• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Infopass

I went for an infopass this morning.
I first explained that I haven't heard anything from USCIS since I got my NOA and that I need to know what's going with my case. She replied that my case is in their office and that it is at the stage where it will be assigned an interview date but she doen't see when in the system. So I asked, how long does it take and she said that it actually just moved today to be assigned an interview date and she can't say for sure. She advised me to wait 2 weeks and if I don't get an interview letter, I should come back and they'll escalate the case to an IO.
She knew about the Sept.30th deadline and said that I have to stay on top of my case.
Second, I asked about name check, and she said that background check has been cleared. I then said that I didn't do biometrics for the DV case and she replied that it must have been updated and transferred from the EB case since I provided my A# and they used that.
She didn't mention anything else about EB case.
She then repeated the info about the interview and asked me if I have ever been out status and I said NO and then she said, make sure you have all my documents with me.

I am now assured that my case is being processed correctly!!

We received our GC on 6th. The saga of long stressful journey is over. The journey now no longer seems that painful in retrospect. Yet another journey awaits posing us challenges and opportunities.

We would like to thank this forum and all of you who helped us in one way or antoher through your posting, information sharing and empathy. We hope this forum will continue to be serving in that spirit in future too. We will be always here to put our 2 cents whenever we feel appropriate.

Wish you all who are in pipeline all the best.

soms
case no AS14***
Feb, 26 DV fee (Money order) sent to DOS
March,9 Money order returned
Mar,12 Packet FedExed to Chicago Lockbox Fedex, DV fee sent again
Mar,16 Document received at Chicago Lockbox
Mar, 20 Money order returned back again
Mar, 23 Cancelled the money order and switched to cashier’s cheque
Mar, 25 Cheque cashed by USCIS
Mar, 27 Received NOA from USCIS
Mar, 30 DOS receipt received
Mar, 27 Biometrics notice received
Apr, 17 Biometrics done
June,7 Interview letter received
July,24 Successful interview and card production ordered.
Aug, 6. GC received

I34 or 864?

hi,

I got the interview letter for next week and in the letter it says I need to bring I864 . why is this? For DV it should be I-134 .. isn't it?

Thanks
kathmandunp

Should be I-134 for DV. But some IO who are not familiar with DV, often try to ask the other one. In my own case, in the infopass, the first IO who we met, asked us to fill I-864. We researched later on and found I-134 is the one, we needed. I-864 is more demanding. If you think you can do with it, you can follow what you were asked for; simply go for it. If not, you can take infopass, and talk to IO in detail showing I-134 requirement for DV from the internet search and convince him/her for this prior to your interview.

soms
hi,

I got the interview letter for next week and in the letter it says I need to bring I864 . why is this? For DV it should be I-134 .. isn't it?

Thanks
kathmandunp

I would not suggest you filling out I-864. I-864 should not be acceptable as a substitute for I-134.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

9 FAM 42.33 N9.3 Public Charge
(CT:VISA-1090; 10-23-2008)
While many categories of immigrants must submit the legally binding Form
I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, the DV category is
not one of them. You can consult 9 FAM 40.41 for standards of processing
public charge issues in immigrant visa (IV) cases that do not involve the I-
864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act.

hi,

Thanks
kathmandunp

No, you do not need I-864. That form is required only for marriage-based or employment-based AOS. In my case, I did not take neither I864 nor I134. The IO did not ask for those forms. I just submitted my paystubs and tax form and that is it. If you do not have a job, you might need to ask a US citizen to fill the I-134 form for you.

Good luck.

I did not get any answer and I am asking the same question.

Can I travel outside the United States as soon as I received my Green Card? Or should i stay here for a period of time?

I will receive my GC in about 2 weeks at most, hopefully, and I am planning to travel early september.

Can I travel outside the United States as soon as I received my Green Card? Or should i stay here for a period of time?
If you have an ADIT stamp in your passport or plastic I-551 form, you can. You can travel, but you need to maintain residence in the US

No, you do not need I-864. That form is required only for marriage-based or employment-based AOS. In my case, I did not take neither I864 nor I134. The IO did not ask for those forms. I just submitted my paystubs and tax form and that is it. If you do not have a job, you might need to ask a US citizen to fill the I-134 form for you.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the replies. I think they are not aware of DV based immigrants and they have some common kind of template for those who file i-485. I am gonna take 134 with me and if they ask , then I will explain that 134 is the correct form for DV for Affidavit of support. Should I be ok? I think so...:)

Thanks !
kathmandunp

confusion about my situation...

Hi All,

After browsing peopel's posts, I figured that I should post my experience and seek some advice/help.

My case# is 2009AS00011XXX, and I became current in March 2009. I did my biometrics test in March. After not hearing anything after 4 months since my biometrics test completion, I made an appointment with InfoPass in July 2009.

I wanted to know when my interview would be and when I would receive the interview letter. The InfoPass guy informed me that I could speak to a deputy to ask these questions. But when I finally was able to speak to someone in the deputy's office that day, that person happened to be an interviewer. He wanted to interview me right at the spot. :eek: (I was so in shock because I didn't expect this to happen....)

Because I didn't bring anything interview-related with me, he told me to come back in four days. So next time I went back, and I did the interview in the early morning. After the interview, he said everything was fine, but he didn't take my I-94, nor did he stamped my passport. Instead, he told me that they will send my case to the National Benefit Center for further review, and if I didn't hear back from them in one month, make another appointment with InfoPass in August 2009.

When I came out, I asked the interviewer if he wanted my I-94. He asked me if I think I would get the green card. I said, "Hopefully." And then he said, "Then give me your I-94." Outside of the room, the interviewer's boss came and asked how this interview went. The interviewer said, "Bad, because the number isn't up." :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

It will be 30 days soon since my interview last month, and I will definitely have an appointment with InfoPass.

What I want to ask are:

1) Do they call people for interview based on their case number only (i.e., people from Asia would compete with each other) or do they call people for interview based on the case number within each location (i.e., people from Hong Kong or Japan would compete with people from that location only)?

2) For people having similar number as mine and who became current in March 2009, had you done your interview and received the welcome letter/green card already?

3) I don't know why that if my case number wasn't up, then how come they gave me the interview???

4) Anyone whose case was also sent back to National Benefit Center for an "adjudicative review" after the interview? :confused:

Please share your experience as I am lost about my situation right now....

Thanks. For my interview, I will take 134 and also print out these pdf files . So if they ask any question I am gonna show them the printouts.

Wish me luck :)

kathmandunp

i had the same situation, apart from i-864, it asked me for weird things like NSEERS registration,etc etc (you can read my previous posts)...Then I did infopass right away,and they told me that the letter is a template and they send the same thing to any AOS case. She asked me to bring "whatever documents you think is relevant to your case".

I should have filled out i-864 just in case and would still recommend it if you can make it....why would you leave anything gray, right??

Actually, like ItsFototo, I would recommend to do Infopass anyways...its worth it...maybe just for your satisfaction...

Anyways...dont worry...you'll get the GC soon...hang in there!!!

GC received

We received GC for both of us last weekend. My 16 month Journey is finally over!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone in this forum. Congratulations to those who already made it and good luck to anyone's who's still in the process.

It does suck to wait wait and wait....but it does pay-off finally...

i had the same situation, apart from i-864, it asked me for weird things like NSEERS registration,etc etc (you can read my previous posts)...Then I did infopass right away,and they told me that the letter is a template and they send the same thing to any AOS case. She asked me to bring "whatever documents you think is relevant to your case".

I should have filled out i-864 just in case and would still recommend it if you can make it....why would you leave anything gray, right??

Actually, like ItsFototo, I would recommend to do Infopass anyways...its worth it...maybe just for your satisfaction...

Anyways...dont worry...you'll get the GC soon...hang in there!!!

Congrats MrDVnepal...

Well I do not have time for 864 now.. I think I will convince the IO if any questions asked regarding affidavit of support.

Thanks
kathmandunp

Hello guys,
i am an 2010 winner and I'm going with AOS. I would like to ask you how does the DV lottery fee receipt look like? (The one we pay $375). I got the same paper I sent them when I was sending my fee with a date and "paid" sign on it. Is it the receipt?
Thanks in advance.

Hello guys,
i am an 2010 winner and I'm going with AOS. I would like to ask you how does the DV lottery fee receipt look like? (The one we pay $375). I got the same paper I sent them when I was sending my fee with a date and "paid" sign on it. Is it the receipt?
Thanks in advance.

That is the reciept.

goldenapple,

Your number becomes current when the bulletin shows that. I don't know what they meant by "... the number isn't up". Do you know if your background check has been cleared? I think, that is the only thing that could delay your case after the interview (or missing documents). Also, I don't know why should they send your case back to the NBC. I thought the local office is the final destination. The adjudication after the interview normally is done by the interview officer's supervisor. Often, delays occur because the staff at the local offices don't know the DV process.

Do an InfoPass sooner. Don't wait for 30 days. If your case is not resolved in 2-3 weeks, contact your gov. representatives and congressman. Remember, the deadline is Sept. 30, so don't wait. Good Luck.

Hello guys,

I am a DV 2010 winner and I am doing AOS. I would like to ask a question: Do I need to include my High School diploma even though I am sending my B.S. diploma with my I-485 application? Isn't the B.S. degree enough?

Thanks