• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 Application help

geoffroy_ingold

Registered Users (C)
Hello all. This is the second time that I´ve applied to the diversity visa program and have not been selected for further processing. I will be hopefully re applying this year but I have a concern when filling the application:

If I were to be selected I would like to get a green card for my son and his mother. I am not married to her but we do plan on getting married one day (5 years from now approximately)
On last year’s application I indicated that I was married with 1 son. I said I was married since if I would have put that I was single I wouldn´t have the option to include my future wife on the online application.

Would it be considered fraud that I say that I am married on the application even though I am not?
If I were selected could I get married right away and proceed with all of the other paperwork?
Hope that made sense.

Don't put you're married if you're not. That will disqualify you.

File as single and add your son. If you get selected, you can get married and file a correction with the KCC. But obviously you will need tons of proof that your relationship and marriage are legitimate.

Frankly, why not just get married now? I don't get the point of waiting years and years to get married when you already have a child and you're planning on doing so anyway.

Don't put you're married if you're not. That will disqualify you.

File as single and add your son. If you get selected, you can get married and file a correction with the KCC. But obviously you will need tons of proof that your relationship and marriage are legitimate.

Frankly, why not just get married now? I don't get the point of waiting years and years to get married when you already have a child and you're planning on doing so anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Kind of feel too young to get married (27). lol. But on another hand me and my fiance are still a bit busy taking care of other matters before we can think about getting married.

So basically if I would have been selected I would have been out of the game anyway right?

So basically if I would have been selected I would have been out of the game anyway right?

That's correct. Education and other information should be entered correctly at the time of application (e.g. graduating the following month does not mean you can enter you already have a degree, planning to marry does not mean you can enter you've been married already). Basically, you are an example of why they select more than 50,000 people.

Just enter everything as it is, you can get married later and still bring your family with you.

Zee Zee

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct. Education and other information should be entered correctly at the time of application (e.g. graduating the following month does not mean you can enter you already have a degree, planning to marry does not mean you can enter you've been married already). Basically, you are an example of why they select more than 50,000 people.

Just enter everything as it is, you can get married later and still bring your family with you.

Zee Zee

Ok thanks Zee Zee. Glad I didn´t get selected this time then I guess. I would have been very dissapointed.

Take it easy . . .from the look of things, there won't be a dv2015. This was the last dv. However, other doors will open and there will be easier and surer ways of getting a green card than now.

Take it easy . . .from the look of things, there won't be a dv2015. This was the last dv. However, other doors will open and there will be easier and surer ways of getting a green card than now.

I sure hope your right. I have lived around 10 years in the US and had to come back to my home country since my F-1 Visa expired. I use to live in Houston as well due to my fathers job.
I would really like to go back.

Anyway I saw from wikipedia that there will be a DV-2015:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

It says the following: DV-2015: Nigeria will become ineligible, as per the recently released 2012 immigration statistics.

Now I know wikipedia isn´t a trustworthy source but maybe it is true.

Hello all. This is the second time that I´ve applied to the diversity visa program and have not been selected for further processing. I will be hopefully re applying this year but I have a concern when filling the application:

If I were to be selected I would like to get a green card for my son and his mother. I am not married to her but we do plan on getting married one day (5 years from now approximately)
On last year’s application I indicated that I was married with 1 son. I said I was married since if I would have put that I was single I wouldn´t have the option to include my future wife on the online application.

Would it be considered fraud that I say that I am married on the application even though I am not?
If I were selected could I get married right away and proceed with all of the other paperwork?
Hope that made sense.

Just get married NOW... doing anything after being selected will disqualify you...
Married after being selected: Fake marriage... unless you have tons and tons of pictures that can be dated...

puting married while single... better to not even apply...

I sure hope your right. I have lived around 10 years in the US and had to come back to my home country since my F-1 Visa expired. I use to live in Houston as well due to my fathers job.
I would really like to go back.

Anyway I saw from wikipedia that there will be a DV-2015:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

It says the following: DV-2015: Nigeria will become ineligible, as per the recently released 2012 immigration statistics.

Now I know wikipedia isn´t a trustworthy source but maybe it is true.

even if tht bill is passed, it will take long before it become a law or anything...can take even years... DV 2015 will be held.. and no nigerian? Meaning greater chance for African... DV2015 is mine

even if tht bill is passed, it will take long before it become a law or anything...can take even years... DV 2015 will be held.. and no nigerian? Meaning greater chance for African... DV2015 is mine

I was also not selected.Lets keep hoping for the best.Only time will tell what happens next.So being patient as things unfold is a necessity as we pray that dv2015 and more happens.DV2015 is mine too

Just get married NOW... doing anything after being selected will disqualify you...
Married after being selected: Fake marriage... unless you have tons and tons of pictures that can be dated...

For heavens sake, they have a son together and can obviously show that the relationship is real, it won't disqualify him.

(I also though don't understand why they can't just get married now.)

If you've read the bill, it specifically talks about dv visas not being issued effective 1st october 2014 (which is the date that dv2015 selectees are suppose to start getting their visas). However, there will be more doors that will open eg. There will be high skilled worker program that will give someone a green card or if someone gets masters degree from a U. S. university in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, he/she will automatically get a green card.

I'm sure they will somehow manage to mess up that bill and whatever little they can agree on will not get signed into law anytime soon. They can't even have a deal on a budget. :confused: Sure both parties want this bill, but they only care about illegal immigration right now, so we'll see if they are willing to create new ways to get more foreign labor into US where citizens complain about unemployment.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you for your concern,my question is,what did you fill in the place of the spouse.Since the from must have demanded you to indicate,i.e separated,legally separated,divorced or widowed.I suggest you now indicate separated since the form will demand you include (mention) her even if you are not staying together.Again being separated and not legally separated it would be easier for future petition.

Thank you for your concern,my question is,what did you fill in the place of the spouse.Since the from must have demanded you to indicate,i.e separated,legally separated,divorced or widowed.I suggest you now indicate separated since the form will demand you include (mention) her even if you are not staying together.Again being separated and not legally separated it would be easier for future petition.

Really? The OP should continue to perpetuate the lie? He was never married to the lady in the first place, now he should go ahead and state they're separated??? This is totally wrong IMO!

Obviously, the original post is more than a year old and it's not like the OP is still seeking additional opinions. But I feel this response should be squashed for the sake of those reading this thread in the future and who might be in a similar situation. You don't claim you're married or separated from someone when you're not simply because you have a child with the person. That is ground for disqualification at the time of the interview. It is possible to indicate you're single on the eDV form and still list your child/children without you having to resort to a lie!