Do I require to carry GC always?

perm_lc

Registered Users (C)
I would like to get idea from senior folks going for citizenship. Is it mandatory to carry GC always with us like driver license? How many of you carry GC in your wallet always? Is it better to keep it in a safe place like bank lockers? Experts advise please..

I used to carry my GC with me in my wallet. I don't do that anymore for obvious reasons. However, I know a bunch of people who don't carry it for fear of losing it. The law says to carry it, common practice is that pretty much nobody carries it. Some people put them in bank boxes, or at home in a safe place. I think some people carry photocopies (although they won't work as valid documents). However, it might help if one gets stopped by immigration and they need to check your status through your A#.

I would like to get idea from senior folks going for citizenship. Is it mandatory to carry GC always with us like driver license? How many of you carry GC in your wallet always? Is it better to keep it in a safe place like bank lockers? Experts advise please..

Yes, you must carry it all times in order to present your immigrant status when required.

Thank you all. What about minor children? Should my kids (or I) should carry their GC always?

I will advice you to make a copy , have "COPY" written across it and laminate it . Just to proof your permanent residence. Since I got mine i never take it out unless for job or important purpose. I know a friend of mine that lost his greencard , has applied over a year and not recieved a new one yet.

You know its very important in the citizenship application process.

my 2cents......

I guess the real question would be how many GC holders have actually ever been requested to show and present their GC ? I am a GC holder since 1997 and the answer in my case would be ZERO TIMES unless I was traveling internationally. However I do carry mine in my wallet together with my military ID and driver's license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minors do not need to carry the Green Card with them, and as far as I know there is no requirement for the father to carry for them. How can you guarantee that the parent who is with the child always has the card? I mean, the child could be with one or other parent.

The parent may not always be with the child but the parent or legal guardian is ultimately responsible for all legal documents of the child. As to whether USCIS actively enforces their requirement that every LPR carry their GC is another question.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I never did. I was afraid someone would steal my wallet or I would lose it. I had my Military ID and my Drivers Lisence and I always said I rather just pay a fine for not carrying it then pay the money to replace it and ontop of it. I NEVER was ask to show proof even when I had to fill out several MP reports and it ask for my nationality

I carry my GC in my wallet all the time and because of that I make sure that I am always the owner of my wallet....

Make of this what you'd like. I don't think there is any requirement for a parent to carry around his child's GC, that's silly:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=cb90c19a50729fb47fb0686648558dbe

"(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. "

I don't carry my GC with me except when travelling internationally. Have yet to get into any trouble for this ;)

If absolutely needed, I'd probably carry a copy of it in my wallet, laminated, as recommended above.

Sorry Folks...

I've had my GC since 1995 and I've NEVER had it on me! It sat in my desk drawer the entire time. The only time I take that baby out is when I needed for my N400 application purposes (fingerprinting, interview, etc.).

People loose wallets daily, you want to chance that?

No need to carry on you 24/7 if you're in the 50 states full-time, regardless what the USCIS says, unless you travel internationally frequently.

Trust me, no immigration officer will ask you, "did you carry your GC with you daily since you got the GC?" during your N400 interview!

I think common sense prevails on whether you need to carry your green card. Since USCIS doesn't make it easy to replace a stolen or lost GC it seems to make more sense not to carry it on you at all times as is required by the law and to keep it in a safe area instead. Better yet, scan it into a jpeg file and save that file (encrypted or password protected) on your web email account for easy retrieval when needed.

I stopped carrying mine after 911. If i was to loose my wallet i would loose my GC and DL. Replacing my GC would be hard and expensive but i could not get my DL replaced with out a GC. i just thought it would be easier just not to carry it. Also i have never been asked for it nor have i ever seen a uscis checkpoint anywhere.
Just my 2 cents worth