• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Based on personal experience, I suggest waiting for about 2 weeks before your wife and daughter put in an application for the SSN. It takes a while for SSA's database to get updated with the new status. This is not to say that their application will not be accepted if you go to the the SSA building and put in the application the very next day they receive their GC. If you apply immediately, they will give you a receipt asking you to expect a response in about a month's time, following which you may or you may not get the SSN and may have to apply again.

I had applied for one of my kids the very week the GC was received, we got a receipt saying expect a response in a month's time. I never got any response, I made a returned visit about 5 weeks after, and they told me they were still trying to verify his information. Six weeks later, I received a letter asking me to provide evidence of his new status. Shocking ehy?:confused: I went back to find out what they needed, and they told me a copy of his GC which was provided as at the time of the initial application. Anyway, we finally got the SSN 2 weeks following the new application. People told me, that experience was kind of common if you apply early, the delay was caused by the fact that it takes a while for the database to get updated with the new information.

Other member of my family who already had SSN had no issue with updating our status removing the DHS restrictions on our SSN. (The applications where put in at the same time with my son's). The updated new cards were received in about a week.

What will be the next step after receiving GC? I will receive that soon within few days based on tracking. I am still in school. My daughter and my wife have to apply for SSN since they did not have that before. Do I also need to reapply for new SSN/update SSN? Do I need to wait for few days after receiving GC to make changes? I will appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.

Yes, the IO has the right to query one's intent to reside if there's cause for suspicion. They are however trained to be aware of the fact that newly landed immigrants may need to go back home immediately following the GC receipt to tie up loose ends (regardless of whether they did AOS or CP!). They get suspicious of one's intent to reside if the person begins to use the GC like a Visa, such as having an established practice of going out of the country and spending more time outside than in the US.

Agreed, I just pointed out a possibility however remote. I'm sure she'll be just fine.

Other member of my family who already had SSN had no issue with updating our status removing the DHS restrictions on our SSN. (The applications where put in at the same time with my son's). The updated new cards were received in about a week.

Thanks for sharing your info, that was enlightening. This is what I thought, if somebody already has a SSN, it shouldn't take much, but I didn't think of the children. One would think by the time we receive our green cards, the database would be updated, because the status is changed as of the interview date and by the time we hold gc in our hands it's been already a week or two since then, but anyways. I guess it is safer to wait for the new applicants.

Based on personal experience, I suggest waiting for about 2 weeks before your wife and daughter put in an application for the SSN. It takes a while for SSA's database to get updated with the new status. This is not to say that their application will..

We just received our GCs!!!:)

Thank you Sm1smom and aos13 with regard to applying for SSN. Based on that, I will go ahead and update mine, but will wait ~2 weeks to apply for my wife and daughter.
When I need to update my status in School? I don't think that it has anything to do with updated SSN, right? So, I am thinking to contact school to update my status. Is this the way?

Thanks again!

okay, this is confusing.
On Tuesday after interview our case was updated to CPO and few hours later it changed to Decision. On Friday it again changed to CPO stating that they ordered production of card for us. This morning we received WL and also the status stayed CPO, cards are mailed. Right now the status again went back to Decision with information that a notice was mailed, informing the new resident status.

Thank you Sm1smom and aos13 with regard to applying for SSN. Based on that, I will go ahead and update mine, but will wait ~2 weeks to apply for my wife and daughter.
When I need to update my status in School? I don't think that it has anything to do with updated SSN, right? So, I am thinking to contact school to update my status. Is this the way?

Thanks again!

Yes you can contact school right away. Also I forgot to mention, for all students, there is a thing called "permanent address" which used to be your home country address, you also change that to your current address here in US. Also, you may want to get some tax advice from your HR since now you need to pay for medicare and SS taxes and they need to be withheld from your paycheck.

Congratulations Jay2013!!!

Thanks again!

Based on personal experience, I suggest waiting for about 2 weeks before your wife and daughter put in an application for the SSN. It takes a while for SSA's database to get updated with the new status. This is not to say that their application will not be accepted if

Thanks very much Sm1smom! It is very helpful.

2 Questions

Congratualation pritu_sharma and Jay2013 !
Good luck for the interviewees of this week !

I have two Question:
1/ When submitting the 485 package, are we required to include all the passport pages (including the blank pages and stamped visas..) or only the bigraphic page ?
2/ Does submitting the request for AP and EAD along with the main application delay the AOS process ?
Thanks.

1. They usually ask copies of PP pages with visas and entry stamps, but you may send all the pages if you would like. Just few extra bucks in expenses :)
2. If you are on F1 visa it is not advisable to apply for EAD. You may jeopardize your status if God forbid something goes wrong with AOS process. I dont think it will delay the process, other members may give you more information as I did not apply for EAD or AP

Congratualation pritu_sharma and Jay2013 !
Good luck for the interviewees of this week !
I have two Question:
1/ When submitting the 485 package, are we required to include all the passport pages (including the blank pages and stamped visas..) or only the bigraphic page ?
2/ Does submitting the request for AP and EAD along with the main application delay the AOS process ?
Thanks.

Response Below:

I have two Question:
1/ When submitting the 485 package, are we required to include all the passport pages (including the blank pages and stamped visas..) or only the bigraphic page ? - Only the Biographic page and any other page with visa/stamp. The blank pages are not required.

2/ Does submitting the request for AP and EAD along with the main application delay the AOS process ? - No, it doesn't. AOS will be processed by your local FO, while the AP/EAD is processed by the NBC

Thanks.