• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

@ usken,headstart programs are federally funded,so no charges as long as your annual gross salary is below the required margin.medical insurance is free to those with low income,the process for appllying is rigorous but worth it.same with food stumps.For the driving part of it,there are some MVA divisions which do not accept kenyan dl's for reasons i dont know.I know of 6 specific cases where the holders were either sent to the kenyan embassy to have the embaasy authentic the Dls or were rejected all together,2 as early as last week.but you should be ok,i think its cz some kenyans fetch dls from river rd,but wheather fake or original,it will have to be authenticated by an MVA personnel.

Hello everyone,prince John.we landed in MD in Nov 7th,we are 6 months old now.its not easy to start a new life,our experience hasn't been the best as we did not receive much help from our host.The job industry is nasty,geting a job here can take months.My wife got hers first beginning of Feb,housekeeping in a good first class hotel,she is still there.working in a hotel as a first job is good,comes with tips.she gets btwn $15-30 every day.It took me 4 months to get a job,and finally got one in March with MD's largest org,catholic charities,a rily good place to be.We are yet to get our DL,i failed my 1st test on parallel parking ,my 2nd test is in a few weeks time.we have saved for a car,and i also using my DL from kenya to drive arnd whenever i get a chance from a friend.We have shifted to our own apartment,3 weeks now,and its the best part of growth so far as freedom is so important.The rent here rages btwn $750-800 one bdrm,$850-950 two bedroom.Minimum wage per hour in MD is 8.5.Getting a place to drop our son when we go to work was another nightmare.Daycare centers are way too expensive here,$180 per week and some $ 50 per day!we were however lucky to get a great Nigerian nanny who looks after children in her apartment,not too far from our home.we pay $15 per day,8am-6pm .she has a lovely heart and our son is comfortable.He will be joining HEADSTART later in Sept as he is not yet 3 yrs,and a child has to be 3 to join headstart which is free.My wife will be taking CNA course in a few weeks time,we are currently saving for the same.We have free state's medical insurance valid for one year,renewable if certain conditions are met.That's all for now,i will gladly answer any ? if any.God bless.
@Prince John congratulations on your settling down in MD. Did you need someone to co-sign for you as you rented your first house or did you do it alone

Loads of things be happening in Baltimore, l see after getting your approval you ain't been watching the news :cool::cool:
Your conclusion is interesting. How did you arrive at it ?

I am up to scratch with news and life goes on. Can you see the efforts towards getting the truth?
Did you see the mum who's spanked his teenage, hooligan kid?

="usken go, post: 2396207, member: 365306"]Your conclusion is interesting. How did you arrive at it ?

I am up to scratch with news and life goes on. Can you see the efforts towards getting the truth?
Did you see the mum who's spanked his teenage, hooligan kid?

Yep I saw that - and was surprised that people applauded the actions as if smacking the kid around the head a few times would make the boy think "oh yeah, violence is bad". Sheesh.

Anyway, you mentioned living in Baltimore and, given the attention Baltimore has had that would seem like an odd choice to make. However, Burtonsville is not Baltimore - and it is well placed between Baltimore and Washington. So that would be a smart choice.

In general, I think people don't pay enough attention to where they are planning to live. New immigrants have no roots in the USA, they can choose to live anywhere, so it amazes me when people choose areas that have problems. Cheap doesn't always mean bad, but doesn't mean good either. Go where the work is, where economic conditions, social conditions and leisure conditions are going to add up to a nice life.

I met an African American family last night who had with them their 13 year old son. The son is almost 6 foot tall already, good looking, well spoken, totally able to communicate with a number of very wealthy individuals in a social setting. He wasn't out of place at all. He's doing well in school, I am sure he will play basketball in University and has an incredible future before him. Much of that is simply because his parents have been able to make sure he lives in a nice area, with good schools and so on, and they have done an awesome job in raising a fine young man. There is a lot of talk about racial disadvantage in America, but this family proves that the color of your skin does not have to be a factor if you don't let it. The choices you make on where to live will be choices you make for the life ahead of your kids. It is worth aspiring to get into the best environment possible.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I met an African American family last night who had with them their 13 year old son. The son is almost 6 foot tall already, good looking, well spoken, totally able to communicate with a number of very wealthy individuals in a social setting. He wasn't out of place at all. He's doing well in school, I am sure he will play basketball in University and has an incredible future before him. Much of that is simply because his parents have been able to make sure he lives in a nice area, with good schools and so on, and they have done an awesome job in raising a fine young man.

I would have said that was my son you met if you hadn't stated this kid was 13 and he's under 6 feet :p:p

I agree. The choice of where to live is not an easy one to make. For instance I have been at it since I decided to pursue the dv and I think there was thread which went quiet.
The factors outlined by B. simon are what I aspire for. With a family of three young kids, the move needs some thinking and meticulous planning.
My host is a family man and we have discussed this for a very long time.
He lives in Burtonsville and he says it is a good place for a family so we start there but nobody knows where we will end up putting our roots down.
I anticipate that it will be near a good agricultural college/research institution so the west coast comes up, good elementary and middle schools and most important, very low crime- this made us forfeit a good job offer in piedmont area. Certainly not in the north due to climate. This is what we are aspiring for. This is perhaps what B.Simon's third paragraph is all about but it is easier said than done! We can only try.

I agree. The choice of where to live is not an easy one to make. For instance I have been at it since I decided to pursue the dv and I think there was thread which went quiet.
The factors outlined by B. simon are what I aspire for. With a family of three young kids, the move needs some thinking and meticulous planning.
My host is a family man and we have discussed this for a very long time.
He lives in Burtonsville and he says it is a good place for a family so we start there but nobody knows where we will end up putting our roots down.
I anticipate that it will be near a good agricultural college/research institution so the west coast comes up, good elementary and middle schools and most important, very low crime- this made us forfeit a good job offer in piedmont area. Certainly not in the north due to climate. This is what we are aspiring for. This is perhaps what B.Simon's third paragraph is all about but it is easier said than done! We can only try.
All the best @usken go . May you realize your aspirations.