• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

greetings

new here but was not selected.been reading alot from this forum and love how people help one another.

Hello comrades,
I am in the process of securing an I - 134 from my host in the US but he asked me to tell him the minimum balance that should be in his accounts in order for the Affidavit. O.S(I-134) to hold wait and meaning. I understand he has to accompany the I - 134 with a bank statement, (correct me if am wrong)
Please advice me on how to go about this. I appreciate your assistance

Hello comrades,
I am in the process of securing an I - 134 from my host in the US but he asked me to tell him the minimum balance that should be in his accounts in order for the Affidavit. O.S(I-134) to hold wait and meaning. I understand he has to accompany the I - 134 with a bank statement, (correct me if am wrong)

Hey Family2133,

I'm "gate-crashing" the Kenyan forum (my apologies to my Kenyan friends lol) but felt compelled to answer your query.

In relation to the I-134 Affidavit of Support (others please feel free to correct me), there is no need for I-134 Affidavit of Support to be accompanied by your host's bank statements.

The assets (which includes your host's' money in their bank account ) can be stated on the I-134 form (look at Question No. 7 on the form) and that should suffice.

Curiously why are you going for the I-134 so early? Looking at your case number you wouldn't be current until approximately the end of the year if I'm not mistaken.

All the best!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Dear Momo,
I am so pleased with your willingness to help. I am chasing this form because (1)right now host is on vacation in Uganda and he will go back early August so I thought that he could fill it for me before he goes back , I don't know if that is possible(advice me).
(2) Looking at past statistics of 5 years back, my case number ( eleven thousand) has always been called in November so I expect to be current either in Nov or Dec this year.

Does he just need to list down the assets on the form without accompanying documents/proof of what has been listed, pls help me understand all the docs that has to accompany that I-134.
I appreciate your help
Hey Family2133,

I'm "gate-crashing" the Kenyan forum (my apologies to my Kenyan friends lol) but felt compelled to answer your query.

In relation to the I-134 Affidavit of Support (others please feel free to correct me), there is no need for I-134 Affidavit of Support to be accompanied by your host's bank statements.

The assets (which includes your host's' money in their bank account ) can be stated on the I-134 form (look at Question No. 7 on the form) and that should suffice.

Curiously why are you going for the I-134 so early? Looking at your case number you wouldn't be current until approximately the end of the year if I'm not mistaken.

All the best!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Dear Momo,
I am so pleased with your willingness to help. I am chasing this form because (1)right now host is on vacation in Uganda and he will go back early August so I thought that he could fill it for me before he goes back , I don't know if that is possible(advice me).
(2) Looking at past statistics of 5 years back, my case number ( eleven thousand) has always been called in November so I expect to be current either in Nov or Dec this year.

Does he just need to list down the assets on the form without accompanying documents/proof of what has been listed, pls help me understand all the docs that has to accompany that I-134.
I appreciate your help

Hello Family2133,

I'll guide you through (other members please feel free to correct me or have their input) the I-134 as it shows on mine for Question No.7 on the form specifically:

I derive an annual income of : (If self-employed, I have attached a copy of my last income tax return or report of commercial rating concern which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. See instructions for nature of evidence of net worth to be submitted.)

The question does not specifically state evidence required for employed persons and only for self-employed persons having to provide a copy of a tax return (which in my case my aunt/uncle have sent me).

However if you wish to put your mind at ease, you can ask your host to provide you with evidence of payslips/salary evidence over a year.

To my knowledge (unless I am mistaken - other forum members may correct me on this), the payslips in the USA normally detail/break down all the items such as pension contribution (social security), 401K (if the employer has this) etc. Again it isn't a must to provide a payslip because the instructions don't specify as such and when your security screening/background check is being done for the information you provided on your forms, they definitely check up on your host as well.

I have on deposit in savings banks in the United States

This is the item which I believe relates to your question. Your host needs to simply indicate the amount of money they have in their bank account(s). Bank statements are not needed as it is not specified here. Again the US Embassy can run a check on this if they need to.

I have other personal property, the reasonable value of which is

If your host has any assets, they should indicate this for this question.

I have stocks and bonds with the following market value, as indicated on the attached list, which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief

If your host has investments in stocks/bonds/shares etc. they should indicate this. With regards to the part about the attached list, if your host does hold stocks/bonds/shares then they can indicate it separately or provide evidence of these investments through things such as share certificates or bond certificates. My aunt/uncle have provided me with their original portfolio of holdings in case I am asked at the interview.

I have life insurance in the sum of

If your host has a life insurance policy, ask them to indicate the value of the policy for this question.

With a cash surrender value of

This is related to the life insurance policy question. To my knowledge the life insurance policy comes with a cash release (other forum members please correct me on this if necessary) so your host should indicate the value of this cash surrender.

I own real estate valued at

If your host owns a house in the USA, ask them to put the value of the property on the form (the price at which the house was purchased).

With mortgage(s) or other encumbrance(s) thereon amounting to

If your host has taken out a mortgage on the house, ask them to indicate the value of the mortgage (it should be on the bank loan/mortgage agreement) for this question.

Which is located at

This is simply the address of the property.

I hope the above was useful and it is open to correction by other forum members as they see necessary.

Please feel free to ask any other questions which come to your mind.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Hello comrades,

I thought DV winners do not need the so called AOS things! I havent even seen it stated anywhere under the requirements.

Thank you Momo
Hello Family2133,

I'll guide you through (other members please feel free to correct me or have their input) the I-134 as it shows on mine for Question No.7 on the form specifically:

I derive an annual income of : (If self-employed, I have attached a copy of my last income tax return or report of commercial rating concern which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. See instructions for nature of evidence of net worth to be submitted.) My host is employed at the state university

The question does not specifically state evidence required for employed persons and only for self-employed persons having to provide a copy of a tax return (which in my case my aunt/uncle have sent me). So that means mine does not need to provide a copy of tax returns, right? since he is employed

However if you wish to put your mind at ease, you can ask your host to provide you with evidence of payslips/salary evidence over a year. I will ask him to provide them

To my knowledge (unless I am mistaken - other forum members may correct me on this), the payslips in the USA normally detail/break down all the items such as pension contribution (social security), 401K (if the employer has this) etc. Again it isn't a must to provide a payslip because the instructions don't specify as such and when your security screening/background check is being done for the information you provided on your forms, they definitely check up on your host as well.

I have on deposit in savings banks in the United States

This is the item which I believe relates to your question. Your host needs to simply indicate the amount of money they have in their bank account(s). Bank statements are not needed as it is not specified here. Again the US Embassy can run a check on this if they need to. His worry was to know the minimum that can qualify me bcs if he knows the minimum amount and it is not there, he could find a way of topping it up.

I have other personal property, the reasonable value of which is

If your host has any assets, they should indicate this for this question. He has a house, what proof do we need here to verify

I have stocks and bonds with the following market value, as indicated on the attached list, which I certify to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I am not sure if he has this, cant we leave it out

If your host has investments in stocks/bonds/shares etc. they should indicate this. With regards to the part about the attached list, if your host does hold stocks/bonds/shares then they can indicate it separately or provide evidence of these investments through things such as share certificates or bond certificates. My aunt/uncle have provided me with their original portfolio of holdings in case I am asked at the interview.

I have life insurance in the sum of

If your host has a life insurance policy, ask them to indicate the value of the policy for this question. I am not sure about this

With a cash surrender value of

This is related to the life insurance policy question. To my knowledge the life insurance policy comes with a cash release (other forum members please correct me on this if necessary) so your host should indicate the value of this cash surrender.

I own real estate valued at

If your host owns a house in the USA, ask them to put the value of the property on the form (the price at which the house was purchased). Yes he does, Is there any other evidence required other than stating the price

With mortgage(s) or other encumbrance(s) thereon amounting to

If your host has taken out a mortgage on the house, ask them to indicate the value of the mortgage (it should be on the bank loan/mortgage agreement) for this question.

Which is located at

This is simply the address of the property.

I hope the above was useful and it is open to correction by other forum members as they see necessary. This is very useful, it is taking a great degree of stress off my head ;), thanks dear.

Please feel free to ask any other questions which come to your mind.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought DV winners do not need the so called AOS things! I havent even seen it stated anywhere under the requirements.

Its not a pre-requisite per say but it is open to debate. Some say it is needed and some say it isn't and some say the consular officer never really asks for it.

They're more interested in knowing if you have the high school diploma or work experience under O Net, and monetary capacity to ensure you don't become a public charge.

I believe being able to find a job quickly (if one qualifies under O Net) and also having some savings reduces the risk of becoming a public charge.

I say better safe than sorry when it comes to documentation. There's no harm in having extra evidence :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

This is correct Enoo, its not a requirement but in our second NLs, they may indicate that we need to take proof of financial support to make sure that we shall not become a public charge, so some pple who have fat accounts and assets can provide proof basing on this but some of us need to depend on the support of the host in the US, and the host can only show his support thru this I - 134.

Thank you Momo

You're very welcome my friend :)

Just a few pointers in relation to your blue responses:

House - if your host has/owns a house then that is the real estate they own and thus the value for it should be indicated. They don't need to provide any tangible/paper evidence of this. The value of the house should be indicated should be on some form of contract or purchase agreement which your host would have when they bought the house. The US authorities can do a background title deed check easily on this to ascertain if it is true.

Life insurance - ask your host if they have a life insurance policy. If not then they should just indicate "$0." As a general tip this is very useful to have in the USA.

Stocks & Bonds - if your host doesn't have any such holdings they can simply indicate "$0".

Savings - I've not read anywhere of a minimum amount for a host's savings (and other forum members can correct me if required), but it should be a reasonable amount considering they would be hosting you/your family as well as having his/her own family (if applicable). Perhaps your host should top it up if they feel it would playing safe for your case.

Tax Returns/Payslips - if your host is employed then tax returns are not necessary as it doesn't specify.

From what I have read and heard of, if the consular officers ask for the I-134, they'll only look at the I-134. If they're suspicious or think you're lying or want to put their own mind(s) at ease they may ask for additional evidence.

Remember these consular officers have some background in psychology or psychiatry (before any forum members bombard me with questions as to how I know this, its because my sister-in-law works for the State Department and trains diplomatic staff for embassy postings) in their training to become consular officers, so they're very good judges when it comes to saying yes or no :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

This is correct Enoo, its not a requirement but in our second NLs, they may indicate that we need to take proof of financial support to make sure that we shall not become a public charge, so some pple who have fat accounts and assets can provide proof basing on this but some of us need to depend on the support of the host in the US, and the host can only show his support thru this I - 134.

Who said your 2NL will be different from the current one?

Thank you Momo , now I know how to go about this, thanks again for your help/time
You're very welcome my friend :)

Just a few pointers in relation to your blue responses:

House - if your host has/owns a house then that is the real estate they own and thus the value for it should be indicated. They don't need to provide any tangible/paper evidence of this. The value of the house should be indicated should be on some form of contract or purchase agreement which your host would have when they bought the house. The US authorities can do a background title deed check easily on this to ascertain if it is true.

Life insurance - ask your host if they have a life insurance policy. If not then they should just indicate "$0." As a general tip this is very useful to have in the USA.

Stocks & Bonds - if your host doesn't have any such holdings they can simply indicate "$0".

Savings - I've not read anywhere of a minimum amount for a host's savings (and other forum members can correct me if required), but it should be a reasonable amount considering they would be hosting you/your family as well as having his/her own family (if applicable). Perhaps your host should top it up if they feel it would playing safe for your case.

Tax Returns/Payslips - if your host is employed then tax returns are not necessary as it doesn't specify.

From what I have read and heard of, if the consular officers ask for the I-134, they'll only look at the I-134. If they're suspicious or think you're lying or want to put their own mind(s) at ease they may ask for additional evidence.

Remember these consular officers have some background in psychology or psychiatry (before any forum members bombard me with questions as to how I know this, its because my sister-in-law works for the State Department and trains diplomatic staff for embassy postings) in their training to become consular officers, so they're very good judges when it comes to saying yes or no :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Just an additional point to reiterate what you have said:

Go with everything you have in terms of evidence:

Go with your bank statements for the last 6 months before the interview date; ensure you have a proper amount of savings. From what I have read/heard a family of four members going for DV should ideally have $30,000 on average to be safe or at least have evidence of property they can dispose of to raise sufficient funds. If you're planning to dispose of assets e.g. your house, take the title deed to your house to the interview in case the consular officer asks for it.

On that note DO NOT (and other forum members I believe would attest to this) dispose of any assets until you get your entry visa. There is a six month grace period (make sure your medical goes in line with the grace period as medicals expire after six months from the date the doctor signed them) so you have enough time to dispose of assets within those six months.

If you have a host in the US, take the I-134. There is no harm in extra evidence of any kind.

For all we know, the consular officer may not even ask for the I-134 or bank statements or any additional evidence and will only take in the bare basics such as the high school diploma (as a tip take your school leaving certificate if it shows 13 years of school education) or in the absence of a high school diploma they would require evidence/affidavit of work experience/qualification under O Net along with all the other civil documents (police certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate et al.).

Just don't take any chances. I always look at the worst case scenario or "what if" scenario and work on that. It just psychologically helps to put the mind at ease.

At this very moment/through this morning I was checking and re-checking and re-checking and ensuring my documents are in order and that I have all the key paperwork and any extras I have been able to get my hands on (except for my bank statements which I shall pick up tomorrow morning).

Psychologically I know I've got it all so my only stress now is wanting to get the interview over and done with on the 7th August.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Family2133,

I have to go with enoo on this one. The 2nd NL does not indicate anything about requirements. It simply tells you your interview date and time and if beneficiaries need to appear.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Well I dont know bcs I have never looked at a copy but I don't expect it to be the same as the 1st NL, at least the 2nd one should have some instructions in regards to interviews and the documents needed to take to the interviews.
Those who have received their 2nd NL, post a copy for us (Freshers) a copy.

Well I dont know bcs I have never looked at a copy but I don't expect it to be the same as the 1st NL, at least the 2nd one should have some instructions in regards to interviews and the documents needed to take to the interviews.
Those who have received their 2nd NL, post a copy for us (Freshers) a copy.

Lol stop stressing. It doesn't say anything about documents, trust me and enoo :)

It'll simply tell you that it is an official notice for you to pursue your application for a DV-2013 visa and when your appointment will be and where and who must appear (if you have beneficiaries then you must all appear).

It also says please follow the instructions provided in Step 4 at http://www.dvselectee.state.gov for Interview Preparation and Fee Payments. It is very important that you follow the guidelines carefully in preparation for your interview and the visa fee that must be paid for each applicant and each family member.

The documentation requirements are on the DV Selectee website. FYI do not confuse this process with NVC (National Visa Centre) requirements or other forms because immigration under NVC is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the DV under KCC.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

hi all wish everyone the best in relocating to the us and those yet to go for the interview good luck.
Now i have apending question and need advice, after receiving our visas my wife is expecting a new born anytime now and it will be before i move to us. Now my question is how do i go to us with the kid not having a visa or i need to apply for that again and if so do have to apply for a new passport for the kid also or is it not necessary. Over to you makiki, nickelly, papasan, dubai-b, essieta and all help a brother out.

Hi, are you saying you sat your interview?
IWE WENT TO THE INTERVIEW WITH A NOTE FROM the Dr but our interview was postpone for the 3rd Aug by the embassy. Just trust God, He is a good and merciful God. Nothing is too difficult for the Lord to do. I trust in Him for my visa appoval medical or no medicals,He is the God that fetch water with the basket to disgrace the bucket. There is a reason for any thinh happening to us and God is in control. remain bless

Direction to iom

HALLO FORUMIST,
Take a matatu no. 106 at the around about stage situated at the end of TOM MBOYA street just after fire station. Alight at united nations AVENUE stage just after the canadian high commission. cross the road follow the un avenue till the first junction on you LEFT which is opposite to the main entrance of kenya techical training college. This road is un crescent but there is no sign post available so turn LEFT and use this road till you get no. 78 that is IOM.