• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Thanks!

I myself have quite a complicated situation and a number of questions I am trying to figure out (my priority number is 2012EU00006xxx like uxux00):

I am currently in the US on a B-1 expiring in 3 weeks, I was preparing an EOS and the DV win came unexpected (third year I apply). I have to stay here in the next couple months conducting important business and fundraising for a startup.

So I have to keep doing my EOS and do an AOS in October. It lefts me wondering if this is not risky, ie. relying on the EOS for the DV-2012 AOS...

Also I am a bit confused about the DSP-122, *feel above in response to *happywinner said: "Yes send DSP-122 [...] to KCC to begin processing of your case", and *CraigToomy you rightfully outline than seemingly DSP-122 doesn't seem to be required according to online instructions. However it seemed to be advised left and right to send DSP-122 early for processing, so this feels a bit risky... Can I simply send a DSP-122 just as if I am doing a Consular Processing and then switch to AOS, just to be safe?

I also realize if I mail the DSP-122, do I have to do it after I send my B-1 EOS because of the double-intention issues?

Finally much less important question, I am not sure where my high-school diploma is, but I have a copy of my Master already translated and Certified. Can I just use that? The instruction say "high-school diploma" and it is the "law", a higher diploma should make sense but if instructions are taken word by word...

Do not overstay the time limit given to you to stay in the US...Do NOT.
People on B visas (extension or not) are usually not allowed to adjust status in the US unless it's an immediate relative case.

get a notarized letter from your high school principal saying you completed high school there, the years of attendance and your results.

Yes, if get accepted to the MBA program and start the classes here she can do AOS here in US. Make sure she does not go out of status even for a day.
She should file DSP-122 , 2 photos with barcode page with KCC. But I would wait until I get new I-20 from the school for August term and then send this form to KCC. It is up to you though.
Hello everyone. My roommate just found out today that she has been accepted for further processing, so I'm doing a bunch of leg work to try and help her through this process. I'm going to have a few questions and I greatly appreciate any help that anyone could give me. So I guess I'll start:

She's currently on an F-1 VISA. She graduated from a US university last May with a BA, and has spent the past year on OPT. Her F-1 expires in 2013. Oddly, her last day of employment was yesterday April 30, and she found out today that she has been selected in the lottery. She has until July 6 for work eligibility on OPT until she can no longer work. She is however applying for the MBA program here (which I think will help her chances because she will still be legally able to stay in the country), which would start in August. I'm not sure about all of the rules, but while her application is being processed for the lottery and adjustment of status, can she stay in the US until that is complete if she is no longer working or in school but has a valid F-1 VISA until 2013?

I'm leaning on telling her not to leave the country or travel back home for vacation until this process is complete. If she does not leave, I'm guessing she should file the DS-122, 2 passport style photos, the barcode sheet, and a cover letter explain that she is applying for adjustment of status?

Her case number is 2012EU00002XXX; I'm guessing that's pretty low, so she will start with the I-485 in October or November?

Thanks!

DV-2012 FY starts on October 1,2011.

In my case my case (DV-2012) number is bellow the *currently* published numbers on the bulletin, but the bulletin is still DV-2011. So if I am correct, no one should send an I-485 *this month*, right? Doesn't it start October 1st?

If you are doing CP, both are needed; but for AOS I believe DSP-122 and 2 photos are required. Are you doing AOS in USA?

7) Do I need to send passport photos with DSP-122?
8) Is form DS-230 mandatory?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you to go for CP. When you are here why don't you send DSP-230 and DSP-122 to KCC soon including a cover letter with your intention to do CP abroad?

Thanks!

I myself have quite a complicated situation and a number of questions I am trying t

o figure out (my priority number is 2012EU00006xxx like uxux00):

I am currently in the US on a B-1 expiring in 3 weeks, I was preparing an EOS and the DV win came unexpected (third year I apply). I have to stay here in the next couple months conducting important business and fundraising for a startup.

So I have to keep doing my EOS and do an AOS in October. It lefts me wondering if this is not risky, ie. relying on the EOS for the DV-2012 AOS...

Also I am a bit confused about the DSP-122, *feel above in response to *happywinner said: "Yes send DSP-122 [...] to KCC to begin processing of your case", and *CraigToomy you rightfully outline than seemingly DSP-122 doesn't seem to be required according to online instructions. However it seemed to be advised left and right to send DSP-122 early for processing, so this feels a bit risky... Can I simply send a DSP-122 just as if I am doing a Consular Processing and then switch to AOS, just to be safe?

I also realize if I mail the DSP-122, do I have to do it after I send my B-1 EOS because of the double-intention issues?

Finally much less important question, I am not sure where my high-school diploma is, but I have a copy of my Master already translated and Certified. Can I just use that? The instruction say "high-school diploma" and it is the "law", a higher diploma should make sense but if instructions are taken word by word...

I would like to make some corrections. First, if you are doing AOS in USA, you do not need to send Form I-485 now. It is sent to Chicago Lockbox later when the FY starts depending upon availability of visas for your case number. However, you should send DSP-122 and photos as soon as you can to KCC. Please note it will take 6-8 weeks sometimes for the processing of your forms.
If you have always maintained your legal status in US, never worked illegally, and entered here legally, you do not need to send I-485 supplemetal form, but rather Form G-325A and Form I-693 needs to be included with the package. Go though the instructions clearly and browse www.uscis.gov for more info

1) No.
2) www . state . gov / documents / organization / 80148.pdf
3) DOS publishes visa bulletin with "current" case numbers for this and upcoming month (see www . travel . state . gov visa bulletin bulletin_5424.html ) If your case number is below the one published in bulletin, you may file 485 this month. If you file it earlier it will be rejected.
4) $440
5) yes
6) see (3)

Hello

Thanx guys for the helpful feedbacks!!!

So I have been looking through different threads and the State Department website, but ppl are using AOS fee and DV fee interchangeably, and this has me a little confused. IS the DV fee the same as the AOS fee? Also I know there is a fee, one has to pay when filling the I-485 form ( about $1000) I think. I want to know if that is also separate from the DV fee or AOS fee ( whether they are same or different)?
Could anyone address this concern for me. Pls.
Also, I have an internship in Europe for the summer, and get back in August. I am worried that leaving the US might hurt my chances of getting my visa approved, since I plan to fill out DSP - 122 forms and paying DV fee before leaving. But I recall reading on State Dept website that one is only eligible to apply for for Advance Parole (I-131) if one is concurrently filing it with form I - 485 or has already filled Form I - 485 ( which I am not). This means I can go to Europe and get back without any problems. However I jux want to be sure.

Thanx

This is not true. People on B2 visa can adjust their status!

Do not overstay the time limit given to you to stay in the US...Do NOT.
People on B visas (extension or not) are usually not allowed to adjust status in the US unless it's an immediate relative case.

get a notarized letter from your high school principal saying you completed high school there, the years of attendance and your results.

Where did you get this info from? People on B2 visa can adjust their status once their i-94 is still valid, were selected by department of state for dv lottery, have visa number available and didn't engaged in an unauthorized work. If you are selected and on B2 visa, please seek a legal advice from immigration laywer before any further steps. Thanks.

I am a winner of DV 2012. My educationnal qualification is SSC(Seconday School Certificate). What type of experience and how many years of experience do i need to get VISA?

I don't really understand why is everyone talking about DSP-122. I've read all of the instructions thoroughly and that form is not mentioned anywhere. The only actions that we are supposed to take when we know we will be adjusting status are here:

"When the Diversity Visa Selectee is Already in the U.S.

How do I find out if I can Adjust Status if I am in the United States?

To determine whether or not you may adjust status to obtain permanent residence through the Diversity Immigrant Program, while physically present in the United States (U.S.), learn more on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. The option to adjust status in the U.S. may not be available to all applicants.

I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?

If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S.

If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the U.S.

You must complete payment of the Diversity Visa fee before processing your case can continue. Follow the instructions on the Adjustment of Status Fee Payment webpage. Bring the receipt that is mailed back to you to your interview at USCIS. Please include your DV case number on your cashier’s check or postal money order. The address on the receipt form should be used only for fee payment."

Now, I am getting a bit worried about this DSP-122. Am I right when I think that the process must have changed?

Speed limit

I got a ticket for speeding last year and I was wondering what answer I should give for question 41 (Form DS230) where they ask: have you ever been charged, arrested or convicted of any offense or crime.....?

I got a ticket for speeding last year and I was wondering what answer I should give for question 41 (Form DS230) where they ask: have you ever been charged, arrested or convicted of any offense or crime.....?

speeding ticket; regardless of the court result, is not considered as conviction of any offense or crime. so, you do not need to worry. Just check NO.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that the only thing we are supposed to do is send the $440 fee & doc from the website to Missouri, and file when our numbers come up. Anyone thinking the same thing?

From thread next door:
It looks like D-122 is still the way to go!

I cant believe this but I got selected for further processing!
case number: 2012EU00001***.

I called KC for more information because the info on the website is not all that clear. The told me I have to send to them form D122, with the barcode and 2 photographs. The next step is to wait till my number is current and I will be able to change my status. Im currently on a H1b.

I have a question though. I got engaged a couple of months ago but have not gotten married yet. Wedding is supposed to be in July. Can I include my soon to be husband in the green card or since I was not married at the time I submitted, he cannot be a dependent?

Im sooo excited I got it...I still think it must be a dream. I think I may have read the letter about 10 times!

Where did you get this info from? People on B2 visa can adjust their status once their i-94 is still valid, were selected by department of state for dv lottery, have visa number available and didn't engaged in an unauthorized work. If you are selected and on B2 visa, please seek a legal advice from immigration laywer before any further steps. Thanks.

In my response I pointed out the exception of immediate relative cases (I-130). Once persons are immediate relatives (spouse, child or parent) of US citizens who had filed I-130 for them then they can adjust with a B visa and their I-94 card. F visa holders , H visa holders, L visa holders, J visa can adjust after winning the DV lottery once they have not been out of status. Do you know any Lottery winner who has adjusted status in the US while on a B visa? If so let us know.

You are right though OP should consult a lawyer.

Hi everyone,
I have been an F-1 student here in the U.S. for 7 years. I found out Sunday morning that I was among the selectees of DV 2012, case number 2012AF00007xxx
I would like to know
1. when do I have to send the DS 230?
2. What is the filing fee? I downloaded the forms DSP 122 and DS 230 but I don't seem to find any clear instructions.
3. I am aware of the $440 but I don't know if it is for the DSP 122 or the DS 230.
4. I know I have to provide 2 photos, but I don't know if I have to send copies of my birth certificate and passport
5. My mother filed an I 130 last year for me. Does anyone know how and when can she stop the process?

Thank you so much

It is nor based on previous year's experience. If you do not send DSP-122 and your photographs you are nowhere. You have to claim that you won otherwise KCC will not care to begin processing your case.

Primarily because they're talking based on previous years experience, not 2012.