Do unemployed , elderly parents need to file Tax Return

kuchchbhee

Registered Users (C)
I am back in the game... and every time i return it seems to get tough.

My parents are planing to return to US after living in India for almost 11.5 months. First thing i want to do is file Re Entry Permit for them just in case they decide to go back in a month. Technically, i know they should have filed their TAX returns for the past 3 years they have held Green Card... even though they have spent majority of their time in India.

My question, does the fact they have not been filing tax-returns can become a problem in processing re-entry Permit?

Did they have income? If they didn't have income, they probably didn't need to file. (though they might be able to get some tax credits if they filed)

Did they have income? If they didn't have income, they probably didn't need to file.

No they did not have any income in US. Their income in India (investments, pension etc.) is below Taxable income of India.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they did not have any income in US. Their income in India (investments, pension etc.) is below Taxable income of India.

What matters as far as filing US tax returns is concerned is whether their income is below the taxable threshold for the US. And even if their income is below that threshold, they may have to file FBAR with the IRS if their overseas accounts have more than US$10,000 (or equivalent in non-US currency). See http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...nancial-Accounts-(FBAR)---Filing-Requirements

Last edited by a moderator: