• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello,

I am F1 visa student and I have applied for Adjustment of Status through DV2015 and I have also applied for Employment Authorization.

If I receive approval for Employment Authorization, can I start working being a student and still waiting for GC approval? If I start working my status would be changed, can it affect approval of my GC?

Thank you!

@spins008,

Your thread has been merged with an existing AOS Thread. In this forum we strive to keep all AOS related issues on the same thread. So please do not create a new thread for AOS related questions. Those questions can be posted here, makes it easier for everyone to benefit from. By going over the existing thread, you will also find out most of the questions you're asking have already been answered.

Hello,

I am F1 visa student and I have applied for Adjustment of Status through DV2015 and I have also applied for Employment Authorization.

If I receive approval for Employment Authorization, can I start working being a student and still waiting for GC approval? If I start working my status would be changed, can it affect approval of my GC?

Thank you!

To answer your question, yes you can begin to use the EAD card to work right away, while still attending school of course. However, be aware that once you use the AOS based EAD card to take up employment, you're technically no longer in F/J status and if your AOS application is denied, you can no longer revert back to your student visa status. So think carefully before making that move.

To answer your question, yes you can begin to use the EAD card to work right away, while still attending school of course. However, be aware that once you use the AOS based EAD card to take up employment, you're technically no longer in F/J status and if your AOS application is denied, you can no longer revert back to your student visa status. So think carefully before making that move.

Sorry, I am new to the forum and didn`t know the posting policies.

Thank you for your recommendation about EAD. Would you recommend me to start working when I receive EAD or it would be better to wait until I get GC approval?
I have applied for AOS and Employment Authorization in December, two days ago I was in the local office for fingerprints, I will graduate this May as full-time student(I am following your advice from other thread) and my I-20 is valid until August 2015.

Thank you Mom!

Sorry, I am new to the forum and didn`t know the posting policies.

Thank you for your recommendation about EAD. Would you recommend me to start working when I receive EAD or it would be better to wait until I get GC approval?
I have applied for AOS and Employment Authorization in December, two days ago I was in the local office for fingerprints, I will graduate this May as full-time student(I am following your advice from other thread) and my I-20 is valid until August 2015.

Thank you Mom!

I would suggest you don't use the DV AOS based EAD card for work, just wait for your GC which I'm sure will be approved before you graduate in May. Better safe than sorry.

I would suggest you don't use the DV AOS based EAD card for work, just wait for your GC which I'm sure will be approved before you graduate in May. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you for your response!

But can I start working not by EAD but by OPT before graduating or I should wait?

Last edited:
I am still waiting for KCC to forward my file to the FO. It has been really a long time to forward my file. :(
Does anyone know if getting infoPass actually helped Geramosrod in getting his green card?:confused:

I was also thinking that probably using "case outside normal processing time" might work as well. But I am not sure if it might mix up things and make my case's processing time actually longer than this. Any idea? Thank you for your help :confused::confused::(:(

Last edited:
I am still waiting for KCC to forward my file to the FO. It has been really a long time to forward my file. :(
Does anyone know if getting infoPass actually helped Geramosrod in getting his green card?:confused:

I was also thinking that probably using "case outside normal processing time" might work as well. But I am not sure if it might mix up things and make my case's processing time actually longer than this. Any idea? Thank you for your help :confused::confused::(:(
It is strange that your file would be held at KCC for so long…Didn't other forum members held up at the same time as you get theirs sent over? I am just wondering out loud, trying to figure out if yours fell through the cracks or something...Did you call them recently? What explanation did they give for the delay? Getting a straight answer on these files being sent has been a real challenge…I hope your case gets sorted very soon. Best,

It has been 5 weeks since my interview date and they have not sent my file to the field office. I was expecting to get my green card on the new year eve, but not happened :(
I am calling KCC every day. Once they say we have sent it and once they say it is being processed. All inaccurate and contradicting information. They never explained why this is happening, nothing.
Thank you :) I really need prayers, I am tired of waiting too long.

It has been 5 weeks since my interview date and they have not sent my file to the field office. I was expecting to get my green card on the new year eve, but not happened :(
I am calling KCC every day. Once they say we have sent it and once they say it is being processed. All inaccurate and contradicting information. They never explained why this is happening, nothing.
Thank you :) I really need prayers, I am tired of waiting too long.
Uhmmmm…I have experienced the same contradictions in recent days. Since your interview already went well, and this is the only hold up, I would advise that you don't get worked up over it. Focus on something else for a few weeks and THEN if it is still the same, check with Mom on what other actions you could take. Best wishes.

Interesting findings from infopass appt. @Linda_linda: I am not surprised KCC is tossing you around. Initially, FO indicated they are yet to receive file from KCC. I disguised my shock and replied coolly that KCC claim to have sent file on Dec 24th. Officer doubted. I stepped out, called KCC and was told by CS that file was sent Dec 31 via email. Went back in and informed FO, handed them number to call KCC. To cut long story short, KCC emailed file to wrong e-mail account!!! :eek: That issue was resolved on the spot.

My other holdup was my A-file is still in TSC as I have another pending I-485 via NIW route. My headache now is how to ask TSC to expedite release of my A-file to FO.

Hello @Sm1smom ,

I have a question, please:
I have applied for AOS in December and last week I was in the local office for fingerprints. How can I know when I should make an appointment through InfoPass? What is my next step?

Thank you!

Interesting findings from infopass appt. @Linda_linda: I am not surprised KCC is tossing you around. Initially, FO indicated they are yet to receive file from KCC. I disguised my shock and replied coolly that KCC claim to have sent file on Dec 24th. Officer doubted. I stepped out, called KCC and was told by CS that file was sent Dec 31 via email. Went back in and informed FO, handed them number to call KCC. To cut long story short, KCC emailed file to wrong e-mail account!!! :eek: That issue was resolved on the spot.

My other holdup was my A-file is still in TSC as I have another pending I-485 via NIW route. My headache now is how to ask TSC to expedite release of my A-file to FO.
Wow, glad you went and cleared that up! That issue could have gone on forever...goes to show that we must stay on top of things until the green card is in hand. Good luck sorting your other issue out.

Hello Mom @Sm1smom,
I was filling I485 form and have question
current USCIS status is my visa status right? F-1?
and what should i put for expires on part.
my visa expired in 2013 , do I have to put that date? or the one in I-20 , which shows study should be completed in 2017?
or the one which shows in I-94 page?

and for application type
do I check part "a"?

thank you beforehand

Hello Mom @Sm1smom,
I was filling I485 form and have question
current USCIS status is my visa status right? F-1?
and what should i put for expires on part.
my visa expired in 2013 , do I have to put that date? or the one in I-20 , which shows study should be completed in 2017?
or the one which shows in I-94 page?

and for application type
do I check part "a"?

thank you beforehand

Current Visa Status - F1

Expiry Date - The I-20 date is fine, you can also use the I-94 date (if that date is longer than the I-20 date).

Application Type - "H" and type something like "DV VISA LOTTERY WINNER-COPY OF LETTER ATTACHED" in front of it.

Hello @Sm1smom ,

I have a question, please:
I have applied for AOS in December and last week I was in the local office for fingerprints. How can I know when I should make an appointment through InfoPass? What is my next step?

Thank you!

Next step typically is to wait for the IL. However, while waiting, you can give KCC a call to find out if your FO has requested for your file or not, and if realreay requested, find out when it was sent or would be sent. As for an infopass appointment, you may want to want till the end of the month to see if your IL will show up or not before booking an infopass, or you can go ahead and book the infopass now with a date in early February since infopass appointments can be tough to get in some places. If your IL shows up while waiting for the infopass date, you can always go back online and cancel the appointment.

I hope you're glad you went ahead with the infopass appointment. At least you got to resolve something. Call USCIS and request for an expedite release be initiated/sent to TSC.