• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

After GC!

What will be the next step after receiving GC? I will receive that soon within few days based on tracking. I am still in school. My daughter and my wife have to apply for SSN since they did not have that before. Do I also need to reapply for new SSN/update SSN? Do I need to wait for few days after receiving GC to make changes? I will appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.

Hi All

My case number has finally been called for June. Yay!

I have couple of questions and I really appreciate your help and guidance.

I'm on OPT now, I'm wondering if I need to I-765 along with my I-485.
Do I need to send the original copy of my documents or just the photocopies are accepted.
Do I need to fill out the affidavit of financial support as well? I'm currently employed.

I'm in the process of getting my medical test done, unfortunately I've shown positive reaction to TB test and I have no idea why :( , I was BCG vaccinated when I was a kid, anyhow I had to take chest X-ray and I'm still waiting for the result, I'm so worried. Would it cause my case to be denied? Hopefully, it won't.

Thank you

What will be the next step after receiving GC? I will receive that soon within few days based on tracking. I am still in school. My daughter and my wife have to apply for SSN since they did not have that before. Do I also need to reapply for new SSN/update SSN? Do I need to wait for few days after receiving GC to make changes? I will appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.

Re:MelanieT she was asking how long before she can leave for summer break and there is no limit. Of course everybody needs to be aware of gc conditions such as no staying out of US more than 6 months etc. Well you actually can, but anyways please inform yourselves about thaose things using uscis web site and other resources.

Regarding next steps; students need to let their schools know so that their sevis records can be properly terminated. Working students and employees need to fill a new I-9 form showing their new status. Everybody needs to apply for SSN card, they will be issued the same number if they already have one, except there won't be the DHS authorization clause.

Hi All

Do I need to send the original copy of my documents or just the photocopies are accepted.
Do I need to fill out the affidavit of financial support as well? I'm currently employed.

I'm in the process of getting my medical test done, unfortunately I've shown positive reaction to TB test and I have no idea why :( , I was BCG vaccinated when I was a kid, anyhow I had to take chest X-ray and I'm still waiting for the result, I'm so worried. Would it cause my case to be denied? Hopefully, it won't.

Thank you

1)
If you are on OPT than you should have ur EAD card. Applying EAD with I-485 is not recommended as you will loose your F1 status after receiving the EAD card from 485.

2)
No originals. Only photocopies.

3)
If you are above the poverty line you dont have to. If IO needs it, it will be in ur interview letter.

4)
Thats not a issue at al. I had the same thing and it came out fine after X-Ray. Its a very common thing for lot of international people. You should be fine :)

Cheers!!

Hi All

Thank you
Keep your opt in case gc process falls apart for some reason so that you can stay in country. Do not send any original documents unless you can easily obtain them again. You only need a letter from employer and last 2-3 pay stubs. Do not worry about TB, it is normal.

I am not aware of such limit. It would be wise though to carry some documents with you like a rental agreement or something in case the IO at the airport gets suspicious about you having left the country next day you get your green card :) CP doers do that all the time, leaving the country as soon as they get their green cards, so it should be fine. One thing I would suggest is to let your school know of your green card so that they terminate your sevis record before you leave.

I see, it seem like such a bother to carry documents as proof and getting suspected and all. Thank you for the quick response btw! :)
Oh, what is a sevis record? What would happen if they didn't change this sevis record after I went back to Indonesia?

where do you see the tracking number on the uscis website, on the left column??

Thanks.

Thanks for responding, I've been employed since May 2012, I've started working on campus as GA and then in September I got an internship for six months and as of getting my OPT which is the beginning of this month, I've been working for a new employer, so do you think my pay stubs for the past yeas are enough?

Thank you

Keep your opt in case gc process falls apart for some reason so that you can stay in country. Do not send any original documents unless you can easily obtain them again. You only need a letter from employer and last 2-3 pay stubs. Do not worry about TB, it is normal.

Thanks for responding, I've been employed since May 2012, I've started working on campus as GA and then in September I got an internship for six months and as of getting my OPT which is the beginning of this month, I've been working for a new employer, so do you think my pay stubs for the past yeas are enough?

Thank you

1)
If you are on OPT than you should have ur EAD card. Applying EAD with I-485 is not recommended as you will loose your F1 status after receiving the EAD card from 485.

2)
No originals. Only photocopies.

3)
If you are above the poverty line you dont have to. If IO needs it, it will be in ur interview letter.

4)
Thats not a issue at al. I had the same thing and it came out fine after X-Ray. Its a very common thing for lot of international people. You should be fine :)

Cheers!!

Thank you!

Yes, I do have my EAD card. But my advisor at school told me once, if I send I-765, they would just issue me another EAD card and then I would end up having two EAD cards, that's why I'm kinda like confused. I don't wanna do anything that would slightly affect the process.

I'm not sure if I'm above poverty line :p

Thank GOD that TB test is not gonna be a problem.

Thank you!

Yes, I do have my EAD card. But my advisor at school told me once, if I send I-765, they would just issue me another EAD card and then I would end up having two EAD cards, that's why I'm kinda like confused. I don't wanna do anything that would slightly affect the process.

I'm not sure if I'm above poverty line :p

Thank GOD that TB test is not gonna be a problem.

If you have a EAD card than dont include paper work for I 765 with ur AOS packet.
Link to check poverty line
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Cheers!!

You can travel out of the country as soon as you get your GC. You only need to have a valid passport and your GC for your international travel. You don't need to carry any other document to prove yourself or your intent upon your return, all you need is your GC to show your status. So many new LPRs travel out of the country upon getting their GC and I've never heard of anyone needing additional documents to prove themselves to IOs upon their return.

As a student, you want to inform your school of your change in status so that you don't continue paying the same amount of fees international students are charged.

I see, it seem like such a bother to carry documents as proof and getting suspected and all. Thank you for the quick response btw! :)
Oh, what is a sevis record? What would happen if they didn't change this sevis record after I went back to Indonesia?

where do you see the tracking number on the uscis website, on the left column??

You can see that in USCIS online status check site (same that you have been using to check status). In my case, my status was changed to CPO from decision on the morning of 19th April with information, "On 19 April, we mailed your new card......." . In the evening around at 7PM, the status remained on CPO, but with different information showing USPS tracking number in it. So, if you get information that your GC has been mailed, then within 12hr, it must show the tracking number.

Good Luck!

Regarding next steps; students need to let their schools know so that their sevis records can be properly terminated. Working students and employees need to fill a new I-9 form showing their new status. Everybody needs to apply for SSN card, they will be issued the same number if they already have one, except there won't be the DHS authorization clause.

Thanks aos13 for the information. Can I go immediately after receiving GC in mail at SSN office to change/apply for SSN? Because, I heard somewhere that we need to wait few days (10 days), but not sure whether it is true? if true, why? So, any experience sharing would be great!

thanks Jay2013! our status changed to CPO on the 19th too but we still do not see any update with tracking number. I guess it is due to the weekend.

You can see that in USCIS online status check site (same that you have been using to check status). In my case, my status was changed to CPO from decision on the morning of 19th April with information, "On 19 April, we mailed your new card......." . In the evening around at 7PM, the status remained on CPO, but with different information showing USPS tracking number in it. So, if you get information that your GC has been mailed, then within 12hr, it must show the tracking number.
Good Luck!

Thanks aos13 for the information. Can I go immediately after receiving GC in mail at SSN office to change/apply for SSN? Because, I heard somewhere that we need to wait few days (10 days), but not sure whether it is true? if true, why? So, any experience sharing would be great!

You can go right away I think. 10 days is for new people, we already have SSNs, so it is just a matter of showing the gc.

You can travel out of the country as soon as you get your GC. You only need to have a valid passport and your GC for your international travel. You don't need to carry any other document to prove yourself or your intent upon your return, all you need is your GC to show your status. So many new LPRs travel out of the country upon getting their GC and I've never heard of anyone needing additional documents to prove themselves to IOs upon their return.

As a student, you want to inform your school of your change in status so that you don't continue paying the same amount of fees international students are charged.

I agree I have not heard of a case either but in theory the IO can question your intent to reside if he gets suspicious upon your return.

Sevis record is international student's record that reflects his/her current status in US and it needs to be terminated with a good cause such as graduation, going back home, or in this case, change of status to permanent resident. The school will not know your gc unless you show them. It is good to take care of it so that they do not think you are traveling without their knowledge.

And yeah paying intl tuition sucks :)

I agree I have not heard of a case either but in theory the IO can question your intent to reside if he gets suspicious upon your return.

Yes, the IO has the right to query one's intent to reside if there's cause for suspicion. They are however trained to be aware of the fact that newly landed immigrants may need to go back home immediately following the GC receipt to tie up loose ends (regardless of whether they did AOS or CP!). They get suspicious of one's intent to reside if the person begins to use the GC like a Visa, such as having an established practice of going out of the country and spending more time outside than in the US.