• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS only

HI JUGNU,
FIRST OF ALL, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OTHER WORK VISAS BUT IN OUR CASE, WHILE YOU'RE ON OPT, YOUR VISA IS F1. IT'S NOT AN ACTUAL WORK VISA, IT'S JUST A STUDENT VISA. WE ASKED ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE SAID TO OUR IMMIGRATION OFFICER AT SCHOOL WHEN WE APPLIED TO OPT, AND SHE SAID THAT IT'S JUST A PERMIT, IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO FIND A JOB OR YOUR VISA WILL EXPIRE.
FOR YOUR 2ND QUESTION, OUR VISA HAS EXPIRED ON FEBRUARY 1ST BUT WE HAVE 60 MORE DAYS TO BE OUT OF STATUS AND THEREFORE, ILLEGAL. SO WE'RE NOT OUT OF STATUS YET.
AND ACCORDING TO MY READINGS ON THE FORUM, ONCE YOU'VE SUBMITTED YOUR AOS CASE TO THE USCIS, YOU'RE IN A "PENDING" SITUATION SO IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR VISA HAS EXPIRED OR NOT. I HOPE AND THINK THAT'S TRUE. I THINK THEY WOULDN'T PROCESS OUR CASE IF IT WASN'T UP TO DATE. THE USCIS OFFICER DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT BEING OUT OF STATUS.
THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERNS AND I HOPE THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH OUR CASE.

Hi EKMEKCHI,

There can be two issues abt your case that officer need to consult a supervisor.

-Your first post reads that your husband did not find work on OPT.I might be wrong but on any kind of work visa like OPT,H1B or J1 if someone is out of work that means technically out of status.I dont wanna pannic you please do more research and consult some attorney for opnion.

-Your status got expired before the interview,this is the gray area of the law that USCIS does not really enforce but one has to be in some type of non immigrant status at the time of interview as well, responsibility of status rests on applicant.

This is my opnion and I welcome others to shed some light and wish you all the best with the process.

Jugnu

F-1 student going for interview (Need Help)

OMG, I should have found out about this forum earlier! I'm a DV-2007 winner and I was doing all the process on my own :

I'm here on F-1 student Visa

- April 2006 Got the NL and was so excited :) (back in CA)
- I didn't know about the whole number thing the only thing I understood is to wait until October and then go to the AOS
- I didn't send any thing back to KCC
- I moved to GA to get my MA
- Sent my packet without receipt and without I-134 Affidavit of Support
- Jan 3rd : Case Recieved and FP notice was sent
- 2 weeks after got my FP taken in SC
- Just got my interview letter, Atlanta on April 2nd

Now, I realized the stupid mistake of not paying the fee to DOS ($375.00) I believe, so is there any way to make the process faster? like personal checks or money order, send a cover letter with it, etc?

Do I really need the I-134 as a student?

Any ideas about questions in the interview? suggestions?

I know I got lucky so far so I don't wanna screw things up! :)

Thanks fellow DV winners :)

OMG, I should have found out about this forum earlier! I'm a DV-2007 winner and I was doing all the process on my own :

I'm here on F-1 student Visa

- April 2006 Got the NL and was so excited :) (back in CA)
- I didn't know about the whole number thing the only thing I understood is to wait until October and then go to the AOS
- I didn't send any thing back to KCC
- I moved to GA to get my MA
- Sent my packet without receipt and without I-134 Affidavit of Support
- Jan 3rd : Case Recieved and FP notice was sent
- 2 weeks after got my FP taken in SC
- Just got my interview letter, Atlanta on April 2nd

Now, I realized the stupid mistake of not paying the fee to DOS ($375.00) I believe, so is there any way to make the process faster? like personal checks or money order, send a cover letter with it, etc?

Do I really need the I-134 as a student?

Any ideas about questions in the interview? suggestions?

I know I got lucky so far so I don't wanna screw things up! :)

Thanks fellow DV winners :)

1. You you haven't done so already send FORMS back to KCC asap. Read the NL again carefully and see what it says.

2. Send Payment to Dept. of State NOW using slip in NL. Money Order. It'll take 5-10 days to get a receipt which you will need for your interview.

3. I-134 is optional if you have ways of demonstrating you are not going to become public charge, bank statements or a job offer or something that shows you are not going to become destitute!

GOOD LUCK!

Barbara

My AOS experience:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=229911

Do I have to send any forms back to KCC, it says that if I'm going to AOS I do not have to contact the KCC anymore!
I will be sending the payment tomorrow/

YES

Send those forms NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then KCC will process them and forward them to either a Consulate or Embassy for people doing CP, or LIKE IN YOUR CASE to your local AOS office as stated in one of the forms where it asks you whether you want to do CP or AOS.

Fill in the forms, make copies for yourself and send them. Then you can email or call KCC explaining that you've just done this almost one year later! This way they will know to speed it up. Or if you prefer call KCC first. They are very helpful, don't worry about "do not contact KCC if you are doing AOS", they are really helpful.

At the interview the officer will have looked through your AOS package and the forms sent by KCC, as a matter of fact you will be asked to sign one of them after taking the oath. So, you see, if the forms are not there your interview will not be completed on that day.

Call KCC, tell them what happened and send the forms.

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE _ I MISSED MY INTERVIEW DATE

SOMEHOW I JUST RECEIVED THE MAIL TODAY 03/13 10pm AND MY INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED FOR 03/13 7.30am
ANY ADVICE????

HI BARBARA,
I JUST WANT TO ASK YOU SOMETHING. YOU'VE MENTIONED ABOUT SIGNING SOME FORMS AFTER YOU TOOK THE OATH.
WHICH FORMS WERE THOSE? AND WHY DO THEY NEED YOU TO SIGN ANYTHING?
THEY HAVEN'T ASKED US TO SIGN ANYTHING IN OUR INTERVIEW. I'M CURIOUS NOW.

YES

Send those forms NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then KCC will process them and forward them to either a Consulate or Embassy for people doing CP, or LIKE IN YOUR CASE to your local AOS office as stated in one of the forms where it asks you whether you want to do CP or AOS.

Fill in the forms, make copies for yourself and send them. Then you can email or call KCC explaining that you've just done this almost one year later! This way they will know to speed it up. Or if you prefer call KCC first. They are very helpful, don't worry about "do not contact KCC if you are doing AOS", they are really helpful.

At the interview the officer will have looked through your AOS package and the forms sent by KCC, as a matter of fact you will be asked to sign one of them after taking the oath. So, you see, if the forms are not there your interview will not be completed on that day.

Call KCC, tell them what happened and send the forms.

Barbara

Hi EKMEKCHI,
We are going for interview tomorrow, what did they ask you? Can you please tell me detail? Thanks

Hi Jugnu786
Can you please tell about your interview experiences, we are going for that tomorrow.? Thanks

EKMEKCHI,

In one of the forms that were in your NL you were asked to fill it it but not sign it, that is because people are asked to sign it at the interview after taking the oath. Review your copy of the KCC forms and see what it says.

You've already had your interview, I'm sure you've signed something. If not you will probably be asked to do so when your case is resolved.

Don't worry, just keep an eye on your case.

Barbara

Hi Barbara
I think you have signed the form DS 230(there it asks to fill but not to sign). My concern is- we did not send back DS230 to KCC (we called KCC before sending them) we just sent DSP122. Probably EKMEKCHI also sent back KCC DSP122 Only.

Hi folks,
I went for an infopass yesterday and you won't believe what i learned. The officer who was handling our approved case was "sleeping on the job". He failed to make notes on our case and update our status online. This was the reason why we didn't receive any welcome letter. One of the officers contacted him to make the updates on our case. After this we insisted on getting our passports stamp which they weren't willing to do until we told them that we needed to travel for an emmergency. One of the officers who was very reluctant to stamp our passports finally agreed to give us only 60days stamp but the actual officer who was suppose to give us the stamp gave us one year's stamp. I just noticed this morning that there's been an update on my online case status, that says the welcome letters have been mailed and that we will receive our green card shortly.

Does anyone know of someone whose interview notice arrived after ir the day of the interview?????

Im currently in that dilema - Its like my worst nightmare

Hi blessed123,

Take the first open infopass and get it fixed!!!This happened to folks in the past and they were very considerate abt.it.Infopass would be the only fastest way that I think gonna work for you.

Second option call 1800 and explain them your situation they might let you talk to someone at your local office.Act fast they need to know you missed it not that you didnot appear.

Jugnu

Hi Rahim,

Here is the copy of my interview post on 01/04/07.

Hi guys,

Today we went for interview in Memphis USCIS and everything went pretty smooth.My wife GC is approved and mine is pending due to background checks.The officer said it is on average taking 4-6 months and mine was initiated in october.

He just verified the basic information name,address,parents first names etc.He also verified std yes or no questions of I485 application.

We were asked to show

-Passports & Id's
-Birth Certificates
-Marriage Certificate
-DV fee Receipt

Our interviewer were a nice guy and it seemed if I had insisted he had given me his e-mail address for status checks.

Anyway we have kind of mix feelings and hoping my NC will clear soon.

Jugnu

Here is the copy of my interview post on 01/04/07.

...mine is pending due to background checks.The officer said it is on average taking 4-6 months and mine was initiated in october.

Jugnu: I am in the same boat as you. Wife has her GC now and my NC is also pending: Started process same time as you and our interview was a day before yours.

At the end of this month the 4-6 month window is up and I haven't heard anything. I will take an info pass at the beginning of April but I know that the answer will be the same because they just look up your status on the computer anyway and don't have any further access.

Was it you or your wife that won the DV?

Hey Barbara,
I called the KCC and they said that they already sent my file to Atlanta office on January 31st, I asked her if I needed to send them any forms and she said no, as long as I'm not doing the CP I do not have to return anything to KCC anymore and that my file now is at atlanta office for the interview, I also called the FBI and they said that my FP results were sent back to USCIS as well. I'm now so worried that I might have screwed things up. I just sent my payment to DOS with a self-return first class envlope. My interview is April 2nd.