• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hello Mom how are you doing? I am about to send my AoS package and had couple questions.
-Do i need to include cover letter with my AoS package?
-I am an F1 student and applied for OPT. I was given new I-20 and received receipt letter from USCIS. Do i need to include new i-20 and the receipt in my AoS package?
-Does it hurt to send the package without I134 Affidavit of Support?
Thank you very much in advance

1. That's optional. Include it if it helps keep your mind at ease regarding your case.

2. Include copies of all.

3. The response to this isn't a simple yes or no. Usually, I'll encourage petitioners to provide as much documents as they possibly can with their submitted petition. For instance, if your FO happens to be one where they approve DV based AOS cases without an interview, including an affidavit of support in the case of someone who might be considered a public charge makes it easier to get one's case approved without the FO having to make an exception of asking the petitioner to show up for an interview. And in the case of where an interview is normally required, having a 'complete' package enables the IO to fully review the documents prior to the petitioner showing up for their interview. However, does it make sense to delay the package submission on the basis of still waiting or looking for a sponsor? No, I wouldn't advocate that.

@Pamuk,

By the way, my response regarding the link you provided wasn't an indictment directed at you. Your attempts at helping others by sharing the information you come across are certainly appreciated.

1. That's optional. Include it if it helps keep your mind at ease regarding your case.

2. Include copies of all.

3. The response to this isn't a simple yes or no. Usually, I'll encourage petitioners to provide as much documents as they possibly can with their submitted petition. For instance, if your FO happens to be one where they approve DV based AOS cases without an interview, including an affidavit of support in the case of someone who might be considered a public charge makes it easier to get one's case approved without the FO having to make an exception of asking the petitioner to show up for an interview. And in the case of where an interview is normally required, having a 'complete' package enables the IO to fully review the documents prior to the petitioner showing up for their interview. However, does it make sense to delay the package submission on the basis of still waiting or looking for a sponsor? No, I wouldn't advocate that.

Thank you very much Mom. I will send my package tomorrow. I just had a difficulty with the sponsor that is why i asked the question. I will go ahead and send the package without i-134 and by the interview time i will have it in hand to bring it with me. I think that would be ok right? Also i just graduated my school and applied for OPT and have a new i-20 and receipt I797C from USCIS. But since i just got done i dont have a diploma on hand yet nor letter of enrollment verification from school. Is that fine to send the package without these?

Including a cover letter is a personal choice, some use, some don't. Here's a link to a sample cover letter (should be modified accordingly):

https://goo.gl/jyQj8B
Thanks mom this is great, another question is $1070 check should I include 2 cheques one for my husband and other for my self or its just once check? I also want to know do I have to write 2 checks for each 985 and 85 separately or its 1 1070 check? I am going to include my paystubs in my package and my husbands paystubs in his package. Even though he is a derivative does more monthly income make sense or should I just include only my salary? Also since my husband is also under OPT should we send his degree and education qualifications with the package?

Thank you very much Mom. I will send my package tomorrow. I just had a difficulty with the sponsor that is why i asked the question. I will go ahead and send the package without i-134 and by the interview time i will have it in hand to bring it with me. I think that would be ok right? Also i just graduated my school and applied for OPT and have a new i-20 and receipt I797C from USCIS. But since i just got done i dont have a diploma on hand yet nor letter of enrollment verification from school. Is that fine to send the package without these?

Send what you have.

Thanks mom this is great, another question is $1070 check should I include 2 cheques one for my husband and other for my self or its just once check? I also want to know do I have to write 2 checks for each 985 and 85 separately or its 1 1070 check? I am going to include my paystubs in my package and my husbands paystubs in his package. Even though he is a derivative does more monthly income make sense or should I just include only my salary? Also since my husband is also under OPT should we send his degree and education qualifications with the package?

The cover letter I just provided you with clearly indicates sending a check of $1070 for each person over 14 years of age. However, nothing wrong with sending a single check either if you prefer to do that. The problem with sending a single check of $2,140 for instance to cover both of you is that if the lockbox decides the derivative petition is incomplete and decides to return it, both petitions will be returned together simply because there's a single check covering both.

Honestly speaking, this whole process is not rocket science. The AOS process spreadsheet has detailed information of who needs to send what, please follow the instructions on it.

Yes regarding the birth certificate.

Yes anyone can do the translation, as long as they certify they're fluent in both English and the language the document is being translated from - a professional translator isn't required. However, your parents or family members shouldn't do the translation, they have a vested interest (be it directly or indirectly) in your getting approved.

Thank you! May I also ask can the birth certificate be issued by the hospital instead of the municipal office?

The cover letter I just provided you with clearly indicates sending a check of $1070 for each person over 14 years of age. However, nothing wrong with sending a single check either if you prefer to do that. The problem with sending a single check of $2,140 for instance to cover both of you is that if the lockbox decides the derivative petition is incomplete and decides to return it, both petitions will be returned together simply because there's a single check covering both.

Honestly speaking, this whole process is not rocket science. The AOS process spreadsheet has detailed information of who needs to send what, please follow the instructions on it.
Thanks mom spreadsheet is of great help. It doesnt say to include financial documents of dependent (i.e. pay stubs). Will it do any harm if I include financial documents of my husband. What I hope from that is that way we can show we have more than enough income to support my self and my husband.

Thank you! May I also ask can the birth certificate be issued by the hospital instead of the municipal office?

I do not think a b/c issued by the hospital of birth meets the requirements:

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person's date of birth;
  • Person's place of birth;
  • Names of both parents; and,
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Thanks mom spreadsheet is of great help. It doesnt say to include financial documents of dependent (i.e. pay stubs). Will it do any harm if I include financial documents of my husband. What I hope from that is that way we can show we have more than enough income to support my self and my husband.

Including his pay slips shouldn't do any harm.

Does anyone included the cover letter? If so could you please let me know what did you guys write? And also should I highlight the early filing section in the memo?
FWIW, i included a "cover letter", with the following info, just because i wanted to emphasize that docs were double sided, otherwise i didn't really see the need to include one. And I didn't file early.

"Name:
Submission type: DIVERSITY VISA BASED ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS APPLICATION
FORMS included:
a. I-485
b. G-325A
c. G-1145
d. I-134
e. SEALED I-693
Also included are related supporting documentation.
Please Note: Most Documents are DOUBLE SIDED"

I do not think a b/c issued by the hospital of birth meets the requirements:

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person's date of birth;
  • Person's place of birth;
  • Names of both parents; and,
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Thanks a lot!!! May I ask what does it refer to as the "long form original birth certificate."? What is the difference between the short form? Thanks again!

When I check my case status over on the uscis.gov site, it hasn't updated from "Fingerprint Fee Was Received" even though I have my interview scheduled for Dec 15 and have had it scheduled for almost two weeks now. Is this a problem?

Hi, just a quick one - got our 2NL and payment receipt, just waiting for number to become current - we need to fly within the US for work in a few weeks - I know flying abroad could pose re-entry issues without AP, but is it OK to travel and fly around within the US?

Hi, just a quick one - got our 2NL and payment receipt, just waiting for number to become current - we need to fly within the US for work in a few weeks - I know flying abroad could pose re-entry issues without AP, but is it OK to travel and fly around within the US?

Traveling/flying around the US is acceptable and okay, will not pose a problem