• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Everyone,
my wife won the DV and our number will be current on 1st of May but we sent the complete file on 4th of April to Chicago as of today we still haven't received any confirmation or any letter for receiving the file by the USCIS even the check hasn't cashed yet?!!! is that normal? i am a bit worried after I've read so many delays in this discussion!
any thoughts?!

Yes, your timeframe is still normal

Hello everyone,
Today we had our interview. IO was somewhat nice, asked as all questions from the i485, asked for our son birth certificate. And that's it. I asked if we pass background check, he said "maybe". Does it mean no? or they just can't officially tell about checks? In the end he said that he will check if visa number available, and if everything alright we will receive our GC in a couple of weeks (I so hope that's the case)

Hello Mom,
We did our biometric in March 7th. So, we did an Infopass, We went today to FO and asked the officer about case, he told the case is in request pending to interview and when the interview slot is open they will send us an interview letter. I didn't quiet understand...does it meant our background check is cleared?
My wife is a DV winner and she is currently in F1 status while I am in F1/OPT. My OPT is going to expired in July 31st. Mom do you think we should hire a lawyer if we didn't receive an interview letter by the end of this month? Thank you!

Hi team,
Thanks for all of your great work here. Inspired by Rukash's question, I'm interested if this forum has a definitive opinion on situations where immigration status expires while waiting for green card to be issued / interview to be scheduled.
I've heard two different things here:
  1. You should be in status when you attend your interview
  2. Once you are doing AoS your status is pending adjustment, and you're in status even if your other status has expired while you are waiting
Separately, @mom, I've written some excel code in my own spreadsheet to give median times for each step of the process - would it be helpful if I added this directly to the main spreadsheet?
Thanks.

Hello everyone,
Today we had our interview. IO was somewhat nice, asked as all questions from the i485, asked for our son birth certificate. And that's it. I asked if we pass background check, he said "maybe". Does it mean no? or they just can't officially tell about checks? In the end he said that he will check if visa number available, and if everything alright we will receive our GC in a couple of weeks (I so hope that's the case)

The 'maybe' response doesn't mean 'no', and it doesn't mean they can't officially tell you either. It simply means the IO didn't feel like a verbal commitment, wants to do a final review before approving the case. So continue being patient.

Hello Mom,
We did our biometric in March 7th. So, we did an Infopass, We went today to FO and asked the officer about case, he told the case is in request pending to interview and when the interview slot is open they will send us an interview letter. I didn't quiet understand...does it meant our background check is cleared?
My wife is a DV winner and she is currently in F1 status while I am in F1/OPT. My OPT is going to expired in July 31st. Mom do you think we should hire a lawyer if we didn't receive an interview letter by the end of this month? Thank you!

It could mean it's still pending, or could mean it has also cleared. Don't try and read any meaning to what they told outside of what they actually said. The important thing is to get your IL, just patiently wait for it to arrive. Of course check with the FO or schedule an INFOPASS as needed every now and then.

Hiring a lawyer at this point in time, in particular is mere waste of money. Nothing any lawyer can do regarding the IL, if your petition is still pending as at the expiration of your OPT, you'll need to stop working unless of course you have an AOS based EAD card you can switch over to.

Hi team,
Thanks for all of your great work here. Inspired by Rukash's question, I'm interested if this forum has a definitive opinion on situations where immigration status expires while waiting for green card to be issued / interview to be scheduled.
I've heard two different things here:
  1. You should be in status when you attend your interview
  2. Once you are doing AoS your status is pending adjustment, and you're in status even if your other status has expired while you are waiting
Separately, @mom, I've written some excel code in my own spreadsheet to give median times for each step of the process - would it be helpful if I added this directly to the main spreadsheet?
Thanks.

In this forum, we greatly encourage petitioners to remain in status until their AOS petition gets adjudicated. That is not to say being out of status as at the time of the interview (assuming the one was still in status as at the time the petition was formally accepted by USCIS) will lead to the AOS petition being denied.

The reason for encouraging people to be in a valid status is to ensure they have a valid fall back status if for any reason their AOS petition gets denied. If you're out of status when your AOS petition gets rejected or denied, you have no valid status to fall back into and you may find us accruing an illegal presence effective when you valid status initially expired.

We're always looking for ways to improve the tools we're making available to help people through the process. Regarding your version of the processing times, you can PM it to me and I will look at the possibility of incorporating it into the AOS spreadsheet.

The 'maybe' response doesn't mean 'no', and it doesn't mean they can't officially tell you either. It simply means the IO didn't feel like a verbal commitment, wants to do a final review before approving the case. So continue being patient.
Thank you Mom. Ill practice my patience)

In this forum, we greatly encourage petitioners to remain in status until their AOS petition gets adjudicated. That is not to say being out of status as at the time of the interview (assuming the one was still in status as at the time the petition was formally accepted by USCIS) will lead to the AOS petition being denied.

The reason for encouraging people to be in a valid status is to ensure they have a valid fall back status if for any reason their AOS petition gets denied. If you're out of status when your AOS petition gets rejected or denied, you have no valid status to fall back into and you may find us accruing an illegal presence effective when you valid status initially expired.

Thanks, Mom, that makes sense. Hopefully our interview will be scheduled before I'm out of status. F1 visas have discretionary status duration anyway (typically 60 days, but technically no unlawful presence until a finding by a judge), so promptly leaving the country in the event of being declined should cover it.

Hi Mom! I have been following the forum for quite a while and I wanted to say that it has been really helpful for me and I thank for that!!! Recently I am a F1 student living in the U.S I was selected or the DV lottery 2016 and I decided to do the AOS here and yesterday I received my interview letter in the mail and my interview is on May 20th, 2016 and in the letter i received two different paper telling me what to bring on the day of the interview, the first had small boxes on the left with crosses (X) on some of them and the other one was just bullet points of what I need to bring, my question is which one should I rely on? the one with the X inside of the boxes or the one with the bullet points ? Also, it asked that I bring an evidence of financial support to prove that I am not going to be a financial burden, can you tell me which document I need in regards to the financial evidence? I am a F1 full-time student, fully supported by my parents.
Thanks in advance!! @Sm1smom

Hi Mom! I have been following the forum for quite a while and I wanted to say that it has been really helpful for me and I thank for that!!! Recently I am a F1 student living in the U.S I was selected or the DV lottery 2016 and I decided to do the AOS here and yesterday I received my interview letter in the mail and my interview is on May 20th, 2016 and in the letter i received two different paper telling me what to bring on the day of the interview, the first had small boxes on the left with crosses (X) on some of them and the other one was just bullet points of what I need to bring, my question is which one should I rely on? the one with the X inside of the boxes or the one with the bullet points ? Also, it asked that I bring an evidence of financial support to prove that I am not going to be a financial burden, can you tell me which document I need in regards to the financial evidence? I am a F1 full-time student, fully supported by my parents.
Thanks in advance!! @Sm1smom

Well, since I can't see the two lists that came with your IL, my crystal ball doesn't work that far:p, I can't tell you which particular list to follow. However I don't think there's anything wrong with putting together whatever's listed on both.

You need to find a USC or a LPR to provide you with an I-134 and supporting documents, unless you're earning an income above the applicable poverty guideline in which case you'll need to provide proof of that income in place of the I-134.

@Sm1smom 1 Thank you Mom!! But what is a USC or LPR? if you dont mind me asking... Also is a bank statement from my sponsor (which is my father in this) a proof strong enough to present as a supporting document?

@Sm1smom 1 Thank you Mom!! But what is a USC or LPR? if you dont mind me asking... Also is a bank statement from my sponsor (which is my father in this) a proof strong enough to present as a supporting document?

USC - U.S. Citizen
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident

Since your father isn't based in the US, that option may not be considered by the IO

Hello everybody & Mom!
Let me update all with my process: I'm just out of my interview and everything went very well! :)
I updated my timeline on the excel doc.
Cheers yall and good luck!

Hi Mom I have some questions, one is I did submit work authorization and travel authorization for my self and my husband. Its been over 3 months and online status still says case is received. Now dilemma is due to our OPT card extention validity risk is no longer there we really dont need this. But it has gone past the 3 month time so should I give them a call and ask about it or should I just wait?
My other question is the I485. I called KCC and found out they requested my file on Fed 28th and they have send the file on Feb 29th. I went to a infopass on March 14th and officer said to wait for 3 months until I get the interview letter or actual green card. At the same time I asked him about our back ground checks and he said its complete. Now until today I m yet to here back (I know its only 1 month has gone past) but is it advisable to have another infopass in next month or should I wait for entire 3 months and go back in June?

I called KCC about 2 week ago and asked if they have sent my documents to my FO or not, they said we haven't sent it and it takes up to 4 weeks! One week later I called again and they said it takes 4-6 weeks (I called 1 more time in the same day to make sure I get the same answer). Today after 6 weeks I called again and they said it takes up to 8 weeks! Are they playing with us? Is there anything that I can do?
I had my interview about 45 days ago.

Hi Mom I have some questions, one is I did submit work authorization and travel authorization for my self and my husband. Its been over 3 months and online status still says case is received. Now dilemma is due to our OPT card extention validity risk is no longer there we really dont need this. But it has gone past the 3 month time so should I give them a call and ask about it or should I just wait?
My other question is the I485. I called KCC and found out they requested my file on Fed 28th and they have send the file on Feb 29th. I went to a infopass on March 14th and officer said to wait for 3 months until I get the interview letter or actual green card. At the same time I asked him about our back ground checks and he said its complete. Now until today I m yet to here back (I know its only 1 month has gone past) but is it advisable to have another infopass in next month or should I wait for entire 3 months and go back in June?

1. Re EAD/AP card: WAIT! Processing time could be 3-6 months, you've not gone above that yet.

2. Your call. You can do a monthly INFOPASS or wait a bit longer. Again, your CN only became current in Mar, if I'm not mistaken, so your case hasn't experienced an unusual delay yet.

I called KCC about 2 week ago and asked if they have sent my documents to my FO or not, they said we haven't sent it and it takes up to 4 weeks! One week later I called again and they said it takes 4-6 weeks (I called 1 more time in the same day to make sure I get the same answer). Today after 6 weeks I called again and they said it takes up to 8 weeks! Are they playing with us? Is there anything that I can do?
I had my interview about 45 days ago.

That's the standard response they give when they're tired of everyone calling to find out if their KCC file got sent. When you called today, did you first try to confirm if your FO had asked for the file and when the request was made?

That's the standard response they give when they're tired of everyone calling to find out if their KCC file got sent. When you called today, did you first try to confirm if your FO had asked for the file and when the request was made?
Yes I did, she confirmed that my FO has requested on March 8th.