• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2015 hong kong police certificate HELP!

Anxiety2015

I am preparing for my civil documents, one of which is the police certificate from the Hong Kong police.

As per HK police, I need 'the original and a photocopy (for each applicant) of the letter from NVC which contains his/her name and the checklist of documents necessary for obtaining a visa (the one that references the need for police certificates);' >>which I don't have since DV is run by KCC, not NVC.

I called KCC and they directed me to write to the consulate for a special request form.

I contacted montreal and they wrote back that they don't provide such letter or form.
I called back KCC and rep told me they can't help nor provide anything further

I am in a limbo, I know I need the police certificate, which HK police won't process unless I have a letter stating my name and the requirement for such. KCC nor the interview post (montreal) cannot assist. My CN is in the 10,xxx and interview time is around july/aug. If i walk into interview without that doc, I will for sure put on AP for that missing document.
>> plus HK police takes min 6 weeks to submit and mail back to consulate. By the time the paper work gets thru, it may be past Sept 30...
>> I contacted consulate at HK, they seem to know about this HK police issue.. But they said they can't find my case and nothing they can help if my case not ready

anybody... What do you suggest I should do?

Why on earth have you left this so late? It is July 28th, and you say your interview is July/Aug so it must be round the corner!! Honestly, you may not be able to get the police certificate in time.

You should try and contact the embassy again (in writing) and be persistent. At the same time contact KCC again. Document every attempt you make to resolve the issue. I personally would also contact the HK Commission of Police and plead with them to issue the police certificate anyway. Again, document the emails/calls and so on. You may run out of time before the interview and then it is up to you whether you want to risk your interview fees. I would personally take that risk . In that case you should attend the interview, documenting your efforts you have made to try to get the list of documents and ultimately the police certificate. They may place you on AP and if so try and get them to provide you with a document explaining the AP is for the lack of the HK police cert. That may be enough to show to the HK police to get your certificate and depending on timing and luck you may get it in time.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/HK.html

Thank you Britsimon and Sm1smom.

Britsimon >> i am a 2015 selectee, program starts Oct 2014. Based on how the CN cut off movement for asia in 2014, I am guessing my interview is in July/Aug of 2015. So if anything, I'm a bit early.

Sm1smom >> good suggestion. But 2015 is the first year implementation for DS-260 online form. It used to be that KCC receives all documents through mail, so I suspect past HK winners might have received THAT KCC letter stating police certificate is missing to fulfill the HK police requirement. With the online form, it's no longer KCC's concern to check documentation, if Montreal embassy doesn't help me, who can?!? OIG (haha I don't think so...)

Thank you Britsimon and Sm1smom.

Britsimon >> i am a 2015 selectee, program starts Oct 2014. Based on how the CN cut off movement for asia in 2014, I am guessing my interview is in July/Aug of 2015. So if anything, I'm a bit early.

Sm1smom >> good suggestion. But 2015 is the first year implementation for DS-260 online form. It used to be that KCC receives all documents through mail, so I suspect past HK winners might have received THAT KCC letter stating police certificate is missing to fulfill the HK police requirement. With the online form, it's no longer KCC's concern to check documentation, if Montreal embassy doesn't help me, who can?!? OIG (haha I don't think so...)

AHHHHH - OK - then you have plenty of time. RELAXXXX!

Yes, I know this is the first time DV selectees are required to submit DS 260 form online. However, it has nothing to do with the issue you're facing. All KCC received via mail in the past really was just the DS 230 and DSP 122 forms, PCC was never sent to KCC and it will not be sent now either. Hong Kong will send your PCC to the applicable US embassy where your interview will be taking place, I don't think that process has changed. All you need to find out is what letter others presented to get their PCC from HK!

AHHHHH - OK - then you have plenty of time. RELAXXXX!
Yes, it's next year..
but No >> copied from the HK CG website "Please note that failure to apply for a police certificate at least 6 weeks before the scheduled interview date may result in a delay with processing the visa application."
I know my CN isn't bad, but interview is quite late in the program year. Given that my case is ready and my cut off is called 6-8 weeks prior to interview, I will fly back to HK when my # is called to
1)obtain letter from HK CG and 2) get the police certificate in person.
Then I fly back and relax for about a month, and return back to HK for the actual interview. My idea is that
1) Montreal isn't willing to help today; at least HK is looking me up as of yesterday; 2) given the airmail isn't always fast and reliable, and HK police takes up to 4 weeks to process.. i think it's safe to say mailing within HK is much faster than mailing to Montreal Canada... I am really considering moving my post to HK now, since it's not too late to notify KCC

Yes, I know this is the first time DV selectees are required to submit DS 260 form online. However, it has nothing to do with the issue you're facing. All KCC received via mail in the past really was just the DS 230 and DSP 122 forms, PCC was never sent to KCC and it will not be sent now either. Hong Kong will send your PCC to the applicable US embassy where your interview will be taking place, I don't think that process has changed. All you need to find out is what letter others presented to get their PCC from HK!
Thanks Sm1smom! I found a sample appointment letter - see attached
At the very bottom, there is a checklist that states what document the applicant is missing. >> so this would be sufficient to submit to HK police.
For the 2015 winners, I wonder if it will be the same or different appointment letter...

Attachments

• Sample Appointment Letter.JPG
    Sample Appointment Letter.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Sm1smom! I found a sample appointment letter - see attached
At the very bottom, there is a checklist that states what document the applicant is missing. >> so this would be sufficient to submit to HK police.
For the 2015 winners, I wonder if it will be the same or different appointment letter...

That's more or less the 2NL which those processing CP get when their CN becomes current, this is usually available about 6-8 weeks before the interview itself. Considering the fact that HK has stated it takes about 6 weeks for the PCC to be issued, I hope you will have enough time to get it processed before your interview or you might end up in AP following the interview.

I am preparing for my civil documents, one of which is the police certificate from the Hong Kong police.

As per HK police, I need 'the original and a photocopy (for each applicant) of the letter from NVC which contains his/her name and the checklist of documents necessary for obtaining a visa (the one that references the need for police certificates);' >>which I don't have since DV is run by KCC, not NVC.

I called KCC and they directed me to write to the consulate for a special request form.

I contacted montreal and they wrote back that they don't provide such letter or form.
I called back KCC and rep told me they can't help nor provide anything further

I am in a limbo, I know I need the police certificate, which HK police won't process unless I have a letter stating my name and the requirement for such. KCC nor the interview post (montreal) cannot assist. My CN is in the 10,xxx and interview time is around july/aug. If i walk into interview without that doc, I will for sure put on AP for that missing document.
>> plus HK police takes min 6 weeks to submit and mail back to consulate. By the time the paper work gets thru, it may be past Sept 30...
>> I contacted consulate at HK, they seem to know about this HK police issue.. But they said they can't find my case and nothing they can help if my case not ready

anybody... What do you suggest I should do?

Hi mate,

I was in the DV2014 program and I'm based in Hong Kong. I really dont see what your problem is. KCC will give you two months advanced notification before they set up your interview. So you have enough time to go to HK police and get your certificate. They issued mine in 3 weeks.

Thanks for your reply daham.

Which documents exactly did you produce to the HK police to get the cert?
On the HK police website, they require a letter from the immigration authority with you name and stating the need for the police cert.
I guess the selection letter or 2nl did not state the need of police cert. (section 4c under notes for overseas applicant :http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_useful_info/cert_no_crime.html)

The problem being my current residence is in Canada while I have lived in Hong Kong before and requires the police certificate.

Let's consider this example, my interview is 1 Aug 2015 which means I will be notified after 15 Jun 2015 (few days after the Advance VB comes out). Assuming I can contact the CG in Hong Kong, get a letter from them, mail the letter with application to Hong Kong police, then have my police cert mail to Montreal (my interviewing post), there's no way all this can be done before my interview.

In fact, the CG Hong Kong website (http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/iv_polclear.html) advise applicant to get the police cert 6 weeks in advance. That means even without all the mailing by having my interview in HK would provide me less than 6 weeks (from 15 Jun to 1Aug).

Thanks for your reply daham.

Which documents exactly did you produce to the HK police to get the cert?
On the HK police website, they require a letter from the immigration authority with you name and stating the need for the police cert.
I guess the selection letter or 2nl did not state the need of police cert. (section 4c under notes for overseas applicant :http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_useful_info/cert_no_crime.html)

The problem being my current residence is in Canada while I have lived in Hong Kong before and requires the police certificate.

Let's consider this example, my interview is 1 Aug 2015 which means I will be notified after 15 Jun 2015 (few days after the Advance VB comes out). Assuming I can contact the CG in Hong Kong, get a letter from them, mail the letter with application to Hong Kong police, then have my police cert mail to Montreal (my interviewing post), there's no way all this can be done before my interview.

In fact, the CG Hong Kong website (http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/iv_polclear.html) advise applicant to get the police cert 6 weeks in advance. That means even without all the mailing by having my interview in HK would provide me less than 6 weeks (from 15 Jun to 1Aug).

I can see why you chose your username.

Fist of all. The VB and notifications very often come out before the 15th.

Second. In your example you chose to worry yourself with a 1 August date. If you are current in August it is most likely to be on one of the other 30 days, given you some extra time.

Third. Daham said his came in 3 weeks, but let's say it takes yours the full 6 weeks or 8 weeks even. Let's say you attend the appointment and you don't have it. You'll be on AP pending the arrival of the cert, so then when it arrives (a week or two later) you present it and you get your visa.

Fourth. You have almost a whole year to wait and perhaps there is something else you'll work out.

Fifth. R-E-L-A-X!

I am in DV2014 AS134xx...(what so lucky number) n live in HK as well...
What if i got KCC last minute calling to interview, how can I have enough time to get the police certificate?
I am just wondering ... can I use the notification of DV winning lol?

I am in DV2014 AS134xx...(what so lucky number) n live in HK as well...
What if i got KCC last minute calling to interview, how can I have enough time to get the police certificate?
I am just wondering ... can I use the notification of DV winning lol?

Wow, frustrating number.

Well IF you get the last minute call, then you at least can go to get the police certificate. If there is any additional increase in numbers (which is doubtful) it would be in the next week or two, so you will have enough time before September 30.

@ Britsimon, am trying to relax.......but it's will be a long year. Thanks for your help.
@ Melissa Lam, at least you live in HK so going to the police HQ is not so bad. I would order the police cert with your selection letter if I were you.
$30 (205 HKD) is a small price to pay just in case.

The CG in HK ask folks to get police cert 6 weeks in advance (mailing time to HK + CG mail room time included), but it might be faster in reality (3 weeks according to daham)