• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Well, I did get to talk to a level 2, but he refused to do anything unless my wife personally talks to him. My wife is not around and she can't be reached by phone. So, at this time we'll just show up.

Yes, she is the main applicant.

Hexa, Please don't change your interview date. Today is september 18th, meaning less than 2 weeks before the end of FY 2013. As others have said, go to the interview with the documents you have. The risk of missing the deadline is higher than being denied because of the missing of original BC and HD.

I'm going there tomorrow, original document or not. I know that they can't deny my case outright, at worst they will issue an RFE (request for evidence), which we will be able to provide first thing next week.

According to USCIS memorandum PM-602-0085 dated June 3, 2013:
RFEs. If not all of the required initial evidence has been submitted or the officer determines that
the totality of the evidence submitted does not meet the applicable standard of proof, the officer
should issue an RFE unless he or she determines there is no possibility that additional evidence
available to the individual might cure the deficiency

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/June 2013/Requests for Evidence (Final).pdf

Just go bro

I had my interview yesterday. the IO did not ask for birth certificate at all. he just saw my passport and my drivers license. He told me he will review my case and notify me by mail.

If I can't get it rescheduled, then this is exactly my plan. We'll just show up at the interview without the documents and ask to submit them a couple of days later.

Hey man, I went to the interview not having my medical :eek: Mr Interviewer was kind enough to help me out. He gave me this letter and said 'send your medical along with this letter to this address'

Go with a good attitude and a smile on your face! If you look angry and upset..well..first impression is important!

I hope your interviewer will be nice and help you out as well. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news and bad news from the interview:

The bad news is that the officer wanted to see the original BC and Diploma.

The good news is that he let my wife come first thing next monday with the original documents.

Things I observed from the interview:
- The interview took place in the officer's office, not some special interview/interrogation room. There were thick stacks of case folders to the side. This made me feel better because the interview was done in a place the officer was comfortable in.
- The very first thing he had us do was to raise out right hands and do an oath to tell the truth. This little act is significant because while lying is not a crime, lying under oath is.
- Both our file folders were marked "Special Handling DV" in very large letters on the cover. This might have something to do with my putting a neon yellow piece of paper on top of my files, requesting an expedite due to the time-sensitive nature of DV.
- The officer that handled our case seemed to be experienced and meticulous. He knew what matters and what doesn't. This worked in our favor because I knew that all our papers were in order (except for the late originals). No amateur hour there, no request for unnecessary crap.
- Since her current status depends on mine (she's my H-4), then he wanted proof that I am still working, thus still in status. He asked for a paystub, but I gave him something better: an employment verification letter from my employer, which satisfied him.
- We both were asked the standard yes/no questions (registered to vote, arrests, terrorism, etc.). He was kind enough to explain that it's standard, he asks these questions to every single GC applicant so if the gov't later finds out you're a terrorist or war criminal, they can revoke your GC / citizenship based on your lying on the application.
- He personally had an interest in world religions, so he asked questions around this topic, which I think also served to verify that we did get married.
- He took a look at our marriage license and made a copy. He actually looked it up on the state department's website about how a marriage certificate from our country supposed to look like.
- He was basically friendly; he attempted to do a little humor here and there, but I was just too high strung to reciprocate with my own. I couldn't risk offending him with a stupid joke. At one point he even suggested that we visit the nearby Chicago library for its view of lake Michigan.

All in all it went well. I'm quite confident that we'll be approved as soon as my wife shows him her original documents next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news and bad news from the interview:

The bad news is that the officer wanted to see the original BC and Diploma.

The good news is that he let my wife come first thing next monday with the original documents.

Things I observed from the interview:
- The interview took place in the officer's office, not some special interview/interrogation room. There were thick stacks of case folders to the side. This made me feel better because the interview was done in a place the officer was comfortable in.
- The very first thing he had us do was to raise out right hands and do an oath to tell the truth. This little act is significant because while lying is not a crime, lying under oath is.
- Both our file folders were marked "Special Handling DV" in very large letters on the cover. This might have something to do with my putting a neon yellow piece of paper on top of my files, requesting an expedite due to the time-sensitive nature of DV.
- The officer that handled our case seemed to be experienced and meticulous. He knew what matters and what doesn't. This worked in our favor because I knew that all our papers were in order (except for the late originals). No amateur hour there, no request for unnecessary crap.
- Since her current status depends on mine (she's my H-4), then he wanted proof that I am still working, thus still in status. He asked for a paystub, but I gave him something better: an employment verification letter from my employer, which satisfied him.
- We both were asked the standard yes/no questions (registered to vote, arrests, terrorism, etc.). He was kind enough to explain that it's standard, he asks these questions to every single GC applicant so if the gov't later finds out you're a terrorist or war criminal, they can revoke your GC / citizenship based on your lying on the application.
- He personally had an interest in world religions, so he asked questions around this topic, which I think also served to verify that we did get married.
- He took a look at our marriage license and made a copy. He actually looked it up on the state department's website about how a marriage certificate from our country supposed to look like.
- He was basically friendly; he attempted to do a little humor here and there, but I was just too high strung to reciprocate with my own. I couldn't risk offending him with a stupid joke. At one point he even suggested that we visit the nearby Chicago library for its view of lake Michigan.

All in all it went well. I'm quite confident that we'll be approved as soon as my wife shows him her original documents next week.

That's all good news - glad it turned out well.

Have you heard about grace period?

Guys,
When the officer did my interview and told he will review my case and mail me with results. I told him that I have a concern that I only have till the end of the month to get my green card approved . He said that I have 90 day grace period ? Is that right? My case online still says acceptance and It has been 3 days from the interview. What should I do? Please advise

Guys,
When the officer did my interview and told he will review my case and mail me with results. I told him that I have a concern that I only have till the end of the month to get my green card approved . He said that I have 90 day grace period ? Is that right? My case online still says acceptance and It has been 3 days from the interview. What should I do? Please advise

Assuming we are talking about DV lottery winner. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD. You must push for a decision and visa by 30th September otherwise you will miss your opportunity.

There is no grace period as far as I know for DV cases.
If you have a way to contact the officer and speak with him do that. If not, see if you can schedule am InfoPass appointment before the end of the month.

Guys,