• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 Australia Winners - Post Here

Hi all

Thank you to everyone who has posted to this thread - so much useful information. I'm so sorry to those that missed out in the May ballot - must have been so disappointed.

We are a family of 5 - 21 y/o daughter (20 at time of application so still eligible), 19 and 12 y/o sons. My husband is the winner - we are deriviatives (lovely term huh? :) )

We have been advised that our interview is in March.

My husband didn't complete school but has a trade and extensive work experience in transport logistics and warehousing. Has anyone been in a similar position? How did the interviews go?

Also, does anyone know what sort of financial security they are looking for. We are asset rich but cash poor. We plan to liquidate many of our assets prior to the move. Will we have an opportunity to explain this or will it just be reliant on bank statements.

I'd be happy to email directly with anyone going through the journey. It is exhilirating but terrifying.

Cheers

How exciting for you!!

Just a couple of things.

Please be sure your husbands work comes under the correct category, it is not just a case of it being on their website.

"Successful DV entrants must be eligible to receive a visa by qualifying based on education, work, and other requirements. The law and regulations require that every DV entrant must have at least:

•A high school education or its equivalent; or
•Two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience.
To learn more about qualifying occupations, see the Diversity Visa Instructions Frequently Asked Questions and the List of Occupations webpage."

The website about the jobs is here with a link to the actual "zones"

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1319.html

Be sure he comes under Zone 4 or 5, and have proof to back that up.

All the reading I have made so far regarding Aussies at interview, most if not all have not had to prove their financial status, but I wouldn't bank on that (sorry for the pun). I know they want to see you have at least the poverty level for that year (link following)

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/11poverty.shtml

The threads of Australian winners in this forum is a wealth of information, and those that have gone through it will no doubt add to mine to help you along the way.

I will watch your posts with a mixture of excitment and envy!! All the best! Hopefully May 1 will bring good news our way too.

Q

Hi all
Also, does anyone know what sort of financial security they are looking for.
The consulate in Sydney does not ask for any proof of funds. It was also not listed (in the second notification letter) as one of the documents that I needed to take along to the interview.
When I went for my interview I took it along anyway and when they did not ask for it I asked whether they wanted to see it. The officer simply said to me that "this is a visa that allows you to work in the US, so we aren't interested in your current financial situation".

Many other Australian DV winners had the same experience. Maybe somebody with a different experience could add theirs.

In summary then, take whatever you have but don't stress about this too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just had my 2012 DV visa approved. I wasn't asked about my financial situation although I brought evidence of it, and they were keen to see everything I brought along to the interview. I'm not making any suggestion as to whether it's mandatory or not, but certainly the instructions I received made no mention of showing proof of funds.

I found the 2011 DV forum thread for Australians helpful. As far as I can tell only one Australian in there was rejected, apparently having not finished high school. The employment route looks a lot more complicated but certainly possible.

My advice is get all the documents ready as soon as possible, and then you can stop worrying about it. I was shocked at how long some documents took to reach me, so I was pleased I started in July.

Police check

What's your best recommended process for getting police clearance - and if in Sydney - where do I have to go to get it done?
thanks

What's your best recommended process for getting police clearance - and if in Sydney - where do I have to go to get it done?
The US consulate accepts either a AFP or NSW state police police certificate, so you can choose which one you want to do. An important thing to note is that whichever one you choose, the police check must be done based on a name and fingerprint check (not name only). You can see this requirement (and others) here.
Here are links to AFP and NSW police sites that explain the process.

Did any of the aussies who have been for the interview have to get a sponsor, did get a sponsor or were at all asked about a sponsor?

Proof of education

Hi all have a question on documents proving high school diploma. I actually have a post-graduate qualification - will proof of this suffice, or do they actually want to see high school qualifications?! Surely the higher and more recent education would prove it...but thought I better check before heading off to my interview with the wrong certificate!

Hi all have a question on documents proving high school diploma. I actually have a post-graduate qualification - will proof of this suffice, or do they actually want to see high school qualifications?! Surely the higher and more recent education would prove it...but thought I better check before heading off to my interview with the wrong certificate!

You have double posted, I put an answer on your other post.

Q

Did any of the aussies who have been for the interview have to get a sponsor, did get a sponsor or were at all asked about a sponsor?
Yes I was asked. However, I did my consular interview at an embassy outside Australia (Bangkok) and actually self sponsored. Just show sufficient assets such as bank balance

To clarify: The Consulate in Sydney did not ask me for any such thing. It was not listed as a documentary requirement on my interview, and they also did not even want to see it when I volunteered to show it. I haven't heard of any other Australians that had to show anything along these lines in Sydney.

To clarify: The Consulate in Sydney did not ask me for any such thing. It was not listed as a documentary requirement on my interview, and they also did not even want to see it when I volunteered to show it. I haven't heard of any other Australians that had to show anything along these lines in Sydney.

I'm a bit worried as I have a good salaried job at the moment, but will only have about $8k when my interview comes as I have been traveling and backpacking for the last few years.

I hope that doesn't work against me....with my job and masters degree I should be OK.

My itnerview wont be in australia though....

I'm a bit worried as I have a good salaried job at the moment, but will only have about $8k when my interview comes as I have been traveling and backpacking for the last few years.

I hope that doesn't work against me....with my job and masters degree I should be OK.

My itnerview wont be in australia though....
I guess you would be okay, but it all depends on the requirements of the consulate at which you're having your interview. You will know exactly what is required once you have the interview letter that lists all the docs that you must have at the interview.

If you're curious about what happens at your consulate, why not search for that consulate on this forum and ask others who had their interview whether they were asked for anything along these lines.

Hi All,

I posted months back as I was successful in the DV Lottery. As yet I haven't applied but due to a change in circumstances am now thinking about doing it. If I was to get my documentation together over the next week or 2 and send it in, are there likely to be visas left? How long might I be looking at before an interview if there are visas left still?

Thanks!

Well hopefully someone who was a 'late responder' will post an answer for you soon, I'm new to applying so I don't have an answer for you. If I were you though, I would send off my documents asap. I have heard through the forum of others sending documents off late. I also read a post of someone who was told that they never give all the visa's away in Sydney (left over after all the interviews are done), so luck might be on your side. Anyway, go for it and all the best of luck - you may still be in with a chance ;) Let's hope someone else has more info for you.

Warm wishes

Q