• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Ausmatt7

Registered Users (C)
I saw a similar thread for last years crop of DV winners and thought it would be usefult to start a 2009 thread for people who are Adjusting their status ONLY. Here we can share our trials and tribulations and help eachtoher out, make sure packets are complete and exchange what we have learnt.

In my two weeks of learning this is what I have found out -
1. I believe now that Im adjusting status, there will be no further contact required with the KCC.
2. I will just need to wait until my case number becomes current (which will be October 1st based on previous years), and send my I-485 among other forms to Chicago with fees.
3. I will be also sending my I-131 (Im told at no extra charge) with this package to get advance parole, so I can go see family over christmas while my case is pending. :)

My next step is to find out what exactly this package will need to consist of and what fees I will need to pay? It seems like it pays to be ahead of the curve in this process.

Good luck to everyone and share your thoughts!

Ausmatt7 congrulations.
You can read the DV 2008 AOS forum, for this year's experiences. It was really helpful for me for my application.
Good luck !!

Thanks Ausmatt07 for starting this thread, I was about to do the same. I got my NL too and I have been reading these post while trying to educate myself on the DV process. I am about 75% sure that AOS is the way to go for my case since by judging from previous years my number would be current in Nov, plus I don't think I can take that much time off work to do CP.

This should be an interesting journey !!!

If you are doing AOS for DV 2009, please share your experience. The folks on the DV 2008 AOS thread have done a fantastic job. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stressedstudent: I am indeed Australian. SOunds like everything went smoothly for you? Did you go the AOS route?

Dematra: What stage of the process are you in. Have you thought about beginning to get your package together?

Ausmatt7,
I just got my NL on March 31st. So I figure i'll wait until May or June to send back the DS 230,122 forms to initiate the AOS process. From previous years it looks like my number will be current in November. So I guess for now not a whole lot is going on, am just trying to get more informed about the AOS process and making sure I have all documents they would need.

I am very much the same situation.

As for sending back DS 230 and 122 forms. I was of the understanding that you do not need to send those forms in. Since we are doing adjustment of status from within the US we will no longer deal with the KCC, just the USCIS directly. We will need to send in our I485 forms and all other info once our case number is current.

Ausmatt7,
You are probably right about the DS230,122 forms. What I have learnt so far is: For AOS DS230 & 122 are required, DS230 & 122 are not required and finally only DS 122 is required. I am indeed confused and apparently so are the folks at my local USCIS office.
It's hard to tell but for the time being I am preparing to send back both.

I am not sure if I did this wrong. I sent all the forms back to KCC. Should I have checked with USCIS first?

From what I read in the package that the department of state sent us titled "Attachment 2- adjusting status inside the U.S". It read "USCIS will provide intstructions on how to proceed. It will not be neccessary for you to contact the KCC for any further information or instructions if you apply to adjust status in the United State, and the KCC will not contact you again"

I took that as, don't worry abput returning the forms to KCC and go ahead and do the AOS through the USCIS. Might call on this issue though, considering the confusion.

Horizon: Im sure it will not affect you either way. But check with USICIS as well.

Ausmatt7,
You are probably right about the DS230,122 forms. What I have learnt so far is: For AOS DS230 & 122 are required, DS230 & 122 are not required and finally only DS 122 is required. I am indeed confused and apparently so are the folks at my local USCIS office.

I agree with you, I have learnt about all those options too. I was at the USCIS office on Monday and the lady told me I do not have to do anything but keep checking with USCIS for when our visa number becomes current. I think i am going to go ahead and send at least the DSP-122 though.........it will make me feel better.

Ausmatt7,

Hi guys, I remember clearly that we all had to send the forms to KCC - We all got the fee receipt from KCC, which is necessary when going to the interview.

Please double check this.

Oh and one great thing is that calling or emailing KCC is fairly efficient: They do help you and do answer your questions.

I believe you have some time to send out your first package to KCC, but the earlier will be the better. Don't forget that Murphy is right around the corner !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

Nico

Yeah. I called the KCC again and they told me to just send everything back to them. Thanks to all for responding.

------------------------
2009AS00005XXX
April 8, 2008 - Received 1st letter
April 15, 2008 - sent reply to KCC

I have heard of some people going through the AOS processes without going through an actual interview. One guy mentioned that after the biometrics he just recieved a letter in the mail saying that he had been approved and a few days later a welcome letter in the mail. their GC followed in mail another few days later.
Now my question is: Whats this all about?? Is this guy pulling my leg?

Received a letter from KCC today, 4/23, with a #EU00005***
I opt for AOS because of the airfare :-( Looks like my # should become current in October. Nothing to do so far...

Best,

Hi all,

as it is suggested in the "attachment 2" (to determine whether or not you may adjust your status you must contact the USCIS), I called today, and was told that they do not answer such questions by phone, and so I need to make an appointment with my local office to ask my questions, and if the answer is yes, then get some forms from them. I wonder whether it is really impossible to find my eligibility out in some other way? I would like to avoid a 300 miles trip.

Best,

Hi All,

Great idea to create this thread Ausmatt7.

I was reading the DV08 thread and, from what I understood, I think you still need to send the forms to KCC to let them know that you are still interested in getting the visa. A lot could have changed since you applied for the DV (e.g. decided to go back to your country, got sponsored by your employer, not interested to live in the US anymore, etc). Once you notify the KCC about your intention to continue with the process, they will forward your "file" to USCIS.

Hi All,

This is what advwinner08 from DV 2008 AOS said regarding the forms to send to KCC:

"You only need to send DSP-122 to KCC, indicating that you are going to file AOS. You do NOT need to send anything else to Kentucky; no other form, no photo. Plus, you do not need to wait for the second letter. Do not waste time since your number is current, send your wife's and your AOS applications to Chicago as soon as possible.

Answers for your questions (to be clear):
1. No, you DO NOT need to send photo to KCC; you need photos for AOS applications.
2. You do not need the second letter. The second letter will only tell you how to file AOS. You can find that information on USCIS web site.
3. Just send the DSP-122 to KCC but it is just to inform them that you are going to file AOS, and they will hold your file at KCC for USCIS (otherwise, they would send it to your home country if you asked for CP). After you file your AOS and USCIS begins to process it, USCIS will ask KCC for your file. You do not need to do anything for that communication either, it's going to be transparent to you.
4. No, you do not need to wait for anything. Send your DV fee to PA, and start preparing your AOS files right now.

As I said, do not wait for anything. AOS may take long time to be processed, so the earlier you file AOS apps, the more time you will have for it to be processed."

Hope it helps...

Hi All,

This is what advwinner08 from DV 2008 AOS said regarding the forms to send to KCC: "You only need to send DSP-122 to KCC [...]

My $0.02: I called KCC yesterday (4/24/08) and asked what I need to send them if I do AOS. They told me to send them evrything, that is all the forms.