• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

feel

Registered Users (C)
This thread is for DV 2012 winners who are already in the US and plan on filing for Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi chamele0n,
Congrats for winning the DV lottery. I am DV-2011 winner doing AOS in USA right now.
You cannot apply for I-765 or I-131 until the FY begins for DV-2012 which is only after October 1, 2011 in your case. Your number has to be current in the visa bulletin before you can file these applications together with your Form I-485.
At the meantime, I would suggest you to go ahead and send the following to KCC: Form DSP-122 with 2 color photos and the bar code page ( page 2 when you print the letter online). They will then send you a letter confirming your intention to do AOS. At the mean time please read through DV 2011 AOS Only thread there is ton of info on this matter. Add your signature at the bottom.

You do not need to send the tax returns or an Affidavit of Support form I-134. You can take them with you to the interview later. Sometimes IO asks for it but not always.

I was selected for further processing and I am an F-1 student here in the US. My # is in the low thousands, I think it's coming up in October.

I understand that I have to wait 'till then to file AoS.

Can I apply for I-765 Employment Authorization right now?
Can I apply for I-131 Advance Parole right now?

I am not sure if these have to be after the AoS application. I have read somewhere that if your AoS application is delayed they send you a note offering you to file I-765 and/or I-131.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also could someone that knows tell me about proving financial support. You only need to show US tax returns if you are planning to sponsor yourself, right? If someone else "sponsors" me that hasn't been to the US they are not going to ask me for my tax returns right?

I am H-1B visa holder living in the US and lucky 2012 winner 2012EU00006xxx. I am planning to apply for Adjustment of Status. What are the next steps? The 2012 instructions are not clear. Do I still need to file form DSP-122 and DS-230 if I intend to file I-485? What else do I need to file before I can file I-485?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey guys good work in here.I stumbled on this site out of anxiety before the Ist of May and I really like what I am getting.

"Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the 2012 Electronic Diversity Visa program.
Please verify that you have entered all information correctly. You may re-check the Entry status by clicking on the ESC Home Page link below"

Pls does this statement mean I can still be selected?
Cos It seems all my guys also got the message and one of them said it is a batch by batch thingy
My Brethren pls help trash the issue....I believe in you guys

You should send DSP-122 for you and 2 photograph for you and all of your dependents. You don't need to send DS-230. Also you should send the diversity visa fee (caution: the address is different).

I am H-1B visa holder living in the US and lucky 2012 winner 2012EU00006xxx. I am planning to apply for Adjustment of Status. What are the next steps? The 2012 instructions are not clear. Do I still need to file form DSP-122 and DS-230 if I intend to file I-485? What else do I need to file before I can file I-485?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It looks like, you are not selected.

Hey guys good work in here.I stumbled on this site out of anxiety before the Ist of May and I really like what I am getting.

"Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the 2012 Electronic Diversity Visa program.
Please verify that you have entered all information correctly. You may re-check the Entry status by clicking on the ESC Home Page link below"

Pls does this statement mean I can still be selected?
Cos It seems all my guys also got the message and one of them said it is a batch by batch thingy
My Brethren pls help trash the issue....I believe in you guys

Hi All,

I'm in the US on an F1 Visa and just had the happy news that I won the lottery! And with a very low case number to boot!

2 Questions:

1) When exactly can I apply for AOS? On October 1st, when my visa number should become current according to the Visa Bulletin? Or in July, when the Visa Bulletin should *announce* that my visa number will become current in October?

2) Do I need to send the DSP-122 form and 2 photographs to the Kentucky processing center? Or do I just wait till October 1st and file I-485? And does it matter how quickly I file these forms?

3) If I have to file the DSP-122 form now, can I leave the country and legally re-enter on my F1 at the end of August, before I file for AOS?

Thanks so much!!

-happywinner

1. Earliest you can apply is October 1, 2011. You should not apply before that no matter what.
2. Yes send DSP-122 and 2 color passport photograph to KCC to begin processing of your case. You can file these today. Do not have to wait. Make sure you write a cover letter informing them that you are doing Adjustment of Status in United States.
3. If you plan to go out of country and have a valid F-1 now, I suggest you to send DSP-122 and photos as soon as you come back. I would not take any risks at this point. What is your case number? Which region? Write roughly like 2012AS00012XX so that we can all better assist you. If it is pretty low, you should get your AOS done by the end of December 2011 or January 2012. So if you can wait, wait.

Hi All,

I'm in the US on an F1 Visa and just had the happy news that I won the lottery! And with a very low case number to boot!

2 Questions:

1) When exactly can I apply for AOS? On October 1st, when my visa number should become current according to the Visa Bulletin? Or in July, when the Visa Bulletin should *announce* that my visa number will become current in October?

2) Do I need to send the DSP-122 form and 2 photographs to the Kentucky processing center? Or do I just wait till October 1st and file I-485? And does it matter how quickly I file these forms?

3) If I have to file the DSP-122 form now, can I leave the country and legally re-enter on my F1 at the end of August, before I file for AOS?

Thanks so much!!

-happywinner

Hi Feel,

Thanks for your advice! I'm European, and my case number is below 500.

1) Excellent. I'll send it off October 1st...

2) Does it matter how early I send these forms off? Should I rush to do this, or is it fine to do it in about a week? (I'm still trying to figure out some things, like whether to opt for consular processing after all, in the meanwhile.)

3) Yes, it sounds like my trip home this summer better be cancelled... I take it that waiting to file DSP-122 in early September is not a good idea?

Thanks again!

-happywinner

1. If you want to do AOS in USA send Form I-485 (and all other supporting docs and forms) on September 30, 2011 by next day air so that they reach lockbox on October 1, 2011
2. Yes, you can take your time now to decide between AOS Vs. CP. However, since your number is that low, do not take much time 'cos processing of DSP-122 might take some time. I would send them by the end of May 2011.
3. In your case it is not a good idea, I agree.

Hi Feel,

Thanks for your advice! I'm European, and my case number is below 500.

1) Excellent. I'll send it off October 1st...

2) Does it matter how early I send these forms off? Should I rush to do this, or is it fine to do it in about a week? (I'm still trying to figure out some things, like whether to opt for consular processing after all, in the meanwhile.)

3) Yes, it sounds like my trip home this summer better be cancelled... I take it that waiting to file DSP-122 in early September is not a good idea?

Thanks again!

-happywinner

Hello everyone. My roommate just found out today that she has been accepted for further processing, so I'm doing a bunch of leg work to try and help her through this process. I'm going to have a few questions and I greatly appreciate any help that anyone could give me. So I guess I'll start:

She's currently on an F-1 VISA. She graduated from a US university last May with a BA, and has spent the past year on OPT. Her F-1 expires in 2013. Oddly, her last day of employment was yesterday April 30, and she found out today that she has been selected in the lottery. She has until July 6 for work eligibility on OPT until she can no longer work. She is however applying for the MBA program here (which I think will help her chances because she will still be legally able to stay in the country), which would start in August. I'm not sure about all of the rules, but while her application is being processed for the lottery and adjustment of status, can she stay in the US until that is complete if she is no longer working or in school but has a valid F-1 VISA until 2013?

I'm leaning on telling her not to leave the country or travel back home for vacation until this process is complete. If she does not leave, I'm guessing she should file the DS-122, 2 passport style photos, the barcode sheet, and a cover letter explain that she is applying for adjustment of status?

Her case number is 2012EU00002XXX; I'm guessing that's pretty low, so she will start with the I-485 in October or November?

Thanks!

Ghanaian student in US who was selected forthe VISA lottery

Hello

Like my title says. I am a Ghanaian presently studying in the US. I heard about the lottery last year and applied while I was in college ( I am in my 2nd year in College in the US). I checked today and found that I am a selectee ( number is AF00021xxx). I really thank GOD. Despite my imperfection He continues to shower HIS GRACE on me. I didn't realize how lucky I was till I checked the number of ppl that applied. This is my first time too.

I started reading the gov website, and am really confused. I however know that I have a process which is slightly different from the normal ( AOS ). I am confused about what I have to do next. Would anyone be kind enough to walk me through the next steps to help me better understand what I am reading on the website.
These are the questions I have;
1) I checked the result online. For DV 2012, are notification letters gonna be sent by mail?
2)Where do I find the DSP-122 form. I can't seem to find it?
3) I don't quite get what being CURRENT means?
4) How much is the DV fee?
5)Does one have to fill both I-485 and I-485 Supplement forms and send the respective fees?
6)Could anyone guess a possible date when my case number becomes current ( AF0021xxx)
Also, I have an internship in Europe for the summer, and get back in August. I am worried that leaving the US might hurt my chances of getting my visa approved, since I plan to fill out DSP - 122 forms and paying DV fee before leaving. But I recall reading somewhere that one is only eligible to apply for for Advance Parole (I-131) if one is concurrently filing it with form I - 485 or has already filled Form I - 485. This means I can go to Europe and get back without any problems. However I jux want to be sure.

Thank You

2. Yes send DSP-122 and 2 color passport photograph to KCC to begin processing of your case. You can file these today.
I'm not the biggest pro here, but I think the procedure was changed for 2012.

NL1 instructs you to go to dvselectee state gov, there we see:

Diversity visa selectee already in the United States >> When the principal (primary) diversity visa selectee is already physically present in the U.S., you may be eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for adjustment of status. Click Adjust Status to learn more.

Following this link:

If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S.
[...]
You must complete payment of the Diversity Visa fee before processing your case can continue. Follow the instructions on the Adjustment of Status Fee Payment webpage.

And from there we navigate to fee payment page - (cannot post links yet) Again, no mention of DS/DSP forms.

I'm not 100% sure though.

1) I checked the result online. For DV 2012, are notification letters gonna be sent by mail?
2)Where do I find the DSP-122 form. I can't seem to find it?
3) I don't quite get what being CURRENT means?
4) How much is the DV fee?
5)Does one have to fill both I-485 and I-485 Supplement forms and send the respective fees?
6)Could anyone guess a possible date when my case number becomes current ( AF0021xxx)
1) No.
2) www . state . gov / documents / organization / 80148.pdf
3) DOS publishes visa bulletin with "current" case numbers for this and upcoming month (see www . travel . state . gov visa bulletin bulletin_5424.html ) If your case number is below the one published in bulletin, you may file 485 this month. If you file it earlier it will be rejected.
4) $440
5) yes
6) see (3)

3) DOS publishes visa bulletin with "current" case numbers for this and upcoming month (see www . travel . state . gov visa bulletin bulletin_5424.html ) If your case number is below the one published in bulletin, you may file 485 this month. If you file it earlier it will be rejected.

In my case my case (DV-2012) number is bellow the *currently* published numbers on the bulletin, but the bulletin is still DV-2011. So if I am correct, no one should send an I-485 *this month*, right? Doesn't it start October 1st?

In my case my case (DV-2012) number is bellow the *currently* published numbers on the bulletin, but the bulletin is still DV-2011. So if I am correct, no one should send an I-485 *this month*, right? Doesn't it start October 1st?
Yes, if you won DV-2012, then your cycle starts October 1st, 2011. Until that date it's still 2011.

Thanks!

I myself have quite a complicated situation and a number of questions I am trying to figure out (my priority number is 2012EU00006xxx like uxux00):

I am currently in the US on a B-1 expiring in 3 weeks, I was preparing an EOS and the DV win came unexpected (third year I apply). I have to stay here in the next couple months conducting important business and fundraising for a startup.

So I have to keep doing my EOS and do an AOS in October. It lefts me wondering if this is not risky, ie. relying on the EOS for the DV-2012 AOS...

Also I am a bit confused about the DSP-122, *feel above in response to *happywinner said: "Yes send DSP-122 [...] to KCC to begin processing of your case", and *CraigToomy you rightfully outline than seemingly DSP-122 doesn't seem to be required according to online instructions. However it seemed to be advised left and right to send DSP-122 early for processing, so this feels a bit risky... Can I simply send a DSP-122 just as if I am doing a Consular Processing and then switch to AOS, just to be safe?

I also realize if I mail the DSP-122, do I have to do it after I send my B-1 EOS because of the double-intention issues?

Finally much less important question, I am not sure where my high-school diploma is, but I have a copy of my Master already translated and Certified. Can I just use that? The instruction say "high-school diploma" and it is the "law", a higher diploma should make sense but if instructions are taken word by word...