• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winners from Sri Lanka

According to the latest data and estimates you will be fine. There should be a rapid increase in the movement of cases on the next few VBs.

Thank you very much britsimon for replying me. I was really worrying about this.. Now I have kind of a relief :)

Hi Vihan, I thought sticking to the checklist provided in the Colombo US embassy was enough. But this is something out of the topic in the instruction set. Please can you name the compete set of documents that has to be taken from the sponsor to be provided at the interview (And also can you tell us the relevant procedures for a person (Sri Lankan) who would like to get a sponsor's help to prove the financial ability).

Thanks

Please note: This is only for the US embassy Colombo.

Get I-134 form filled from someone willing to sponsor you. You may fill the item # 3rd of I-134 form and email it to your sponsor (Sponsor must be a US citizen). Then the sponsor would fill other parts of the form and get a printout and sign it. You don't need that original I-134, signed by the sponsor. So ask sponsor to scan the signed I-134 ( contains 2 pages) and his most recent W2 ( contains only one page) and then email it to you.Then you can get printouts of that and produce at the interview. Visa officer doesn't ask you for original doc and the soft copy even.

Dioode,

You have received many very clear and specific replies to many questions you have asked. However, you seem to be searching for a exact list of things that will guarantee your interview goes smoothly. The reality is that your interview will be specific to you and depending on how the CO is feeling it could be over in 5 minutes or they could ask for additional information. Respectfully, the best advice is to think about the answers you have received, read more of other peoples questions and answers, and be well prepared with as much documentation as you can get. Chances are you won't be asked for half of the stuff you have ready, but having it will improve your confidence and make the outcome easier. At the end of the day YOU are responsible for YOUR interview so it is time to prepare with that mindset.

Hey britsimon thanks for the heads up :). Its just me being keen. :D

Get I-134 form filled from someone willing to sponsor you. You may fill the item # 3rd of I-134 form and email it to your sponsor (Sponsor must be a US citizen). Then the sponsor would fill other parts of the form and get a printout and sign it. You don't need that original I-134, signed by the sponsor. So ask sponsor to scan the signed I-134 ( contains 2 pages) and his most recent W2 ( contains only one page) and then email it to you.Then you can get printouts of that and produce at the interview. Visa officer doesn't ask you for original doc and the soft copy even.

Thanks a lot vihan. This will be my next move. I always though about having an original. This will be very much easier.

No, the sponsor can be a GC holder as well, or for that matter even a H or other work visa holder who can show the needed income. W2 does not show the 'full' annual income, back it up (if you can) with a salary slip which show the actual monthly/annual income. But in most cases the salary shown in W2 is enough.

Best!

Green card without I 134 form

My relation is in US but he is retired now.
1.0 Can i show my own money in interview?
2.0 If yes what is the procedier?
3.0 He has pension so how i show his income?

My interview is in next 11th FEB.

March VB

According to the March VB Asia Case No. is 4325 which is a very low number. What can we expect by the end of 30th September. Is any one knows about the maximum case number they planning to interview.

Case no. 10XXXX can have hopes?????

you seem to have highest case in asia of 1lakh i think u have many xxx in your case
According to the March VB Asia Case No. is 4325 which is a very low number. What can we expect by the end of 30th September. Is any one knows about the maximum case number they planning to interview.

Case no. 10XXXX can have hopes?????

Educational Requirement Dilemma

Hey Guys!

I have a Dilemma which i'm facing and cannot find an answer to, so any honest input would be really appreciated.
The Educational Requirement for Sri Lanka is the GCE A/Ls, my scenario is that i never did the local syllabus, I did the LONDON GCE O/Ls, then instead of doing my A/Ls, I went on to do a University foundation program, and completed my Bachelors degree in Australia.
My friend states I'm still not eligible as I don't have the A/Ls. Is it actually true? I did go to a proper University in Australia, which is recognized bythe Australian government and the University Grants commission in Sri Lanka.

what do you guys say? Britsimon, SussieQQQ, any inputs?

Thanks again guys!

Hey Guys!

I have a Dilemma which i'm facing and cannot find an answer to, so any honest input would be really appreciated.
The Educational Requirement for Sri Lanka is the GCE A/Ls, my scenario is that i never did the local syllabus, I did the LONDON GCE O/Ls, then instead of doing my A/Ls, I went on to do a University foundation program, and completed my Bachelors degree in Australia.
My friend states I'm still not eligible as I don't have the A/Ls. Is it actually true? I did go to a proper University in Australia, which is recognized bythe Australian government and the University Grants commission in Sri Lanka.

what do you guys say? Britsimon, SussieQQQ, any inputs?

Thanks again guys!

I'm answering here rather than the PM so that others can input also.

Strictly speaking I think your friend is correct. You are supposed to have attained the 12 year High School level (which in UK terms is passes in 3 A levels). Some interview accounts have mentioned having Bachelor documents but the CO insisting on seeing the high school equivalent, even though the Bachelors exceeds that level. However, I imagine others have "got away" with a similar situation and just shown Bachelors level education. The UFP program is a 1 year course - and that means it is not quite equivalent to the 2 year courses for A levels. So - unless

So - I think it is a gamble - partly depending on the CO you get on the day. They could (I believe) refuse you, and if they do, there is no appeal process.

One thought that comes to mind is perhaps qualifying through work experience. Have you looked into that? What sort of work do you do and how long have you been doing that?

I'm answering here rather than the PM so that others can input also.

Strictly speaking I think your friend is correct. You are supposed to have attained the 12 year High School level (which in UK terms is passes in 3 A levels). Some interview accounts have mentioned having Bachelor documents but the CO insisting on seeing the high school equivalent, even though the Bachelors exceeds that level. However, I imagine others have "got away" with a similar situation and just shown Bachelors level education. The UFP program is a 1 year course - and that means it is not quite equivalent to the 2 year courses for A levels. So - unless

So - I think it is a gamble - partly depending on the CO you get on the day. They could (I believe) refuse you, and if they do, there is no appeal process.

One thought that comes to mind is perhaps qualifying through work experience. Have you looked into that? What sort of work do you do and how long have you been doing that?

My Degree is in Logistics and I have been a Logistics Coordinator for 4 Years. My foundation program was 2 years, equivalent to an Associate Degree, its was called a University transfer Program, which was an american program and i have 60 CP from that.

So my Education goes like this, School 11 years ( O/L), UTP 2 Years, (60Cp), Bachelors ( 3 Years).

My Degree is in Logistics and I have been a Logistics Coordinator for 4 Years. My foundation program was 2 years, equivalent to an Associate Degree, its was called a University transfer Program, which was an american program and i have 60 CP from that.

So my Education goes like this, School 11 years ( O/L), UTP 2 Years, (60Cp), Bachelors ( 3 Years).

OK so some good news in there.

Firstly the years in school is not how they do the comarison. In the UK kids start school earlier than the USA (and some other countries) so as you say, by 16, most kids will have completed 11 years of school. However, they need to do two further years at college to get to the level of US High school.

Second, You mentioned "University foundation program" and that is a known British program - 1 year. So, since the American UTP is 2 years they might accept that on top of the UK O levels. I'm still nervous about that. Again, a really picky CO might have a problem with it.

However, the other way to qualify might be open to you. Qualifying through work experience is generally harder than education, but there are some Logistics roles that are at the correct level to qualify you. If you search O*Net on logistics you find roles such as Logistics Analyst or Logistics Engineer that are at high enough level. You might have to check whether your work responsibilities align well with one of those titles so that you can describe your role as an analyst for example, even though your current title is different. Your related degree and then 4 years of progression will work well together to paint a picture of a logistics professional.

If I were in your shoes I would attend the interview prepared with both education and work experience proof. Try with education, and you may get a simple yes. However, if that doesn't work you can have a go with the work experience. It will be obvious to the CO that you should qualify, so it is just a matter of giving them some proof so that they can exercise their discretion in the way they view the overall case.

There is a forum member who successfully interviewed with work experience so that thread might help you prepare. Here is the thread - check out post 11 in that thread.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?561899-Successful-!!!!-Thankyou-all-!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Simon,

Thanks for the tip Mate, My experience aligns some what to the logistics analyst which is a bright outlook category, svp 7-8. Fingers crossed that the educational thing will work, as i have the University Grants Commission evaluation/ recognition letter of my degree too, but shall keep you updated with any new info i can gather.

P.S, My passport states my occupation as a Logistics Coordinator, as i had to issue work certification to get that included in the passport. I dunno if it helps but thought of mentioning it.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Simon,

Thanks for the tip Mate, My experience aligns some what to the logistics analyst which is a bright outlook category, svp 7-8. Fingers crossed that the educational thing will work, as i have the University Grants Commission evaluation/ recognition letter of my degree too, but shall keep you updated with any new info i can gather.

P.S, My passport states my occupation as a Logistics Coordinator, as i had to issue work certification to get that included in the passport. I dunno if it helps but thought of mentioning it.

cheers

OK - it all sounds good. Good luck with it!