• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Even the CO had a challenge denying us because everything else was alright.
This is a painful lesson learned....we only used the agent once but he continued using our info without our knowledge. In fact when we called him yesterday he wasn't remorseful. Please remember the devil lies in the detail! I wish everyone else scheduled for the interview all the best. Just do your homework and pray all will be well.

And by the way in the event you're denied for any other reasons and you're certain you can work around it, go ahead and email your request immediately for review to ImmigrationVisaNairobi@state.gov
Usually they review all denials to determine whether the law allows for reprise.
You can also send any queries you have to them as well just to rule out guess work.
By all means make sure KNEC sends your confidential KCSE cert to the Embassy at least 2 weeks before your interview. This is the first document they had when we arrived. Some people were put on AP because they didn't have it. Separate your originals from your copies and ensure you keep your passport and appointment letter in hand at the gate. These two will be checked severally.
The documents they'll be most interested are originals and copies of: KCSE cert, KCPE cert, birth cert, police cert, marriage cert, DS Confirmation page, passport photos and visa fees.

And by the way in the event you're denied for any other reasons and you're certain you can work around it, go ahead and email your request immediately for review to ImmigrationVisaNairobi@state.gov
Usually they review all denials to determine whether the law allows for reprise.
You can also send any queries you have to them as well just to rule out guess work.
By all means make sure KNEC sends your confidential KCSE cert to the Embassy at least 2 weeks before your interview. This is the first document they had when we arrived. Some people were put on AP because they didn't have it. Separate your originals from your copies and ensure you keep your passport and appointment letter in hand at the gate. These two will be checked severally.
The documents they'll be most interested are originals and copies of: KCSE cert, KCPE cert, birth cert, police cert, marriage cert, DS Confirmation page, passport photos and visa fees.
@JC am very sorry for the bad news. Can you just clarify exactly what details exactly you are referring to so that we can understand. Was the agent a cyber or what? Please clarify further

Hello friends,i did my KCSE exams twice,but the certificate which i have collected is the one which i sat for the examination last.The previous one got misplaced.Dont you think this can bring a confusion at the interview provided that i request the knec to provide my confidential results to the Embassy.will they provide the previous results which i already misplaced the certificate or will they provide the embassy with the results that i already have the certificate or will they provide both the results?i am confused,somebody help me please.thank you in advance

@peterbingi thanks. Yes it was a cyber agent who came highly recommended. What happened is when the agent applied for us again without telling us he messed us up because by the time we found out we had won we thought it was an earlier application (pardon our ignorance). What the agent didn't know is that at the time he made that application we got another child who he didn't include in the that application. He never called to ask anything and for us we had forgotten about everything since we never heard from him.
We only heard from him after we won.

When filling the DS 260 we added the new child since he was born after the application. But unfortunately the application the agent made in our absence was the same year as the year the child was born which we only found out at the Embassy. It's only after checking our documents later with the help of an expert that we realized the agent had filled applications twice. This was a technicality from the word go because even if the agent called us before we would have still been doomed.

The only way we could have gotten the visa is by pretending we don't have another child which wasn't going to work. But had we known this fact even after winning we could have forgone the process and applied for last October and avoided psychological trauma and a lot of investment. But we appreciate the hard lesson learned. Be very careful and make sure you have your facts right!

When filling the DS 260 we added the new child since he was born after the application. But unfortunately the application the agent made in our absence was the same year as the year the child was born which we only found out at the Embassy. It's only after checking our documents later with the help of an expert that we realized the agent had filled applications twice. This was a technicality from the word go because even if the agent called us before we would have still been doomed.

The only way we could have gotten the visa is by pretending we don't have another child which wasn't going to work. But had we known this fact even after winning we could have forgone the process and applied for last October and avoided psychological trauma and a lot of investment. But we appreciate the hard lesson learned. Be very careful and make sure you have your facts right!

This is very antagonizing, I feel for you. Sorry but just allow me to ask you this question although I am sure you are very low. At what point does the CO inform you that the
visa has been denied. Does he/she let you go through the interview only to pull a surprise at the end or they inform you before hand, kindly. What is the best time to ask for KNEC confidential certificate ie how long before the interview.

@gitma thanks for the encouragement. You can predict in advance what's coming if you remain keen. Pay close attention to the CO's body language. At the window where they verify your documents they'll check if you're eligible for the visa as per the first application you made. So in case there's a problem the person at that window will bring it to your attention.

We were first called at window 4 to verify documents and the lady there told us there was a problem but there was a chance it could be resolved. From that moment our doubts were raised. Next we went to pay and then do our finger prints. After which we were called at another window for the interview. What made us worried is the CO's stiff and cold demeanor. We immediately knew something was wrong.

After taking an oath, she asked a few questions while typing like what year we got married, how many kids we have, if we've ever been to the US, how long we were in the US and then concentrated on why our facts didn't match. Since we couldn't recollect what had happened my answer was vague. After typing a while she then said 'I'm sorry but I have bad news for you' as she gave us the dreaded red sheet that indicates why you were denied the visa. The good thing is that they mark the sheet and tell you the reason for denial. Then they return your passport and payment receipt and it's over.

Please note:
In case you find yourself in scenario where you don't recall a certain fact you're better off saying you don't recall rather than guessing or lying. The CO generally types what you're saying and in case you're denied you don't want those remarks to be lies or misrepresentation just in case you have a chance to sort out the matter.

Be precise and to the point but don't be vague. Answer the question asked in a complete way but don't turn it into a story. This may lead into more questions that you may not be prepared to answer or have answers for. If you're married you better know your spouse well including the skeletons in the closet. If you have kids know their accurate birth dates. Bottom line you don't want to give any impression that you don't know what you're saying. But at the same time just be yourself so that you don't look rehearsed. I don't think you'll have any problem as long you fully meet the main requirements stipulated in travelstate.gov
All the best.

Please note:
In case you find yourself in scenario where you don't recall a certain fact you're better off saying you don't recall rather than guessing or lying. The CO generally types what you're saying and in case you're denied you don't want those remarks to be lies or misrepresentation just in case you have a chance to sort out the matter.

Be precise and to the point but don't be vague. Answer the question asked in a complete way but don't turn it into a story. This may lead into more questions that you may not be prepared to answer or have answers for. If you're married you better know your spouse well including the skeletons in the closet. If you have kids know their accurate birth dates. Bottom line you don't want to give any impression that you don't know what you're saying. But at the same time just be yourself so that you don't look rehearsed. I don't think you'll have any problem as long you fully meet the main requirements stipulated in travelstate.gov
All the best.

Thank you @JC2015 this is very kind of you , but NEVER EVER GIVE UP. God bless you and your family.

@JC am very sorry for the bad news. Can you just clarify exactly what details exactly you are referring to so that we can understand. Was the agent a cyber or what? Please clarify further
@peterbingi what I meant by 'details' is things that aren't obvious but can mess you. These could be facts you've forgotten about or anything that's hard to explain in your documents. Go through your DS260 forms severally because you could be surprised to find a missing fact. Also compare your initial application with the second and ensure things match. If there's anything glaring prepare yourself on how to explain. The interview is quite short and you have but a few minutes to jog your memory.

All I can say is that, as you get to the finish line check and counter check every single detail in your documents particularly the initial application.
Especially if you have ever used an agent previously / at any point: make sure none of them (agents) have ever made an application for you you're not aware of.
All was well till we got to the Embassy. That's when we discovered that we didn't even fill the first application. The agent we had used 2 years ago made another application without our knowledge and put info that wasn't accurate. All he needed to do is inform us and we would have added the correct info.

@peterbingi thanks. Yes it was a cyber agent who came highly recommended. What happened is when the agent applied for us again without telling us he messed us up because by the time we found out we had won we thought it was an earlier application (pardon our ignorance). What the agent didn't know is that at the time he made that application we got another child who he didn't include in the that application. He never called to ask anything and for us we had forgotten about everything since we never heard from him.
We only heard from him after we won.

I'm sorry to learn about your visa denial and the sunk expenses that's gone with it.

Reading through your postings though, I wondered how come you guys had no warning bells something was amiss prior to attending the interview. How did you find out you won? Since you did not fill out the eDV registration yourself, you couldn't have had the confirmation number required for checking the result. Which means the agent contacted you after checking and finding out you where selected, correct? And if that were the case, how could you have assumed the selection was from a previous entry you made yourself? Since the agent called (and I'm assuming you paid him in order to get the details needed for you to continue processing), and you hadn't instructed him to put in an application on your behalf, how come it didn't occur to you that the information he used wasn't up to date, in which case you should have refused to pay him?

I'm sorry if my grilling sounds like I'm adding more to the heartache and disappointment you're currently experiencing, I'm just trying to use this as a teaching moment for others who may be in a similar situation down the road. Also I wish you had asked more questions with regards to your case when you found this forum, it would have saved you a lot both financially and in terms of dashed hope.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to note the positive spring in your step going forward!

@JC 2015 it is really sad to hear what to u and your family has had to go through today.it is also good that u have picked yourself and vowed to continue trying regardless of this setback. I just wanted to thank you for willingly sharing your story with us . It has honestly been an eye opener and will help the rest of us better prepare.

@gitma thanks I won't give up. I'll help others so they don't fall in this category. And yes we'll keep applying. There's always hope as long as one has breath and trusts in God.

It's a sad story - hopefully you will recover from this blow very soon - and there is no reason you cannot re-enter DV2017.

I have similar questions in my mind to those expressed by Mom. If there are two entries for the same year you normally don't get this far. However, it sounds like you were processing a case that was originally submitted by an agent - and the agent neglected to include the child. That was a clear violation of the rules and the instructions are clear that you will be disqualified.

What is also worth pointing out was that they wanted to do your interview anyway - although it was already certain they were going to refuse your case. The reason they did that (in my opinion) was to see if you were going to tell lies and dig a bigger hole for yourself - which could then have become a more serious issue. It is ESSENTIAL that people realize that telling the truth at all steps of the process.

I do hope people realize that these agents are ruining other peoples chances for their own gain. The sooner people stop using these greedy fools, the better.

I have similar questions in my mind to those expressed by Mom. If there are two entries for the same year you normally don't get this far. However, it sounds like you were processing a case that was originally submitted by an agent - and the agent neglected to include the child. That was a clear violation of the rules and the instructions are clear that you will be disqualified.

What is also worth pointing out was that they wanted to do your interview anyway - although it was already certain they were going to refuse your case. The reason they did that (in my opinion) was to see if you were going to tell lies and dig a bigger hole for yourself - which could then have become a more serious issue. It is ESSENTIAL that people realize that telling the truth at all steps of the process.

I do hope people realize that these agents are ruining other peoples chances for their own gain. The sooner people stop using these greedy fools, the better.

That was the bit I didn't understand. He said that the lady at window 4 said there was a chance the problem could be resolved, but it must have already been obvious to them it was a disqualification. Usually at that point they advise people to not continue, not see if they will dig holes...and a number of embassies in that case will also advise the prinicpal only pays until they see if they will in fact get approved. But it sounds like there were two reasons for denial - duplicate entry and leaving a child off the "winning" entry?

JC2015, sorry about the denial, but thank you for coming back to the forum to share your story and hopefully help others. It might be worth mentioning that we have had people on the forums say they are agents who have helped many people and maybe they do, but there are clearly many unscrupulous ones too and it's difficult for people to know which is which.

All I can say is that, as you get to the finish line check and counter check every single detail in your documents particularly the initial application.
Especially if you have ever used an agent previously / at any point: make sure none of them (agents) have ever made an application for you you're not aware of.
All was well till we got to the Embassy. That's when we discovered that we didn't even fill the first application. The agent we had used 2 years ago made another application without our knowledge and put info that wasn't accurate. All he needed to do is inform us and we would have added the correct info.
sorry and take heart,,agents are not good people at all

That was the bit I didn't understand. He said that the lady at window 4 said there was a chance the problem could be resolved, but it must have already been obvious to them it was a disqualification. Usually at that point they advise people to not continue, not see if they will dig holes...and a number of embassies in that case will also advise the prinicpal only pays until they see if they will in fact get approved. But it sounds like there were two reasons for denial - duplicate entry and leaving a child off the "winning" entry?

JC2015, sorry about the denial, but thank you for coming back to the forum to share your story and hopefully help others. It might be worth mentioning that we have had people on the forums say they are agents who have helped many people and maybe they do, but there are clearly many unscrupulous ones too and it's difficult for people to know which is which.

Yes - agreed - where there is a simple error that will probably disqualify they warn people before all the fees are paid. However, if there were two reasons for the denail - then that is more reason to see if this was a deliberate attempt at misrepresentation.

It's a sad story - hopefully you will recover from this blow very soon - and there is no reason you cannot re-enter DV2017.

@Britsimon wat they normally do in my country is they just go to high schools and take photos and ur names plus contacts then later they call u telling that u have been selected.if u dont pay then they start messing u up,,,,may God punish them to the third generation

Hello friends,i did my KCSE exams twice,but the certificate which i have collected is the one which i sat for the examination last.The previous one got misplaced.Dont you think this can bring a confusion at the interview provided that i request the knec to provide my confidential results to the Embassy.will they provide the previous results which i already misplaced the certificate or will they provide the embassy with the results that i already have the certificate or will they provide both the results?i am confused,somebody help me please.thank you in advance
it would be better if u informed them wat to send sir coz they can send anything