• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

1. Specific dates are better but best guesses are ok too. Obviously just try and be as accurate as possible.
2. No sounds like the right answer. If you were an architect and belonged to an association of architects that would be an example, as would the FreeMasons.
3. Don't ask for new numbers. The numbers won't change, and you cannot have two for one person. So - once you are an LPR you will nbeed to get new cards printed - but that does not mean new numbers.

Yes, absolutely. This is why I was also quite worried reading his posting and tried to provide him with some additional background information....

I am on F1 and she is on F2. H1 will go in effect on Oct 1st. My main cause of concern was: should I submit DS-260 now or wait and submit in October.

1. Specific dates are better but best guesses are ok too. Obviously just try and be as accurate as possible.
2. No sounds like the right answer. If you were an architect and belonged to an association of architects that would be an example, as would the FreeMasons.
3. Don't ask for new numbers. The numbers won't change, and you cannot have two for one person. So - once you are an LPR you will nbeed to get new cards printed - but that does not mean new numbers.
Thanks so much Simon, we were going to ask for new cards only but keep our existing numbers. we just want cards without that work authorization line...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Although this year, everyone files DS-260 online and things are a bit different. However, knowing that our numbers are roughly the same, the timeline of events you've given helps me understand roughly what to expect and when. Hopefully you've put this information in the 2014 timeline spreadsheet as well so everyone can see it. Good-luck with everything!
I got my case approved today.
hope u will also get yours by July 2015.

Another query…when asked if you've ever had a us visa cancelled…should we say yes if every time we renew our work visas the officers stamp cancelled without prejudice on the expiring visa before issuing the new one? should we respond yes and explain this or simply say no cause we've never had a real issue warranting visa cancelation? thanks guys

You don't have to include Cancelled Without Prejudice on the form when answering this question, the USCIS states that "Cancelled Without Prejudice or CWOP, is a stamp a U.S. Embassy or Consulate puts on a visa when there is a mistake in the visa or the visa is a duplicate visa (two of the same kind)" and therefore not viewed as a cancellation of a visa.

I am on F1 and she is on F2. H1 will go in effect on Oct 1st. My main cause of concern was: should I submit DS-260 now or wait and submit in October.

If I was in your shoes and I have a mid-range to a high CN, I would wait till the H4 is filed before submitting the DS-260 form.

Thanks so much Simon, we were going to ask for new cards only but keep our existing numbers. we just want cards without that work authorization line...

I agree with Simon's suggestion of ticking NO with regards to the SSN question. To get a new card issued, you simply walk into the nearest SSA building with your GC and request for a replacement card.

Another query…when asked if you've ever had a us visa cancelled…should we say yes if every time we renew our work visas the officers stamp cancelled without prejudice on the expiring visa before issuing the new one? should we respond yes and explain this or simply say no cause we've never had a real issue warranting visa cancelation? thanks guys

I would say yes, and indicate it was cancelled without prejudice.

You don't have to include Cancelled Without Prejudice on the form when answering this question, the USCIS states that "Cancelled Without Prejudice or CWOP, is a stamp a U.S. Embassy or Consulate puts on a visa when there is a mistake in the visa or the visa is a duplicate visa (two of the same kind)" and therefore not viewed as a cancellation of a visa.
Thanks so much Hammer, that makes sense.

I agree with Simon's suggestion of ticking NO with regards to the SSN question. To get a new card issued, you simply walk into the nearest SSA building with your GC and request for a replacement card.
Thanks a lot for your advice mom. Will do!

Should be my last questions on the DS 260, I promise :):
1. Husband's mom does not have a full birthdate. Her Ids say 00/00/1952. Do we say we don't know her birthday or should we just enter 1952 and leave the rest blank?
2. We will decline receiving new social security cards. Do we still check yes on the permission to disclose our info to SS and homeland security or do we check no? What did you guys check for that one?
Thanks a lot!

Hi mom, thought I would post an update, I did receive my email from KCC couple of days ago, contrary to what the advisor at KCC had told me before so thanks for that!

Was hoping someone might know the answer my question - I may have to travel in Jan 2015 and based on 2014 VB I'm guessing I would of submitted my AOS pack by Nov 2014. So I have been reading up on the Advanced parole doc and have gotten a bit confused.
The USCIS instructions for this form states that if on an L-1 visa, then a person can generally travel and re enter without needing the advance parole doc.
1) So does this mean I could travel and come back on my L-1 like normal and my AOS would not be considered abandoned after I left the country?
2) I read elsewhere that if I did get the advance parole doc and used it to re-enter the states (along with showing the L-1 or instead of L1) then I give up my L-1 visa at that point, so if for whatever reason my AOS is denied, I become out of status..is this true?

I may have misunderstood something so would appreciate any help here, thanks!

Hi mom, thought I would post an update, I did receive my email from KCC couple of days ago, contrary to what the advisor at KCC had told me before so thanks for that!

Was hoping someone might know the answer my question - I may have to travel in Jan 2015 and based on 2014 VB I'm guessing I would of submitted my AOS pack by Nov 2014. So I have been reading up on the Advanced parole doc and have gotten a bit confused.
The USCIS instructions for this form states that if on an L-1 visa, then a person can generally travel and re enter without needing the advance parole doc.
1) So does this mean I could travel and come back on my L-1 like normal and my AOS would not be considered abandoned after I left the country?
2) I read elsewhere that if I did get the advance parole doc and used it to re-enter the states (along with showing the L-1 or instead of L1) then I give up my L-1 visa at that point, so if for whatever reason my AOS is denied, I become out of status..is this true?

I may have misunderstood something so would appreciate any help here, thanks!

Glad to know you got the email at last.

1. Yes you can. L1 visa is a dual intent visa (just like H1B). Holders of those visas can travel without the AP card and their cases will not be considered abandoned.

2. Again because you have a dual intent visa, I believe you get to revert back to your L1 status, not the same for someone on a F or J visa for instance.

Ok that's clearer thanks.

So then if I don't need this advanced parole doc is there even any point applying for it?

I also read that the advanced parole and EAD are now one card, so if I don't submit the advanced parole application, I'm guessing I would just get the EAD card on its own?

And lastly, with regards to the EAD, when exactly is this supposed to be used? I mean to say, In my case I'm on an L-1 and already working, so would it mean that when I receive the EAD I can leave my current employer and go work for someone else with this card even before receiving the GC or even before having the interview with FO?

I am just trying to understand the point of the EAD, because once the GC would come through I could change employers anyway and wouldn't need the EAD for that? So what is the point of it?

Thanks so much!

Glad to know you got the email at last.

1. Yes you can. L1 visa is a dual intent visa (just like H1B). Holders of those visas can travel without the AP card and their cases will not be considered abandoned.

2. Again because you have a dual intent visa, I believe you get to revert back to your L1 status, not the same for someone on a F or J visa for instance.

Ok that's clearer thanks.

So then if I don't need this advanced parole doc is there even any point applying for it?

I also read that the advanced parole and EAD are now one card, so if I don't submit the advanced parole application, I'm guessing I would just get the EAD card on its own?

And lastly, with regards to the EAD, when exactly is this supposed to be used? I mean to say, In my case I'm on an L-1 and already working, so would it mean that when I receive the EAD I can leave my current employer and go work for someone else with this card even before receiving the GC or even before having the interview with FO?

I am just trying to understand the point of the EAD, because once the GC would come through I could change employers anyway and wouldn't need the EAD for that? So what is the point of it?

Thanks so much!

Yes, the AP/EAD card is now a combo card. If an applicant applies for only one of the benefits it offers, the exact benefit it covers will be stated on the card. The EAD card IMO is usually not quite useful for DV based AOS applications because of the time frame involved in adjudicating the cases. EAD/AP card is usually approved about in about 2 - 3 months, more or less the same time frame it used to take to approve the AOS application. It is useful for people doing other types of AOS, as their cases could take much more time to get adjudicated.

However, I really don't understand why you would want to apply for an EAD card when you're already on L1 working visa. The EAD card could be useful for someone on a non working visa as it enables them to pick up an offer of employment while waiting for the GC application to be approved.

In your case if you apply for an EAD card and use it to take up a new job with a different employer, if God forbid your AOS application is denied, you will technically be out of status unless you're able to get back with your L1 sponsored employer. My suggestion would be to forget about the EAD card, stick it out with your employer and leave after getting your GC if you're already tired of working for them.

Quick update from me: Submitted our DS-260 forms, sent DV payments & took all of our vaccinations. Now we wait for KCC confirmation letter (right?) and do our Medicals on Thursday. AOS paperwork +translations and whatnot mostly done (will only mail them the first week of September though, per mom's). Told you guys I was going full steam into DV mode last week, LOL. Wishing everyone a splendid week!

Quick update from me: Submitted our DS-260 forms, sent DV payments & took all of our vaccinations. Now we wait for KCC confirmation letter (right?) and do our Medicals on Thursday. AOS paperwork +translations and whatnot mostly done (will only mail them the first week of September though, per mom's). Told you guys I was going full steam into DV mode last week, LOL. Wishing everyone a splendid week!

Cool! I see you're now going at full speed, that's good. Did you confirm with an immigration attorney the additional forms you need due to your visa type?

Cool! I see you're now going at full speed, that's good. Did you confirm with an immigration attorney the additional forms you need due to your visa type?
Yes mom, not with an attorney, but I did confirm that we need to submit the following additional forms: I-360, I-508 and I-566. Posting this list in case it serves someone else on a G4 visa like us.