prices (around $730) to LA on Virgin Australia at the moment in late February if anyone else is making their POE at LAX around that time.

Oop another question. These flights have a 2 hour 20 minute layover in LAX. From experience, do you think that's enough time to get through immigration?

I wouldn't risk a layover that short. The initial flight could be delayed and/or you could spend a long time in a line. You'd also need to collect baggage and take it through customs and re-check it, and possibly change terminals. My advice is usually budget for 3-4 hours, rather 'risk' spending an hour surfing airport wifi than rushing around stressed trying to rebook a missed connection.

I'd go with Susie's advice. We had a Qantas connecting flight from LA to JFK and in the end had one hour between getting off the first flight, going through immigration and getting on the second (we didn't check in any luggage for our activation trip). And it was super stressful. We literally had to run from terminal to terminal and, while Qantas was happy to wait for us, it was hard work (particularly with two very tired kids in tow). We literally got on the JFK flight and completely crashed out asleep for the whole flight.

I am having my interview this Monday and feeling extremely apprehensive. :eek:

My wife is the Principal applicant and 2 kids (4 years and 2 years) + I are derivatives.

My documents are as follows: (All documents are in English)

1) Main Folder
- Passports for everyone + certified copy of biodata page
- 2 x 2 inch photo (4 copies each) for everyone
- Sealed medical envelope
- appointment letter
- printout of DS-260 application confirmation pages for everyone
- Marriage certificate + certified copy
- Birth certificates for everyone + certified copies
- DV application fees for everyone (in Fiji dollars cold hard cash)
- Year 12 original certificate for the Primary applicant + certified copy
- Degree/Diploma/Year 13 certificates for Primary applicant + certified copies
- Year 12 original certificate for the Derivative + certified copy
- Masters Degree/PostGraduate Diploma/Degree/Year 13 certificates for Derivative + certified copies

* The police clearance check will/has been sent direct to the embassy.

2) Supporting Documents Folder
Financial Evidence

- Original Superannuation balance statement for Wife and me (transactions for whole year) + copies.
- Original Savings and access bank account statements for Wife and me (transactions for whole year) + copies.
- Original Statement of account of our Life Insurance policy + copies.
- Original Copy of WILL made in my name by my late dad + copies.
- Original Latest payslip for Wife and me + copies.
In total, we can show evidence of FJD80K (approx. USD40K) cash with us right now.

Work/Employment Evidence
- Original Letter of employment for Wife and me showing our employment history for the past 7 years +copies.
- Resume
- Printout form O'NET of our current job in Fiji

Other Documents
- Original copy of course prescription (list of all courses done at Uni + course contents) for Wife and me + copies.
- Original copy of exam results at each grade from Primary to Year 13 + copies for Principal applicant.
- Copy of 2NL
- Copy of 1NL
- Copy of DS-260 form for everyone.

We never had any issue with Law, so there is no court and prison records
We were never divorced, so there are no marriage termination certificates
We were never deported from any country
We never had custody/adopted anyone
No military history

Am I missing anything?

I had checked with the local courier service used by the US embassy in Fiji and there is no need to carry a prepaid Express envelope - the cost of courier is included in the DV fees.

I have a slight concern about USTravelDocs website - the FAQ mentions to choose a delivery address for Passport/Visa but the website has no record of our interview appointment. The account on USTravelDocs was created a few months prior to us receiving our 2NL. I had wrote to the embassy too regarding this, but did not get a response on this query specifically.

My main folder and support folder are clear folders. Will I be allowed to carry this into the embassy?

My wife and I would be wearing business formal (no ties) while the kids would wear casual.

My two little cute monsters cannot sit still for a minute. I am worried about how we will last those hours waiting for the interview. Any parenting tips will be most appreciated :p

I am having my interview this Monday and feeling extremely apprehensive. :eek:

My wife is the Principal applicant and 2 kids (4 years and 2 years) + I are derivatives.

My documents are as follows: (All documents are in English)

1) Main Folder
- Passports for everyone + certified copy of biodata page
- 2 x 2 inch photo (4 copies each) for everyone
- Sealed medical envelope
- appointment letter
- printout of DS-260 application confirmation pages for everyone
- Marriage certificate + certified copy
- Birth certificates for everyone + certified copies
- DV application fees for everyone (in Fiji dollars cold hard cash)
- Year 12 original certificate for the Primary applicant + certified copy
- Degree/Diploma/Year 13 certificates for Primary applicant + certified copies
- Year 12 original certificate for the Derivative + certified copy
- Masters Degree/PostGraduate Diploma/Degree/Year 13 certificates for Derivative + certified copies

* The police clearance check will/has been sent direct to the embassy.

2) Supporting Documents Folder
Financial Evidence

- Original Superannuation balance statement for Wife and me (transactions for whole year) + copies.
- Original Savings and access bank account statements for Wife and me (transactions for whole year) + copies.
- Original Statement of account of our Life Insurance policy + copies.
- Original Copy of WILL made in my name by my late dad + copies.
- Original Latest payslip for Wife and me + copies.
In total, we can show evidence of FJD80K (approx. USD40K) cash with us right now.

Work/Employment Evidence
- Original Letter of employment for Wife and me showing our employment history for the past 7 years +copies.
- Resume
- Printout form O'NET of our current job in Fiji

Other Documents
- Original copy of course prescription (list of all courses done at Uni + course contents) for Wife and me + copies.
- Original copy of exam results at each grade from Primary to Year 13 + copies for Principal applicant.
- Copy of 2NL
- Copy of 1NL
- Copy of DS-260 form for everyone.

We never had any issue with Law, so there is no court and prison records
We were never divorced, so there are no marriage termination certificates
We were never deported from any country
We never had custody/adopted anyone
No military history

Am I missing anything?

I had checked with the local courier service used by the US embassy in Fiji and there is no need to carry a prepaid Express envelope - the cost of courier is included in the DV fees.

I have a slight concern about USTravelDocs website - the FAQ mentions to choose a delivery address for Passport/Visa but the website has no record of our interview appointment. The account on USTravelDocs was created a few months prior to us receiving our 2NL. I had wrote to the embassy too regarding this, but did not get a response on this query specifically.

My main folder and support folder are clear folders. Will I be allowed to carry this into the embassy?

My wife and I would be wearing business formal (no ties) while the kids would wear casual.

My two little cute monsters cannot sit still for a minute. I am worried about how we will last those hours waiting for the interview. Any parenting tips will be most appreciated :p

This is looking good LazyDoggie :)

Do you know if you are required to provided certified photocopies or if regular photocopies are sufficient? Seeing as they are sighting the originals at the time.

I don't know about the US Embassy in Fiji, but for the folks that have gone through the Sydney embassy they talk about a checklist that the embassy provides for each item to be ticked off? Someone that has been through US Fiji embassy might be able to verify whether you need this. (probably not - I think it might be an embassy specific thing).

I have kids too and understand the waiting and not sitting still! I wonder if you would be allowed to take in a colouring book with a few coloured pencils for the kidlets :)

You sound super organised - go get them!

This is looking good LazyDoggie :)

Do you know if you are required to provided certified photocopies or if regular photocopies are sufficient? Seeing as they are sighting the originals at the time.

I don't know about the US Embassy in Fiji, but for the folks that have gone through the Sydney embassy they talk about a checklist that the embassy provides for each item to be ticked off? Someone that has been through US Fiji embassy might be able to verify whether you need this. (probably not - I think it might be an embassy specific thing).

I have kids too and understand the waiting and not sitting still! I wonder if you would be allowed to take in a colouring book with a few coloured pencils for the kidlets :)

You sound super organised - go get them!

Thanks eskimo :)

Certified copies are definitely not required if originals are available - I did this for that extra peace of mind.

I used this guide on Dropbox kindly shared by @EmilyW to organize my documents, however, there is no specific list for Suva, as far as I know. DV winners from Fiji rarely register and post on this forum so yes, a bit difficult for me to know the embassy specific stuffs. But the mods and other members here share valuable nuggets of information - I have tried following their advise to the letter, so believe that everything is going to be alright... :)

Kids - yeah, I am wondering too if we are allowed books to keep them busy. My son is a techno-freak at age of 4 and cannot live without his tablet. I am not sure how he will handle a few hours without his favorite gadgets.

Thanks eskimo :)

Certified copies are definitely not required if originals are available - I did this for that extra peace of mind.

I used this guide on Dropbox kindly shared by @EmilyW to organize my documents, however, there is no specific list for Suva, as far as I know. DV winners from Fiji rarely register and post on this forum so yes, a bit difficult for me to know the embassy specific stuffs. But the mods and other members here share valuable nuggets of information - I have tried following their advise to the letter, so believe that everything is going to be alright... :)

Kids - yeah, I am wondering too if we are allowed books to keep them busy. My son is a techno-freak at age of 4 and cannot live without his tablet. I am not sure how he will handle a few hours without his favorite gadgets.

Thanks LazyDoggie :)

That's the list ! I think the Sydney embassy has been emailing out a list as well. If the Suva doesn't it is still good that you have followed the guide shared by EmilyW - I am sure that will help.

My kids (10 years and 4 years) both love the tech devices as well. I am really hoping we can take a book and also colouring/pencils or something in :)

Hopefully you won't be waiting too long as well!

Hi All,

Quick question(s)...

My number is within the February OC numbers but I was unsure about two things:
  1. How do you receive your 2NL? I created a USTravelDocs account, however, the site seems pretty useless. Will I get notification via my personal email? Or is there some hidden section within the USTravelDocs site I am missing??
  2. How long before my interview will I receive my 2NL? Given that my number is OC2016xxxxx65X and I submitted the DS260 on 9 May 2015, I'm hoping I will be one of the first interviews in February. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that notification should come within seven weeks of your interview, although I wasn't sure if that was correct.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

In Sydney, you can't take any gadgets in but books and pencils are fine. Both of mine took a book each in, a book both of them had been dying to start but I wouldn't let them. Once we were in the embassy, I finally handed the books over and they were silent the whole time. They even read during the interview.

@MelbourneBen, to answer your questions, you will get an email telling you to check the site where you found out if you had won the lottery. Check that site and you'll find that the letter has changed from the original congratulatory letter to a letter outlining your interview date and time.

You will get your 2NL two weeks after the VB is released. So towards the end of the month. Where you end up in terms of date and time depends. @CBDK had a lower CN than me but my interview ended up being before hers (albeit on the same day).