• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winners from Sri Lanka

@Nav2014

It pains me to hear another who is struggling due to change of O/L reqmt. Yes A/L seems to be the new reqmt. and I think it is an ad hoc decision by the Embassy w/o much reasoning. I can only speculate why, that it may be due to the exam/edu depts. bungling related to O/L exam and its results in past few years casting some doubts on its 'standards' and the 'pass marks'!!
I think lowering of S cut off marks for some subjects is the reason, I dont think standards has gone down. US embassy should have adopted a case by case basis in evaluating it with detailed results/marks, they seems to have just killed the whole thing!

This is very unjust especially for those who did it in the by gone years when the standards were rock solid. If you check around, for most US universities still to this day the min. reqmt for admission from SL is O/L!!, with O/L and good ACT/SAT and TOEFL you can get even good scholarships. If you have SL A/Ls you can get credit transfers!!. This is why I say US Embassy in CMB is unjust, they should have adopted a case by case basis for few ppl who have only O/L s.

Coming back to your specific case, are you saying that your wife has only 2 A/L s w/o English? Then, per current guidelines she is not qualified. How long ago was her O/L s? has she got C s and better, especially for math, sc & 1st lang.? what is she now? has she got a work related tertiary diploma for her to try the work qualification route? Give some more info.

Best!

Thanks for this post and the one before it. The new requirements sound unfair and the way they were introduced was cruel...

2013 sri lankan winners

2013 sri lankan winners pls advise regarding education qualifications who already faced the interview lately.thnx

Thanks for this post and the one before it. The new requirements sound unfair and the way they were introduced was cruel...

Hi NuvF

She has done her GCE A/L on 2002 & that time there are 3 compulsory subjects excluding Genral English. below is her result.

GCE A/L 2002

Business Studies - C Economics -S
Accounting - F General English -S

GCE O/L 1999

Religion -D Helth Science -C
Sinhala -C Commerce -C
Science -C Art -C
Maths -C English -S
Social Study -C

Currently she is following Diploma of "Pre-School & Nursery" & this will be finished before the interview, she has working experiance with regards to the Cake & wedding cake struture making since 2004 but we cannot prove it as she does not have certificate it( she done a course ) only hand experiance.

Is there any possibility of convince the officer at interview with above information & DV applied before this education changes.

Regarding the cut-off number

The cut-off number for November is 2500 !! That means only 700 Asian candidates will be interviewed in November.... Ohhh God!! My number is 2014AS00020XXX :-(

I think you guys will get your interviews toward the end of Aug or Sept 14. Remember the highest # that we know is 27xxx. In DV-13, it has >16k selectee and it is not enough to fulfill the Asia quota and it goes current in August. That mean it need at least 18k to fulfill its regional quota. In DV14, it select >23k and if you minus 23k - 18k it is 5k. If you fall on this 5k range then you really need some luck to get your interview. Let calculate case # 20k, whether it is within the 5k range. 23k (total selectees in DV14) x 20k (selectee case #) / 27k (max selectees # reported so far) = 17k. So case # 20k will get their interview toward the end of DV 14. This is an estimate of course, so any estimate come with assumption and the following is the assumption for this estimation.

1. Holes are evenly distributed.
2. The pursue and rejection rate is the same as DV13.
3. The increase of case # is cause by less derivates per case # and not more holes (15%).

So stay tune and monitor the VB each month and hope it progress as estimated or better.

I think you guys will get your interviews toward the end of Aug or Sept 14. Remember the highest # that we know is 27xxx. In DV-13, it has >16k selectee and it is not enough to fulfill the Asia quota and it goes current in August. That mean it need at least 18k to fulfill its regional quota. In DV14, it select >23k and if you minus 23k - 18k it is 5k. If you fall on this 5k range then you really need some luck to get your interview. Let calculate case # 20k, whether it is within the 5k range. 23k (total selectees in DV14) x 20k (selectee case #) / 27k (max selectees # reported so far) = 17k. So case # 20k will get their interview toward the end of DV 14. This is an estimate of course, so any estimate come with assumption and the following is the assumption for this estimation.

1. Holes are evenly distributed.
2. The pursue and rejection rate is the same as DV13.
3. The increase of case # is cause by less derivates per case # and not more holes (15%).

So stay tune and monitor the VB each month and hope it progress as estimated or better.

Hi thank you for the prompt reply.i need some help with my education as i dont have AL . Thinking to apply with my experience as a entreprenuer for 20 yrs. so i keep praying.

Hi thank you for the prompt reply.i need some help with my education as i dont have AL . Thinking to apply with my experience as a entreprenuer for 20 yrs. so i keep praying.

Yes, Sri Lanka needs AL if you use education to qualify. In your case, you need to prove that you have at least 2 years experience in last 5 years. You mentioned you are entreprenuer for 20 years, you need to find out whether your kind of jobs are acceptable under the visa requirement.

http://www.onetonline.org/

Listing your experience as "Entrepreneur" is too generic - it could mean many things. For example, a hot dog salesman in Times Square might describe himself as an entrepreneur because he owns his own cart - and therefore is a "businessman". However that wouild NOT be a qualifying role as far as O*Net would be concerned. If on the other hand the guy expanded and owned 100 hot dog carts and employed 200 staff in his business then it is likely he could demonstrate that his role within the business was qualifying (as a manager of staff, doing corporate administration, executing contracts with the city and so on). Do you see the difference? It is his activities/role within the business that might allow him to align that role to a job considered "qualifying" - and then he would need to show well documented proof of those activities and a successful business.

Listing your experience as "Entrepreneur" is too generic - it could mean many things. For example, a hot dog salesman in Times Square might describe himself as an entrepreneur because he owns his own cart - and therefore is a "businessman". However that wouild NOT be a qualifying role as far as O*Net would be concerned. If on the other hand the guy expanded and owned 100 hot dog carts and employed 200 staff in his business then it is likely he could demonstrate that his role within the business was qualifying (as a manager of staff, doing corporate administration, executing contracts with the city and so on). Do you see the difference? It is his activities/role within the business that might allow him to align that role to a job considered "qualifying" - and then he would need to show well documented proof of those activities and a successful business.

Yes sir / mam
I totally agree with you.i will prepare docs to qualify as a GM in my business and submit a file.anyway i will giv,e my best shot for the sake of my kids

Yes sir / mam
I totally agree with you.i will prepare docs to qualify as a GM in my business and submit a file.anyway i will giv,e my best shot for the sake of my kids

OK great. Get as much supporting evidence as you can such as affadavits from staff/directors of your business, your accountant and so on. Present the case as formally as possible (in a nice file, with all the copies prepared etc. Imagine you are trying to secure a business contract or loan for your business - it all needs to look very professional - and then make sure you attend the interview looking as businesslike as possible - first impressions count.

Hi britsimon!
my case number is 2014AS000162XX(sri lanka)
when will be the possible date for my interview?

That is a high(ish) number. Last year (DV2013) Asia went up to 9850 in July then went current for the last two months. Based on that, you would expect your interview to be in August or September 2014. This year could be different, but nevertheless, it is hard to imagine that number being current much faster than that.

Can a DV2014 winner apply for DV2015?

As my number is 2014AS00020XXX, I'm not sure whether I'll have an interview or not!! Could anybody please let me know that can I apply now for the DV2015.
Thanks in advance.

Anyone knows what is highest case number seen in srilanka ?? Most of post have high srilankan case number as i see here

Hello, i'm a DV 2014 winner and my CN is 18xxx from SL. yesterday i got a chance to share some experience with a DV 2012 SL winner and his experience in US. He is 40yrs of age and seems honest. he told me that the life in US is not so beautiful as we dream.. He is married and went there with his small daughter and pregnant wife.. there he had to face so many problems when finding a place to live since accommodation is very expensive. anyhow he has managed to get a basement in a building for rent. it's some kind of a small hall and kitchen, washroom, rooms were separated by interiors.. There are odd jobs like working in filling stations,snacks shops etc. he has got USD7.25 per hour. Most of the employers who are providing odd jobs restricted the weekly hours of working up to 40 hrs, because if an employee works for an employer more than 40hrs per week, employer will be bound to provide free insurance and other incentives to the employees. He mentally got down since there wasn't anyone to take care his child and pregnant wife when he went to work.. Also he told me that the foolish thing that he did was taking his family with him. He advised me if i got visa, myself to go first and take my wife once i got settled before exceeding visa period.. also he is telling majority of the people in US have vehicles and if you need to go to the retail shop it's away from about 5 or 6km from your home, not like every place in Sri Lanka. Also neighbors are not so friendly like Sri Lankan people and some time they don't know who is living next to their house. Also told me there are Sri Lankan people in US who are very helpful and kind hearts, also there are Sri Lankans whose hearts are filled with jealousy and all other bad things. Finally he advise me to go and study there(while doing some odd jobs) and then you will be able to get a good permanent job, then you will be able to make your life beautiful.. i'm sharing this not to discourage you but to encourage you to plan everything before you move to US.. it's true that economically US is the best place to live comparing to Sri Lanka. But socially and culturally SL is the best. As Sri Lankans actually we don't like to be isolated, we always like to interfere with some one. So all my friends please plan for the best and move to US. please do go if you got visa , because if i got visa me too definitely go..:)
Also he told me that if you have any educational qualification you can get it certified through an International Authority (he can't remember the name) which will be valid in US.. because when you went for an interview in US, you just cannot say that " i have a management degree in SL(for an example)" , then the employer will ask up to which qualification level it is equivalent in US. That's why you need to get it certified.
the person who shared his experience is currently in SL and he is expecting to go US or Dhubai on next month. i'm expecting to call him again and will update you. If you need to know anything please let me know.

Hello, i'm a DV 2014 winner and my CN is 18xxx from SL. yesterday i got a chance to share some experience with a DV 2012 SL winner and his experience in US. He is 40yrs of age and seems honest. he told me that the life in US is not so beautiful as we dream.. He is married and went there with his small daughter and pregnant wife.. there he had to face so many problems when finding a place to live since accommodation is very expensive. anyhow he has managed to get a basement in a building for rent. it's some kind of a small hall and kitchen, washroom, rooms were separated by interiors.. There are odd jobs like working in filling stations,snacks shops etc. he has got USD7.25 per hour. Most of the employers who are providing odd jobs restricted the weekly hours of working up to 40 hrs, because if an employee works for an employer more than 40hrs per week, employer will be bound to provide free insurance and other incentives to the employees. He mentally got down since there wasn't anyone to take care his child and pregnant wife when he went to work.. Also he told me that the foolish thing that he did was taking his family with him. He advised me if i got visa, myself to go first and take my wife once i got settled before exceeding visa period.. also he is telling majority of the people in US have vehicles and if you need to go to the retail shop it's away from about 5 or 6km from your home, not like every place in Sri Lanka. Also neighbors are not so friendly like Sri Lankan people and some time they don't know who is living next to their house. Also told me there are Sri Lankan people in US who are very helpful and kind hearts, also there are Sri Lankans whose hearts are filled with jealousy and all other bad things. Finally he advise me to go and study there(while doing some odd jobs) and then you will be able to get a good permanent job, then you will be able to make your life beautiful.. i'm sharing this not to discourage you but to encourage you to plan everything before you move to US.. it's true that economically US is the best place to live comparing to Sri Lanka. But socially and culturally SL is the best. As Sri Lankans actually we don't like to be isolated, we always like to interfere with some one. So all my friends please plan for the best and move to US. please do go if you got visa , because if i got visa me too definitely go..:)
Also he told me that if you have any educational qualification you can get it certified through an International Authority (he can't remember the name) which will be valid in US.. because when you went for an interview in US, you just cannot say that " i have a management degree in SL(for an example)" , then the employer will ask up to which qualification level it is equivalent in US. That's why you need to get it certified.
the person who shared his experience is currently in SL and he is expecting to go US or Dhubai on next month. i'm expecting to call him again and will update you. If you need to know anything please let me know.

This issue has come up before. For anyone expecting they can go to the USA and everything will be like a Hollywood movie then they are in for a shock. America is a place where people can do well, but there is also a lot of poverty and hardship in America. The economy has been through a difficult few years which has seen many American families lose their homes and have terrible struggles. Even if the best of economic times, not everyone will find it possible to make a decent living. Many Americans appear to be living a good life but are up to their eyeballs in debt. Don't be fooled.

So many times we have read posts from people posting questions about how to get around the minimum amounts of money required to avoid the public charge issues. Well the reality is, you need money, you need significant luck or help and you need to be prepared to struggle and accept what is available.

I know some people who moved to the UK fro Spain. They are both qualified architects with several years working experience in Spain. However the Spanish economy is awful right now and they could not find work or opportunities there so they moved to the UK. The father moved here several months before the mother and 2 children. He managed to find a low paying job at a hotel (night shifts) and after some time he bought his family across. So far the mother hasn't found work. That is a big difference to how they used to live and even with experience and education they have had to accept whatever was available. Their story shows what moving to another country can be like.

So back to America - be realistic about your chances. As people have said, if you a coming from a poor country then even a tough life in America might be a step up, but for many people the first couple of years will be hard and there are not many safety nets in America - it is up to you to find a way to make it work. Remember for many immigrants to America they are obtaining either work based or family based visas - in both cases they have a head start. DV applicants generally don't have those advantages, so before you move there with starry eyes, ask yourself do you really have it in you do this...