• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Varxx,

It does not make difference writing on envelope. As kazore stated most of us included a cover letter stating what type of application and listing the documents attached in the application.

Hi Guys,
I just went through a bunch of your experiences (over ten pages of threads :). Congrats to everyone who is green. I had a few questions:

1. I hear that some of you are getting a stamp on your passport at the visa interview, I didn't get that. What is up with that?

2. The spreadsheet mentions something called "CPO" after the interview, what exactly is this?

3. Right now my status is, I485 - Post Decision Activity with approved, I131 - Post Decision Activity with approved, I765 (EAD) - Decision with approved. What happens now? Do I get a welcome letter first and then get a GC?

4. I am right now on an H1B and am incredibly tempted to leave my job. From a immigration standpoint, have I become a LPR the day of the interview or is it the day I get the physical card?

I am sorry that I have so many questions!

Thanks, Guys!

Hi Guys,
I just went through a bunch of your experiences (over ten pages of threads :). Congrats to everyone who is green. I had a few questions:
2. The spreadsheet mentions something called "CPO" after the interview, what exactly is this?
3. Right now my status is, I485 - Post Decision Activity with approved, I131 - Post Decision Activity with approved, I765 (EAD) - Decision with approved. What happens now? Do I get a welcome letter first and then get a GC?
4. I am right now on an H1B and am incredibly tempted to leave my job. From a immigration standpoint, have I become a LPR the day of the interview or is it the day I get the physical card?

This is mostly what my experience has been, but it varies as you can clearly see it on the spreadsheet:
CPO: Card Production Order: Under Card/Document Production I saw a notice about a week after my interview saying "On [this day] we ordered the production of your new card" - that's the Card Production Order. In my case, the day after I saw that, it changed to "On [this day] we directly mailed your new card to your address", and by the end of that day when I checked my case status again I saw the tracking number (USPS). [The USPS reported that they picked up mail from USCIS containing your new card on [DATE]. The USPS tracking number assigned is ...]
After your interview, you will first get your Welcome Letter (it took exactly a week for me to get it), and then you will get your Green Card - arrival of your Green Card varies - as you can see it on the spreadsheet.
As far as I know, as your I-485 application is approved on the day of the interview - you are a Green Card holder and thus a permanent resident since the day of your approval - at least this is what I was told at the interview. However, in order to get a new Social Security card [if on your current card it's written "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"], and to be released from SEVIS system (for those of you that are on Student Visa); you physically need your Green Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!

I have assembled my documents for preparing AOS package but now I am not sure how to order the documents in the package.

Can you guys share how you arranged your documents in the package?

Thank you guys,
Pritu

I don't think there's any 'formal' cover letter that is required to be included with the I-485 package. As a matter of fact, I did not include any cover letter with my package, nor did I list out the supporting documents with my application. Anything you draft (if you choose to include a cover letter) should be fine.

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have a sample of cover letter that can be included in the AOS package?

Thank you guys,
Pritu

Hi Pritu,

I clipped my I-485 with the supporting documents and put them in the order of most important one (I-485, G-325A with continuation sheets if any) -> copy of direct supporting documents (lottery winning letters, high school diploma, birth certificate) -> copy of secondary supporting documents (passport page with personal identities, bachelor degree diploma...etc.).

You can actually do it in any other way. Just keep it easy to read and don't forget to sign the forms.

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone!

I have assembled my documents for preparing AOS package but now I am not sure how to order the documents in the package.

Thank you guys,
Pritu

This is mostly what my experience has been, but it varies as you can clearly see it on the spreadsheet:
CPO: Card Production Order: Under Card/Document Production I saw a notice about a week after my interview saying "On [this day] we ordered the production of your new card" - that's the Card Production Order. In my case, the day after I saw that, it changed to "On [this day] we directly mailed your new card to your address", and by the end of that day when I checked my case status again I saw the tracking number (USPS). [The USPS reported that they picked up mail from USCIS containing your new card on [DATE]. The USPS tracking number assigned is ...]
After your interview, you will first get your Welcome Letter (it took exactly a week for me to get it), and then you will get your Green Card - arrival of your Green Card varies - as you can see it on the spreadsheet.
As far as I know, as your I-485 application is approved on the day of the interview - you are a Green Card holder and thus a permanent resident since the day of your approval - at least this is what I was told at the interview. However, in order to get a new Social Security card [if on your current card it's written "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"], and to be released from SEVIS system (for those of you that are on Student Visa); you physically need your Green Card.

Thanks iamsolost.

If anyone else can let me know why some folks got a stamping on their passport, it would be great!

Also, what are things people are doing in terms of documentation or steps after they get their GC? (Update SSN, etc..?)

I don't think there's any 'formal' cover letter that is required to be included with the I-485 package. As a matter of fact, I did not include any cover letter with my package, nor did I list out the supporting documents with my application. Anything you draft (if you choose to include a cover letter) should be fine.

I am glad that this issue was brought up because I was starting to regret that I didn't include any cover letter either. Without a cover letter explaining this is a DV based submission, I'm afraid they'll just toss it into the pile with the all other I-485s. So anybody who's about to submit their application, it would be wise to put a cover letter with CAPS :) that this is a dv lottery application. The order of documents in my case was the G-something form for e-mail/text, I-485, DV lottery letter, the DV payment receipt (original :p), and the rest in no particular order.

I've read somewhere that they frown upon stapling so I just clipped everything. Also it would be wise to put name and case number on all pages of forms, which I didn't do either. :eek:
I'm just hoping I won't wait for a long time; I still didn't receive bio letter yet. :confused:

Technically you are not H1B :) If you are already approved you are not any visa any more. Actually they should have voided your H1B visa on your passport and taken your H1B documents. Did they do that? Anybody who is done with interview please jump in and let us know if that's the case.

I am glad that this issue was brought up because I was starting to regret that I didn't include any cover letter either. Without a cover letter explaining this is a DV based submission, I'm afraid they'll just toss it into the pile with the all other I-485s. So anybody who's about to submit their application, it would be wise to put a cover letter with CAPS :) that this is a dv lottery application. The order of documents in my case was the G-something form for e-mail/text, I-485, DV lottery letter, the DV payment receipt (original :p), and the rest in no particular order.

I've read somewhere that they frown upon stapling so I just clipped everything. Also it would be wise to put name and case number on all pages of forms, which I didn't do either. :eek:
I'm just hoping I won't wait for a long time; I still didn't receive bio letter yet. :confused:

My lawyer and I had an amusing back and forth reg. this. I wanted to put in a cover letter, he said that the packages would be reviewed by contractors and they didn't really care to read that. In the end, we went with his and my case went as fast as it could.

Technically you are not H1B :) If you are already approved you are not any visa any more. Actually they should have voided your H1B visa on your passport and taken your H1B documents. Did they do that? Anybody who is done with interview please jump in and let us know if that's the case.

Well, he ripped out an old I94 card in my passport and took it away. However, this was the card that was there since my F1 time. I never had an H1B stamping on my passport since I switched within the country and never left it.

My lawyer and I had an amusing back and forth reg. this. I wanted to put in a cover letter, he said that the packages would be reviewed by contractors and they didn't really care to read that. In the end, we went with his and my case went as fast as it could.

Good to know :D Regarding the visa page, well if you don't have one to begin with then it's OK I guess. By stamping the passport, they might mean voiding the visa. Anybody care to elaborate ?

Hi everyone!

Thank you guys,
Pritu

Hi,

Here is how you can do:

Write a short cover letter, saying that you're sending your AOS application because you are DV winner and that your number is current. List all the forms that you are sending in the order you send them
1)I-485,
2)G-325A,
3)I-765...
Then you can write
4)Exhibits A: DV original application, Notification letter, AOS letter, Fee receipt
5)Exhibit B: copy of passport, copy of visa, copy of I-94 card, birth certificate with English translation list any other additional papers that you are sending (high school certificate...)
6)Sealed envelope containing form I-693 Medical Examination, required photographs and cheque of $1070 for the required fees
Sign the letter

Assemble the forms in the order you listed them on the cover letter
Use a big paper clip or binder clip, no staples. Lawyers use acco fasteners, two-hole punching the top of the sheets for easy placement in the file.
Use a divider page for exhibits A and B.

Here how it looks like
With binder clip
4311872599_74a93ba0f9.jpg

With acco fastener
images

Write your name and DV case number on the back of the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck for the interview!!

Sm1smom,

Seems you are appearing for the interview tomorrow (1/28). Good Luck for your interview and I am pretty sure that you will share your experience with us i.e. "waiters". Good Luck!!

Good Luck Sm1smom!!!

Cover letter

Aos13,

It is always good to include a cover letter but if none was included I do not think it in anyway delays your application. I had the fortune of having my application returned when I first sent it out. The application was already sorted into three plastic papers. One for the forms, another for photos and medical form, the other for all support(educational, passport pages, visa, birth certificates etc)

Sms1mom has on several occasions stated that interview delays are occasioned by the number of applications your field office handles. Some field offices have large case loads from other pending applications e.g Fresno Ca or Miami Fl. Some others like Portland also handle so many jurisdictions. Philadelphia DV cases move very quickly. ( extrapolated from the AOS spreadsheet).

The processing of applications at the lockbox is as follows(source uscis public engagement notes)
1. Application received by lockbox is sorted and scanned into the system.
2. Lockbox officials forward DV case files to national benefits center(NBC).
3. NBC sends out bio notices based on your field office application support centers availability. They also process the EAD and travel permit cards. Once bio is complete NBC will request cards be mailed out.
4. NBC sends hard copy file to field office. They include a red paper with dv notification in file to alert field office to process and schedule interview ASaP due to time constraints.
5. Field office receives file and schedules interview.

At time of interview all my docs were in a brown/ cream colored folder.