• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2014 Lottery. Age 21 Issue.

thanks a lot, friends !!
I will wait until the 2NL: if the interview will be < may 6th, I will do nothing (just prepare the documentation regarding CSPA and the calculation, in caso of an ignorant CO).
Otherwise, I will contact the consulate, to anticipate the interview (periodo may 1st - may 6th), or let them choose if we need to anticipate.
We've scheduled to enter in the USA, for the first entry, on september 11th... should be ok.
What u think about ?

These memos seems to be the latest on this
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/CSPA2_pub.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...-Based_Priority_Date_Retention_Final_Memo.pdf

Dont worry about the date of intvw., age as of May 1st is 'frozen' till 9/30.

Best!

thanks a lot, friends !!
I will wait until the 2NL: if the interview will be < may 6th, I will do nothing (just prepare the documentation regarding CSPA and the calculation, in caso of an ignorant CO).
Otherwise, I will contact the consulate, to anticipate the interview (periodo may 1st - may 6th), or let them choose if we need to anticipate.
We've scheduled to enter in the USA, for the first entry, on september 11th... should be ok.
What u think about ?

These memos seems to be the latest on this
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/CSPA2_pub.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...-Based_Priority_Date_Retention_Final_Memo.pdf

Dont worry about the date of intvw., age as of May 1st is 'frozen' till 9/30.

Best!

I think you may be mistaken. I can't see where they have changed anything in ralation to FV and the first memo reaffirmes the position. It says:-

"Section 3 of the CSPA also applies to derivative DV applicants. Because the DV
application and adjudication process differs substantially from the application and adjudication
process for preference categories, the treatment of DV derivatives will also be somewhat
different. For the purpose of determining the period during which the “petition is pending,”
Service officers should use the period between the first day of the DV mail-in application period
for the program year in which the principal alien has qualified and the date on the letter notifying
the principal alien that his/her application has been selected (the congratulatory letter). That
period should then be subtracted from the derivative alien’s age on the date the visa became
available to the principal alien"

That means the child gets a period of time deducted from their age on the first day of the month in which they become current. The period that is deducted is from the beginning of the lottery entry period (2nd Octover 2012 for DV2014) to the day when results are announced (May 1st 2013). For DV2014 that period is 211 days. So the applicant's child can deduct that number of days from their age on the first day they go current.

I think you may be mistaken. I can't see where they have changed anything .....

Sorry for the confusion. I should have written....... 'CSPA age' as of May 1st is 'frozen' till 9/30 !
(in general it is frozen for 1 yr, but for those who get PD retrogression, it can be more, provided an i-485 is filed before retrogression happen. Its explained in those memos especially for EB and FB GCs)

Best!

Sorry for the confusion. I should have written....... 'CSPA age' as of May 1st is 'frozen' till 9/30 !
(in general it is frozen for 1 yr, but for those who get PD retrogression, it can be more, provided an i-485 is filed before retrogression happen. Its explained in those memos especially for EB and FB GCs)

Best!

Right, but for DV it isn't one year - it is 211 days this year...

Right, but for DV it isn't one year - it is 211 days this year...

Oh, I see...you are confused about the 'May 1st'!!
I am referring to May 1st of 2014, that is when she is current!

The CSPA age (if it is below 21) as of 'current' date, is safe (frozen) for 1 year to the future, irrespective of when is the interview date or visa issue date. But an application for either CP or AoS has to be filed within that year. (for DV of course the limit is Sept. 30)
Got it?

Best!

The CSPA age (if it is below 21) as of 'current' date, is safe (frozen) for 1 year to the future, irrespective of when is the interview date or visa issue date. But an application for either CP or AoS has to be filed within that year. (for DV of course the limit is Sept. 30)
Got it?

Best!

+1

Yes Simon, the calculated CSPA age, if under 21, is now frozen for 1 year. The applicant will have upto a year to process their GC, but for a DV applicant, that CSPA age is only frozen till the end of the applicable FY.

For instance in the case of deutmark's daughter, her calculated CSPA age as of May 1st when his CN becomes current is 11 months and 25 days, that age is now technically frozen (from May 1st) for 1 year if this was a family sponsored application, but because it is DV sponsored, it is frozen till Sept 2014, the end if the FY.

So what u suggest, guy, should I call the consulate to arrange an earlier interview ?
dilemma.........

You can call the embassy if it's going to give you some peace of mind and confirm wether or not they will move up the interview, no harm in doing that.

However like we've posted before, it really doesn't matter whichever day in May the interview takes place. The calculated CSPA age becomes frozen till the end of the FY. But you don't have to take the words of anonymous faceless posters as the gospel truth, call the embassy to ensure you've covered all the bases that needs covering.

+1

Yes Simon, the calculated CSPA age, if under 21, is now frozen for 1 year. The applicant will have upto a year to process their GC, but for a DV applicant, that CSPA age is only frozen till the end of the applicable FY.

For instance in the case of deutmark's daughter, her calculated CSPA age as of May 1st when his CN becomes current is 11 months and 25 days, that age is now technically frozen (from May 1st) for 1 year if this was a family sponsored application, but because it is DV sponsored, it is frozen till Sept 2014, the end if the FY.

I am confused now. So that means my age is frozen too? I was 20 years old when I received 1st NL on 1st May 2013. I turned 21 on July 2013. My interview date with my family is on 29 May 2014. Should I call embassy to schedule a sooner interview date?

I am confused now. So that means my age is frozen too? I was 20 years old when I received 1st NL on 1st May 2013. I turned 21 on July 2013. My interview date with my family is on 29 May 2014. Should I call embassy to schedule a sooner interview date?

No, I'm sorry yours is not frozen. Your calculated CSPA age is already over 21, I believe this was calculated in a couple of other threads and you were already told you've aged out. This unfortunately does not apply to you.

You can do the calculation yourself, I posted a couple of CSPA calculator sites in one of my previous posts pm this thread. If you do the calculation yourself and it shows your CSPA age as under 21 as at May 1st 2014, then you will qualify.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm sorry yours is not frozen. Your calculated CSPA age is already over 21, I believe this was calculated in a couple of other threads and you were already told you've aged out. This unfortunately does not apply to you.

You can do the calculation yourself, I posted a couple of CSPA calculator sites in one of my previous posts pm this thread. If you do the calculation yourself and it shows your CSPA age as under 21 as at May 1st 2014, then you will qualify.

Oh, Ok then.
This is the link
but what is Priority Date, Approval Date and VB Current Date?

Priority Date: 10/02/2012 (First day of the eDV registration)
Approval Date: 05/01/2013 (First day of the DV result release)
VB Current Date: 05/01/2014 (First day of the month in which your CN is shown as current on the VB)

Oh, Ok then.
This is the link but what is Priority Date, Approval Date and VB Current Date?

Got it?

Best!

+1

Ahhh I see what you meant in the beginning - thanks both for the clarification!

hi mate!
If u remember, my 21 y.o. daughter is safe due the CSPA for just 6 days (thanks britsimon and other frds for helping me with calculation)
We received the 2NL, and her name is included.
We are also in the CEAC (see image), me my wife and my daughter too.
What u think, it's all ok ?
Did they already check, or there will be a red flag in the documents sent to the consulate ?
Thanks...

http://i61.tinypic.com/25jl1c8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
how I can check my status in CEAC folks.
I chose "Immigration Visa" and after I enter my Cn and the system keep saying "Invalid Immigrant Visa Case Number"
what I am doing wrong?