• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Hey guys

Just curious, with those that have moved to the U.S. Successfully, how did you get on with applying for rental homes? With having no credit score or history, I'm wondering if it's easy enough to be accepted.
Where did you stay before getting a rental? Hotel or something like air BnB?

Thank you

Hey guys

Just curious, with those that have moved to the U.S. Successfully, how did you get on with applying for rental homes? With having no credit score or history, I'm wondering if it's easy enough to be accepted.
Where did you stay before getting a rental? Hotel or something like air BnB?

Thank you
Both times I rented I went through Craigslist. The owners can be a bit more flexible than a property manager. Luckily and amazingly my first landlord was an aussie. The thing they all want though is proof of a decent job. Money in the bank is not enough, and most of them do a background check. The two from craigslist didn't but almost all of the others want to do a background and credit check and charge you $25-$45 (non refundable) to do so. I didn't with either of my landlords. Mind you,both my properties have been more ghetto and less up market. The thing is, once they meet you and see that you have an income, they tend to be a little more flexible. Especially if you talk to them and explain your situation.
When I first moved to Loveland I stayed in a long term hotel. It was a hotel room with a kitchenette, and was $400 a week but depending on where you stay it could be cheaper or more expensive. Some Air BnB hosts might do a long term deal. It's definitely doable, but employment is the key. Some of them expect you to earn at least 3 times the rent to be sure you can cover it. Good luck, if you come to Colorado I could help out, otherwise, not lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Deb7a :)
We will probably do the same thing, just get a long term hotel for the first few weeks while we settle in and get employment etc.
hmmm, I have always thought about colorado! It looks amazing!
How are you finding living there? Have you made friends and are enjoying life in the USA?
I cant wait to get there and start my adventure.
If we meet up, I could bring you a care package from aussie haha Vegemite and Tim Tams! I think I will miss sushi train the most lol, in saying that, I thing the food in the states is awesome and I cant wait to get back for Cinnabon and Taco Bell

If we meet up, I could bring you a care package from aussie haha Vegemite and Tim Tams! I think I will miss sushi train the most lol, in saying that, I thing the food in the states is awesome and I cant wait to get back for Cinnabon and Taco Bell

You might be surprised what you get here ;) My local Safeway sells Tim Tams. (It may sell vegemite too but can't say I've ever looked for it...!!)

I ended up booking a 2 bed apartment online in Houston. Did not have any trouble. Found it strange that they ask for employment proof . Luckily I have landed a job and I could just flick the copy of my contract as proof . All seems to be going as per plan. Just moving house seems to be quite a stressful exercise

Yeah @SusieQQQ I did see Tim Tams in Hawaii too :) Im sure i'll find them. Marmite or Vegimite might be a little more difficult though.

Can anyone recommed a reasonably priced hotel in LA or OC that does long term or weekly rates? Im looking online but the ones I find have awful reviews..

Yeah @SusieQQQ I did see Tim Tams in Hawaii too :) Im sure i'll find them. Marmite or Vegimite might be a little more difficult though.

Can anyone recommed a reasonably priced hotel in LA or OC that does long term or weekly rates? Im looking online but the ones I find have awful reviews..

I think marmite is quite easily available. Can't stand the stuff myself.
We used Hyatt House, not there but they seem to have many around so see what's in the area, who give you a really good break on the rate if you book for 30 days or longer. They let us keep the long term rate per night even though we ended up checking out before the 30 days... They have fully fitted rooms with kitchens but still serve breakfast on site, some have free evening meals a couple of times a week etc. We preferred a hotel to Airbnb etc because of the flexibility to either check out earlier or extend the stay at short notice, given that we had no idea how long it would actually take to find a suitable rental.

Spread it lightly with melted butter @SusieQQQ
Too much is disgusting.

Thanks for the info about where to stay. And @Aucklander, I thought a bank balance would have been enough! employment contract is what I won't have right away as I'll be looking for work. I wonder if some places will allow a few months rent in advance or I'll be living in a hotel until I get work lol

How are you liking Houston? I love the southern accent very tempted to move there but I'm trying to get out of humidity!

We will be renting before we buy. Our realtor (which we confirmed with apartment complexes) has indicated that a bank balance will be more than sufficient to get a rental, albeit we might have to pay a few months in advance (which we are happy to do).

Spread it lightly with melted butter @SusieQQQ
Too much is disgusting.

Thanks for the info about where to stay. And @Aucklander, I thought a bank balance would have been enough! employment contract is what I won't have right away as I'll be looking for work. I wonder if some places will allow a few months rent in advance or I'll be living in a hotel until I get work lol

How are you liking Houston? I love the southern accent very tempted to move there but I'm trying to get out of humidity!

I thought a bank balance would have been enough but surprisingly never got asked . They just asked for proof of employment. I am not there yet so it's all been done online and I have spoken to the apartment manager on the phone. Will try and post a link here. Seems tidy. I wouldn't know much about Houston. I only spent a day there on our last trip and that was to interview for the job I landed. Was very hot and humid for sure.
They use a lot of Sir's and Madam's in their lingo from what I saw.
I had the lady ask me when would "ya'll" be moving ain ? Was quite different . My attraction was Texas doesn't have state tax , cheap housing.
Not sure if we would be there forever.
Luckily both me and the mrs work for the supermarket industry which makes it easier for us to move to any city.

Been back in Florida for 2 months now since leaving Australia. Absolutely love it and the fact its football season makes it all the more better!

We will probably do the same thing, just get a long term hotel for the first few weeks while we settle in and get employment etc.
hmmm, I have always thought about colorado! It looks amazing!
How are you finding living there? Have you made friends and are enjoying life in the USA?
I cant wait to get there and start my adventure.

After leaving Pueblo I am happy as I think I have found my place. It is beautiful up here in Northern Colorado and the mountains are a pretty good substitute for my beloved beach. I may change my mind once the snow hits, but am excited for that as well. Everything I could possibly need is pretty close by and I keep discovering more. There are plenty of jobs here, the only problem is that (except for California and New York) this is possibly one of the more expensive areas to live, but it's worth it. Pueblo was cheap, and it was hideous so you get what you pay for lol. I have made quite a few friends, and lost some as well, but since I have my live in love, I haven't met as many people as I don't have the pressing need. I need some girlfriends though. That's a harder task. The one's I have met are a couple of hours away so that doesn't really help. It sure is an adventure though, and it is what you make of it. Honestly, this time last year when I was anxiously awaiting news of my interview date, if I had have outlined the script for the way I wanted this adventure to go, I couldn't have got it closer without being a clairvoyant. It has met my expectations exactly. At 55 I am living my dream, something I never believed would have happened 10 years ago. I sincerely wish everyone else has the same good fortune that I have had since being here. If it all goes belly up, then I always have the option of going back to Australia. There are new and different challenges here, and the States don't make life easy on us new comers, but everything worthwhile requires a bit of hard work to achieve and it's all the sweeter because of that. @cj27 I would love to meet up with you if you head this way. I'm only an hour from Denver Airport. Good Luck!!! P.S. any care packages would be greatly accepted lol. I'm in desperate need of Eta BBQ sauce. I hate their bbq sauces here. I have a fridge full of rejects. :(

I'm so glad to hear you are liking the new place @Deb7a :) if you like the place you live in, you are happier. Pubelo sounds awful.
Lol at your reject sauces! I'm glad you have found it easy to make friends, I worry about having to leave all mine and start over with a kind of different culture.
To be honest we will probably start off in the Orange County somewhere, we have friends there and hopefully this will make it easier. I do not want to stay there as rent is ridiculously priced. I love that I have a choice but worry that if I settle somewhere and then don't like it... Have to move again.

Do you recommend using Craigslist to purchase a car or rent a house? Some adverts have these rent to own deals that just look like a scam... Makes me nervous.

I'm so glad to hear you are liking the new place @Deb7a :) if you like the place you live in, you are happier. Pubelo sounds awful.
Lol at your reject sauces! I'm glad you have found it easy to make friends, I worry about having to leave all mine and start over with a kind of different culture.
To be honest we will probably start off in the Orange County somewhere, we have friends there and hopefully this will make it easier. I do not want to stay there as rent is ridiculously priced. I love that I have a choice but worry that if I settle somewhere and then don't like it... Have to move again.

Do you recommend using Craigslist to purchase a car or rent a house? Some adverts have these rent to own deals that just look like a scam... Makes me nervous.

Craigslist is ok as long as you use some common sense. There are scammers, but people that get scammed generally did not engage their common sense thinking.

If you are buying a car and you know about cars, Craigslist can be a great idea. If you don't know about cars or don't want to learn about the car buying process, go to a car dealer.

Same thing on houses.

Don't buy a car or rent a house sight unseen and make sure the person you are dealing with is genuine before you part with cash.

Thanks @Britsimon

It all gets a little overwhelming with having to research all the rules and what not to do etc.
exciting times ahead! Hope to be over very soon.

Also out of curiosity, are green card holders allowed to work overseas but commute back to the states every few weeks? Obviously the gc holder has a home, bills, family and cars in the states. But just work abroad.
Ty

Thanks @Britsimon

It all gets a little overwhelming with having to research all the rules and what not to do etc.

Also out of curiosity, are green card holders allowed to work overseas but commute back to the states every few weeks? Obviously the gc holder has a home, bills, family and cars in the states. But just work abroad.
Ty

Yep, they can do that.

Thanks @Britsimon

Ty

And importantly, PAY TAX in the US.