• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

ALU4E, as long as you are going to CIS in person on 5/6 on infopass, you could try to figure out the officer's thoughts on the subject of the following post of mine: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1900881&postcount=1133 and on the possible occurance of an AOS case WITH forms DS-230 sent to KCC as well.

The officer might not know this policy immediately (because he is not the one who does adjudications and is not prepared to answer the question on the fly), but he or she will at least try to give you the answer before you leave (whether this policy is still in effect since it was published several years ago), or in the worst case will try to notify you of the policy later (by mail)

You could print the info from the original source beforehands and give it to the officer together with the link to it to simpify understanding your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Can somebody clarify on when we should exactly submit our AOS? Is it after our case number become current or after October first or ... ?!!!

Thanks.

Can somebody clarify on when we should exactly submit our AOS? Is it after our case number become current or after October first or ... ?!!!

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/MARCBOQA.pdf

Question: In late 1998 or early 1999, legacy INS issued a memorandum in which it permitted applications for adjustment of status under the Diversity Visa program to be filed 90 days in advance of an applicant’s rank cut-off. (Memorandum from Michael A. Pearson, Executive Associate Commissioner, Office of Field Operations, Acceptance of DV-related I-485 Applications During 90-day Period Preceding Cut-Off Number in the Visa Bulletin, HQ 70/23.1 (no date provided). The INS memorandum referred to a State Department memorandum advising the INS that the DOS would “provide cut-off numbers for the Diversity Immigrant category 90 days in advance.” The Department of State Visa Bulletin lists lottery rank number availability for the current month, as well as the following month. But, through this mechanism, a DV applicant has at most only 75 days advance notice. We are hearing of problems even using the current 75-day advance notice system, and we would like confirmation that the USCIS Lock Box (USCIS, P.O. Box 805887, Chicago, IL 60680-4120) is aware of the advance filing policy. Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current. Is there a mechanism in place that can assure the 90-day advance notice?

Response: The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filings within the fiscal year for which the applicant has been selected. For example, the I-485 for an applicant with an FY 2008 selection letter that filed now would be accepted assuming all filing requirements, including submission of the appropriate fee and a completed signature were included. Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance. If you believe a specific case has been improperly rejected, please provide specific information to us and we will be happy to look into the matter
So, the rule is - not earlier than 90 days before the number becomes current. However, this rule works only for the same fiscal year. So, if your number become current on August, 1, you can submit on May, 3rd (90 days in advance). However, both you and CIS do not have any knowledge of current numbers for August 1st until May 18th. That is why you can submit only on May 18th or later.
Regarding your case (when the number becomes current on October 1st) you cannot submit before October 1st, because September 30th is a different fiscal year, even though current numbers are available much earlier.

Infopass in the district office

It may be useful for some other folks doing AOS, so here is my brief report on today's visit to USCIS. Arrived on time, entered the building 10 minutes before the appointed time. Waited for an hour to be called to the window. The officer made a poor impression, and was obviously very ignorant in DV lottery questions. Am I eligible to adjust my status? - Yes, if your status is legal. What are my next steps? - Check with the visa bulletin, when your number becomes current, send your application to Chicago. Do I need to send DS-230 to KCC? - No, you don't. How about DS-122? - You don't need to send it either. Do I need to send anything to KCC? - Yeah, send them a letter indicating that you want to do AOS. Can a minor sign forms? - Yes. Can I translate the documents myself? - Yes, but it would be better if somebody else does it. That's it. The officer gave me a bunch of papers (family-based AOS application), and five minutes later I was heading back home. Summarizing, I would say that the opinion of USCIS should probably mean more (regarding DS-230, and even DS-122) for me than what I have heard from KCC (to send them everything)... I am only slightly concerned with this officer - he looked too unprofessional to believe any of his opinions :)

Did you discuss the subject of http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1901497&postcount=41 (consequences of you actually sending DS-230 to KCC instead of clear instructions not to do that)? That is CIS policy that considers AOS abandoned in the situation discussed previously.

How about DS-122? - You don't need to send it either. Do I need to send anything to KCC? - Yeah, send them a letter indicating that you want to do AOS.

I would still consider sending the letter to KCC he mentioned in the form of DSP-122 form filled out to BCIS. Technically, DSP-122 sent to CIS definitely constitutes a convenient form of a letter indicating that you want to do AOS. However, I would agree that probably even without DSP-122 everything will be fine. Especially, if you want to avoid declaring to immigration authorities whether any duplicate entries were made on your behalf, not filling out this question on the form DSP-122 or even sending this letter in a different form is a valuable option. However, a number of attorneys mentioned DSP-122 is the form to be sent to KCC. Including vice-president of AILA Wolfsdorf, who mentiones at http://www.wolfsdorf.com/DVarticles/DV article West Publishing1.pdf :

The successful winner must demonstrate compliance
with educational or experience requirements
when completing the Form DSP-122, Supplemental
Program, if immigrant visa processing abroad, or at
the time of filing when applying to adjust status.
It is not clear though, whether he means
must demonstrate compliance
with educational or experience requirements
when completing the Form DSP-122 at
the time of filing when applying to adjust status
or
must demonstrate compliance
with educational or experience requirements at
the time of filing when applying to adjust status

when your number becomes current, send your application to Chicago
This answer contradicts to CIS policy discussed here - http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1902200&postcount=44. Did you discuss this contradiction with him?

I am only slightly concerned with this officer - he looked too unprofessional to believe any of his opinions
Based on the second remark of mine above (contradiction to a published CIS policy), this opinion is, probably, correct.

So, the rule is - not earlier than 90 days before the number becomes current. However, this rule works only for the same fiscal year. So, if your number become current on August, 1, you can submit on May, 3rd (90 days in advance). However, both you and CIS do not have any knowledge of current numbers for August 1st until May 18th. That is why you can submit only on May 18th or later.

What you posted above is speculation. You don't really know what the rule is or what happens in practice. Yet you wrote your post as if you know exactly and definitively what happens. This is misleading to other people and can be a real disservice.

We don't know what the rule is or what happens in practice either. Let me try to shed some light on what we do know.

• A while ago INS issued a memo saying people can apply up to 90 days in advance of their number becoming current for DV. The memo was written for a specific DV year and it's not clear whether this memo still applies.
  • In subsequent years, some people who submitted their applications based on that memo had their case rejected. In at least one case this happened after people went through all the stages and had their interview. USCIS took the position that the above memo only applied to that year. People had to sue in federal court.
  • The document you posted is not actually a law, regulation, or a formal memo that indicates how USCIS proceeds. It's issued by the the USCIS Community Relations. And if you read the answer, it says "Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance." In plain English, they're still trying to figure out what their policy is.
  • If you look at the question itself. You can see that "Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current." This further confirms that in practice such applications are sometimes rejected.

Here is what I would conclude from this, using common sense:

• USCIS is inconsistent in when you can submit your DV I-485.
  • If you submit early, your application might be rejected. The application receipt takes 2-8 weeks to receive, so you won't know for a while if your application was rejected, and you may loose valuable time.
  • If you submit when your application is current, say overnight on the last day of the previous month, you'll be safe for sure.

As a strictly personal opinion, if you number becomes current in Jan or before, I don't think you gain much by submitting early. If your number becomes current in April or later, you should really consider doing CP.

(There may be legal/personal reasons why you can't do CP - think it through/talk with an attorney.)

What you posted above is speculation.
Really? CIS memo is a speculation? Could you describe me what a speculation is and how it differs from an official policy? It seems to me in your opinion there is no difference. That is really very sad to hear.
You don't really know what the rule is or what happens in practice. Yet you wrote your post as if you know exactly and definitively what happens. This is misleading to other people and can be a real disservice.
I just brought here the official CIS policy.

We don't know what the rule is or what happens in practice either. Let me try to shed some light on what we do know.

* A while ago INS issued a memo saying people can apply up to 90 days in advance of their number becoming current for DV. The memo was written for a specific DV year and it's not clear whether this memo still applies.
If you look at the date here, this CIS document is written on March 25, 2008, and was revised on April, 3, 2008.
Do you mean it was changed since then during the month of April?
* In subsequent years, some people who submitted their applications based on that memo had their case rejected. In at least one case this happened after people went through all the stages and had their interview. USCIS took the position that the above memo only applied to that year. People had to sue in federal court.
Could you bring me the reference where it mentions it was for a specific year only? Looks like you invented this piece of information.

* The document you posted is not actually a law, regulation, or a formal memo that indicates how USCIS proceeds. It's issued by the the USCIS Community Relations. And if you read the answer, it says "Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance." In plain English, they're still trying to figure out what their policy is.

The original document is still available. I'll find it and bring it to here. Do you really believe this document has never existed? CIS does not try to figure out what policy is. That is out of the question. CIS is trying to coordinate effort to double check everybody is aware of the policy so that the policy is followed by everybody.

* If you look at the question itself. You can see that "Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current." This further confirms that in practice such applications are sometimes rejected.
That is true. That is why CIS mentions:
If you believe a specific case has been improperly rejected, please provide specific information to us and we will be happy to look into the matter.

I would probably agree that in some cases (when rank number is small and the case is not time sensitive) it is safe to wait until the case becomes current. In time sensitive cases the situation may be reversed.

I was referring to the case as to the policy and the CIS officer was supposed to follow it.

I added year numbers and emphasis to my original post, since you seemed to misinterpret it. Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough.

Regarding your case (when the number becomes current on October 1st) you cannot submit before October 1st, because September 30th is a different fiscal year, even though current numbers are available much earlier.

What you posted above is speculation. You don't really know what the rule is or what happens in practice. Yet you wrote your post as if you know exactly and definitively what happens. This is misleading to other people and can be a real disservice.

• A while ago, in 1999, INS issued a memo saying people can apply up to 90 days in advance of their number becoming current for DV. The memo was written for a specific DV year and it's not clear whether this memo still applies.
  • In subsequent years, some people who submitted their applications based on that 1999 memo had their case rejected. In at least one case this happened after people went through all the stages and had their interview. USCIS took the position that the above memo only applied to that year. People had to sue in federal court.
  • The document you posted from 2008 is not actually a law, regulation, or formal memo that indicates how USCIS proceeds. It's issued by the the USCIS Community Relations. And if you read the answer, it says "Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance." In plain English, they're still trying to figure out what their policy is.
  • If you look at the question itself. You can see that "Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current." This further confirms that in practice such applications are sometimes rejected.

• If you submit early, your application might be rejected. The application receipt takes 2-8 weeks to receive, so you won't know for a while if your application was rejected, and you may loose valuable time.
  • If you submit when your application is current, say overnight on the last day of the previous month, you'll be safe for sure.

As a strictly personal opinion, if you number becomes current in Jan or before, I don't think you gain much by submitting early. If your number becomes current in April or later, you should really consider doing CP.

(There may be legal/personal reasons why you can't do CP - think it through/talk with an attorney.)

- The DV 2008 thread reflects a high degree of satisfaction with the service from KCC and a very low degree of satisfaction with the results of any request for information from USCIS.

Unrelated to the previous discussion, I completely agree with this point. From my experiences with them over 6+ years, at the embassy and at KCC, the Department of State is a high-quality organization.

USCIS never really had a reputation for being a high-quality organization. And lately it has come under enormous stress because of a flood of applications.

Anyway, for DV 2009 winners who are debating between CP and AOS, I want to suggest looking into the DV 2008 thread to estimate your timelines. Especially note that some AOS cases go very smooth and fast and are completed in 2.5 months. Others hit strange bureaucratic delays and take 6+ months. In the past, some cases got stuck past Sept 30 and people did not get their green card.

They have had several different memos come out lately which have said:
- File only when number current at time of receipt.
- File only when number will be current soon according to Visa Bulletin.
- File anytime after Oct 1.

All within the last three months. They really have no idea what goes on operationally, either at the Lockbox or at the DOs. The people who write these memos in Washington seem to not be well connected with the people who actually process cases. This is not particularly surprising.

People have done all of these things and have had various results:
- Approved even when number not current at time of approval. (this year!)
- Rejected at mailroom, had to resubmit, no loss of fee (last year a few times)
- Rejected at district office after months of waiting as not current when filed, a total disaster (last year once as I recall, a nightmare, you have lost the GC)
- Became current while processing and then approved

No one has the right answer on this and it in large part will come down to luck. We filed when our number was actually current (first business day of month). Others may make a different call and the decision can be pretty interesting actually, especially if you don't think your number will ever be current.

On a slightly different topic, I noticed that DHS has statistics on LPR petitions granted every year. http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/ Under diversity based LPR category they only issued about 42,000 in 2007. I wonder if that number includes principle applicants only or does that number include other beneficiaries i.e. spouse and children of a DV selectee. Hmmmmmmm........

On a slightly different topic, I noticed that DHS has statistics on LPR petitions granted every year. http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/ Under diversity based LPR category they only issued about 42,000 in 2007. I wonder if that number includes principle applicants only or does that number include other beneficiaries i.e. spouse and children of a DV selectee. Hmmmmmmm........

The Department of State also releases how many visa numbers have been issued to Diversity Visa winners (AOS + CP), by year, region and even country. See the Report of the Visa Office 2007, specificallyTable VII. I believe the DoS numbers include derivative applicants as well.

What's really interesting is that the numbers don't match! In some years, the report numbers are higher than the DoS numbers and in some lower.

Did you discuss the [...] consequences of you actually sending DS-230 to KCC
Well, I tried to, although not very successful, or better to say, not successful at all :) As I mentioned in my previous post, I asked whether I need to send DS-230. The answer was no, so I said that there are many contradicting views coming from first hand experience. I began asking about possibility of abandoning AOS application because if DS-230 sent to KCC, but the guy interrupted me, and repeated: don't send it, have you heard me?..

I would still consider sending the letter to KCC he mentioned in the form of DSP-122
I think I'll do both - DSP-122 and a short letter, telling that I am doing AOS.

This answer contradicts to CIS policy discussed here - http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1902200&postcount=44. Did you discuss this contradiction with him?
I asked about the best time to send an application. He took a printout of the visa bulletin (May/June), asked me if I understand what it is about, and told me to send when my number is current. I again mentioned other options - a month before, 90 days before (I did not tell him about the source) - but he simply stopped me, and in a rather rude way asked if I understand the English language... His final invective was especially funny because of his strong Mexican accent :)

Here is the original policy memo I promised to bring to your attention:

http://www.vkblaw.com/news/six.htm

U.S. Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service

HQ 70/23.1-

Office of the Executive Associate Commissioner
425 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20536

MEMORANDUM FOR: ALL REGIONAL DIRECTORS

ALL SERVICE CENTER DIRECTORS

Executive Associate Commissioner
Office of Field Operations

SUBJECT:

Acceptance of DV-related I-485 Applications During 90-day Period Preceding Cut-Off Number in the Visa Bulletin

DATE: 19 JAN 1999

This memorandum is being issued in order to ensure uniform processing of applications for adjustment of status under the Diversity Immigrant (DV) category.

Section 245 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (the Act) requires that an application for adjustment of status may not be filed until a visa number is currently available. Recently, the Department of State issued a memorandum advising the Immigration and Naturalization Service that each month it would provide the cut-off numbers for the Diversity Immigrant category 90 days in advance. This advance notice is being provided to allow the INS additional time to process the background checks for DV applicants.

All offices are hereby advised that applications for adjustment of status filed under the Diversity Immigrant program may be accepted for processing any time during the 90-day period preceding the cut-off date provided in the Visa Bulletin. Offices are advised, however, that while the applications may be accepted for the processing of background checks and scheduling for interviews, visa numbers will not be issued until the cut-off date is current.

A while ago, in 1999, INS issued a memo saying people can apply up to 90 days in advance of their number becoming current for DV. The memo was written for a specific DV year and it's not clear whether this memo still applies.
Right the opposite. The memo was written without regard to a specific year, and from CIS answer as of April 2008 it is pretty much clear it still applies

In subsequent years, some people who submitted their applications based on that 1999 memo had their case rejected. In at least one case this happened after people went through all the stages and had their interview. USCIS took the position that the above memo only applied to that year. People had to sue in federal court.
You contradict yourself. If the matter was resolved by the court, it is clear that is the law, not the policy.

The document you posted from 2008 is not actually a law, regulation, or formal memo that indicates how USCIS proceeds. It's issued by the the USCIS Community Relations. And if you read the answer, it says "Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance." In plain English, they're still trying to figure out what their policy is.
Quite the opposite. The discussion was initiated to make everybody aware of the policy. The policy itself is not discussed, it is clear.

If you look at the question itself. You can see that "Some attorneys report that such advance DV-Lottery I-485 adjustments (as described above) have been rejected under the premise that the DV-Lottery rank is not current." This further confirms that in practice such applications are sometimes rejected.
Were rejected. And CIS is making efforts to make sure that will never happen again.

Unrelated to the previous discussion, I completely agree with this point. From my experiences with them over 6+ years, at the embassy and at KCC, the Department of State is a high-quality organization.

USCIS never really had a reputation for being a high-quality organization. And lately it has come under enormous stress because of a flood of applications.
So what? You do not beleive USCIS will make all their officers aware of this memo? That contradicts your previous statement that that was is a policy. And that contradicts another statement of yours that the matter was resolved in court (which means that is a law).

They have had several different memos come out lately which have said:
- File only when number current at time of receipt.
- File only when number will be current soon according to Visa Bulletin.
- File anytime after Oct 1.
Really? Where are all those memos? There was only one I just showed you. Give me reference to other. Otherwise I suspect you invented all them.

All within the last three months.
All memos? Wow! That will be much easier for you to find them for me (even though I found you a 9-year old memo). Please do not invent memos for CIS. You are not a CIS director yet.

People have done all of these things and have had various results:
- Rejected at mailroom, had to resubmit, no loss of fee (last year a few times)
- Rejected at district office after months of waiting as not current when filed, a total disaster (last year once as I recall, a nightmare, you have lost the GC)
- Became current while processing and then approved
Consulates also have a lot of mistakes. That does not mean the policy in not clear. That means mistakes happen. As long as you mention you know a reference to the policy, they both easily correct themselves.

This is the problem of NVC, not of CIS. CIS cannot approve anything without visa number. If NVC issued a visa number when the rank number was not current, that has nothing to do with CIS. And I do not really beleive you with this. I could believe the interview was before the number became current. But I cannot beleive the approval was.

No one has the right answer on this and it in large part will come down to luck.
I just showed you the right answer, which was confirmed by CIS a month ago.

I am a winer of DV2008, my case was very smooth, I got the GC in 2.5 months, you can read about my experience on the AOS08 topic. I did a lot of research for the AOS process starting with the moment I got my notification letter (April07) until the interview (Febr 08). If you are a winer of DV09 and you want to do AOS, I strongly suggest you take some time to read other people's experiences first (2007/2008 threads) before you decide what to do. I'll never encourage anyone to send the documents to Chicago before his/her number becomes current, it's a risk you don't want to take.

I wish you all good luck with the AOS process and if I can help anyone with an advise (even though each case is different) please let me know.

Here is the original policy memo I promised to bring to your attention [...]

This is a very strong memo, thank you for posting a link. It gives three extra months. The only question is whether different departments recognize each other's memos. INS was under Dept. of Justice, then it ceased to exist some 5 years ago, and Dept. of Homeland Security was created at that time to host BCIS/USCIS, ICE, and CBP. Can it happen, that this memo is not valid for the new Department? I wish it is not so...

Change in organizational structure is not a good point to get rid of all accumulated policies. Generally all policies that were valid before changing the sructure, remain valid immediately after. Otherwise the system becomes unpredictable. That is not the point.
What the question at stakeholder meeting was - was to confirm nothing has changed throughout the years since acceptance. The policy is still in effect, and CIS is making sure everybody is aware of it.

I'll never encourage anyone to send the documents to Chicago before his/her number becomes current, it's a risk you don't want to take.
Any particular examples of this risk here on the forum? Or anywhere else? I am just asking for real examples of problems, not for the fact that problems seldomly occured, as everywhere.

Is there really any benefit one gains from filing 90 days in advance? It seems folks who sent in their AOS app package when their number was current got their GC just fine. So what difference does it make? Am I missing something?

If you have a high rank number (that becomes current in September) and at the same time are desperate in doing AOS (versus CP, to which you are not eligible), then you have a huge benefit because of those 90 days. They will start processing you application and will schedule the interview before the end of the year.
That is just one example. Another example. Sometimes it takes a lot of time for CIS to do AOS process. It might take even 10 months or more. CP is quicker, but if you still want to do AOS, it could take time.
There are other examples as well.

You might not be eligible for CP, or you might be afraid or reluctant to go to your home country because of numerous reasons. Anyway, if you want to proceed with AOS, you need more time which you do not have, and those 90 days (actually, 75, since DOS changed notification policy from 105 days in advance to 75 days in advance) give you more freedom.