Do I require to carry GC always?

I stopped carrying mine after 911. If i was to loose my wallet i would loose my GC and DL. Replacing my GC would be hard and expensive but i could not get my DL replaced with out a GC. i just thought it would be easier just not to carry it. Also i have never been asked for it nor have i ever seen a uscis checkpoint anywhere.
Just my 2 cents worth

Hey theDeepsea even though your thread about donation for my wig is closed, I wanted to thank you for your effort. That was a good one... it made me laugh from deep inside... I will make it easier on you guys and get Rogaine foam (the new one that is easier to apply).

When I replaced my DL, they did NOT ask for my GC at all, only asked for my SSN card....
That is very state-dependent. Some states won't ask for anything immigration-related, some won't ask it for green card holders who are renewing or replacing but will ask it for your first license as a green card holder, some will ask green card holders to show the card every time.

Never carried for 4 years 9 months except on international or domestic air travel. Carried a photocopy always. Law says requires it, but common sense prevails. If I am on a vacation in disney land and on a roller coaster, I do not want to carry it as once my wallet got thrown out.

Isn't it Texas or one of the border states that is not allowed to ask for CG when for example pulling someone over. I remember this big story on the news a long time ago.

No way. I'll loose it and I have to pay $$ and can't do nothing in this country. If I loose my job, there is no way they accept copy. They want original! Going to SSA for copy of SSN, original GC or Fu... OFF sir!

I carry only DL and credit cards. GC is in my safe until n400 interview and oath. Later I will carry passcard.

No way. I'll loose it and I have to pay $$ and can't do nothing in this country. If I loose my job, there is no way they accept copy. They want original! Going to SSA for copy of SSN, original GC or Fu... OFF sir!

I carry only DL and credit cards. GC is in my safe until n400 interview and oath. Later I will carry passcard.

I totally agree with this. There is no need to carry GC all the time. I only carry a copy just to have the A # with me although I have it memorized. Losing GC can cause too much pain and grief and besides till date not one individual has ever been prosecuted for not carrying GC, at least not that I know of. This is simply phobia and nothing else.

Why carry ?

USCIS also told you to carry your H1 papers at all times (i.e when you were on H1 or whatever status prior to GC), did you carry all those documents with you in your car, to the office, to your kid's playgorund and to your client locations ??

Likewise I am not sure how one gets the impression that some official will question your status in any of these locations ? Assuming you were a Citizen, what would you do to prove that..carry a passcard or US passport with you all the time ?

I think the thumb rule is that you keep your GC handy "at all times during travel (sometimes domestic too)"

Lets assume someone questions your status, you will still be given adequate time to prove it in the event you dont have it with you instantly.

It's a wise option to leave it home understanding very well how tedious, stressful, timeconsuming it can get to request a duplicate from USCIS. And every official will acknowledge this reasoning without a second thought. That's my opinion

This link clarifies the issue somewhat, especially question/answers 3 and 4:

Q3. You said that the law requires that I have my documents with me "at all times." Is that true? Do I really have to carry my passport and documents with me to class/work every day and all over Mobile? Stuff could get lost or stolen.
A3. DHS has generally not strictly enforced the "at all times" language. In practice the law has been satisfied by an expectation that you would be able to produce your documents within a reasonable time – to get them from your apartment or safe deposit box, for example.

When you travel away from Mobile (or wherever you live), there is not a reasonable expectation that you could just pop home and grab your documents. You need to carry them with you for domestic travel.

Q4. I have flown or taken the train or bus several times in the U.S. I have driven to other cities and states. I have never been asked for these documents. Is this a new law or regulation? Why isn’t it enforced all the time?
A4. This is not a new law, and in certain parts of the U.S., such as along the borders, it is common for officials to ask to see registration documents. As security procedures are heightened throughout the U.S., we can expect that everyone will be asked for more identification. For international students and scholars the most common item of identification is the passport and the most common forms of evidence of lawful status in the U.S. are the I-94 card accompanied by the appropriate visa document (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, etc.) Although transportation lines and law enforcement officers do not ask for these documents 100% of the time, they do have the right to. And if asked, you are supposed to have those documents with you. We are advising all internationals at South Alabama of the possibility of requests for registration documents at transportation terminals or elsewhere even if the flight, train, bus, or car does not leave the U.S.

http://www.southalabama.edu/enrollmentservices/domestictravel.html

I used to carry mine in my wallet all the time but then I have to go through a border patrol checkpoint every day to work (I live near the Mexico border) so there was always a chance they would ask to see it. Usually it was enough to tell them I had a GC but a couple of times I had to show it.

Sadly, since getting my citizenship they have never asked my status so I am yet to get to say I am a citizen to anyone official :(

So, anyway, I say use your common sense in whether you carry your GC around or not, but be sure to remember it when you think you might need it.