• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 Program-Online Registration October 4 - NOV 2ND, 2011.

In the year 2010 The Ethiopian postal service made $350,000 thro' Dv applications..This shows that it has always been good business for those who have been keen to tap into it.

http://ethiopiaforums.com/playing-the-u-s-dv-lottery-in-ethiopia

That's if it continues to survive. Some members of Congress have described the DV-Lottery as a "national security threat." Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) re-introduced the Security and Fairness Enhancement (SAFE) for America Act, which would eliminate the program.

That's if it continues to survive. Some members of Congress have described the DV-Lottery as a "national security threat." Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) re-introduced the Security and Fairness Enhancement (SAFE) for America Act, which would eliminate the program.

I doubt congress will end Dv because it is said that the senate has passed a measure to charge $30 for applicatons.

By MIRIAM JORDAN
Only eight million people tried to win a green card in the latest U.S. diversity-visa lottery, the State Department said, compared with a record 15 million last year.

That figure could slide further in coming years, because the Senate recently passed a measure to charge a fee for entering the electronic draw, starting with next year's drawing.

Source http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204358004577030370327874672.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt congress will end Dv because it is said that the senate has passed a measure to charge $30 for applicatons.

That's not how the law making process works I'm afraid. Simply because the Senate passed a Bill in it's current form that will start charging a $30 fee does not mean that a Bill in the House of Representatives cannot be passed to end the program, the latter will simply nullify the $30 fee which will not go into effect because the program will be terminated if passed overall in both Houses.

The Bill is on track to eliminate the DV-Lottery, and has passed the Committee stage which is required before a vote. It was passed in it entirety with no amendments. This is opposed to the $30 fee amendment which was an ancillary issue to raise revenue to fund the Asylum Benefit programs and to "cover" the running of the lottery.

Neither Bills have any bearing on the outcome of the other. If the SAFE Act passes, the programs is eliminated irrespective of the progress for introducing the Amendment for a $30 entry fee, if the $30 entry fee Amendment is passed and the SAFE Act fails, then $30 is introduced and the DV-Program is continued until it's killed by something else on another basis.

The third option (and the best) is that both proposals are unsuccessful and the DV-Lottery remains as it is currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys i think we shud mind d way we discuss abt d SAFE for America Act/SAFE Act passes?cos d Bill is an illicit issue.

@kunato perhaps, maybe it because of the preparation for the yuletide/xmas season that s keeping mates/members away from the forum for now or what do you think?

@kunato no quams man?i can feel the celebration fiest that s coming up in December in this forum?cos the house has started experiencing/witnessing the boring part/season of this forum.Mates/members are busy now putting things in place for the fiest period which is really good.

I am still here!

Just trying to work and live as normal, but can't really focus 100% because the lottery is always in the back of my mind! :) That's ok though - it's a great thought when day's are long!

The forum helps me be patient because I love to read everyones posts and opinions. I am slowly putting together everything I need just in case I am lucky with the draw next year, and trying to save and think about what must happen if I get a number.

In the meantime, life goes on, summer is almost here and so is Christmas and holidays soon. There is certainly a balance between planning and living for now, AND planning for "just in case!" :)

My friends that know I have entered the lottery call it "the amazing race". So that is now what we call it at home :p I thought May was a long time away, but with Christmas break here soon, we will be into 2012 quickly.

Warm wishes

Q

....so many different users, from so many different countries, with so many different, unique stories....it's sometimes hard to tell fiction from reality... reading stories about multiple entries, marriages after the DV fact, documentation required.

I agree with you there Kunato - it's very interesting to read the different perspectives on here. I am new to this, and this is my first entry, but I have read posts from those who have been here for a long time trying, and I have much respect for that determination! :) The thread of Australian winners from last year is quiet now; they are all now remaking their new lives in the US. I hope there will be more Australians on here too eventually, but it doesn't matter the nationality; this is a diversity lottery after all.

And yes...I also think there is a lot of 'fiction' being written on these forums too!

In our house, if the lottery happens, which we hope one day it will, we will adjust our lives accordingly. We have lived there before so are very organised to go back again, to California. But if it doesn't happen, then we will adjust to staying here.

The excitement of 'what if?' though is a delicious thought! :)

Warm wishes

Q

Yep u guys re right @Qewty n @kunato.Dat s y d forum is educative/educatin n informative n enlightin.Its a proactive forum 2 b.We learn,we share ideas n we give advise.So dat makes it a forum blog?

Hey everyone i try not to think about the dv lottery a lot cause for us ( Fiance and I) if we win the visas great but if we don't oh well we have 10 years non immigration visas so we could visit the US whenever we want plus Christmas is right around the corner i have so many gifts to buy plus host a great christmas party.

Christmas is a great distraction yes! Time for the beach!

How wonderful you have a visa that you can visit when you like. A Green Card would make it much easier for us, as my huband has to get a new visa every time he wants to work in the US.

But time to think of Christmas, holiday season, family and summer treats!

Q